Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Clyde still the QB coach?

GoodLuck

As of now, Clyde is still on the coaching staff.  I don't anticipate him leaving, so chances are that he will stay as the QB coach

Yeah, but you gotta think he feels a little jaded by not getting the OC job. Not saying he deserved it over Pep or anyone else, but I wouldn't be surprised if he jumped ship now

Yeah, but you gotta think he feels a little jaded by not getting the OC job. Not saying he deserved it over Pep or anyone else, but I wouldn't be surprised if he jumped ship now

Did he really expect to get it? I mean it's been less thana year since he was demoted to QB coach

He better be grateful that he still has a job after everyone else on the staff was canned prior to 2012. And he was essentially demoted.....why would they give it back to him? Not only that.....has he ever expressed the desire to have the position?

Well he had to at least know what play was being called or something right??

Oh yeah I'm sure he had more to do with the offense than people on here are giving him credit for. People have been acting like he's the second coming of Jim Caldwell and all he does is stand on the sideline.

That's true.  I can't help but feel as though they brought it up with him, though.  My gut tells me they brought it up with him and he just said he would prefer to stay as QB coach and develop Luck.  Just my opinion though

no offensive coaching changes yet

but 

how many guys will Arians bring with him to the desert

I'm hoping he snipes guys from Pittsburgh... although I'm not really sure who he brought here with him... probably OLine coach (probably not a big loss considering our Line this year, and Pittsburgh's before that) Clyde was already here, so IDK if he will get very many of our guys.

I wonder who B.A. has on his radar to play QB for the Cards...  we do play them next year... and Manning, Brady, and Russel Wilson... should make for some good t.v. ( should also be good enough to get us some some prime time games as well)

I'm hoping he snipes guys from Pittsburgh... although I'm not really sure who he brought here with him... probably OLine coach (probably not a big loss considering our Line this year, and Pittsburgh's before that) Clyde was already here, so IDK if he will get very many of our guys.

I wonder who B.A. has on his radar to play QB for the Cards...  we do play them next year... and Manning, Brady, and Russel Wilson... should make for some good t.v. ( should also be good enough to get us some some prime time games as well)

We play the Dolphins not the Patriots. Only the second time since 1970 not playing the Pats.

Till it's announced that he isn't I would see no reason that he's not. 

If Hamilton has someone in mind, and maybe Clyde wants to go fill the QB coach vacancy in Denver. I think a coordinator has the freedom to request changes for certain position coaches.

If Hamilton has someone in mind, and maybe Clyde wants to go fill the QB coach vacancy in Denver. I think a coordinator has the freedom to request changes for certain position coaches.

Sure he does and that wasn't what I was saying at all.  I was answering the question of is Clyde still the QB Coach.  Till he either takes another job or the Colts put out a release saying he is being let go there is nothing to say he isn't.  Could a change happen?  Sure. 

Sure he does and that wasn't what I was saying at all.  I was answering the question of is Clyde still the QB Coach.  Till he either takes another job or the Colts put out a release saying he is being let go there is nothing to say he isn't.  Could a change happen?  Sure. 

Ah. I thought you were saying you don't see any reason why a change would be made.

Well...   in an interview yesterday, Grigson said he didn't anticipate losing any more coaches to other teams.... 

Then, Arians went and took our OL coach (Goodwin) with him to Arizona.    Talk about blindsided!?

Anyway...  if CC wants to stay, I'd expect him to remain here for at least one more year.   I wouldn't expect Hamilton to come in and start making changes.    If Pep works out, and wants to make changes next off season,  then that would be the time...

Just my hunch.....

Well...   in an interview yesterday, Grigson said he didn't anticipate losing any more coaches to other teams.... 

Then, Arians went and took our OL coach with him to Arizona.    Talk about blindsided!?

Anyway...  if CC wants to stay, I'd expect him to remain here for at least one more year.   I wouldn't expect Hamilton to come in and start making changes.    If Pep works out, and wants to make changes next off season,  then that would be the time...

Just my hunch.....

What Grigson said is that he has to let guys out of their contracts for promotions, but he doesn't intend to let guys leave under any other circumstances. He can only block lateral moves. Goodwin left to Arizona to be the coordinator, so that's a promotion. If Christensen were to leave to be Denver's coordinator that would be a promotion. 

What Grigson said is that he has to let guys out of their contracts for promotions, but he doesn't intend to let guys leave under any other circumstances. He can only block lateral moves. Goodwin left to Arizona to be the coordinator, so that's a promotion. If Christensen were to leave to be Denver's coordinator that would be a promotion. 

I know....  I saw the story.

But he also said he didn't expect any more changes with his staff.     I don't think he expected Arians to take Goodwin and promote him to OC.     Sorry to see the guy go....   I trust Grigson to find a quality OL replacement.

I know....  I saw the story.

But he also said he didn't expect any more changes with his staff.     I don't think he expected Arians to take Goodwin and promote him to OC.     Sorry to see the guy go....   I trust Grigson to find a quality OL replacement.

Goodwin has done nothing since he's been in the league. He and Arians have been getting QB's bells rung for the last 6 years. Good riddance

no offensive coaching changes yet

but 

how many guys will Arians bring with him to the desert

If they are lateral moves, none (if they are under contract).  That is if Grigson keeps to his word.  If an assistant coach wants to leave to be a HC, Grigson_must_allow it.  He honored that rule with BA.  But AFAIK, the NFL doesn't distinguish assistant coaches titles. So any assistant coach here (under contract) can be blocked from being hired to be an assistant coach elsewhere, no matter what title they had before and would have after.  Now, if the asst coach being blocked will be sour grapes ineffective because of it, they may allow it anyway- but I don't know how often that occurs (though I am confident it does).

**EDIT** Found it, what is above is correct. See pages 7-9 on link below:

http://www.dawgtalkers.net/uploads/2009%20NFL%20Anti-Tampering%20Policy.pdf

If they are lateral moves, none (if they are under contract).  That is if Grigson keeps to his word.  If an assistant coach wants to leave to be a HC, Grigson_must_allow it.  He honored that rule with BA.  But AFAIK, the NFL doesn't distinguish assistant coaches titles. So any assistant coach here (under contract) can be blocked from being hired to be an assistant coach elsewhere, no matter what title they had before and would have after.  Now, if the asst coach being blocked will be sour grapes ineffective because of it, they may allow it anyway- but I don't know how often that occurs (though I am confident it does).

Arians "promoted" Harold Goodwin to OC sans playcalling duties

He can request, but not the other team. Nor does Grigson have to honor it - If the assistant coach in under contract and it is not a promotion to be another teams Head Coach.

Arians "promoted" Harold Goodwin to OC sans playcalling duties

If Goodwin was still under contract, Grigson had every right to block that move, but he chose not to (for whatever reason).  Assistant coach of jock strap management of team A being promoted to Offensive (smell) Coordinator  for team B is a lateral move in the eyes of the NFL.   :)

Yeah, this is true. I keep forgetting about this.

I think it's pretty much an unwritten rule that if a guy has a chance to get a higher job than what he has on your staff at the moment you let them interview for the job.  If not you are going to come across to that guy as kinda being a jerk who is holding that guy back on his career.

Also 99.9% of GMs were in these coaches shoes at point in terms of the team who is employing them now having to get permission from another team to talk to them about their current job. 

I am sure there are some examples of where a team has blocked someone from going for a higher job so I can't say it's never happened but mostly I've only ever seen permission not granted in a case where a team wants to interview someone for the same job they have now just with a new team.