Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Some Patriot "Speculation"

dw49

Latest Headlines

6470.jpg

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported Monday that the Patriots are expected to "entertain offers" for Ryan Mallett on the heels of Tom Brady's contract extension.

The Pats have Brady (cheaply) locked in for the next five seasons, and Mallett's rookie deal runs out in 2015. "I think it means he's gonna be traded," Rapoport said of Mallett. The Browns seem likely to at least explore the possibility of a trade, and might be the team Bill Belichick calls first. We suspect Mallett would be available for a second-rounder. Cleveland does not have a second-rounder in April's draft, but could either put together a package of 2013 picks or offer a second-round selection from a future draft.

Feb 25 - 6:22 P

If true , I'm dying to see what he brings. They used an early 3rd I think. He appears to have been a good choice , so what do they get as a "reward" for making a "value" pick at the QB possition ?

IMO ...  IF Mallott was "ready"...    I truly believe NE would be looking to get rid of Brady.   

Isn't that the NE way?  

What? He most definetely did.

8/19 89 yards 1 int

10/20 105 yards 1 TD

7/13 66 yards 2 TD

8/15 40 yards

He was inacurate ain every game and basically stared down the #1 receiver every play.

Those numbers are not horrible by any stretch. I actually watched him play and did not see a statue or a guy that looked lost or unable to make reads. It's not like he gets a ton of reps with Brady. I also think that you have to factor in the fact that he went in the third round because his draft class was pretty deep. Most draft guys have said that he would be one of the top picks this year if he was coming out. So you combine that with him being the Pats for two years and you have most likely a 3 or a 2. Again, I think it is a conditional 3 that can become a 2 based on his numbers and starts. It just takes one team. Pats won't go lower than what they drafted him at.

There is also talk that if the Pats do trade him they will bring Cassell back as Brady's back up. Won't that be fun? :-)

Those numbers are not horrible by any stretch. I actually watched him play and did not see a statue or a guy that looked lost or unable to make reads. It's not like he gets a ton of reps with Brady. I also think that you have to factor in the fact that he went in the third round because his draft class was pretty deep. Most draft guys have said that he would be one of the top picks this year if he was coming out. So you combine that with him being the Pats for two years and you have most likely a 3 or a 2. Again, I think it is a conditional 3 that can become a 2 based on his numbers and starts. It just takes one team. Pats won't go lower than what they drafted him at.

There is also talk that if the Pats do trade him they will bring Cassell back as Brady's back up. Won't that be fun? :-)

Again you're mssing my point. 3 teams need a QB. The Cardinals, Jets, and Bills. As a matter of fact scratch the Jets and Bills off of that list because they won't trade within the division. So the only possible suiter is the Cardinals. 

Mallett wouldn't survive in Arians's system for a half a season because he's immobile, and slow at his reads. On top of that fact the Cardinals like Barkley and Drew Stanton should remove them from that list as well. 

Who do you trade with? The Jags? They're commited to Gabbert. The Raiders? Palmer just came off of a good season and Terrell Pryor played pretty good down the stretch.

Those numbers are not horrible by any stretch. I actually watched him play and did not see a statue or a guy that looked lost or unable to make reads. It's not like he gets a ton of reps with Brady. I also think that you have to factor in the fact that he went in the third round because his draft class was pretty deep. Most draft guys have said that he would be one of the top picks this year if he was coming out. So you combine that with him being the Pats for two years and you have most likely a 3 or a 2. Again, I think it is a conditional 3 that can become a 2 based on his numbers and starts. It just takes one team. Pats won't go lower than what they drafted him at.

You have a thing for back-up quarterbacks huh?

"He was groomed behind a HOF QB for two years so he must be good."

ZHQidyF.jpg

Post of the day honors goes to my friend Dustin. Hilarious & right on the money to boot IMO. You should win free tickets to a Colts game at LOS for that stroke of genius on your part.  :thmup: Fantastic Man! 

IMO ...  IF Mallott was "ready"...    I truly believe NE would be looking to get rid of Brady.   

Isn't that the NE way?  

You make a very compelling argument John. Typically, NE doesn't get too attached or sentimental with their players at any position even QB. Is Mallott really this bad or just possesses a level of football I.Q. that Belichick finds disturbing & insufficient? Is the Pats front office thinking they will have no takers out there, generate trade rumors, & then once he comes back to NE force him to restructure his contract for more salary cap space? NE is very smart, savvy, & shrewd that way. Gutsy, brash, bold, & effective. I admire that. 

Isn't that the NE way?  

I'd be curious to see how many reps OC Josh McDaniels gives Mallott in training camp actually. McDaniels knows how essential backup reps in the huddle are. He's not stupid. To all my NE friends on this site, what's your overall assessment of his talent level is he Matt Cassel 2.0 or the heir apparent to Tom Brady? Please share your thoughts & let me know. Thank you.

Again you're mssing my point. 3 teams need a QB. The Cardinals, Jets, and Bills. As a matter of fact scratch the Jets and Bills off of that list because they won't trade within the division. So the only possible suiter is the Cardinals.

Mallett wouldn't survive in Arians's system for a half a season because he's immobile, and slow at his reads. On top of that fact the Cardinals like Barkley and Drew Stanton should remove them from that list as well.

Who do you trade with? The Jags? They're commited to Gabbert. The Raiders? Palmer just came off of a good season and Terrell Pryor played pretty good down the stretch.

Yeah, Ryan's immobility does pose a significant problem I agree. I just don't understand why there is little to no Matt Flynn trade speculation. Listen, all you hear are crickets chirping...Is Seattle committed to him as a backup refusing to part with him without a bet the ranch money deal? I don't know. I'm just asking...I guess a lot depends on who lands QB Alex Smith first. Then maybe, the Flynn trade sweepstakes will heat up perhaps. Just pure speculation on my part. I realize that.

You are forgetting Cleveland that has expressed strong interest. Michael Lombardi is there, long time friend of Belichick from his days when he was in NE. Peter King also said Arians is very interested because he wants a deep ball thrower and Mallett's skillset fits his offensive scheme. I mean how hard is it to throw it to Larry Fitzgerald. LOL.

Like I said, it just takes one team. I do not pretend to know all the in's and out's of every team's situation at QB and how they feel about the incumbant starter vs. taking a QB in the draft or FA or trading. The fact is the one position that is alwasys in great demand is QB. NE is sitting on a guy that most felt was a better talent than his third round draft position. The fact that he has been behind Brady and Belichick for 2 years is only a plus. I don't think it is as far fetched as you seem to want to believe that the Pats will at least get a 3 for him which is where they drafted him at. They would be foolish to go lower. I actually would rather see them keep him as I don't want some washed up veteran behind Brady the next 5 years but given the weak QB draft class, it may make sense to strike now if the deal is there.

I'd be curious to see how many reps OC Josh McDaniels gives Mallott in training camp actually. McDaniels knows how essential backup reps in the huddle are. He's not stupid. To all my NE friends on this site, what's your overall assessment of his talent level is he Matt Cassel 2.0 or the heir apparent to Tom Brady? Please share your thoughts & let me know. Thank you.

Mallett seems solid from the little we have seen. He is big, has a huge arm, stands tall in the pocket. The word from inside NE is that he has progressed a lot the past year and teams have expressed interest in him prior to the Brady deal. Now with Brady locked up, they appear as though they are entertaining offers but who knows for sure, tough to get anything out of Foxboro.

No one thought much of Cassell. I mean the guy never played a down in college. He surprised everyone when he stepped in 2008 and did as well as he did. Granted it was an undefeated team but still he was impressive.

This is all you need to know about the QB draft class. In addition to Smith, a guy like Mallett's value just went up to.

The draft class of quarterbacks has enhanced the value of veterans. The winner of Sunday's throwing session of draftable quarterbacks was the San Francisco 49ers, who saw Alex Smith's trade value increase. No one dazzled. While Geno Smith of West Virginia might have done the best among the QBs, teams left Lucas Oil Stadium with more questions than answers. Geno Smith, Mike Glennon and maybe Matt Barkley or Tyler Wilson could go in the first round, but the safer bet might be trading a draft choice for Alex Smith or for Seattle Seahawks backup Matt Flynn. The Kansas City Chiefs are expected to be the first team to make the move and very well might be the team to trade for Smith. The Arizona Cardinals may not be as lucky if San Francisco and Seattle don't want to trade within the NFC West. The Jacksonville Jaguars, New York Jets and Cleveland Browns still haven't shown whether they are in or out on bidding for veteran quarterbacks. As much as the 49ers say they won't cut Smith, it's still hard to think they would guarantee his $7.5 million salary when they are up against the cap. Expect a Smith trade reasonably soon.

This is all you need to know about the QB draft class. In addition to Smith, a guy like Mallett's value just went up to.

The draft class of quarterbacks has enhanced the value of veterans. The winner of Sunday's throwing session of draftable quarterbacks was the San Francisco 49ers, who saw Alex Smith's trade value increase. No one dazzled. While Geno Smith of West Virginia might have done the best among the QBs, teams left Lucas Oil Stadium with more questions than answers. Geno Smith, Mike Glennon and maybe Matt Barkley or Tyler Wilson could go in the first round, but the safer bet might be trading a draft choice for Alex Smith or for Seattle Seahawks backup Matt Flynn. The Kansas City Chiefs are expected to be the first team to make the move and very well might be the team to trade for Smith. The Arizona Cardinals may not be as lucky if San Francisco and Seattle don't want to trade within the NFC West. The Jacksonville Jaguars, New York Jets and Cleveland Browns still haven't shown whether they are in or out on bidding for veteran quarterbacks. As much as the 49ers say they won't cut Smith, it's still hard to think they would guarantee his $7.5 million salary when they are up against the cap. Expect a Smith trade reasonably soon.

When you copy and paste from another site, you need to provide a link to your source.

Thanks.