Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It wouldn't surprise me if...

Indeee

I think if you're expecting Buffalo to let Levitre walk out the door for nothing,  you're going to be very disappointed.

There is still time for them to apply a tag if need be.   But, they may want to save that for Jarius Byrd.

But even if that's the case,  they'll do everything they can to retain him....

I think if you're expecting Buffalo to let Levitre walk out the door for nothing,  you're going to be very disappointed.

There is still time for them to apply a tag if need be.   But, they may want to save that for Jarius Byrd.

But even if that's the case,  they'll do everything they can to retain him....

I would be shocked if they didn't tag Byrd. He might be the best player on their team and the tag for safeties is cheap.

If we are drafting olinemen it will be to groom them not for them to come in and play. Like the sound of that. Have seen lots of top linemen picked to only be outdone by later round guys.

Yeah, I'd rather have guys who are veterans protecting the franchise, while the rookies learn the craft during practice or when Andrew is wearing the red shirt.

The only Rookie Lineman I see coming outta this Draft & Starting is Chance Warmack. Everyone else will probably sit. But then again, the Team you get Drafted by also impacts your Starting Chances

If Luke Joeckel, Eric Fisher, Lane Johnson and Jonathan Cooper don't start day one I will eat my hat. And there will be plenty more on top of that.

Blocking schemes isn't that big of a deal when it comes to offensive lineman. Still have to get a hat on a hat in the run game to be successful

More to it then that, if your O Linemen gets a hat on a hat in a Man Blocking scheme then he best be able to maul his opposition off the LOS if not then ya just picked up Seth Olsen 2.0

I think we are going to go after a lineman or two in free agency.  I think we are still waiting to see who exactly will be on the market in terms of lineman.  A couple of guys like Levitre or Vollmer are going to impact who the top linemen are in this free agency class.  If the Bills and Pats figure out a way to keep both (even with the franchise tag which has been rumored for Vollmer) then the next guys behind them have their value go up.  If they are out there I think Grigson will look into both but I also think Grigson would be happy to sign a cheaper guy if he thinks the talent gap between the other guy and Levirte or Vollmer is less than the money gap. 

More to it then that, if your O Linemen gets a hat on a hat in a Man Blocking scheme then he best be able to maul his opposition off the LOS if not then ya just picked up Seth Olsen 2.0

You don't have to maul him,provide the initial punch get between the defender and the ball and at least hold your ground don't get drove back, and And let the running back work. Mauling him just separates good OL from great ones.

Seth Olsen failed to get between his man and the ball and his leverage on run play was terrible and as a result got drove constantly. Anthony Castonzo isn't a Mauler but he gets between his man and the ball and holds his ground, running back cuts off his block on the edge, mission complete

You don't have to maul him,provide the initial punch get between the defender and the ball and at least hold your ground don't get drove back, and And let the running back work. Mauling him just separates good OL from great ones.

Seth Olsen failed to get between his man and the ball and his leverage on run play was terrible and as a result got drove constantly. Anthony Castonzo isn't a Mauler but he gets between his man and the ball and holds his ground, running back cuts off his block on the edge, mission complete

Yep I know but you have to be able to have that initial punch and not all O Linemen have that power to jolt a D Linemen to where he can begin to use the leverage created from that jolt, As for Seth Olsen he failed to do alot of things last year and getting between his man and the ball was just one, I still have that image of him vs the Bears pulling out to clear the LE Idonije out of the way but Olsen just looked way way way off balance as he was pulling out and running at him and it showed upon the collision, Olsen got blasted leaving Brown nowhere to run

Yep I know but you have to be able to have that initial punch and not all O Linemen have that power to jolt a D Linemen to where he can begin to use the leverage created from that jolt, As for Seth Olsen he failed to do alot of things last year and getting between his man and the ball was just one, I still have that image of him vs the Bears pulling out to clear the LE Idonije out of the way but Olsen just looked way way way off balance as he was pulling out and running at him and it showed upon the collision, Olsen got blasted leaving Brown nowhere to run

Funny, I have that same image

So, how long have you not known what you were talking about?

I guess since I stopped playing college football since my sophomore year at Texas State University playing back up RT and special teams in college. So yea I guess I never knew what I was talking about.

Blocking schemes isn't that big of a deal when it comes to offensive lineman. Still have to get a hat on a hat in the run game to be successful. Leverage, helmet placement, and feetwork and an OL will be successful in either scheme

I agree with you mostly. I think certain players play better in certain schemes but for the most part I think that a good offensive linemen can adapt to the scheme. Some people are concerned that Levitre is a smaller guard who has played in a zone scheme and may not be as successful outside of that scheme. I don't buy that.

I agree. The difference between a lineman being able to handle man blocking schemes versus zone blocking schemes is important and can affect an offense significantly. Your assertion to the contrary was incorrect.

I agree with this and is why it won't surprise me that Grigson won't even consider Levitre. Can he handle an every down man blocking scheme? Who knows? Grigson better know if he paid Levitre the kind of money he'll get because he won't bring in a high priced player just hoping he can handle a man scheme.

In a perfect world O-lineman would be able to play in both schemes but this is not Fantasyland where everything is rainbows and gum drops. Smaller athletic lineman are typically not good man blockers and big heavy lineman are typically not good zone blockers. Thats why there are 2 different schemes to begin with.

If every lineman could excel in either scheme, then there would be no reason to have 2 different scheme's to begin with. I personally don't want Levitre because I do not think he would be nearly as effective in man blocking as he is zone. He is the perfect zone lineman, but lacks the strength to play a man scheme IMO.

I agree with this and is why it won't surprise me that Grigson won't even consider Levitre. Can he handle an every down man blocking scheme? Who knows? Grigson better know if he paid Levitre the kind of money he'll get because he won't bring in a high priced player just hoping he can handle a man scheme.

In a perfect world O-lineman would be able to play in both schemes but this is not Fantasyland where everything is rainbows and gum drops. Smaller athletic lineman are typically not good man blockers and big heavy lineman are typically not good zone blockers. Thats why there are 2 different schemes to begin with.

If every lineman could excel in either scheme, then there would be no reason to have 2 different scheme's to begin with. I personally don't want Levitre because I do not think he would be nearly as effective in man blocking as he is zone. He is the perfect zone lineman, but lacks the strength to play a man scheme IMO.

He played the man blocking scheme well at Oregon State. Mike Cavanaugh as OL coach ran a variety of blocking schemes at Oregon State