Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

McShay hinting....

BlueShoe

Where did you come up with this nonsense???

SB Winner (RB):

Pats: Kevin Faulk

Bucs: Michael Pittman

Pats: Faulk

Steelers: Jerome Bettis

Colts: Joseph Addai/Rhodes

Giants: Bradshaw/Jacobs

Steelers: Mendanhall

Saints: Reggie Bush

Packers:James Starks

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alabama RB's hit "big holes' provided by big NFL linemen.     

When they get to the NFL those "big holes" get REAL SMALL.    REAL FAST.  

Don't get drunk on the hype kids.          Lacy is a glorified Zack Crockett.     Which aint too bad... 

But dude is not a first rounder.        He is NOWHERE NEAR Adrian Peterson territory.

Heck Lacy wasn't even the best RB on BAMA's team last year...   

I'll be "YELDON" for this kid....       when he comes out.

When they get to the NFL those "big holes" get REAL SMALL. REAL FAST.

Don't get drunk on the hype kids. Lacy is a glorified Zack Crockett. Which aint too bad...

But dude is not a first rounder. He is NOWHERE NEAR Adrian Peterson territory.

I'll be "YELDON" for this kid.... when he comes out.

John, you're a genius. Yeldon is definitely better. Faster, Better hands, oh yeah my kind of RB haha

When they get to the NFL those "big holes" get REAL SMALL.    REAL FAST.  

Don't get drunk on the hype kids.          Lacy is a glorified Zack Crockett.     Which aint too bad... 

But dude is not a first rounder.        He is NOWHERE NEAR Adrian Peterson territory.

I'll be "YELDON" for this kid....       when he comes out.

Yeldon is the truth and I agree...You seem to also forget Lacy played in the SEC against top level defenses with top level NFL talent so he won't be surprised by the speed and physicality of the NFL...The 1st and 2nd rounds will be littered with SEC players on both sides of the ball...No one is near Peterson territory except Bo Jackson and Barry Sanders...That means nothing...He compares favorably to these 2 players IMO- Larry Johnson, Jamal Lewis- Not bad, and he will be a 1,200+ yard back year 1 if he stays healthy. Our line is already improved, and if Ballard can gain 800 yards behind last years line the 2 combined will go for 2,000 behind an improved line and instantly give Luck more time and more ability for play-action even if we don't add a guard in the 3rd WHICH WE MOST LIKELY WILL...OPEN YOUR EYES AND SEE THE POSSIBILITIES-

Somewhere there is a mommy or daddy out there that needs to take "little Joey's" laptop away from him.

And his I pad.

And his I whatever... 

And his .....

Just let him watch Colt football.      Maybe he will LEARN something.

Sigh......

SB Winner (RB):

Reggie Bush, Mendenhall, Bettis, Bradshaw were still high level "Special" type backs if not elite, they had certain elite qualities to their games...I'd be curious to know the SB runners up and AFC and NFC runners-up and their backs as well...Many of these teams had Great defenses and great QBs...The 10 years previous I'd say there were many elite backs.....And don't bother saying the NFL has changed since then cause the Emmitt Smiths, Ricky watters, Marshall Faulks, Mike Alstotts, Jamal Lewis's would have ran wild in this era too..

Somewhere there is a mommy or daddy out there that needs to take "little Joey's" laptop away from him.

And his I pad.

And his I whatever... 

And his .....

Just let him watch Colt football.      Maybe he will LEARN something.

Sigh......

The nurses at the home haven't been changing you regularly?? I'm sorry, that's goota be tough..Don't worry BINGO is tomorrow.. lmao

This is like beating a dead horse. People seriously believe you need an "Elite" back or spend a 1st round on a back. I'm glad you guys aren't our GM. We'd be the worst team in the NFL every year.

EVERYTHING (and I do mean everything) starts in the trenches! Good oline = Good run game no matter who's running as long as they can find the hole & don't fumble

Didn't say you needed 1, but if you had 1 you wouldn't be ok with it?? Were you ok with Edge and Marshall??

Reggie Bush, Mendenhall, Bettis, Bradshaw were still high level "Special" type backs if not elite, they had certain elite qualities to their games...I'd be curious to know the SB runners up and AFC and NFC runners-up and their backs as well...Many of these teams had Great defenses and great QBs...The 10 years previous I'd say there were many elite backs.....And don't bother saying the NFL has changed since then cause the Emmitt Smiths, Ricky watters, Marshall Faulks, Mike Alstotts, Jamal Lewis's would have ran wild in this era too..

Bush was a bust, Mendenhall was average, Bettis was mediocre, Bradshaw was solid. None of them were elite. None of them were special.

Super Bowl losers (RB)

Rams: Marshall Faulk

Raiders: Charlie Garner

Panthers: Stephen Davis

Eagles: Brian Westbrook

Seahawks: Shaun Alexander

Bears: Thomas Jones/Cedric Benson

Patriots: Laurance Maroony

Cardinals: Edge James

Colts: Addai

The AGE of the "feature BACK" is OVER.

The NFL is a BRUTAL sport.     A 16 game season, with pre and post season games.     The ONE back dominant teams are OVER.

Adrian Peterson is an anomaly.   He is a freak of nature.    The last Super Bowl team to feature a "feature" back was last season.   

Baltimore, and Rice was trying .... but Johnny felt B Pierce was a better option late.     

NOBODY can swing it ALL SEASON BY HIMSELF.     And in fact NO coach will ever allow it to happen.    It is just not realistic.  

INDY has 3 VERY solid backs.       Better than most teams.      

Bush was a bust, Mendenhall was average, Bettis was mediocre, Bradshaw was solid. None of them were elite. None of them were special.

Super Bowl losers (RB)

Rams: Marshall Faulk

Raiders: Charlie Garner

Panthers: Stephen Davis

Eagles: Brian Westbrook

Seahawks: Shaun Alexander

Bears: Thomas Jones/Cedric Benson

Patriots: Laurance Maroony

Cardinals: Edge James

Colts: Addai

Faulk, Davis, Westbrook, Alexander, James- were all great and the combo of Benson/Jones was big time

The AGE of the "feature BACK" is OVER.

The NFL is a BRUTAL sport.     A 16 game season, with pre and post season games.     The ONE back dominant teams are OVER.

Adrian Peterson is an anomaly.   He is a freak of nature.    The last Super Bowl team to feature a "feature" back was last season.   

Baltimore, and Rice was trying .... but Johnny felt B Pierce was a better option late.     

NOBODY can swing it ALL SEASON BY HIMSELF.     And in fact NO coach will ever allow it to happen.    It is just not realistic.  

INDY has 3 VERY solid backs.       Better than most teams.      

We have 1-The " Donald Brown Project", must end...He has no power or ability to break tackles and, all that speed does him no good with no vision or awareness, and if he magically showed up with vision this year he'd be hurt by week 4...Delone Carter fumbles and stays hurt and is mediocre anyways,,The combo of Ballard/Lacy would be very tough for other teams to deal with, no one said either had to swing it by themselves...Just wrap your mind around it...Imagine defenses worried about the passing game getting gashed and then when they come up to stop the run it's play-action time ...It all works together and will even make the line look better and give Luck more time on it's own..

Faulk, Davis, Westbrook, Alexander, James- were all great and the combo of Benson/Jones was big time

Westbrook didn't break 1,000 yards, James averged under 4 yards per carry.

Shaun Alexander may be the most overrated player ever. He ran behing arguably the 2nd best O-line of all time. He's the perfect example of what a good O-line does for a mediocre back.

Westbrook didn't break 1,000 yards, James averged under 4 yards per carry.

Shaun Alexander may be the most overrated player ever. He ran behing arguably the 2nd best O-line of all time. He's the perfect example of what a good O-line does for a mediocre back.

Westbrook is 1 of the BEST receiving backs ever!!! James had a horrible run blocking line, and Shaun Alexander led the league multiple times and was great in college...Not by accident.

You are simply not a Colt fan.    Brown, "when healthy" has PRODUCED.   

He was arguably the best player on the team in 2011.  

Sigh,,     I am finished arguing with a troll.  

You don't want to debate.   You want to "irritate" ..    

Your logic is incredibly weak.   You know NOTHING about the team U claim to support.

So......        adios....  amigo..

We have 1-The " Donald Brown Project", must end...He has no power or ability to break tackles and, all that speed does him no good with no vision or awareness, and if he magically showed up with vision this year he'd be hurt by week 4...Delone Carter fumbles and stays hurt and is mediocre anyways,,The combo of Ballard/Lacy would be very tough for other teams to deal with, no one said either had to swing it by themselves...Just wrap your mind around it...Imagine defenses worried about the passing game getting gashed and then when they come up to stop the run it's play-action time ...It all works together and will even make the line look better and give Luck more time on it's own..

You are simply not a Colt fan.    Brown, "when healthy" has PRODUCED.   

He was arguably the best player on the team in 2011.  

Sigh,,     I am finished arguing with a troll.  

You don't want to debate.   You want to "irritate" ..    

Your logic is incredibly weak.   You know NOTHING about the team U claim to support.

So......        adios....  amigo..

If you think Donald brown was the best of anything you need to have your brain examined by science...Yeah..I actually pay and go to the games and don't complain about the taxes etc etc...If this team was 3-13 half these people wouldn't be on here..Talk to me when you sit through every game of a 2-14 season and buy season tickets every year ..Tell me I'm not a fan, I am the FAN...

We added 2 quality linemen already and can add another Frederick, Winters, schwenke, B. Jones in the 3rd..We can also sign another G before camp. Im not against Cooper or Warmack or even trading into the 2nd and getting Warford,,,But if we stay at 24 and Cooper, and Warmack are gone it would not be bad to pick up Lacy..Are you so sure he can't come in and run for 1500 and take pressure off Luck and open up the play-action game next year?? Im not against going O-line like you act, but I'm not against getting Lacy either..

Not anti Lacy at all nor am I against trading out of 24 if Cooper is gone although there is simply going to be better players then Lacy available at 24

Carradine(If Jarvis Jones, Rhodes, Moore, Cooper are all gone then Carradine is my guy)

Okafor(not in the 1st)

Jarvis Jones

Jesse Williams

Datone Jones

Damontre Moore

Warford(Who I would not draft in the first but I would over Lacy)

Heck I'd rather draft Teo over Lacy and trade Angerer

Bjoern Werner

Xavier Rhodes

Jamar Taylor

Jonathan Cooper

All of those guys could be around by the time we pick and I would take ANY of them over a rb or trade down, and yes I said Teo

Not anti Lacy at all nor am I against trading out of 24 if Cooper is gone although there is simply going to be better players then Lacy available at 24

Carradine(If Jarvis Jones, Rhodes, Moore, Cooper are all gone thej Carradine is my guy)

Okafor

Jarvis Jones

Jesse Williams

Datone Jones

Damontre Moore

Warford(Who I would not draft in the first but I would over Lacy)

Heck I'd rather draft Teo over Lacy and trade Angerer

Bjoern Werner

Xavier Rhodes

Jamar Taylor

Jonathan Cooper

All of those guys could be around by the time we pick and I would take ANY of them over a rb, and yes I said Teo

Wouldn't be against a lot of those guys, but I can also see Lacy having a bigger impact than any other player on our offense and season as a whole..Oh well, we will just see what happens in the draft...It just comes down to what you think Lacy can be...I would take any of those players over any RB not named Lacy and wouldn't be sad if we took D.Jones, J. Jones, Werner, Mingo,Hunt, Fluker, Austin, Patterson, Hunter, and COOPER for sure... But I'd be most excited if we took LACY JUST TO SEE WHAT HE CAN DO...I'm tired of other teams having that dominant back and beating us with him..-.I WANT THAT GUY -

Wouldn't be against a lot of those guys, but I can also see Lacy having a bigger impact than any other player on our offense and season as a whole..Oh well, we will just see what happens in the draft...It just comes down to what you think Lacy can be...I would take any of those players over any RB not named Lacy and wouldn't be sad if we took D.Jones, J. Jones, Werner, Mingo,Hunt, Fluker, Austin, Patterson, Hunter, and COOPER for sure... But I'd be most excited if we took LACY JUST TO SEE WHAT HE CAN DO...I'm tired of other teams having that dominant back and beating us with him..-.I WANT THAT GUY -

We have been beat in the past because we didn't have a guy such as Jesse Williams holding up on containment or Cornellius Carradine (outside runs burnt us last year a couple times, Jammal Charles 86 yard run week 16)

I think you are the only guy that wants that guy. 

So, on that 80 yard run vs the Titans in the 2-14 season.... he didn't break tackles? He didn't burn the Defense to the endzone? I really don't think you run 80 yards to paydirt if you're slow.

SB Winner (RB):

Where did you come up with this nonsense???

:facepalm:

I think Dustin about said it all.  Bettis was on his last legs that year and wasn't anywhere near elite, by the way.  And yes, Bush was a bust.

C.J. Spiller and Doug Martin were killing teams last year, and Richardson had over 1,000 yards and 12 TD's playing hurt on a terrible team with no QB or receivers where the D just keyed in on him...On your other list Ridley had ok success as did Ballard..Morris is more a product of the read-option and good o-line than a great talent...Martin is a monster as is Spiller , and Richardson will be..Matthews has also been good , but has had injury issues which can happen to any player at any position, and he still may be a pro bowl back eventually if healthy..You just validated my POINT. Thank you

Let's look at the best RBs in the game today:

Arian Foster - undrafted

Adrian Peterson - 1st round

LeSean McCoy - 2nd round

Ray Rice - 2nd round

Frank Gore - 3rd round

MJD - 2nd round

Alfred Morris - 6th round

Jamaal Charles - 3rd round

Let's look at the best RBs in the game today:

Arian Foster - undrafted

Adrian Peterson - 1st round

LeSean McCoy - 2nd round

Ray Rice - 2nd round

Frank Gore - 3rd round

MJD - 2nd round

Alfred Morris - 6th round

Jamaal Charles - 3rd round

Adrian Peterson-1st Rd,Trent Richardson-1st rd, Doug Martin-1st round, C.J. Spiller-1st round, Chris Johnson-1st Rd, Marshawn Lynch-1st Rd, Darren McFadden-1st Rd, Felix Jones-1st Rd, Matt Forte-1st Rd I never said said you couldn't get a game changing back in the 2nd either, but the OVERWHELMING majority of SPECIAL backs are in the 1st or 2nd round by far...Of course there are exceptions but the odds of finding that guy in later rounds are not good at all..Also, I've said Morris and Foster or are products of schemes and great O-lines and are good , but not great by any means...Ballard would have had the same success if he was in Houston or Washington respectively..It is just as hard to form an elite O-line as it is to find an elite back..People act like just because you take guards and tackles in the 1st or 2nd your guaranteed to build an elite line, but it still has to come together and develop and gel, and isn't guaranteed at all..The vast majority of freaks and gamechangers come in the 1st 2 rounds...Not just in this so-called new era, but in every era.

Adrian Peterson-1st Rd,Trent Richardson-1st rd, Doug Martin-1st round, C.J. Spiller-1st round, Chris Johnson-1st Rd, Marshawn Lynch-1st Rd, Darren McFadden-1st Rd, Felix Jones-1st Rd, Matt Forte-1st Rd I never said said you couldn't get a game changing back in the 2nd either, but the OVERWHELMING majority of SPECIAL backs are in the 1st or 2nd round by far...Of course there are exceptions but the odds of finding that guy in later rounds are not good at all..Also, I've said Morris and Foster or are products of schemes and great O-lines and are good , but not great by any means...Ballard would have had the same success if he was in Houston or Washington respectively..It is just as hard to form an elite O-line as it is to find an elite back..People act like just because you take guards and tackles in the 1st or 2nd your guaranteed to build an elite line, but it still has to come together and develop and gel, and isn't guaranteed at all..The vast majority of freaks and gamechangers come in the 1st 2 rounds...Not just in this so-called new era, but in every era.

You don't need a special back to win a Superbowl. You just need a good one. In fact, as Dustin noted, almost none of the SB winners in the past decade have been "special".

You don't need a special back to win a Superbowl. You just need a good one. In fact, as Dustin noted, almost none of the SB winners in the past decade have been "special".

Did I ever say you did?? If you could have 1 would you want 1?? If not, please explain why you wouldn't? Why would you rather a good back instead of an elite back if you had a choice?

I don't think we need an exceptional, Adrian Peterson-esque, RB.  It's no secret that our offense is going to run through Andrew Luck.  I think all we need is a back that can pass protect, get some first downs in short yardage when we need it, catch the ball out of the backfield, and keep defenses honest.  It would be nice to have a guy like Peterson, but I don't think we need one.  There are other, more important, holes to fill on the roster

Did I ever say you did?? If you could have 1 would you want 1?? If not, please explain why you wouldn't? Why would you rather a good back instead of an elite back if you had a choice?

If I had the choice between spending a 1st round pick on an elite pass rusher, offensive lineman, cornerback, etc etc versus an elite RB, the running back would be pretty low on the list. Remember, any first round pick you spend on a RB will be at cost of upgrading another position.

The real question is where you want to spend your limited resources. The smart teams have already figured out that RB isn't that spot.

PFW has Lacey rated as the best RB in the draft, rating him as an instant impact player. That being said, if healthy, I think the Colts have 3 serviceable RBs in Ballard, Brown, and Carter. Add the FA FB to the mix and RB is in decent shape.

Their is NO doubt that Lacey would certainly enhance the Colts' RB depth and frontline RB potency. I, however, would rather take, in order if the top positional prospects fall to us, OL, DB, LB, DL. If Lacey were to be the choice, though, I'd be accepting of it, if not a little dubious about passing up a top OL prospect.

I've been out of this thread for what seems like forever....

Paid no attention to it....

Then, late tonight, I look up, and it's still going....   more than 250 posts....    WTH?!?

What in the world could they be debating in that thread?    What did Todd McShay say that's worth more than 250 posts?

And then I take a look inside and see that the thread has been hi-jacked by  we-know-who....      :facepalm:    

Is this one of those signs of the coming apocalypse?    

He also had surgery for turf toe, and he still can't run or maintain football shape if he is trying to get his leg to heal...What about that is hard to understand?

His turf toe surgery was in 2011. He missed the combine and Alabama's Pro day because of a strained hamstring.  He scheduled his own Pro day and couldn't finish the workout, and ran a 4.58 and a 4.62  in the 40 yd dash. (too slow for many, not all, teams to consider a first round pick.

He was recovered from his TT by last August-

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20120804/NEWS/120809904

I suspect the Rams, Jets, Steelers, and Packers to be his best bet for a round one selection.  I think round 1 is too deep for him to be BPA  for us in round 1.

The 40 time isn't the problem. The problem is that he didn't finish his workout.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/55115/mixed-bag-workout-for-eddie-lacy

For Lacy, it somewhat is.  Analysts predicted a 4.55 40 based upon tape.  Then Lacy ran a disaapointing 4.58 and a 4.62.  (4,6 would be the average.)  They were hoping for faster than the 4.55 and it may drop him off the round one board of many teams..

For Lacy, it somewhat is.  Analysts predicted a 4.55 40 based upon tape.  Then Lacy ran a disaapointing 4.58 and a 4.62.  (4,6 would be the average.)  They were hoping for faster than the 4.55 and it may drop him off the round one board of many teams..

Expected to run 4.55, but ran a 4.58 ... and this is somehow hugely disappointing and might affect his draft position? Seriously, .03 seconds off expectation? I think this sort of measure impact is where talent evaluators lose their minds in looking at measurables and putting WAY too much value in them. In reality, .03 seconds is for all practical purposes NOT off expectation. I mean, take some time and think about just what a .03 differential really is over 40 yards ... what, less than a blink of an eye? Also consider, how rare it is that an RB will ever run a 40 yard straight line in a game situation. In game, methinks a .03 40 yard dash differential is utterly meaningless.

Expected to run 4.55, but ran a 4.58 ... and this is somehow hugely disappointing and might affect his draft position? Seriously, .03 seconds off expectation? I think this sort of measure impact is where talent evaluators lose their minds in looking at measurables and putting WAY too much value in them. In reality, .03 seconds is for all practical purposes NOT off expectation. I mean, take some time and think about just what a .03 differential really is over 40 yards ... what, less than a blink of an eye? Also consider, how rare it is that an RB will ever run a 40 yard straight line in a game situation. In game, methinks a .03 40 yard dash differential is utterly meaningless.

Also the fact that he was too out of shape to finish the drills.

Also the fact that he was too out of shape to finish the drills.

THAT would certainly be the thing that is far more concerning, for sure. Keep in mind, though, if he had been inactive for quite some time due to his being injured, then is it not fair to expect that of course he might not yet be back to elite condition? The question to be asked is how much time has he had to get back in condition since being green lighted to fully commence work outs and is that timeframe reasonable to expect a player coming off injury to be back in shape?

4.55 and 4.58 are the same (three hundredths of a second). Even 4.62 isn't that far off. The 40 times didn't exactly boost his stock, but that wouldn't have been a big deal by itself. Combine the slightly slower than expected 40 times with a severe lack of conditioning, and now you have a big problem.

I didn't really think he was a legitimate first round prospect to begin with. Not that it means anything what I think...

Where do get expected from predicted?  And they were hoping predicted was off and he was faster. No, he ran a (also) 4.62!  and 4.55 and his higher real times are not homeruns for 1st rounders.  Warning track power... / umm speed.

This might be the first yearin a loooong long time where a RBG isn't taken round 1.  But it won't happen. Someone will evbentually bite in the second half round one... hoping he is as good as Ingram or Richardson....

4.55 and 4.58 are the same (three hundredths of a second). Even 4.62 isn't that far off. The 40 times didn't exactly boost his stock, but that wouldn't have been a big deal by itself. Combine the slightly slower than expected 40 times with a severe lack of conditioning, and now you have a big problem.

I didn't really think he was a legitimate first round prospect to begin with. Not that it means anything what I think...

It was predicted, but assumption was he was(hopefully) faster,but  he was even slower.  He will fall.  No clue to how good how will be on the field (better / worse than Ingram/Richardson). just know he has injury history building (Turf toe, hammy's etc) and no elite speed.