Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

As your thinking about Rosters, don't forget about.....

NewColtsFan

.... Stanley Havili.

Who?

Stanley Havili.   He's the fullback we traded a back-up D-lineman for this off-season.

As some of us are messing around in another thread about who makes the Colt's roster,  most everyone is leaving Havili off their list.

I understand he's easy to forget.

Here's his senior tape from USC.    I think you'll see there's a lot to like about him...

First, it should be noted,  Havili is now listed at 245.   I don't know if this is accurate, but he played at USC in the 225-230 range.   If he's put on weight, and I'd assume he has,  even better.   He's got very good hands, very soft.   And he's good after the catch.   He does not look like, or run like, a typical fullback.   There's no lumbering.    He looks like a smooth running back.    And if he carries the ball 2-3 times a game,  he'll do well there too.    He's a talented kid and I'm predicting that he not only makes the team,  but that he'll become a favorite of our Quarterback.    Luck likes throwing to the FB.    Remember, Spider 2/3 Y-Banana!

I'll be very surprised if Havili doesn't make the team.   I think the staff wants him to make it.   Keep an eye on him,   I think you'll be very pleased with the pick-up....    :thmup:

Who picked the music for Stanley's highlight reel? Whoever did, they didn't do him any favors. A score just like in motion pictures sets the tone, mood, & ambiance. No emotional climax or pulse pounding intensity here at all. Actually, the music selection distracted me & I watched it again with the sound muted & turned off...A vast improvement...

Stanley impressions: Big target, easy to spot in traffic, doesn't shy away from contact, has a nose for the endzone, but I would like to see what he does with tighter NFL coverages though vs the gapping holes you see in college ball at USC...I wouldn't object if he made our final roster cut...A nice addition on offense. 

I liked what I seen in the highlight reel. It seems that Grigson had a hand in drafting him while with the Eagles. I hope that Grigson is right about this young man. With a viable FB on the roster it should help a lot in the running game. It also looks like he has good hands so that's a big plus in his favor. Hopefully he can be coached up and become a part of the beast. 

.... Stanley Havili.

Who?

Stanley Havili.   He's the fullback we traded a back-up D-lineman for this off-season.

As some of us are messing around in another thread about who makes the Colt's roster,  most everyone is leaving Havili off their list.

I understand he's easy to forget.

Here's his senior tape from USC.    I think you'll see there's a lot to like about him...

First, it should be noted,  Havili is now listed at 245.   I don't know if this is accurate, but he played at USC in the 225-230 range.   If he's put on weight, and I'd assume he has,  even better.   He's got very good hands, very soft.   And he's good after the catch.   He does not look like, or run like, a typical fullback.   There's no lumbering.    He looks like a smooth running back.    And if he carries the ball 2-3 times a game,  he'll do well there too.    He's a talented kid and I'm predicting that he not only makes the team,  but that he'll become a favorite of our Quarterback.    Luck likes throwing to the FB.    Remember, Spider 2/3 Y-Banana!

I'll be very surprised if Havili doesn't make the team.   I think the staff wants him to make it.   Keep an eye on him,   I think you'll be very pleased with the pick-up....    :thmup:

Great post NCF!  I had an argument that Havili would not have a chance to make the team thrown at me....I could only laugh.

This kid can mash linebackers...and catch passes...I am going on record here to say taht barring injury or any off-field issues....Havili is a lock!  As you say...Spider-Y-Banana (No split thank you :)) depends on him...we need our TEs catching passes...not in the backfield.

Fullplay-1.png

If we are serious about using a FB that much, why don't we have other FB's fighting for the starting role? I know we have looked at a ton of TE's that they may be considering as contenders, but I can't believe we are that serious about the position with just one FB on the roster. He also just doesn't look the big FB that bust open the holes we need for a run game that I am not to optimistic about us having at this point. Catching a pass out of the back field is the except to the rule for a real FB.

If we are serious about using a FB that much, why don't we have other FB's fighting for the starting role? I know we have looked at a ton of TE's that they may be considering as contenders, but I can't believe we are that serious about the position with just one FB on the roster. He also just doesn't look the big FB that bust open the holes we need for a run game that I am not to optimistic about us having at this point. Catching a pass out of the back field is the except to the rule for a real FB.

Did Dan Moore get cut?

Good points on the FB position!  It sure would be nice to have Havili catching some passes.   :thmup:  Remember, Grigson TRADED for Havili....did not sign him off of the street, The Eagles LeSean McCoy was upset he was not going to have Havili this next year....  Time will tell...and training camp cannot come soon enough... :pass:  :pass:  :pass:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo: !!!!!

Corgi asks about Moore.  He IS still on the Roster.  We HAD Robert Hughes....'He gone.' :)

Who picked the music for Stanley's highlight reel? Whoever did, they didn't do him any favors. A score just like in motion pictures sets the tone, mood, & ambiance. No emotional climax or pulse pounding intensity here at all. Actually, the music selection distracted me & I watched it again with the sound muted & turned off...A vast improvement...

Totally. I would have used the Muse intro to Unnatural Selection. That music was depressing.

Dan Moore is listed as a RB. He does have the same build as Havili. Not sure why they have him listed as a RB?

Dan Moore is a bit of a hybrid. He can certainly play fullback, but if you go back and really study the film of him on YouTube you will find that he was pretty much used at Montana as the primary running back. He reminds me alot of Mike Alstott/Peyton Hillis the way he plays. Very physical,great size, good hands, and has good speed running a 4.5 to 4.6 40. It seems from watching the tape he also brings really good value as a goaline runner as well.I think this is why they have him listed as a running back. However I think he could certainly compete with Havili for the fullback role as well. Sometime after the Chiefs ran all over us lastyear I had said I'd love to have Peyton Hillis or a back like Peyton Hillis on this team. I think Grigson must have heard my words somehow when he picked up Dan Moore! I'm interested tosee if he can stick somehow.

Love Havili and really love what Dan Moore has showed in OTAs.

Not sure if there's room for Moore on the final roster but he's showed a nice ability to catch the ball out of the backfield.

Special teams needs to be strong from him in order to sniff the final 53.

His receiving skills are really going to be an asset to this team. I didn't see any blocking on that highlight reel. Can he consistently knock the snot out of linebackers in the whole to free Vick for some long runs? That's what I want to know. 

Is Allen getting any reps at FB? I figure Allen is his competition but both will make the team unless this new guy isn't playing well.

Wanted to address both concerns....

Undrafted free agent rookie Dan Moore from Montana is competing as a possibility at fullback.

Also, as I noted in my original post...   Havili has apparently put on about 10-15 pounds since coming into the NFL...   he was much lighter in college.     So, while he's not the biggest fullback in the NFL,  he's big enough....

I have not found hi-lite tape of him with the Eagles....    only talking head interviews so far....

When the trade was made for Havili there was a post on here about how the Eagles players thought he would make the Pro Bowl. He was on the practice squad his first year. I believe he had shoulder surgery after his senior year in college and needed to heal. In training camp last year he looked good but faded from lack of playing time. Hopefully this offense will utilize his talents better.

Great post NCF!  I had an argument that Havili would not have a chance to make the team thrown at me....I could only laugh.

This kid can mash linebackers...and catch passes...I am going on record here to say taht barring injury or any off-field issues....Havili is a lock!  As you say...Spider-Y-Banana (No split thank you :)) depends on him...we need our TEs catching passes...not in the backfield.

Fullplay-1.png

I always envision this play going to the left in my mind. It almost looks foreign to the right...

But yes, Havili is made for that play. I bet NCF has a special memory about Havili because of seeing USC vs. Stanford over the years. He had a big catch and run for a touchdown against the Cardinal back in '08. Havili was a playmaker at fullback, and while he probably won't be lighting the world on fire here, we definitely can find a role for someone with his attributes.

Stanley impressions: Big target, easy to spot in traffic, doesn't shy away from contact, has a nose for the endzone, but I would like to see what he does with tighter NFL coverages though vs the gapping holes you see in college ball at USC...I wouldn't object if he made our final roster cut...A nice addition on offense. 

Agree on the music! haha! Was thinking the same thing. A stiff arm added to his arsenal wouldn't hurt either. Hope it works out great

I always envision this play going to the left in my mind. It almost looks foreign to the right...

But yes, Havili is made for that play. I bet NCF has a special memory about Havili because of seeing USC vs. Stanford over the years. He had a big catch and run for a touchdown against the Cardinal back in '08. Havili was a playmaker at fullback, and while he probably won't be lighting the world on fire here, we definitely can find a role for someone with his attributes.

I totally agree.....I love the left side, and I love Havili's abilities!!

He WILL make this team....FB instead of Harvey at goal line...Harvey may be gone.  Very nice assessment Sup!!   :thmup:

I don’t know if there will be a competition for the FB position. I have a feeling that if Havili doesn’t make the roster the FB position will be more of an H-Back role. This could be the case even if he does makes the roster since he’d be a good candidate at RB and full back and we all know versatility is how you make the roster. When Havili was brought in I felt as if it spelt doom for one of the RB spots IMO. We have some TE’s that should be able to block a LB or DB or chip on a DL when needed. I’m really excited about the TE group we have and IMO it’s our deepest group. While some forum members felt like seeing who else is out on the market spells doom for Fleener. I think that DA,Cunningham,Saunders can play the FB role in Peps Hybrid No-Coast system. So I think Havili has some value and could be the FB but has some versatility to be a short yard and 3rd down RB.

I thought USC did a very nice job of getting the most out of Havili...    I thought he was an effective weapon from the fullback position.     I'm not sure he's a 3-down player,  but I think when he's in,  he's a potential threat and someone that Luck will want to make full use of....

If we get the most 'bang' out of our Fullback 'buck' I think Colt's fans will be very pleased....

I'm not in ANY way saying he's John Riggins, but he looks so agile when he runs that you forget how much he weighsand that's how  Riggins was.  He could run over you or by you and was smooth.   I wouldn't compare him to Allstat because he did kind of lumber even though he was fast too. Imo, anyway.