Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts' Mnf Miracle

vitoaf27

remember it like it was yesterday... watched the whole game and couldn't believe what happened. I even wrote an article on the Colts Greatest Games, and that was one of the one's I mentioned. I even found what I wrote about it:

This game is considered to be one of the greatest games that no one ever saw. The Colts were against the Buccaneers, who were the reigning Super Bowl champs, and had one of the best defences around. On that defence were Simeon Rice, Derrick Brooks, Warren Sapp, Ronde Barber, and John Lynch, who are all future hall of famers. In Tampa on Monday Night, the game was huge because it marked the return of Tony Dungy in Tampa (he spent 6 years as a head coach there), and it was a game between the best offense vs. the best defence. Skipping to the end of the first half, the Buccaneers took a 21-0 lead after 2 touchdown passes from Brad Johnson (1 to McCardell, 1 to Barlow) and Keenan McCardell returned a 57 yard fumble recovery for a touchdown. Then, the second half came around and finally the Colts put up 7 points on the board, when Manning threw a 37 yard pass to Marvin Harrison. The 3rd quarter was filled with punts and bad drives until the Bucs engineered a 12 play 85 yard drive, which ended in Keenan McCardell catching a 15 yard touchdown pass from Brad Johnson. The Colts started the 4rth quarter with an 8 play 75 yard drive, which ended in a Ricky Williams touchdown. But the Bucs scored more points, but this time it was on defence, when Ronde Barber returned a 29 yard pick six. It seemed like the game was over, with 4 minutes left in the game, the Colts came back. The comeback started with a 1 yard touchdown run by James Mungro, then only a minute and 8 seconds later on fourth down, Peyton threw as he described it “One of my better passes in a long time” a 28 yard touchdown pass to Marvin Harrison. Suddenly, there was a sign of hope. With 35 seconds left in the game, the game which by most people was written off at halftime, took a complete 180, and the score was 35-35. Overtime was needed. The overtime period took long to finish, but it was worth the wait. With 3:47 left in overtime, the Colts were able to get the most accurate kicker in the game (back then) a 39 yard field goal which would give them the improbable win. But what did Vanderjagt do, he missed it, the Bucs got the ball back until referee Johnny Grier threw the penalty flag and said the word “LEAPING.” Leaping is when the player, in this situation Simeon Rice, jumped on his teammate, and used his teammate as support to have a better chance to block the kick. That also meant that the Colts got another chance at the game winning field goal, but this time it was 10 yards shorter (29 yards instead of 39 yards). The kick was going to be wide right, but it seemed like a Buccaneers player tipped the ball and the ball moved more towards the left, and between the uprights. The Colts had comeback to beat the reigning Super Bowl champions in “The Greatest Game that No One Ever Saw.”

I registered just to post on this thread. Ive been reading for a while, but every time I tried to register on the old boards something stopped me, I think it had something to do with having a gmail or yahoo account

Anyways.... this game was the reason I became a colts fan. I was 19ish at the time, and I never really watched football at the time. I randomly decided to watch the game because I was bored and in the middle of nowhere at the time. The performance and luck of the team at the time floored me. I was hooked instantly. I admit, basing your initial fandom around one game sounds like a surefire bandwagon fan, but over the next few years, I grew attached to every facet of the team, from the players, to the stadiums, to the fans, and the coaching, I love it all and am now and forever a colts fan (not to mention a football fan) simply from the random chance of watching one game. I do admit, I'm a little peeved at Caldwell at times, mainly from that timeout during the jets game last year that caused me to bang my head against a wall, but who am I to judge the owners decision on whos best for the team.

Regardless, this game was awesome, and every time someone mentions some come from behind victory they think is the best of all time, I point at this game and say "Top that".

tldr : This game is awesome, colts rule

I was at this game, my brother-in-law lived in Tampa and I went to the game with him. Still remember him asking if I wanted to leave at halftime. I said I came this far, I'm going to stay and watch the entire game. You should have heard the Tampa fans in the stands as the Colts came back in the 4th quarter. Once in a lifetime game to be at!!!!! Go Colts

I remember waking up the next morning and turning on the local Philly sports radio station, and vaguely recall them talking about how they couldn't believe the ending of the game, or something to that effect. It took me a bit to realize what they were talking about. I was thrilled, as I hated Tampa at the time.

I registered just to post on this thread. Ive been reading for a while, but every time I tried to register on the old boards something stopped me, I think it had something to do with having a gmail or yahoo account

Anyways.... this game was the reason I became a colts fan. I was 19ish at the time, and I never really watched football at the time. I randomly decided to watch the game because I was bored and in the middle of nowhere at the time. The performance and luck of the team at the time floored me. I was hooked instantly. I admit, basing your initial fandom around one game sounds like a surefire bandwagon fan, but over the next few years, I grew attached to every facet of the team, from the players, to the stadiums, to the fans, and the coaching, I love it all and am now and forever a colts fan (not to mention a football fan) simply from the random chance of watching one game. I do admit, I'm a little peeved at Caldwell at times, mainly from that timeout during the jets game last year that caused me to bang my head against a wall, but who am I to judge the owners decision on whos best for the team.

Regardless, this game was awesome, and every time someone mentions some come from behind victory they think is the best of all time, I point at this game and say "Top that".

tldr : This game is awesome, colts rule

I see a lot of your story about how you became a Colts fan parrallels mine somewhat. I didn't become an Eagles fan (or a football fan in general, even though I would watch the Super Bowl) until week 4 of the 1992 season. Going into that week, both the Eagles and Cowboys were 3-0, and were set to play at the Vet on Monday Night. I was a junior in HS at the time, and I remember people making a big deal over the game. I remember one guy in my homeroom class said he had $150 bet on Dallas. So I decided I'd watch to see what the big deal was about. Well, the Eagles beat them handily that night 31-7, and I was so impressed with how they played that I became of fan of the team, and the sport that night.

Oh yeah, the guy who bet the $150 on Dallas was not in school the next day, and the day after that, I heard he moved to Iowa. I never saw him again.

I admit, basing your initial fandom around one game sounds like a surefire bandwagon fan, but over the next few years, I grew attached to every facet of the team, from the players, to the stadiums, to the fans, and the coaching, I love it all and am now and forever a colts fan (not to mention a football fan) simply from the random chance of watching one game.

A lot of die-hard fans that stick with a team their entire lives start out as bandwagon fans in some capacity. I think that's fairly normal. I got hooked by that magical 1995 season, and I still cringe when I think of Aaron Bailey letting the ball bounce off his belly in the end zone or the sure-fire pick six that could have sealed the victory.

I see a lot of your story about how you became a Colts fan parrallels mine somewhat. I didn't become an Eagles fan (or a football fan in general, even though I would watch the Super Bowl) until week 4 of the 1992 season. Going into that week, both the Eagles and Cowboys were 3-0, and were set to play at the Vet on Monday Night. I was a junior in HS at the time, and I remember people making a big deal over the game. I remember one guy in my homeroom class said he had $150 bet on Dallas. So I decided I'd watch to see what the big deal was about. Well, the Eagles beat them handily that night 31-7, and I was so impressed with how they played that I became of fan of the team, and the sport that night.

Oh yeah, the guy who bet the $150 on Dallas was not in school the next day, and the day after that, I heard he moved to Iowa. I never saw him again.

lol, kids who bet on games. I remember being 9 and betting 50,000 dollars that I was gonna beat some other kid at our league soccer game. That didnt turn out to well. I was worried that I was gonna be sued for the money. :facepalm:

I do admit I dislike the eagles very much, but I respect their offensive power. Just not a fan of their players, or their fanbase. (exgirlfriend was a fan, guess thatll do it) No disrespect to you of course. Where did you live at the time that made it a big deal at school. or was it just cause it was MNF

lol, kids who bet on games. I remember being 9 and betting 50,000 dollars that I was gonna beat some other kid at our league soccer game. That didnt turn out to well. I was worried that I was gonna be sued for the money. :facepalm:

I do admit I dislike the eagles very much, but I respect their offensive power. Just not a fan of their players, or their fanbase. (exgirlfriend was a fan, guess thatll do it) No disrespect to you of course. Where did you live at the time that made it a big deal at school. or was it just cause it was MNF

At the time, I was living in South Jersey, about 25 minutes from Philly.

Just thrilling. What a special game. Hard to think of one that meant more and was more exciting other than the AFC championship game against the Pats.

I also think it was important for the Colts because Peyton's reputation was still in a state of flux (no MVPs, no playoff success), the team's reputation was in a state of flux (enough wins to make the playoffs but not one of the leagues "elite"), and Dungy's reputation was in a state of flux.

Suddenly here come the Super Bowl champs - the team that told Dungy he wasn't good enough, the best defense in the league - and they gave us a good stomping.

When we won that game it became apparent that we could beat anybody and that anything was possible with Manning under center. We've essentially been an elite team ever since.

Until about three weeks ago anyway haha.

I went to bed and was awakened by my son going crazy downstairs. I was just about to raise the roof on him when he came running upstairs and told me what had just happened. At first, I didn't believe him. Then, my ex-wife called.(Super Colts fan) She gave me #%$* for not watching till the end. :)

i took off of work taht day because it was rare to see a colts game on tv. i was kinda watching it and playing counterstrike lol. well the game was getting to be a blowout so i occupied my time then i saw them coming back and turned and watched as they came back and won in overtime. I was so besides myself the next day and had to tell everyone and my co workers lol

I was stationed in Alaska at that time. I had a case of beer riding on that game with another Soldier that was a Bucs fan. I was at his house watching it. With about 5 minutes left in the game I told him I would have his beer for him the next day. My wife and I then walked back to our house, which was only a little bit down the street. I turned the TV on at my house just for the heck of it. By the end of it I was on my knees in front of the TV screeming at it. When we one I immediatly called my friend and said three words, "Alaskan Amber beer". I still get a tingle down my spine every time I hear the word "leaping".

A lot of die-hard fans that stick with a team their entire lives start out as bandwagon fans in some capacity. I think that's fairly normal. I got hooked by that magical 1995 season, and I still cringe when I think of Aaron Bailey letting the ball bounce off his belly in the end zone or the sure-fire pick six that could have sealed the victory.

Good point! I got hooked when a boyfriend at the time would push me into watching the games with him. I am not a sports fan, at all! But I got hooked on the Colts (and NFL football in general now) in 2003. We watched that whole game screaming at the TV. How could you not be a fan after that!

Just thrilling. What a special game. Hard to think of one that meant more and was more exciting other than the AFC championship game against the Pats.

I also think it was important for the Colts because Peyton's reputation was still in a state of flux (no MVPs, no playoff success), the team's reputation was in a state of flux (enough wins to make the playoffs but not one of the leagues "elite"), and Dungy's reputation was in a state of flux.

Suddenly here come the Super Bowl champs - the team that told Dungy he wasn't good enough, the best defense in the league - and they gave us a good stomping.

When we won that game it became apparent that we could beat anybody and that anything was possible with Manning under center. We've essentially been an elite team ever since.

Until about three weeks ago anyway haha.

i agree with you. the entire team grew up a little after a game like that.

2 quote KJ. "so much for the the great Peyton Manning, I mean I know it's not over,....but it's over." HA HA.

I remember him on the sidelines saying "Thats the greatest receiver in the league"? (Speaking of Harrison catching a few 5 yard outs early in the game). lol....and then "IT" happened. Yes Keyshawn, that IS the greatest receiver in the league, watch him stab you to death.

I remember him on the sidelines saying "Thats the greatest receiver in the league"? (Speaking of Harrison catching a few 5 yard outs early in the game). lol....and then "IT" happened. Yes Keyshawn, that IS the greatest receiver in the league, watch him stab you to death.

STAB or shoot.......