Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

McShay hinting....

BlueShoe

I don't see anyway we go RB in the 1st rd. IMO Lacy isn't even a 1st rd. talent, and I still do not think we need to add one at all and please do not tell me why you think we do need one. You'll be wasting your time because nobody is going to change my mind. However if we do pick one, it will be much later in the draft IMO and I'm not so much against that although I do think there would be better value picks available at different positions.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a pass driven league, an RB with pass protection skills takes precedence. If you don't know you have an O-line that can run block, unless you are AD or Barry Sanders, a later round RB with good pass protection skills like Stepfan Taylor will be just as productive, IMO.

Lacy's pass protection skills have not been tested as much and he hasn't wowed anyone with his pass protection skills either. Just because an RB is a power runner, it does not mean that he is going to be productive in our system when our O-line prowess and schemes aren't established as well. Unless the RB has several skills which include pass protection and will be on the field for all 3 downs (like Edge, Addai, at least that was the hope with Donald Brown too), in the current RBC days, a round 1 RB would not be highly warranted, IMO.

I get the feel that many would not like picking up a 1st round RB. In the event that we do, my only question would be, is said player better than Vick Ballard? If so, no complaints from me because Vick has been very impressive. Brown and Carter are camp fodder IMO.

If you believe Brown to be camp fodder, then I assume you believe SJP to be attractive.

Because all 6th round RBs are studs. lol

Most of the members on this board believe that we can pick any back in the draft, in any round, and we will have the next Marshall Faulk. It's unbelievable.

No, that's not the point. The point is that you don't need the next Marshall Faulk in order to have a good run game or a good offense. The value added from even a stud running back is significantly less than the value added from virtually any other starting position on either side of the ball.

No, that's not the point. The point is that you don't need the next Marshall Faulk in order to have a good run game or a good offense. The value added from even a stud running back is significantly less than the value added from virtually any other starting position on either side of the ball.

The chances of a 1st round RB hitting are much greater than other positions such as CB for example which is less of a need than RB for the Colts...We got good CB's such as Powers, Hayden, and Lacy in later rounds, but when we took Marlin Jackson in the 1st he turned out to be a bum...You can get a quality guard in the 3rd such as Frederick, Winters, Schwenke, or B. Jones and they could compete for a starting spot as well...You can't only have the argument 1 way and be 100% completely against a top back.

The chances of a 1st round RB hitting are much greater than other positions such as CB for example which is less of a need than RB for the Colts...We got good CB's such as Powers, Hayden, and Lacy in later rounds, but when we took Marlin Jackson in the 1st he turned out to be a bum...You can get a quality guard in the 3rd such as Frederick, Winters, Schwenke, or B. Jones and they could compete for a starting spot as well...You can't only have the argument 1 way and be 100% completely against a top back.

We do not need a running back more than we need depth behind or preferably in front of the inept Cassius 'backside to the ball' Vaughn....period!

Lacy was horrible...and was an undrafted free agent.....I actually think he was better than 'I never see the play' Vaughn...(WOW did I just give Vaughn two more new nicknames?)  More to come until he gets Edgerrin's jersey off of him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :spit:  :spit:  :colts:  :colts:  :pass:  :pass: !!

you think Powers, Lacy and Hayden were good Corners? yeah just stop the debate right there, no need to take it any further  :funny:

We do not need a running back more than we need depth behind or preferably in front of the inept Cassius 'backside to the ball' Vaughn....period!

Lacy was horrible...and was an undrafted free agent.....I actually think he was better than 'I never see the play' Vaughn...(WOW did I just give Vaughn two more new nicknames?)  More to come until he gets Edgerrin's jersey off of him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :spit:  :spit:  :colts:  :colts:  :pass:  :pass: !!

How do you know a guy like Rhodes is such a sure thing? He could be like Marlin Jackson...it also takes corners much more time to develop ..A great running back can change your team day 1.

People seriously have to consider the oline Lacy gets. Put him behind our oline from last year & I PROMISE you he will not look like a 1st round talent. Stop feeding into this Alabama RB hype. Cause only 1 of the last 2 taken in the 1st have become Starters in the NFL and that's Richardson. Ingram has been in NO & still hasn't started consecutive games that a 1st rounder should.

you think Powers, Lacy and Hayden were good Corners? yeah just stop the debate right there, no need to take it any further  :funny:

Lacy developed into a pretty good corner, and Powers was and will be very good if he can stay healthy...Hayden was a key component on defense the year we won the Super Bowl and has been starting on 1 of the best defenses in the league in Chicago for years now..If he isn't good why is he starting for the Bears?? Why did the Cardinals sign Powers to a nice deal? Why was lacy claimed as a restricted free agent and we didn't have the cap room to sign him because of Peyton and Freeneys contracts???  You must know more than GM's around the NFL? 

How do you know a guy like Rhodes is such a sure thing? He could be like Marlin Jackson...it also takes corners much more time to develop ..A great running back can change your team day 1.

Is that why Cleveland finished with the 6th pick in the draft? or KC finished with the 1st pick? what about Jacksonvile-2nd or the Eagles-4th or the Titans-10th?

Lacy developed into a pretty good corner, and Powers was and will be very good if he can stay healthy...Hayden was a key component on defense the year we won the Super Bowl and has been starting on 1 of the best defenses in the league in Chicago for years now..If he isn't good why is he starting for the Bears?? Why did the Cardinals sign Powers to a nice deal? Why was lacy claimed as a restricted free agent and we didn't have the cap room to sign him because of Peyton and Freeneys contracts??? You must know more than GM's around the NFL?

Because outside of Peanut, the Bears don't have any CB's

Just saying. And Lacy is pure garbage. You're garbage when you go to the Lions (who desperately need help in the secondary) & still look like garbage

People seriously have to consider the oline Lacy gets. Put him behind our oline from last year & I PROMISE you he will not look like a 1st round talent. Stop feeding into this Alabama RB hype. Cause only 1 of the last 2 taken in the 1st have become Starters in the NFL and that's Richardson. Ingram has been in NO & still hasn't started consecutive games that a 1st rounder should.

He won't be running behind last years line...This line on paper is already much better..Also, I fully expect us to draft a guard in the 3rd or sign another guard as more will be cut  for salary cap reasons.

You don't.  

Rhodes is the only corner I would take at 24, but that is just me....

I want another pass rusher whether DT or OLB...BPA

He won't be running behind last years line...This line on paper is already much better..Also, I fully expect us to draft a guard in the 3rd or sign another guard as more will be cut  for salary cap reasons.

He won't be...because we are not going to draft him  :funny:

I know now why all you talk about are running backs....you have no clue what a good cornerback is.  WOW!

He won't be running behind last years line...This line on paper is already much better..Also, I fully expect us to draft a guard in the 3rd or sign another guard as more will be cut for salary cap reasons.

But he's not coming to the Colts. Especially not with our 24th. Now if we get some other picks in the 3rd or something... we may consider it. But 24 is a major reach

Because outside of Peanut, the Bears don't have any CB's

Just saying. And Lacy is pure garbage. You're garbage when you go to the Lions (who desperately need help in the secondary) & still look like garbage

Is that why Cleveland finished with the 6th pick in the draft? or KC finished with the 1st pick? what about Jacksonvile-2nd or the Eagles-4th or the Titans-10th?

Richardson played hurt all year and still finished with 1,000 yds, and Cleveland started another rookie qb with no weapons so defenses keyed on the Running Back, same situation in KC no QB and injuries, in PHI, no line, no QB, Titans rookie QB, bad line, Britt hurt... JAX-BLAIN GABBERT, ENOUGH SAID--In all those terrible inept examples the 1 factor was defenses could key in on the RB and focus on that...The colts don't have that problem...We have the QB, our line will be much better, we have fast young recievers and Wayne??? Here are some good examples for you that maybe you can grasp-BAL-RAY RICE, SF-FRANK GORE, SEA-MARSHAWN LYNCH, HOU-ARIAN FOSTER, THOSE TEAMS HAD PRETTY GOOD RUNNING BACKS..Lynch and Rice were 1st rounders as was McGahee for Denver and he was having a good year till he was hurt. COME ON MAN!!

Richardson played hurt all year and still finished with 1,000 yds, and Cleveland started another rookie qb with no weapons so defenses keyed on the Running Back, same situation in KC no QB and injuries, in PHI, no line, no QB, Titans rookie QB, bad line, Britt hurt... JAX-BLAIN GABBERT, ENOUGH SAID--In all those terrible inept examples the 1 factor was defenses could key in on the RB and focus on that...The colts don't have that problem...We have the QB, our line will be much better, we have fast young recievers and Wayne??? Here are some good examples for you that maybe you can grasp-BAL-RAY RICE, SF-FRANK GORE, SEA-MARSHAWN LYNCH, HOU-ARIAN FOSTER, THOSE TEAMS HAD PRETTY GOOD RUNNING BACKS..Lynch and Rice were 1st rounders as was McGahee for Denver and he was having a good year till he was hurt. COME ON MAN!!

Not sure why I was quoted on a RB post but okay.

And Arian Foster: Undrafted. Proving you don't need to spend a 1st on a RB to get a good one. Foster is proof that with a good oline, ANY RB WILL DO FINE!

Lacy developed into a pretty good corner, and Powers was and will be very good if he can stay healthy...Hayden was a key component on defense the year we won the Super Bowl and has been starting on 1 of the best defenses in the league in Chicago for years now..If he isn't good why is he starting for the Bears?? Why did the Cardinals sign Powers to a nice deal? Why was lacy claimed as a restricted free agent and we didn't have the cap room to sign him because of Peyton and Freeneys contracts???  You must know more than GM's around the NFL? 

Hayden was a key component? come on I know he made the pick to give us the win in the SB but what did he do before that? 1 start, 36 tackles and 1 pass deflection? you were much better of bringing up Tim Jennings, Powers was so good he managed 6 picks in 40 games as a Colt and 33 pass deflections while not having the speed to stay with outside wr's. 

The chances of a 1st round RB hitting are much greater than other positions such as CB

Based on what?

for example which is less of a need than RB for the Colts...

Based on what?

And who cares? Why draft for need? You take the best player.

We got good CB's such as Powers, Hayden, and Lacy in later rounds, but when we took Marlin Jackson in the 1st he turned out to be a bum...

Who said anything about a cornerback?

You can get a quality guard in the 3rd such as Frederick, Winters, Schwenke, or B. Jones and they could compete for a starting spot as well...

Who said anything about a guard?

You can't only have the argument 1 way and be 100% completely against a top back.

It's not a one way argument. My point is that the value added for virtually any other starting position is greater than the value added for a starting running back, even a stud. You can be the Browns and take Trent Richardson at #3, but running backs don't win you games. Or you can improve your offensive line and have a platoon of decent backs, and be a really good running team. That's why Washington was ahead of Minnesota in total rushing yards, despite the Vikings having the absolute best back in the NFL. And the Skins got their lead back in the 6th round. You don't need to invest first round picks in running backs anymore, not if your goal is to have a balanced offense.

Me personally, I wouldn't take a running back in the first round, period. I might miss out on a stud, but I think a balanced team focuses on more valuable positions with premiere picks. The Saints took Mark Ingram at #28, but they could have had Muhammed Wilkerson, Brooks Reed, Akeem Ayers, or Jabal Sheard, all picked within the next 16 selections. The Saints throw the ball as much as any other team, but their defense can't get stops. Where would they have gotten the most value? Not with Ingram, with his 1,000 yards and ten touchdowns over the last two seasons. Running back just isn't a premiere position anymore.

HMMM...so Denver takes.....Ball? Bell?...Lacy falls?

Just like I said about our own Carter in another thread....ya gotta come to play Brother!!! This is the NFL...not Pee Wee!!!

Denver needs a RB? They have 3 already right? I know McGahee is getting old. I guess they could use another. But they gotta get that Defense together & let Peyton do his thing on Offense

Case & Point. Sorry Lacy, you ARE the weakest link...... goodbye

He just ran a 4.6 40 and was too out of shape to finish drills. Yep, 2nd rounder just like I thought. Maybe we can get him in the 3rd.

Scout and coaches left with questions about Lacy's work ethic and preparation habits. Some wondered why he wasn't ready for his big day.

HE HAS BEEN INJURED WHICH IS WHY HE MISSED COMBINE AND PRO DAY...SMH..YOUR THE SAME GUY WHO WANTS DEOMANTRE MOORE IN THE 1ST WHO SOME HAVE DROPPING TO THE 3RD BECAUSE OF TERRIBLE INTERVIEWS AND NO WORK ETHIC..ANOTHER GHOLSTON IN THE MAKING..

Grigson was asked between an OL and a CB. He felt a CB can use his god given ability on an island much easier than an OL adapting to so many bullets flying at him as a rookie.

So, outside RB, CB and WR are easier positions to transition from college to the NFL too.

DL and OL is another thing, those are the tougher transitions, IMO. Safety is another one too because you are not an island, you are normally responsible for more than your assignment and have to communicate more as well.

You don't.  

Rhodes is the only corner I would take at 24, but that is just me....

I want another pass rusher whether DT or OLB...BPA

i'VE SAID MANY TIMES WE NEED A RUSH OLB AND i AM NOT AGAINST IT...I'M JUST MAKING THE POINT FOR LACY. I WOULD BE HAPPY IF WE GET COOPER OR 1 OF THE MANY GOOD OLB'S, BUT I'D ALSO BE EXCITED IF WE GOT LACY...JUST NO REACH AT GUARD AND NO CB'S OR SAFETY IN THE FIRST.

i'VE SAID MANY TIMES WE NEED A RUSH OLB AND i AM NOT AGAINST IT...I'M JUST MAKING THE POINT FOR LACY. I WOULD BE HAPPY IF WE GET COOPER OR 1 OF THE MANY GOOD OLB'S, BUT I'D ALSO BE EXCITED IF WE GOT LACY...JUST NO REACH AT GUARD AND NO CB'S OR SAFETY IN THE FIRST.

brick-loud-noises-b-1.jpg