Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Te'o runs unofficial 4.75 at pro day.

That's not slow at all for an MLB.

For a 1st round pick it is guys like Kuechly,Cushing,Timmons ran in the 4.5 to 4.6. Most of the slower guys who ran in the 4.75 range like Mcclain,Laurinaitis, Puzlunzy,A.J Hawk haven't been successful because they can't play all three downs. Their all libilities vs play action and fast TE's.

Second timing is 4.71....

Plus....   his reaction time and instincts play faster....

Some players run fast 40 times but can't figure out where the ball is....

Some player run slower 40 times and meet the RB at the whole.

The 40 time is nice,  but it's not the be-all and end-all...

For a 1st round pick it is guys like Kuechly,Cushing,Timmons ran in the 4.5 to 4.6. Most of the slower guys who ran in the 4.75 range like Mcclain,Laurinaitis, Puzlunzy,A.J Hawk haven't been successful because they can't play all three downs. Their all libilities vs play action and fast TE's.

Still, 4.75 isn't elite but it's not slow either.

Judging from the contract Road Warrior Ram got, his team feels he has been a success.

Ok hes not gonna get drafted because of his 40 time :thmup: hes gonna get drafted in the 1rst round I might add soley on his film ,his ability to read, react,make the play,and doing it quickly not with 40 speed but reaction time,and instinct IMO,Do not be surprised if he ends up a Bear

Posluszny, Laurinaitis have not been successful? huh?

40 yrd dash is overrated.  especially for a MLB.  if he ran a 4.55 he'd be fast but a 4.75 and he's slow????  we are talking about .2 seconds over a span of 40 yards.  not gonna show much on the field in a real game. 

:nono:

Posluszny, Laurinaitis have not been successful? huh?

Their good but not great or worthy of a 1st or 2nd round pick. Both are zone Tampa 2 lb's  good against the run but aren't athletic enough to cover TE's. If your take a LB that high u want them to be fast,athletic,and great against the run. Teo is very similar to those 2 guys but Ogletree and Brown are the type of LB's u draft in the 1st round.

40 yrd dash is overrated.  especially for a MLB.  if he ran a 4.55 he'd be fast but a 4.75 and he's slow????  we are talking about .2 seconds over a span of 40 yards.  not gonna show much on the field in a real game. 

What makes it relevant is you see 3 things. The initial burst, the athletes acceleration to his top speed and finally what his top speed actually is.

Now for the ILb position...explosion is important when it comes to PA's, misdirections, shedding blocks, making tackles and even blitzes to a lesser extent. Acceleration is important on any play outside the tackles. Top end speed isnt all that important if the other 2 are great... Which in Teo's case..they where not, which makes his dismal 40 time expected... In fact the best times usually go to the athletes who reach their top speed the fastest, not the ones with the fastest top end speed. Which is why that .2 makes all the difference.

Fun fact: TY Hilton ran a 4.34 and Fleener ran a 4.51.. Id say its noticeable.

I think he is a 4-3 ILB but could see him in a 3-4 with a darn good NT, Bottom line is I dont care if he runs a 5-6 or longer second 40 his speed is not a concern to me, What is a concern is he struggles to shed blocks against O Linemen

I think he is a 4-3 ILB but could see him in a 3-4 with a darn good NT, Bottom line is I dont care if he runs a 5-6 or longer second 40 his speed is not a concern to me, What is a concern is he struggles to shed blocks against O Linemen

how can you see him in a 4-3 over a 3-4? Hes played in a 3-4 his whole ND career

What's interesting is that people still talk about Ogletree as though he's an athletic freak and rag on Manti when Ogletree's combine workout really wasn't much different than Te'o's was. That said, pro day 40's should always be taken with a little grain of salt. There's a reason people value combine workout numbers more, and it's because everyone's on the same field. 

how can you see him in a 4-3 over a 3-4? Hes played in a 3-4 his whole ND career

Doesn't shed blocks real well, He will be facing better O Linemen on a more regular basis depending on where he goes, Ultimately though I think its a very good chance he is picked by the Bears, they have a hole at ILB now and it would be a good fit where Teo can drop back and play side line to sideline and make plays in the cover 2 while playing center field, also another place I can see him landing it Baltimore

I just saw Manti on Jon Gruden's QB, ummm, LB camp.  ;)

Gruden didn't hold back.  Showed the many mistakes and holes in Manti's game against many teams/players.  Especially missing pass cover assignments.  Gruden also showed Manti's instincts and effort.  Among things valued. Gruden said he's take an LB at 4.8 speed that sniffed out the ball over a guy with 4.3 that had no clue where he was going. LOL

Manti has to face adversity, the draft, in media, in social media (and forums), and soon in his locker room.  Gruden's test was his first step.