Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Drew Stanton to the Cards?

Rebelknight

It makes sense to me that we could trade Stanton to AZ for a low round draft pick or a decent Offensive linemen. Stanton is most likey better to do better than any of AZ's current QB's.

He know the Arians offense. He didnt look to bad when he played in preseason. It would give AZ the abilty to draft a QB in the latter rounds and not reach in the first..

We still have Chandler Harnish who could serve as a back up..

Thoughts?

It makes sense to me that we could trade Stanton to AZ for a low round draft pick or a decent Offensive linemen. Stanton is most likey better to do better than any of AZ's current QB's.

He know the Arians offense. He didnt look to bad when he played in preseason. It would give AZ the abilty to draft a QB in the latter rounds and not reach in the first..

We still have Chandler Harnish who could serve as a back up..

Thoughts?

Was my first thought as well. It makes perfect sense.

I think the cards will keep their younger guys as back ups they are really that level of QB. They just aren't starters like they have been forced into being. As for Kolb I think they are kinda stuck with his contract unless they want to eat the money that would come with releasing him. I will confess I am no expert on Kevin Kolbs contact so I could be wrong.

We won't get anything for him, he is a FA

This. Stanton's contract is up, and he's a free agent. I'm pretty sure we'll be handing the #2 spot over to Harnish this season, although we'll probably bring in a couple guys to challenge him in camp. I just doubt Stanton is one of those guys.

If he went to the Cardinals and became the starter, he might score us a compensatory pick in 2014.

I think the cards will keep their younger guys as back ups they are really that level of QB. They just aren't starters like they have been forced into being. As for Kolb I think they are kinda stuck with his contract unless they want to eat the money that would come with releasing him. I will confess I am no expert on Kevin Kolbs contact so I could be wrong.

It's hideous...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/kevin-kolb/

Stanton is a UFA, so if Arians wants him, they can just sign him.  The mony they have invested in Kolb I think will make it hard to move him, cap mysery to cut him, so Kolb will be their QB I think.

Kolb's cap hit in 2013 is shooting up to $14.9m ($2m prorated bonus, $3.9m roster+ bonus, $9m base salary). Releasing him would result in a $6m cap penalty (that penalty could be split between the 2013 and 2014 cap). By the time they pay another quarterback, they're probably back up to the $10-12m range in cap hits for quarterbacks. I don't think releasing him is the best option.

That said, they're up against the cap in 2013, as things currently stand. They have to do something. I think they'll be renegotiating Kolb's base salary, at the very least, to lower his cap hit. I'd reduce the base salary to $3m, convert another $3m to signing bonus, get rid of the roster bonus, and now his cap hit is $6m in 2013.

They can also restructure Dockett and Campbell to free up about $10m. Maybe a couple other players as well.

could by that's why they wanted Arians for his history of working with QBs and are going to look at him and go can fix the lemon that we bought know as Kevin Kolb?

I would agree.  They have an awful lot invested in Kolb, Fitz.  Of course they just tried that same formula with Whisenhunt, who was Big Ben's OC when he was a rookie, so we've seen this movie before.  Maybe the ending changes this time. 

Kolb's cap hit in 2013 is shooting up to $14.9m ($2m prorated bonus, $3.9m roster+ bonus, $9m base salary). Releasing him would result in a $6m cap penalty (that penalty could be split between the 2013 and 2014 cap). By the time they pay another quarterback, they're probably back up to the $10-12m range in cap hits for quarterbacks. I don't think releasing him is the best option.

That said, they're up against the cap in 2013, as things currently stand. They have to do something. I think they'll be renegotiating Kolb's base salary, at the very least, to lower his cap hit. I'd reduce the base salary to $3m, convert another $3m to signing bonus, get rid of the roster bonus, and now his cap hit is $6m in 2013.

They can also restructure Dockett and Campbell to free up about $10m. Maybe a couple other players as well.

I agree they will have to get creative - and to sit with the 49ers, Seahawks, and a much improved Rams team too...   And this doesn't get into what, if any impact not picking Horton will have on the members of the D, their strength.  It might be a long bumpy ride for Arians. 

Night and day, pretty much. He's shown far more ability to be a starter than Kolb in far less time.

I don't know. He's got promise, that's for sure, but so did Kolb. To me, it's the same situation. His production to this point has been a product of his environment. I'm not sure Matt Flynn is any better than Kolb is.

And if you consider the money situation, releasing Kolb and acquiring Flynn doesn't save you very much, if anything. You also have to give up something in a trade in order to get Flynn. I don't think that's a good move, personally.

I don't know. He's got promise, that's for sure, but so did Kolb. To me, it's the same situation. His production to this point has been a product of his environment. I'm not sure Matt Flynn is any better than Kolb is.

And if you consider the money situation, releasing Kolb and acquiring Flynn doesn't save you very much, if anything. You also have to give up something in a trade in order to get Flynn. I don't think that's a good move, personally.

Sure, it may be taking from the left hand to put in the right hand, but I don't think anyone believes that Kolb or anyone else there already is the answer, so making a move is better than not for them at this point. Flynn is really the only guy available with starting potential, unless they wanna take a risk on Alex Smith.

Sure, it may be taking from the left hand to put in the right hand, but I don't think anyone believes that Kolb or anyone else there already is the answer, so making a move is better than not for them at this point. Flynn is really the only guy available with starting potential, unless they wanna take a risk on Alex Smith.

I share your thoughts of Flynn too. I think he has good potential and is better than anything the Cards have on their roster. I don't think he was really outplayed by Wilson in Seattle either. I just think that Wilson brought a different element to their offense with his scrambling ability so they decided to go with him.

Why is Flynn less of a risk than Smith?  Flynn's resume consists of what, one game?  Smith has shown he's a proven starter.  Maybe not an elite QB, I agree, but Flynn couldn't even beat out a rookie.

As for Stanton, I'm sure the guy wants to start somewhere.  I imagine he'll want to go someplace where he can compete for the job.  But I'm not sure he's starting material, even on the Cardinals.  Just MHO.

Why is Flynn less of a risk than Smith?  Flynn's resume consists of what, one game?  Smith has shown he's a proven starter.  Maybe not an elite QB, I agree, but Flynn couldn't even beat out a rookie.

As for Stanton, I'm sure the guy wants to start somewhere.  I imagine he'll want to go someplace where he can compete for the job.  But I'm not sure he's starting material, even on the Cardinals.  Just MHO.

I would probably go for Smith over Flynn, but I do think Flynn is pretty good and has good potential. Like I said in another post in this thread, I think people say Flynn couldn't beat out Wilson, but IMO that wasn't it. Wilson just had an extra element to his game that Flynn does not, and that is scrambling ability. Flynn looked good in the Seahawks preseason and even Carrol said Flynn didn't do anything to lose the starting job. Wilson is just a little more dynamic with his running skills.

I wouldn't give up significant resources to get Matt Flynn if I already had Kevin Kolb. You're putting your eggs in that basket, and I don't think Flynn is substantially better than Kolb. I'd have to be sold on Flynn, and I'm not. I think they'd be better off rolling with Kolb, sink or swim, and then going for a major upgrade in 2014, either through the draft or trade. I just don't think Flynn is a major upgrade.

I would probably go for Smith over Flynn, but I do think Flynn is pretty good and has good potential. Like I said in another post in this thread, I think people say Flynn couldn't beat out Wilson, but IMO that wasn't it. Wilson just had an extra element to his game that Flynn does not, and that is scrambling ability. Flynn looked good in the Seahawks preseason and even Carrol said Flynn didn't do anything to lose the starting job. Wilson is just a little more dynamic with his running skills.

I agree with that. Also, it's not exactly a bad thing that he couldn't beat out Wilson, given how good Wilson turned out to be this season.

And Flynn has more than one game under his belt. He has two starts, and several appearances from 2010 to 2011. He's got promise as a quarterback. I just find it difficult to separate his current situation from Kevin Kolb's situation two years ago.

I agree with that. Also, it's not exactly a bad thing that he couldn't beat out Wilson, given how good Wilson turned out to be this season.

And Flynn has more than one game under his belt. He has two starts, and several appearances from 2010 to 2011. He's got promise as a quarterback. I just find it difficult to separate his current situation from Kevin Kolb's situation two years ago.

Thats probably true about the Kolb situation. And to be fair, I still think Kolb has some promise to him. Much of his problems in Arizona wasn't all his fault. He also had to deal with a terrible O-line and had the injury bug. If they can get their O-line straightened out and he can get healthy, he may be able to get the job done there.

I'll take a 4th. The more picks the better

Beyond the fact that the Colts can't trade Stanton because he's a Free Agent,  so we won't be getting a 4th, there is this.....

Even if Stanton were still under contract, I think people here are forgetting what the Colts gave up to acquire him?   A 7th.   That's it.    So, we couldn't get a 4th in a trade.    He doesn't have that kind of value.    He played zero snaps this year.

That said, I'll disagree with Superman and predict that Stanton is our back-up.    Hope so at least.   And before someone asks why, I'd simply say anyone remember the Indianapolis season from way, way back in the year 2011?    Starting QB goes down, back-ups suck.     How did that year turn out?

Why let history repeat itself?   With Stanton, I think we'd have a better shot to win some games than with Harnish.   

Just my two cents....