Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

JaMarcus Russell to get tryout with the Bears

Dustin

I seriously doubt that JM will make the the Bears squad. Jay Cutler has nothing to worry about IMO. I don't a darn if Jeff Garcia was his personal fitness trainer. He hasn't been hit or tackled yet in a LIVE game in a longtime. It's like watching a hippo run IMO..Or this children's board game... haha

ee0b_hungry_hungry_hippos_ipad.jpg

I'm pretty sure JM still has a decent arm to fling the ball, but I've never been sure how quickly he goes through his progressions & how wisely he makes decisions LIVE with DE's & LB's barreling down on you & trying to knock you on your caboose. Can he lead in the team huddle when things go bad. He never did that in Oakland. Jeff Garcia was a good leader who instilled confidence in his teammates. Could some of that leadership rub off on JM? Who knows..I have serious reservations on that one.

I don't know what perverse part of my psyche is causing this, but for whatever reason, I'm actually pulling for him. 

I've really never liked him, but I guess I like a good underdog story.

I have no problem with that ruksak. It's admirable actually. I'm usually all about 2nd chances myself too, but I just don't see it. Could I be wrong? Sure. I just need to see metal motivation as opposed to pure physical fitness. I guess you have to give JM credit for swallowing his pride, enduring all the fat jokes, & dropping 50 pounds. Clearly, that takes some psychological will power I will admit that.

But, success at the NFL stage requires putting time in the film room to break down your game & take it when your OC & QB coach tell you that you suck & need to improve in key areas of safety manipulation & knowing which shoulder to throw the ball to the WR so the CB doesn't intercept the ball. Film study application on the field is what I need to see most. I'm open to acknowledging that JM proved me wrong, but I have to see dynamic film study understanding & processing on the field at the same time resulting in 6 points first I guess. 

I have no problem with that ruksak. It's admirable actually. I'm usually all about 2nd chances myself too, but I just don't see it. Could I be wrong? Sure. I just need to see metal motivation as opposed to pure physical fitness. I guess you have to give JM credit for swallowing his pride, enduring all the fat jokes, & dropping 50 pounds. Clearly, that takes some psychological will power I will admit that.

But, success at the NFL stage requires putting time in the film room to break down your game & take it when your OC & QB coach tell you that you suck & need to improve in key areas of safety manipulation & knowing which shoulder to throw the ball to the WR so the CB doesn't intercept the ball. Film study application on the field is what I need to see most. I'm open to acknowledging that JM proved me wrong, but I have to see dynamic film study understanding & processing on the field at the same time resulting in 6 points first I guess. 

I don't see it either. 

My guess is this is just about money. He likely figures if he works hard for a few years he can make enough to live like a high-roller for the rest of his life. 

Still, I like the romanticism behind the idea of someone like Russel actually making it and sticking with it for the long haul. 

But likely, no, he's just trying to get paid. 

How would JM handle obesity jokes at his old "Blackhole squad? Or NFL reporters in interviews who say that this comeback is a farce & to stop wasting everyone's time? Is he still addicted to purple drink/painkiller syrup? My point is this: Life is all about how you react & respond to all the naysayers & critics & if you show genuine remorse for your laziness & try to fix that unflattering perception for the better through hardwork people tend to change their mind slowly. Also, remember that some people will never believe your transformation & you have to find a way to ignore permanent dark critics out...

If JM turns the media around, he's halfway home, but a team needs to give him a backup QB shot for any metamorphosis to take hold...The owner, GM, & HC of that squad need to sit JM down & say look we will give you 1 shot at playing in this league...Please don't make us regret that decision JM. Thank you.

My advice to JM: Do an in depth interview on 60 minutes with Steve Kroft an exceptional investigative journalist that is universally respected across the globe & always asks the tough questions that everyone else is thinking. If JM takes it & is honest, he will got another chance to play ball in this league easy IMO...

1 last point: As Cowboys WR Michael Irvin said about getting into the NFL HOF: "Don't be too proud to beg" either admitting you made selfish mistakes.

You gotta own your shortcomings that you & you alone caused. No one else. You JM. Do that & you might just get a 2nd chance.

So who gets back to the NFL first? Russell or Tebow?

Good question CF65...I'd say Tebow because he can't throw consistently well especially in practice & how can the QB Coach or OC help if the QB can't throw dependable routes to WRs, TEs, & your RB...

JM can at least throw the ball & connect with his offensive weapons & no NFL reporters are doing stories on Tim anymore. 

The Ravens are interested as well.

Yup, just noticed that too. The Ravens would be a great fit for him. He can learn from Flacco, but most importantly he has Harbaugh to keep him in check. Russell needs a motivator like he had back in college, and Harbaugh would be perfect for him.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/6/4/4397142/jamarcus-russell-ravens-free-agent

The Ravens are interested as well.

Yup, just noticed that too. The Ravens would be a great fit for him. He can learn from Flacco, but most importantly he has Harbaugh to keep him in check. Russell needs a motivator like he had back in college, and Harbaugh would be perfect for him.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/6/4/4397142/jamarcus-russell-ravens-free-agent

Baltimore & Edgar Allen Poe's city of "Nevermore" would be the perfect franchise to defy the odds actually Dustin & ReMeDy & make a legitimate NFL comeback. It could work there nicely for JM. 

I don't know what perverse part of my psyche is causing this, but for whatever reason, I'm actually pulling for him. 

I've really never liked him, but I guess I like a good underdog story.

I'm with you on this one, would be nice for a player who has become synonymous for being the biggest bust of all time (depending on your interpretation of "biggest" :P) it would be nice to see if he could pull off a comeback. Main problem I feel though that for his physical progress is there mental side going to be there? That's without factoring in how long he's not played at a NFL level/speed. 

I hope too his motivation isn't another payday, I mean surely he's not spent ALL his rookie contract? 

I seriously doubt that JM will make the the Bears squad. Jay Cutler has nothing to worry about IMO. I don't a darn if Jeff Garcia was his personal fitness trainer. He hasn't been hit or tackled yet in a LIVE game in a longtime. It's like watching a hippo run IMO..Or this children's board game... haha

ee0b_hungry_hungry_hippos_ipad.jpg

Why would Cutler be worried?  If JaMarcus makes any squad at all, it'll likely be as the 2nd or 3rd QB... and much more likely the 3rd spot. 

I seriously doubt anyone is looking at Russell as a starting QB, at this point.

I watched some special on JM's quest to get back into the NFL a couple weeks ago. If memory serves, he had a significant death in the family just as he was trying to start his career.

I would speculate he wasn't mature enough then to handle the loss, and would question if we should blame his head not being straight for his weight gain and his slow reaction time in the field.

I thought it was crazy to draft him so early, but he definitely showed more talent in college than we've seen since. I think if he's gotten his head straight, he could actually be a serviceable (not great) NFL level QB... or at least an above average backup.