Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jets QB Geno Smith Fires Agent After Falling In Draft

ConBro

Because it was his agents fault he is an average college quarterback that will probably be a below-average NFL quarterback. It's apparent why Geno Smith wasn't playing in the Ivy League, or on the UVa's, Northwestern's, and Stanford's of the world.

How does the agent cause you to fall in the draft?

I think people are starting to see what Geno Smith is really like and why no team wanted to take him in the 1st.

Although him and EJ will have some good battles in the AFC East.

Agents are generally expected to have experience with helping guys maximize their draft stock and are typically pretty involved in preparing their clients for the draft, especially bigger name guys.  No real doubt that Geno's problem lies mostly with himself, though.  He doesn't measure up to the top prospects last year as a passer and he's not received glowing praise for his leadership ability and work ethic.  His sensitivity to criticism didn't cast him in a great light, either.

Agents are generally expected to have experience with helping guys maximize their draft stock and are typically pretty involved in preparing their clients for the draft, especially bigger name guys.  No real doubt that Geno's problem lies mostly with himself, though.  He doesn't measure up to the top prospects last year as a passer and he's not received glowing praise for his leadership ability and work ethic.  His sensitivity to criticism didn't cast him in a great light, either.

Ah ok, I gotcha.

He definitely is a product of a weak draft class and it was proven when the Bills passed on him, Nassib, Glennon, Barkley etc. and went with Manuel.

He doesn't seem to have a thick skin for criticism and I think is the product of a very good college offense. Almost reminds me of a smaller, less talented Cam Newton.

Yup...it's always somebody else's fault, eh Geno? How long do ya think that act is gonna play in the NFL? Not For Long, buddy.  Somewhere out there, Ryan Leaf is doing a little happy dance, knowing that he won't be #1 on the all-time draft bust list much longer.

http://www.nflgridirongab.com/jets-qb-geno-smith-fires-agent-after-falling-in-draft/

Wow. I understand the frustration but be happy that you were drafted at all man. This guy is going to fit right in in that locker room. He's got the "emotion" of Bart Scott and the bravado of Rex Ryan. Let the circus continue.

I Read the reason was his agent apparently negotiated / shopped him to teams , tried to increase his draft stock etc by extolling his virtues etc from a broken fax ( LOL )

I realize the media may spin a lot of things, but his whole "I'm going home" thing during the draft after not getting selected on day 1 and then this just wreaks to me of immaturity.  I see a whole lotta Ryan Leaf/Vince Young baggage before this guy even gets started.

I dunno, but to me, Barkley took his fall in stride.  Let the chip fall on your shoulder, bust your butt, and prove the doubters wrong.  All Geno is doing is seemingly throwing fit after fit after fit because it didn't go as he had hoped.

Heck, the Broncos grabbed a guy in the 7th who looked to have at least a mid round grade.  Zac Dysert.  I don't see a whole lot about him.  But yeesh, Geno drops to the top of the 2nd, and you'd think he was already cut or something.

Yup...it's always somebody else's fault, eh Geno? How long do ya think that act is gonna play in the NFL? Not For Long, buddy.  Somewhere out there, Ryan Leaf is doing a little happy dance, knowing that he won't be #1 on the all-time draft bust list much longer.

I expect Smith to fall on his face, but if so he is unlikely to be considered one of the biggest busts of just this draft class, much less be compared to someone like Leaf. In order to fail to meet expectations, there have to have BEEN expectations in the first place.

I realize the media may spin a lot of things, but his whole "I'm going home" thing during the draft after not getting selected on day 1 and then this just wreaks to me of immaturity.

Not to mention he said the Jets would be going to the playoffs. Very immature of him to say that after what the Jets have been going through recently with the loss of Revis and Rex Ryan on the hotseat.

An example of this jerk's future, he has picked the J-E-T-S to go to the Super Bowl. I assume they are going on a Greyhound and will all sit together in the stands. Thisis great for late night TV hosts in the NY area to know what the J-E-T-S have done......again to their city. Hey G-E-N-O you are going to be fun to watch but then so was Tebow who by the way, just got an offer to play in the arena league for $75 a game! 

I just got off newyorkjets.com to see what those boys are saying and saw something worth sharing. I t is in reference to Geno Smith getting drafted and reads something like,"Mark Sanchez was so upset upon hearing of Smith coming to the Jets he threw his remote at his TV. The TV was not damaged but then it wasn't hit either". Classic!

Not to mention he said the Jets would be going to the playoffs. Very immature of him to say that after what the Jets have been going through recently with the loss of Revis and Rex Ryan on the hotseat.

Yeah, I forgot about that, but that also struck me at the time.  It's like, dude, you aren't even likely to start there, and you're already talking playoffs?

I had nothing against Geno prior to the start of the draft.  I had nothing against him when he started falling.  But now, after the dust has settled, I suspect he is going to have a Leaf/Young like falling out.  Granted, he could get a chance and prove us all wrong, but, if that chance doesn't come soon enough, he may burn the bridge before he gets the opportunity.  He just needs to say the mundane things that guys like that are supposed to say, go to work, compete, and wait for Sanchez to falter.  It is bound to happen, so just be patient and work your tail off until it does.

The only person who could possibly compare with Ryan Leaf on that is Jamarcus Russell.

It wouldn't matter if Geno Smith made Mark Sanchez look downright competent.  He was drafted in the 2nd round in comparison Ryan Leaf was drafted #2 overall and Russell was drafted #1 overall.

Those two clearly top out the list as the worst.

And he will fit right into the Jet's circus if this is how he reacts to falling to the 2nd round.  

The only person who could possibly compare with Ryan Leaf on that is Jamarcus Russell.

It wouldn't matter if Geno Smith made Mark Sanchez look downright competent.  He was drafted in the 2nd round in comparison Ryan Leaf was drafted #2 overall and Russell was drafted #1 overall.

Those two clearly top out the list as the worst.

And he will fit right into the Jet's circus if this is how he reacts to falling to the 2nd round.  

Geno could still crash and burn so spectacularly as to leapfrog those guys.  It would have to take hard work on his part, though, and I'm not entirely sure he's up for that ;)

Geno could still crash and burn so spectacularly as to leapfrog those guys.  It would have to take hard work on his part, though, and I'm not entirely sure he's up for that ;)

Yep. Everyone agreed before the Draft that the guy has hard work ethic, more than Leaf or especially JaMarcus Russell can say.

More info on Geno Smith and the firing--it's possible he dropped BECAUSE teams knew he had personality issues.:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--geno-smith-s-firing-of-agents--pre-draft-actions-shed-light-on-why-qb-dropped-183846651.html

Some bits that stood out:

"I'm not sure he knows how to take instruction because he pretty much wouldn't listen or talk to our coaches … He's tuned out because he thinks he's got it all down."

When Smith was asked on a radio show Tuesday about firing his agents, he claimed the decision wasn't based on when he was drafted. When pressed, however, he didn't give a reason."

Two sources indicated that when Smith went on some visits to teams, rather than interact with coaches and front-office people, he would spend much of his time on his cell phone. Instead of being engaged with team officials, he would be texting friends or reading Twitter or a number of other distracting activities. "All these other players who were in there were talking to the coaches, trying to get to know people and he was over there by himself," one of the sources said. "That's not what you want out of your quarterback."

By Sunday, Smith was being convinced by other friends that it was the fault of his agents that he slipped so much in the draft, according to one of the sources. "Right now, he's blaming everybody but himself and he has some buddies around him who are telling him that same thing."