Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL GMs Want To Know If Manti Teo Is Gay

He's slow and can't tackle. 

Really?    He's got well over 400 tackles in 4 years that says otherwise.....

If you're going to judge a player by his worst game,  then there's never been a good player in the history of the NFL....  

Seriously.

Come on now....   you can do better than that...

"According to a report by Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk and NBC Sports, NFL coaches and general managers want to know if Notre Dame LB Manti Te'o is gay. 'It's been described to me as the proverbial elephant in the room and I don't think anyone knows how to solve this dilemma yet. It's just that they want to know what they're getting,' Florio said. 'They want to know what issues they may be dealing with down the road. We just assumed that at some point there would be an openly gay played in an NFL locker room and the team would have to work with the realities and make sure that everything's fine. I'm not saying anyone would take Manti Te'o off the board if they suspected he's gay or know he's gay. That's just the thing that's out there that they want to know the answer to."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/21766746/nfl-combine-florio-says-teams-want-to-know-if-teo-is-gay

Hmmmmmm I don't know what to say about this one. Jeesh this guy sure isn't getting a friendly welcome to the NFL that's for sure.

A person's sexual preference is no GM, front office executive, or NFL head coach's darn business. Just because Manti was duped by a unconventional relationship doesn't translate into "rooting for the home team." I know you know that krunk. Shyness & inexperience with women in the physical intimacy sense does not mean that one is gay. Just when I think we are making positive strides forward in society, NFL decision makers fall prey to negative stereotypes about people with no basis in fact. Can this kid be an effective LB in this league or not? That's all that matters. His impact on the football field. If Manti can tackle, all this sexual innuendo disappears forever. This is a sad, dark day in the NFL...Sigh...

A person's sexual preference is no GM, front office executive, or NFL head coach's darn business. Just because Manti was duped by a unconventional relationship doesn't translate into "rooting for the home team." I know you know that krunk. Shyness & inexperience with women in the physical intimacy sense does not mean that one is gay. Just when I think we are making positive strides forward in society, NFL decision makers fall prey to negative stereotypes about people with no basis in fact. Can this kid be an effective LB in this league or not? That's all that matters. His impact on the football field. If Manti can tackle, all this sexual innuendo disappears forever. This is a sad, dark day in the NFL...Sigh...

Yes, it is none of their business. But I am conjecturing here that the reason they are trying to find that out is because they wonder if Teo played along with this dead GF story because he wasn't comfortable coming out of the closet and wanted to create this diversion along with the attention that came with it.

Like I said, there are a lot of assumptions here - first, that he is culpable in this dead GF incident and second, if he is culpable, what are the possible reasons he could do this besides just being an attention grabber and if he is not secure with himself? Some GMs must feel he is at least culpable to find out what they are trying to find out. Like I said, it is my guess purely.

Manti T'eo....whether he was complicit in the catfish incident to any degree or not, and regardless of the reason...up until now has already represented a Tebow-level craze of media attention.

Whether anyone agrees with the lifestyle or not, that kind of news would undoubtedly skyrocket the attention much, much further....and let's be honest....with who knows what kind of ripple effect within the locker room.

GMs simply won't want to deal with that.

Is this any worse than Ireland questioning Dez Bryant about if his mother was a prostitute? Is it worse than Tebow's treatment? So,the NFL is anti Christian, anti prostitution and anti gay. I think they are just pro money and they don't want to draft a flake( wishy washy).

This is so much nonsense... Teo's sexuality is inconsequential... There are a bunch of gay players in the NFL, just do the math... statistically, on average, every team has at least one gay player. The fact that nobody has come out of the closet is a sign that the NFL culture is slow to recognize reality... a consequence of any business run principally by very old (white) men. These guys just learned about CTE earlier this year...

Most of this is predraft posturing... If teams are worried about his mental state, they should just say so..

If any GMs actually asked him about his sexuality it would be grounds for a very large employment discrimination lawsuit... I don't think it would have any significant effect on the locker room (the military is doing just fine with it) and any player who did make an issue out of it should be immediately cut from the team for being a D.B.... These guys are supposed to be college educated... how fast would a player be thrown out on his butt for publicly making a racist comment?

Grow Up, * (NFL teams)... your beliefs (religious or otherwise) are no more valid or important than anyone else's... A person chooses his or her beliefs, which means that they should never be above criticism... somebody's sexuality is no more under their control than the color of their eyes or the size of their feet, which puts it above the realm of valid criticism... That is my belief... it just happens to be rooted in many decades of social science research as opposed to some backward notion of morality invented by a society that didn't know enough to keep their feces out of their food. (and yes, I have a gay family member, hence the severe reaction to this rampant ignorance in my favorite sport)

"According to a report by Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk and NBC Sports, NFL coaches and general managers want to know if Notre Dame LB Manti Te'o is gay. 'It's been described to me as the proverbial elephant in the room and I don't think anyone knows how to solve this dilemma yet. It's just that they want to know what they're getting,' Florio said. 'They want to know what issues they may be dealing with down the road. We just assumed that at some point there would be an openly gay played in an NFL locker room and the team would have to work with the realities and make sure that everything's fine. I'm not saying anyone would take Manti Te'o off the board if they suspected he's gay or know he's gay. That's just the thing that's out there that they want to know the answer to."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/21766746/nfl-combine-florio-says-teams-want-to-know-if-teo-is-gay

Hmmmmmm I don't know what to say about this one. Jeesh this guy sure isn't getting a friendly welcome to the NFL that's for sure.

Gay or not, he is going to catch heck from every one the rest of his career.      And he blamed his slow 40 time on "stress" ...     UGHHHH

Stress?  Really... and he wants to play MLB in the NFL....     BUT, if stress is the issue then that explains the BAMA tape.    This guy is just not a sold bet.      Soft as a baby's bum. 

I more I hear and see the more I just do not like about this guy.      It would not shock me one bit if he was ...   flaming

Gay or not, he is going to catch heck from every one the rest of his career.      And he blamed his slow 40 time on "stress" ...     UGHHHH

Stress?  Really... and he wants to play MLB in the NFL....     BUT, if stress is the issue then that explains the BAMA tape.    This guy is just not a sold bet.      Soft as a baby's bum. 

I more I hear and see the more I just do not like about this guy.      It would not shock me one bit if he was ...   flaming

Well John Dee you know you and I have been slamming Teo since that Alabama game. I had my doubts even before that game. He put even more stress on himself sitting with the guys from NFL Network and telling them he was running 4.5 and 4.6 in his private work outs. Now he's got to improve to that point, or it will look like another catfish story. Yes some other players have been able to produce wtih slow forty times at MLB but I just don't think it will be Teo. We will see what happens!

King James has been kicked in the teeth a couple times in his career himself. Comes with the territory of being a top dawg athlete. Teo better get used to it.

"I got kicked in the teeth so I'm going to do it to somebody".....can't say I follow that logic....just makes u look small

You know, I made my fair share of Te'o jokes at the beginning- let's be honest, the situation was funny, and people overreacting was even more funny. Stories like this pop up in bars and parties and they're funny, they just don't have the national media propagandizing it as some sort of gigantic outrage.

That said, enough's enough. I can't imagine the nonsense the dude's had to deal with since then, but whatever it's been, the punishment has more than fit any "crime" he might've done to have deserved it (if one takes that stance). This is just getting downright insulting, and it's an embarrassment to the NFL and the national media. Know when the joke's over, people. Otherwise you're just doing the Chappelle's Show Rick James bit 10,000 times after everyone quit liking it.

I think Te'o can play.  We have seen many times that the 40 time isn't a good indicator of how good of a football player a guy is.  Heyward-Bey ran a wicked 40, so did Van *.  Furthermore, a number of GMs have said that the 40 time does not concern them.  Brandon Spikes ran a terrible 40, but has turned into a very good player.  As for his sexuality, that's no one else's business.  The guy can play football.

Ya I watched a bit of the NFL network coverage and I don't remember the anylists name but he said basically he had Teo as a late 1st early 2nd round pick before the combine. He said the 40 time doesn't change that. He would still put him in that catagory. There are plenty of linebackers in the NFL running 4.8 40's. Especially an ILB I don't see the 40 time being that big of a deal. He sure looked like he could drop back and cover the middle of the field on passing downs. I think before the controversy arose many people had hyped him as a possible top 5 pick. As the NFL network guy said, that was just hype.

This has all the hallmarks of the next big court battle for the NFL. The league released a statement today cautioning teams against that line of questioning which I guess was asked of that Colorado kid.

Evidently it's a state matter....some teams can ask and some cannot.

"American law on this matter is like a crazy quilt," said Matthew Finkin, professor of law at the University of Illinois and author of Privacy in Employment Law, which tackles equality in American employment on a state-by-state basis.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--can-nfl-teams-ask-manti-te-o-if-he-s-gay--depends-on-which-teams-are-doing-the-asking-024157625.html

The irony of all this is that the US military, under pressure that it was discriminatory, had to abandon it's "don't ask don't tell" policy in favor of a policy allowing homosexual service members to openly proclaim their sexual preference. The "don't ask don't tell" policy, by not asking service members their orientation, allowed the individual the conduct of their sexual orientation while maintaining an environment of professionalism that is expected regardless of their preference.

Apparently....that jettisoned DOD policy, which was effectively a "nobody's business" policy, was not good enough and it sounds like the folks hyper-driving the issue seek to force employers or business owners to accept the "don't ask" part of the equation without any right to assess the workplace ramifications of eliminating the "don't tell" part of it or other aspects of the lifestyle. And it is simply unrealistic to expect there aren't any ramifications.

Translating it all to the environment of an NFL locker room and, first of all, considering the very real health and safety concerns around the homosexual lifestyle....not to mention the rather unprofessional atmosphere that sometimes takes place in an NFL locker room....aren't NFL GMs being demonized somewhat unfairly for asking a prospect these things?

Or do we simply proceed to the inevitable lawsuits if a health-related situation happens or a rookie hazing incident goes really bad? Remember....we're asking 20-something, coddled millionaires with no shortage of sexual libido to act responsibly.

One can hope all they want for a clean-cut utopian solution to this where everyone has identical comfort levels on the matter. That's just not gonna happen when there is seemingly no room for anyone else's opinion or discomfort....even when they're rooted in different belief systems that are also protected under the law.

It's a fine mess....isn't it, football fans?

Now we all get to hear discussions and probably court battles over a behavior manifested by a preference....biological or otherwise....that's supposed to be "nobody's business".

And you thought the NFL Combine was all about 40yd dashes and 3-cone drills!! :lol:

No thanks, i'd take Freeman and Angerer.....................and probably Connor as well.

I wouldnt touch T'eo with a 10 foot pole.

angerer is not a 3/4 ilb. Hes a cover two guy. Conner is bavkup material. Freeman has the potential yo be a stud. If ilb was a huge need and you paired freeman and teo together in the middle they would doninate

I think the question is simple asked in a couple of delicate ways .

Dude do you like Show Tunes ? 

Are you now or ever been a member of the Judy Garland fan club ?

And just maybe he should consider gifting soap on a rope for any new team mates that are a lil shy .

Heh, I love show tunes! :)

As a non-homophobic GM, I wouldn't care if he was gay, but I would care if my team cared if he was gay. He might be an okay football player, but if he can't take the abuse from the team, he doesn't belong on my team. I am just glad that the Colts don't have to worry about him, because I think he's an awful player.