Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Khaled Holmes, C from USC (4th Round)

Andy

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NFL.com write up on Holmes actually lists his physical play as a strength, and nowhere does it mention weakness, or lacking physical strength to play at the next level.  To the contrary, they mention sustaining blocks, driving defenders back to the whistle.  With a strained pectoral he still fought through 15 reps before tapping out.  Honorable mention PAc-12 guard as a sophomore.  Smart guy academically.  Leader.  NFL.com also says second or third round value, and the Colts got him in the fourth.  I'm not as convinced he is too weak to play guard, or guard and center.  But if it's center, I agree Shipley or Satele won't remain on the roster.  I can't see the Colts keeping three centers.

Weaknesses

Strength, especially in his lower body, is a concern for Holmes. He struggled to hold his ground against more physical interior lineman and may need to add some weight in order to do so in the NFL. "

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1598592-khaled-holmes-scouting-report-nfl-outlook-for-usc-c

right there says things about his weaknesses. and strength in his lower legs is one of them. they even said it on ESPN

according to ESPN he didnt even bench at the combine because of a pectoral injury. 

I wouldn't know. I pay attenton to combine stats the way the general public pays attention to the WNBA: 

I ignore them completely.

The weakness that rings through and through with this guy though is his strength, as in the lack of, and that's not going to benefit a power run game.

Weaknesses

Strength, especially in his lower body, is a concern for Holmes. He struggled to hold his ground against more physical interior lineman and may need to add some weight in order to do so in the NFL. "

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1598592-khaled-holmes-scouting-report-nfl-outlook-for-usc-c

right there says things about his weaknesses. and strength in his lower legs is one of them. they even said it on ESPN

Not disagreeing, I was just pointing out that there was a positive write up on NFL.com, in the midst of many others which were less flattering, or questioned his physical strength and ability.  He can't play guard at 305, with limitations in strength/physicality.  So it will be interesting to see what the Colts do at center. 

I wouldn't know. I pay attenton to combine stats the way the general public pays attention to the WNBA: 

The weakness that rings through and through with this guy though is his strength, as in the lack of, and that's not going to benefit a power run game.

yeah the lower half of his body they said was the big weakness. and we wasted a 4th on this.

yeah the lower half of his body they said was the big weakness. and we wasted a 4th on this.

Yeah, it's the one pick I really don't like. It doesn't make sense from either perspective. There's too much competition at C, which will give way to depth at the position, and his prospect at G in this scheme is not at all good. That's why I'm not on the "depth and competition" bandwagon. There were better options for us for that.

Yeah, it's the one pick I really don't like. It doesn't make sense from either perspective. There's too much competition at C, which will give way to depth at the position, and his prospect at G in this scheme is not at all good. That's why I'm not on the "depth and competition" bandwagon. There were better options for us for that.

i cant believe Bacarri Rambo  is still available, even Poyer is still out there and Denard Robinson got picked before those two yet we go after a C,  :facepalm:

i cant believe Bacarri Rambo  is still available, even Poyer is still out there and Denard Robinson got picked before those two yet we go after a C,  :facepalm:

Rambo would be a nice addition, I just don't know how much he would see the field between Bethea and Landry. When we signed Landry I figured that put an end to our aspirations to draft a safety. (With Lefeged already in-house for depth.)

But I am in total agreement, Holmes was simply a bad pick.

Seriously?  You did see Satele play, right?  I like Shipley but he could hardly walk in one of the games I went to.

Center is definitely a position that needs upgraded.  I'm not saying Holmes is it, but he may be better than what we have now.

Who do u think signed Satele??? So y would u trust this?

What does trust have to do with it?  Grigs did an outstanding job with very little money last year.  His results are the proof.

He may have taken the best O linemen he could afford last year.  He's not going to hit on every pick.  Olsen was putrid, McGlynn was passable, Satele was mediocre, and I understand he was hurt a lot.

Point being - Grigs is ALWAYS trying to upgrade this team.  Not every move will work, but he's always trying.  You trust that, don't you?

This is a description written by a buddy of mine. Since we live in So Cal there are a lot of hardcore USC fans. This guy tracks these players from High School on. Here it is. Copy and Pasted:

He's a serviceable center, very smart, needs to get stronger in the weight room I've heard he never lifts. Was Barkleys center for like 8 years so he has the pedigree

Rambo would be a nice addition, I just don't know how much he would see the field between Bethea and Landry. When we signed Landry I figured that put an end to our aspirations to draft a safety. (With Lefeged already in-house for depth.)

But I am in total agreement, Holmes was simply a bad pick.

sucks too cause we drafted a safety and rambo was drafted by the skins a pick before ours lol. 

I like this pick. we are putting quality depth at our o line position.  if our linemen are healthy next year, we are gonna be great.  besides, im ok with us not getting patton. we also got another wide out who is 6'6 and is an athletic FREAK. our recieving core is gonna be great. not to mention we got fleener and allen? we got threats everywhere!

Theres a 2 part explanation why I dont like this pick. One, it just seems as though we are copying what the Titans are doing, except with worse players. (They got Levitre, we got Thomas, they got Warmack, we got Thornton, they got Schwenke, we got Holmes).

2, center should have been a postion we were solid at with both Satelle and Shipley. Now this pick shows that they were wrong about Satelle, and that was wasted money.

We will use him as a guard and a insurance policy for center.. if ijalana stays healthy, he will start at RG, if not, this kid will start at RG

Seriously?  You did see Satele play, right?  I like Shipley but he could hardly walk in one of the games I went to.

Center is definitely a position that needs upgraded.  I'm not saying Holmes is it, but he may be better than what we have now.

Been looking at draft grades most rate him as an A

I am a USC fan, so I can tell you about Holmes.  He is a very smart human being/football player.  Nobody is going to out think this guy.  He has natural strength, and good size.  He was playing on a high ankle sprain most of this last year, and that's why Star pushed him backwards pretty easily.  He looked like he was hobbled for a lot of the season.  With his ankle healed and some strength training he could probably play at 310 lbs. very comfortably, and play very well.  We will be the eventual starter at C, and can be a backup if needed at both G spots.

If you ask me, the depth at Center allows the coaching staff to give this kid time to heal and develop (strength-wise) into the player they want.  They key component that a center needs to have is intelligence to help the quarterback and other lineman diagnose the defense and make blocking assignments.  You can't teach intelligence, you also can't grind it into a player with the weight room. 

I like the pick. Would like to have seen Grigs nab Jones but obviously he was gone.

My buddy who is a big college footbal fanatic said this is a good player. He was telling me USC's oline basically fell apart when he got hurt.

Kirwan and Co. on sirius said he is a talented and very smart player but does have some strength issues he'll have to work on.

Holmes, 6-4, 305, started 37-of-40 career games at center and right guard. Holmes opened 24 games at center and 13 at right guard, totaling 227 knockdown/key blocks and 27 touchdown-resulting takedowns, and he might be viable at all three interior positions on the Indianapolis line.

Holmes was a finalist for the Rimington Trophy this past year, a season when he earned multiple All-Pac-12 honors.

This tells me that there is just something about Shipley the coaches don't like and don't think is going to get better.  I think frankly his low snaps are related to it.  I think this guy was drafted to be groomed to be the long term answer at center and probably replace Satele. 

For this draft I keep my yap shut because I thinks Pagano and his mob know talent and potential. They appear to be competant in seeing the whole picture versus one "talent" in one position. "No names" sometimes become champions. Heck, I heard this morning the 49ers drafted a discus thrower that has never played one second of football in his life!! The Hall of Fame has a bunch of walk-ons so hang in there. 

Sure wish Grigson would have thought of this before he drafted him.

We must all find our own path, but I love to evaluate drafted players from the perspective that the leadership of our football team understands the game, has a vision, and has invested heavily in player analysis.  This always leads me to hope and optimism amidst the realization that I haven't the knowledge or investment for anything more conclusive.  But, we must all go about this as best suits us.