Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Some Patriot "Speculation"

dw49

Latest Headlines

6470.jpg

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported Monday that the Patriots are expected to "entertain offers" for Ryan Mallett on the heels of Tom Brady's contract extension.

The Pats have Brady (cheaply) locked in for the next five seasons, and Mallett's rookie deal runs out in 2015. "I think it means he's gonna be traded," Rapoport said of Mallett. The Browns seem likely to at least explore the possibility of a trade, and might be the team Bill Belichick calls first. We suspect Mallett would be available for a second-rounder. Cleveland does not have a second-rounder in April's draft, but could either put together a package of 2013 picks or offer a second-round selection from a future draft.

Feb 25 - 6:22 P

If true , I'm dying to see what he brings. They used an early 3rd I think. He appears to have been a good choice , so what do they get as a "reward" for making a "value" pick at the QB possition ?

It only takes ONE team. Hello Jets or Raiders. Actually the raiders make perfect sense. They always give the Pats high picks for average players.

The Jets are rebuilding so they won't give up any picks and the Raiders have Carson Palmer and Terrel Pryor and if they wanted they could take Geno Smith at a#3.

I called this years ago when he was first drafted. Lol. Now I'll ask the obligatory question: Should the Colts sign him?

But seriously this should have a few teams taking a peek. It could be the Aaron Rodgers Effect.

I would think that there are 

It only takes ONE team. Hello Jets or Raiders. Actually the raiders make perfect sense. They always give the Pats high picks for average players.

The Jets are rebuilding so they won't give up any picks and the Raiders have Carson Palmer and Terrel Pryor and if they wanted they could take Geno Smith at a#3.

Palmer is a disaster. I would think Mallett is a better choice than Pryor or Geno. Remember he has two years under Brady and Belichick for his development.

Palmer is a disaster. I would think Mallett is a better choice than Pryor or Geno. Remember he has two years under Brady and Belichick for his development.

Palmer just threw for 4,000 yards and had a 22-14 td/int ratio with no O-line, run game, or wide receivers.

Palmer just threw for 4,000 yards and had a 22-14 td/int ratio with no O-line, run game, or wide receivers.

Is that good? I mean the guy is getting old. Mallett is a guy you can build around. There has also been talk of Cleveland as the Lombardi one of the Pats former execs is there now and likes Mallett a lot.

Every team passed on him for the first two rounds, what has he done since to show he is now worth a higher pick? Not completely screw up? Whoever takes him will be disappointed.

Sincerely,

A disgruntled Michigan fan

He was considered a QB that was a diamond in the rough. Not ready to be a starter as a rookie. The fact that he went to the Pats to learn under Brady and Belichick certainly helps his stock value but in the end you are right. No one really knows. I would be surprised if they got higher than a 3. I am thinking a 4.

Al Davis is dead...and the raiders new GM is Reggie Mckenzie comes from Green Bay so I wouldn't expect anymore sucker deals

Pats will pick up a first along with next week's lottery numbers in exchange for Mallet. If anyone can beat the system, it's them.

Did Dr.  Faustus [a work of famous literature] strike a deal with Lucifer again? Bill Belichick cannot be denied. So it is written...So it shall be done...The Grey Hoodie is very powerful indeed. Just Kidding!!!

doctor-faustus-24504-300.jpg

198813.jpg

I doubt they'd deal him for a 4th... he cost a 3rd and at this point they've invested two years in his development. That should increase his value, not decrease it.

Perhaps if they move him it'll involve moving up on the draft board. As in, the Patriots' 1st rounder plus Mallett to jump 10 spots or something. It looks like both former backups (Cassel and Brian Hoyer) will be looking for work soon.

I doubt they'd deal him for a 4th... he cost a 3rd and at this point they've invested two years in his development. That should increase his value, not decrease it.

Perhaps if they move him it'll involve moving up on the draft board. As in, the Patriots' 1st rounder plus Mallett to jump 10 spots or something. It looks like both former backups (Cassel and Brian Hoyer) will be looking for work soon.

Usually teams with picks in the mid-teens don't need QBs. That would require a top ten pick and with the new rookie wage scale would cost way more than the 29th pick and a mediocre unproven QB with character issues.

Usually teams with picks in the mid-teens don't need QBs. That would require a top ten pick and with the new rookie wage scale would cost way more than the 29th pick and a mediocre unproven QB with character issues.

Jumping 10 spots wouldn't put the Patriots in the mid-teens. They're picking 29th, so I'm just talking about getting into the low 20s.

Mallett's got a year left on his rookie deal so a team doesn't have to pay him just yet and can let him play out the year if they wanted to.

I hear you on your points but don't know if the complete lack of quality QBs in this draft will alter teams' decision-making. Then you look at the (long, long) list of teams that need QBs. Over-paying for backups with limited game experience is not a new thing in the NFL (Kolb, Flynn, heck even Schaub). Granted all those guys had more time in than Mallett does, but I'm not talking about getting a high pick for him.

There's little question about Mallett's physical talents... I think two stable years learning under Brady and Belichick, during which Mallett showed none of the immaturity that had everyone so concerned, makes him a more valuable asset now than when he was drafted, by far.

I agree they would not be happy with a 4th. I believe he was around the 8th-9th pick in the 3rd round. That's why I said I was dying to see what they would get for compensation. Interesting scenario. Anything outside of the second round would probably rate as "failed draft pick ' in 2011. If there are mulipe teams that want him , the Pats should easily get something in the middle of round two. If there's not big interest , they might have to settle for late 3rd or at worst early 4th. Problem is they will never have leverage unless there are multiple teams interested. Otherwise they have to make a team belive they will use a franchise tag on him when his contract is up. 

Schaub got a couple of seconds and he was a third round pick. Granted Schaub had a handful of starts, and an impressive game against New England. He also came out of one of the most rich QB classes ever which is why he was only a third to begin with. I think Mallet could generate a second, but he also has a lot less experience than Schaub did and came out of a (so far) very weak draft class for QBs.

Peter King said the team hot on Mallett is Arizona. Arians wants a guy that can get the ball down the field like he had with Big Ben and Luck. Mallett fits this. He also compared him to Bledsoe, eesh. But at any rate, like I said it only takes one desperate team. I would love a 2 but realistically probably a conditional 3 with a chance to move to a 2 if Mallett starts all 16 games and reaches certain numbers.

Peter King said the team hot on Mallett is Arizona. Arians wants a guy that can get the ball down the field like he had with Big Ben and Luck. Mallett fits this. He also compared him to Bledsoe, eesh. But at any rate, like I said it only takes one desperate team. I would love a 2 but realistically probably a conditional 3 with a chance to move to a 2 if Mallett starts all 16 games and reaches certain numbers.

Funny, I just read Arizona was the front runner to get Alex Smith.

They get a second then whoever trades for him ain't very smart and just because he played under Brady nd bill doesn't mean he's good cause matt cassel was great (joke) so u can't say that he ain't even played muc u must be on something thinking of a second thats what I think nyway

No team is going to give up a 2 for a player who's only thrown 5 passes.

Yes they will... Mallet was considered a 1st or 2nd round talent coming into the draft that year but it was concerns with his character that made him drop to the 3rd round.  That means MINIMUM hes worth a 3rd rounder where he was drafted, but the fact that the Patriots have spent 2 years investing into him under BB and Brady means that his value is even greater now than it was in the draft.

They could easily swing a 2nd rounder for him, or trade him for another player...  Bare minimum he is worth a 3rd rounder.

Yes they will... Mallet was considered a 1st or 2nd round talent coming into the draft that year but it was concerns with his character that made him drop to the 3rd round.  That means MINIMUM hes worth a 3rd rounder where he was drafted, but the fact that the Patriots have spent 2 years investing into him under BB and Brady means that his value is even greater now than it was in the draft.

They could easily swing a 2nd rounder for him, or trade him for another player...  Bare minimum he is worth a 3rd rounder.

No team that needs a QB is going to basically give up what is essentially a high 1st round pick with holes on their roster. 

Teams that need QBs: Arizona, Bills, Jets.

Those teams have more holes than just QB and no way they give up the 33th, 38th, and 39th picks in the draft for a below average QB when they already have those on their rosters. If they wanted a new QB they could take Smith or Barkley in the first round.

How can you say that Mallet is a below average QB?  He was highly touted for his talents coming out of college.. It was just character concerns that made him drop in the draft, not his talent...

A team wouldn't necessarily have to give up a draft pick, they could trade a player for him too. 

How can you say that Mallet is a below average QB?  He was highly touted for his talents coming out of college.. It was just character concerns that made him drop in the draft, not his talent...

A team wouldn't necessarily have to give up a draft pick, they could trade a player for him too. 

Because he's inaccurate, a statue in the pocket, and terribly slow at going through his reads. The only thing he has going for him is size and arm strength. 

He doesn't even have good pre-season tape.

Because he's inaccurate, a statue in the pocket, and terribly slow at going through his reads. The only thing he has going for him is size and arm strength. 

He doesn't even have good pre-season tape.

He didn't look like any of those things in the preseason this year.

Jerod - I though he dropped because he was a diamond in the rough. What were his character issues?

He didn't look like any of those things in the preseason this year.

Jerod - I though he dropped because he was a diamond in the rough. What were his character issues?

What? He most definetely did.

8/19 89 yards 1 int

10/20 105 yards 1 TD

7/13 66 yards 2 TD

8/15 40 yards

He was inacurate ain every game and basically stared down the #1 receiver every play.