Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Owners Meeting-WR target may be Desean Jackson

loudnproudcolt

Here is the article which was just put out by LaCanfora on CBS Sportsline. Basically all the execs at the NFL meetings have been trying to do what we all have been doing. Trying to decipher what Jim Irsay is thinking. Through process of elimination, Desean Jackson is the name that comes up.

It should be noted many say with as aggressive as Grigson is, and Irsay as the owner, nothing would surprise anyone though: Here is the link:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason-la-canfora/21906773/best-spot-for-irsay-to-land-whopper-wideout-probably-philly

From my own standpoint, I just don't think it makes any sense though. Yes Desean is a WR, and not a slot receiver, but he still is so close to T.Y. in my opinion. Same build. If you are going to trade for Jackson so he is one of your receivers on the outside, why not just put T.Y. there and take him out of the slot?

I don't like DJ. He's talented, but I don't think he plays with heart. And I feel like he is one of those guys that relies on his natural speed to produce. I don't see any real progression in his game (if anything he had regressed). I know Grigson has history there but Ide pass.

Superman and I discussed this in another thread. D Jax just got a huge multiyear deal.  If Phllly was to deal him to us in a trade, in addition to what we give the Eagles we would also have to pay him his 6.75 million salary for 2103 which is guaranteed in his current contract (4 mil fully, 2.75 mil for injury) and then possibly renegotiate a contract where he was previously to have a base salary > 10 million per year for a few years. And on top of it, the Eagles get stuck with an 8 million dollar dead money cap hit in 2013.

If they can't get a deal done and because it IS D Jax they are targeting, I can see why they can't find a solution where both teams and the agent/player feel comfortable closing the deal. I don't see this as happening at all.

No way Chip Kelly lets DJ go. He's perfect for his offense. He signed a contract with them a little while ago as well.

As for the fit, he is an outside reciever but he's not a Michael Crabtree style possession reciever, he's just a slightly taller version of TY. 

He's just a bit too much of a headcase for me.

I'd think it be more likely to be Maclin.  He's on the last year of his deal, so trading him out makes sense for Philly, especially if it nets them a pick THIS year.  Then Kelly can grab a new guy on a light 4 year deal.  I'm wondering if the numbers part is due to negotiations on Maclin's future contract, as his cap charge would be pretty light for us this year.

I'd much rather see Maclin here than Jackson.

Only thing that would make me think twice about grabbing d jax is his contract. And Ty can't play on the outside. If he drop the intermediate passes what makes you think he can catch the bombs and deep cross routes?

Sign me up. Work out a good contract irsay and we would have our downfield threat.

Here is the article which was just put out by LaCanfora on CBS Sportsline. Basically all the execs at the NFL meetings have been trying to do what we all have been doing. Trying to decipher what Jim Irsay is thinking. Through process of elimination, Desean Jackson is the name that comes up.

It should be noted many say with as aggressive as Grigson is, and Irsay as the owner, nothing would surprise anyone though: Here is the link:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason-la-canfora/21906773/best-spot-for-irsay-to-land-whopper-wideout-probably-philly

From my own standpoint, I just don't think it makes any sense though. Yes Desean is a WR, and not a slot receiver, but he still is so close to T.Y. in my opinion. Same build. If you are going to trade for Jackson so he is one of your receivers on the outside, why not just put T.Y. there and take him out of the slot?

Several shout-outs...

Props to LoudandProudColt for finding and posting this!

Even bigger props to the writer, Jason LaCanfora.   THIS is the story I've been exepcting from some national writer.   Irsay made such a big deal of it over the weekend,  how could some writer NOT do a story on this??    Seems a natural to do.

But,  the writer correctly notes that with FitzGerald's long term deal,  if he was traded,  a ton of money would get accelerated into the Cardinals cap....  the hit making the deal a virtual impossibility....

Well, with DJax also having a large, long-term contract, I think the same would apply for Philly.   I think they'd take a cap hit of more than $40 Mill.    That would make the deal impossible.

But seeing that a number of NFL gm's think that Philly (Grigson) makes sense as a trade partner,  that brings me back to Maclin.

I'd be beyond shocked, to say nothing of disappointed if the deal was for our 1st.   That'd be a deal breaker for the Colts.

If we've been haggling for a week,  then I think it's likely over whether we'd give them our #3 or our #4?    That would make more sense from the Colts standpoint.     Or, if there's a 2nd mid-level pick (maybe from 2014?)  involved,  that's another thing to haggle?    Plus,  extending Maclin out.   His contract is up after next year.    Don't want to trade for a key guy then lose him quickly.

So,  I think Maclin is the guy.     He's now on my radar until something more logical knocks it off.

Props again to all involved here and thanks again to Loud and Proud!

P.S. --  (Could Irsay's tweet about a big fish be a "Maclin"???)

Here's the Maclin bio:

Lots and lots to like.     The guy has played 4 years in the league, and he doesn't turn 25 until May.    He's young and talented!

http://legacy.philadelphiaeagles.com/eagles_files/html/maclin_1.html

As with our Vonte David deal,  it's all about the terms of the trade....   but I hope we can do this for Maclin.    I think this would be a very good deal.

D Jax cap hit to Eagles would be 8 million.  I felt earlier it was Maclin, for a third (but maybe they want our 1st- no way). Now I'm swinging toward Hakeem Nicks, and they are squabbling over pick(s) and contract numbers to fit.  Irsay waiting it out for price to drop with Nicks coming off a poor year due to injury and just having off season surgery.  Giants can't afford to keep both Nicks and Cruz, with both being UFA next season.

D Jax cap hit to Eagles would be 8 million.  I felt earlier it was Maclin, for a third (but maybe they want our 1st- no way). Now I'm swinging toward Hakeem Nicks, and they are squabbling over pick(s) and contract numbers to fit.  Irsay waiting it out for price to drop with Nicks coming off a poor year due to injury and just having off season surgery.  Giants can't afford to keep both Nicks and Cruz, with both being UFA next season.

You may be right, but I think the Giants value Nicks more than Cruz....    so I have my doubts....

Just my opinion,  nothing more....

I think you were right with Maclin.....

Several shout-outs...

Props to LoudandProudColt for finding and posting this!

Even bigger props to the writer, Jason LaCanfora.   THIS is the story I've been exepcting from some national writer.   Irsay made such a big deal of it over the weekend,  how could some writer NOT do a story on this??    Seems a natural to do.

But,  the writer correctly notes that with FitzGerald's long term deal,  if he was traded,  a ton of money would get accelerated into the Cardinals cap....  the hit making the deal a virtual impossibility....

Well, with DJax also having a large, long-term contract, I think the same would apply for Philly.   I think they'd take a cap hit of more than $40 Mill.    That would make the deal impossible.

But seeing that a number of NFL gm's think that Philly (Grigson) makes sense as a trade partner,  that brings me back to Maclin.

I'd be beyond shocked, to say nothing of disappointed if the deal was for our 1st.   That'd be a deal breaker for the Colts.

If we've been haggling for a week,  then I think it's likely over whether we'd give them our #3 or our #4?    That would make more sense from the Colts standpoint.     Or, if there's a 2nd mid-level pick (maybe from 2014?)  involved,  that's another thing to haggle?    Plus,  extending Maclin out.   His contract is up after next year.    Don't want to trade for a key guy then lose him quickly.

So,  I think Maclin is the guy.     He's now on my radar until something more logical knocks it off.

Props again to all involved here and thanks again to Loud and Proud!

P.S. --  (Could Irsay's tweet about a big fish be a "Maclin"???)

It seems you have absolutely no understanding of Cap hits. Maybe this will help.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/desean-jackson/

It seems you have absolutely no understanding of Cap hits. Maybe this will help.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/desean-jackson/

Was that the link you wanted to give me?    If so,  it's the link I used in a post in this very thread.

And it doesn't begin to explain the rules on Cap Hits.    But the story in this thread referenced trading a player with a long-term contract and that the cap hits from the remaining years of a accelerate into one year.    That's what the story referenced for Fitzgerald.   I think the same would be true for Jackson.

But since you're under the impression that you understand the rules....    be my guest.   Explain to me and everyone else here.

Go right ahead..................

One last thought.....

There are people working in the NFL right now who don't fully understand Cap Hits.   I'd say most members of the media don't understand Cap Hits.    It's certainly not a stretch to say likely 95%+ of all fans don't fully understand Cap hits.     If I'm one of them -- and I'm sure I am -- that's not much of a badge of shame....