Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Drew Stanton to the Cards?

Rebelknight

Beyond the fact that the Colts can't trade Stanton because he's a Free Agent,  so we won't be getting a 4th, there is this.....

Even if Stanton were still under contract, I think people here are forgetting what the Colts gave up to acquire him?   A 7th.   That's it.    So, we couldn't get a 4th in a trade.    He doesn't have that kind of value.    He played zero snaps this year.

That said, I'll disagree with Superman and predict that Stanton is our back-up.    Hope so at least.   And before someone asks why, I'd simply say anyone remember the Indianapolis season from way, way back in the year 2011?    Starting QB goes down, back-ups suck.     How did that year turn out?

Why let history repeat itself?   With Stanton, I think we'd have a better shot to win some games than with Harnish.   

Just my two cents....

I think Harnish played better than Stanton in preseason. Stanton isn't anything special himself, very Orlovsky-ish. I don't believe he's good enough to keep your season from going off the rails if your starter goes down. JMO, of course.

But if Stanton were still under contract, it would make a ton of sense to me to keep him around. He's not, though. And given the hierarchy here, not to mention the fact that Luck is going to start eating up more and more reps in practice and camp, I could see Stanton deciding to go somewhere else where he might have more opportunities to impress and get on the field. His future is very clearly not in Indianapolis, and I'm sure he must see that, unless he's content being the next Jim Sorgi.

So yeah, I'm not trying to push him out the door. But given his free agency and the fact that we don't need him, I doubt he's back next year.

It makes sense to me that we could trade Stanton to AZ for a low round draft pick or a decent Offensive linemen. Stanton is most likey better to do better than any of AZ's current QB's.

He know the Arians offense. He didnt look to bad when he played in preseason. It would give AZ the abilty to draft a QB in the latter rounds and not reach in the first..

We still have Chandler Harnish who could serve as a back up..

Thoughts?

Someone on the offense need to take a leak?  Is my phone ever going to ring?  Would you like to double-size that sir?

I think Harnish played better than Stanton in preseason. Stanton isn't anything special himself, very Orlovsky-ish. I don't believe he's good enough to keep your season from going off the rails if your starter goes down. JMO, of course.

But if Stanton were still under contract, it would make a ton of sense to me to keep him around. He's not, though. And given the hierarchy here, not to mention the fact that Luck is going to start eating up more and more reps in practice and camp, I could see Stanton deciding to go somewhere else where he might have more opportunities to impress and get on the field. His future is very clearly not in Indianapolis, and I'm sure he must see that, unless he's content being the next Jim Sorgi.

So yeah, I'm not trying to push him out the door. But given his free agency and the fact that we don't need him, I doubt he's back next year.

Fair post,  though I still respectfully disagree.

The difference in my view would be with Harnisch I could see us win two games.   With Stanton I could see us win four.   Perhaps that's not enough to make a difference to the front office -- I don't pretend to know.    But, in my mind the only difference between the two is salary.    Harnish would be roughly 500-750k cheaper.   And to me,  if that's the reason,  it's penny-wise and pound foolish. 

I think (and I have no knowledge) that Stanton recognizes his future is as an NFL back-up.   His chances of getting on the field anywhere are slim.   My hope is he loves the team and the city and would like to stay here for another year or so....  I actually heard a phone interview with Andrew on ESPN once, and it surprised me when he spoke highly of Stanton as someone he can turn to on the sidelines for help.   It was unexpected and good to hear.  

My hope is at least one more year for Stanton before Harnisch takes over the back-up job....

Fair post,  though I still respectfully disagree.

The difference in my view would be with Harnisch I could see us win two games.   With Stanton I could see us win four.   Perhaps that's not enough to make a difference to the front office -- I don't pretend to know.    But, in my mind the only difference between the two is salary.    Harnish would be roughly 500-750k cheaper.   And to me,  if that's the reason,  it's penny-wise and pound foolish. 

I think (and I have no knowledge) that Stanton recognizes his future is as an NFL back-up.   His chances of getting on the field anywhere are slim.   My hope is he loves the team and the city and would like to stay here for another year or so....  I actually heard a phone interview with Andrew on ESPN once, and it surprised me when he spoke highly of Stanton as someone he can turn to on the sidelines for help.   It was unexpected and good to hear.  

My hope is at least one more year for Stanton before Harnisch takes over the back-up job....

Yeah, I don't think it would be about the money. That's completely irrelevant.

If Stanton is okay with being the #2 on a team that is never going to bench the starter, and is okay with the fact that he's going to get precious few reps in practice, then all those other things about liking the team and the city might be important, and he might decide that he wants to stay in Indy. I'm fine with that.

I just would assume that he'd like to be in a situation where he might actually be in a competition for some practice time, if not some playing time. Maybe not. If he went to the Cardinals, he might actually play at some point.

I don't have any more faith in him than I do in Harnish, if the worst should happen (find a piece of wood to knock on, by the way). I think we should be focusing on building a team that can weather any potential storm at quarterback, so that we don't have the kind of performance we suffered through in 2011. I think Grigson is firmly focused on that. A team with weapons on offense and a strong offensive line can win games even with subpar quarterback play (Broncos, 2011). Add a good defense, and that team can even go to the conference championship a couple years in a row (Jets, 2009-10).

If we find ourselves only winning two or four games because we lose our starting quarterback (find that wood yet???), that's a failure on the part of the front office and the coaching staff. I felt that way in 2011 as well; we had enough talent to win 5+ games.

Anyways, my opinion is mostly based on the fact that Stanton is a free agent, and I don't think he's any better than Harnish. It could turn out either way.

It makes sense to me that we could trade Stanton to AZ for a low round draft pick or a decent Offensive linemen. Stanton is most likey better to do better than any of AZ's current QB's.

He know the Arians offense. He didnt look to bad when he played in preseason. It would give AZ the abilty to draft a QB in the latter rounds and not reach in the first..

Thoughts?

he cant be traded. he is a FA. now he could sign with arizona but i doubt it. i see AZ drafting a QB either this year or next year, and if they decide to go the vet route then i can see them trading for someone like Flynn or Alex Smith (that is if they are not released anyway)

Whoever the Cards starter is will get killed. Bad OL and with Arians offense, the QB will take lots of hits. Not many like Ben and Luck can take those hits. We know Kolb can't.

Wasn't he hired as HC?  I hadn't heard that he was going to pull double duty with assuming the OC role too.  If he is then I apologize for even replying to this, if not Arains offense won't even be an issue unless they hire an OC that wants to run Arians offense

Wasn't he hired as HC?  I hadn't heard that he was going to pull double duty with assuming the OC role too.  If he is then I apologize for even replying to this, if not Arains offense won't even be an issue unless they hire an OC that wants to run Arians offense

He intimated that it's going to be his system, and that he'd be calling the plays. I don't know how Tom Moore's hiring influences that, but it's still going to be a very Bruce Arians offense.

COLTS 1st RD pick, Stanton...for Arizona's 2nd,4th RD picks and LARRY FITZGERALD. Pray with me...

Someone should tell you, before you start bothering the big guy upstairs, that it's going to take A LOT more than our first round pick and a quarterback who hasn't thrown a pass in two seasons to get one of the two best receivers in the NFL. They'd probably tell us to keep Stanton (we don't even have him under contract, by the way, so we can't trade him without re-signing him for tagging him), and ask for our first, third and fourth rounders this year, and next year's second and fourth rounders. Fitzgerald is probably one of four receivers in the NFL that's worth that kind of haul (Calvin Johnson, AJ Green and Julio Jones are the others), but I would be off the Grigson bandwagon if he made that kind of deal.

He would still hire an OC that would run the same type offense. He said he doesn't like the short passing game. He's not going to hire someone that runs an offense he doesn't like. Kind of like Pagano hiring a DC that runs a 3-4 defense. He wouldn't hire someone running a 4-3.

Someone should tell you, before you start bothering the big guy upstairs, that it's going to take A LOT more than our first round pick and a quarterback who hasn't thrown a pass in two seasons to get one of the two best receivers in the NFL. They'd probably tell us to keep Stanton (we don't even have him under contract, by the way, so we can't trade him without re-signing him for tagging him), and ask for our first, third and fourth rounders this year, and next year's second and fourth rounders. Fitzgerald is probably one of four receivers in the NFL that's worth that kind of haul (Calvin Johnson, AJ Green and Julio Jones are the others), but I would be off the Grigson bandwagon if he made that kind of deal.

You took this seriously...?  Thanks.

Thoughts?

No..Staton isnt better than what they have..and he's our veteran backup.. The QB situation is solid. lets leave it alone

I would take Harnish over Stanton for two reasons.

1) The cap savings

2) Harnish could possible develope into a player with some worth. Stanton was given a chance in Detriot to be a starter and didnt make it. He then was traded for a 7th rounder. So we see his worth.

That said it makes more sense to go with Harnish , uness of coarse the Colts think Stanton is better and always will be better. In that case you stick with Stanton , who in my mind would never resign with the Colts if he had other options.

Why is it that so many fans dramatically overestimate the trade value of players?  Only thing I can think of is playing a little too much Madden.

Yea !!! We finally agree completely on something. Maybe because it's not another silly RG vs Luck thread ?

I think Stanton will leave Indy if he thinks he can start somewhere in 2014. Slim as those chances are he will be looking for a place to land. Why wouldnt he? Every QB loves to play and he knows he wont get to here in Indy if Andrew stays healthy. He saw how tough Andrew is after this bone shaking year Arians just put him through, and knows playing time here is very unlikely.

I would take Harnish over Stanton for two reasons.

1) The cap savings

Based on Stanton's 2012 contract, he'd save us $745k against the cap. In a year where we have $46m in cap space going into free agency, and aren't resigning a quarterback or any big money players already on the roster. It's a difference of 0.6% of the projected cap. I don't think cap savings are going to be a significant part of the discussion.