Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Lucks' arms/upperbody too large?

ADayWithoutRain

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No.    I don't think you have to worry about his arm or upper body being a problem.   He's not that big.

The only criticism I've ever read/heard about Luck's mechanics is that he lifts his back foot (right) as he throws and that reduces the amount of drive he can get on his passes.    Costs him some rpm's off his fast ball...

Otherwise, his mechanics are viewed as almost text book.  

Most observers seem to think his accuracy problems come from (A) being under way too much pressure, and (B) we throw farther downfield than most every other team...   between those two,  your accuracy will be impacted....

Hope that clarifies....

No.    I don't think you have to worry about his arm or upper body being a problem.   He's not that big.

The only criticism I've ever read/heard about Luck's mechanics is that he lifts his back foot (right) as he throws and that reduces the amount of drive he can get on his passes.    Costs him some rpm's off his fast ball...

Otherwise, his mechanics are viewed as almost text book.  

Most observers seem to think his accuracy problems come from (A) being under way too much pressure, and (B) we throw farther downfield than most every other team...   between those two,  your accuracy will be impacted....

Hope that clarifies....

I appreciate your import...thanks'.He does tend to lift that plant leg as he goes through his progressions.He has a naturally long wind-up and factor in a poor o-line contributed to accuracy problems.

Could this be a factor with his throwing motion/mechanics?I think it influences his accuracy,such as a similiar situation with quinn/tebow.

The biggest factor in his low comp % is the style O this team is running.   A LOT of throws going down field.

Too many drops IMO also. ...  all the rookies had butterfingers for much of the year. 

It's looking good for Arians coming back so this O will improve greatly next season.

Do you or bazamo40 have anything to add,or contribute other than smirky comments?

I don't know who bazamo40 is but I assume you meant me. I honestly am not trying to be smirky, I have made a conscious effort to not do that as much as I used to, but sometimes I jut can't help it. Luck is not a bodybuilder, its not like his arms are so big he has trouble wiping himself. He's just a naturally stocky guy and it has no effect on his throwing motion.

This is a concern,since he couldn't seem to hit the broad side of a barn most of the year(54%).He has a similiar build to tebow/quinn and he's getting bigger(so it seems).It influences mechanics...period.

Is that suppose to be creep , or is creeper right ?

I don't know who bazamo40 is but I assume you meant me. I honestly am not trying to be smirky, I have made a conscious effort to not do that as much as I used to, but sometimes I jut can't help it. Luck is not a bodybuilder, its not like his arms are so big he has trouble wiping himself. He's just a naturally stocky guy and it has no effect on his throwing motion.

Thanks' for clarifying.I just wanted to know if it possibly could be contributing to his accuracy.

I think that you would have to ask yourself if he has gotten considerably bigger since he left Stanford where he had a 72% completion percentage. He was known for his accuracy.

So if he hasn't gotten considerably larger in this year's time, logically you would have to assume that the NFL being faster, a new offensive scheme, and being a rookie while playing with other rookies have to account for a majority of his innacuarcies.

This is a concern,since he couldn't seem to hit the broad side of a barn most of the year(54%).He has a similiar build to tebow/quinn and he's getting bigger(so it seems).It influences mechanics...period.

There were quite a few passes where he not only hit the barn, but hit the barn doors right where the handle is....you know where the hands go, and the recievers watched it bounce right off their hands and hit the ground.

I think that you would have to ask yourself if he has gotten considerably bigger since he left Stanford where he had a 72% completion percentage. He was known for his accuracy.

So if he hasn't gotten considerably larger in this year's time, logically you would have to assume that the NFL being faster, a new offensive scheme, and being a rookie while playing with other rookies have to account for a majority of his innacuarcies.

I agree that those are the main factors that contribute to his accuracy problems,that and a porous offensive line.But,i've also wondered if lifting has also become an issue.

I agree that those are the main factors that contribute to his accuracy problems,that and a porous offensive line.But,i've also wondered if lifting has also become an issue.
He was known at Stanford for being a work horse in the weight room as well. But it didn't affect his accuracy at Stanford. He is not overly big, and is consious of the effects of working out too much. I don't think that it's an issue. In fact, I am positive that we will see an increase in his completion percentage and this "inaccuracy" bit will be old news.

Even worse than your question is your signature thing at the bottom. The colts must sign Danny Woodhead, Julian Edleman, and trade for Audie Cole????

I don't want to deviate from my orginal post,but how does obtaining the services of woodhead,edelman and cole regress the colts?Two of the three that i mentioned are contributing factors of the likely superbowl champion patriots.And cole is an up-and-coming MIKE.

He was known at Stanford for being a work horse in the weight room as well. But it didn't affect his accuracy at Stanford. He is not overly big, and is consious of the effects of working out too much. I don't think that it's an issue. In fact, I am positive that we will see an increase in his completion percentage and this "inaccuracy" bit will be old news.

I hope so as well.I'm also certain that his % will improve 5-8 points.I love andrew,and want him to succeed as much as any colt fan,but i also want him to be held accountable for mistakes/flaws.I think our previous QB was never held accountable and was surrounded by 'yes men',including our own fans.

I think Luck is just naturally big. He stated that he doesn't bench press or lift heavy weights for the sake of staying loose and accurate. Quinn and Tebow are just bros who lift to look good in tight T-shirts.

I heard he's a beast lifting weights.

I don't want to deviate from my orginal post,but how does obtaining the services of woodhead,edelman and cole regress the colts?Two of the three that i mentioned are contributing factors of the likely superbowl champion patriots.And cole is an up-and-coming MIKE.

I didn't say they would regress the colts, but they are far from must haves. Woodhead is ok, but only a situational player and I don't see what Edelman adds to the colts besides a level of dooshyness. Audie Cole is up and coming? I couldn't even find a stat line on the guy....unless you count a bunch of zeros across the board.

And the patriots are far from likely

I didn't say they would regress the colts, but they are far from must haves. Woodhead is ok, but only a situational player and I don't see what Edelman adds to the colts besides a level of dooshyness. Audie Cole is up and coming? I couldn't even find a stat line on the guy....unless you count a bunch of zeros across the board. And the patriots are far from likely

Maybe my wording was over zealous.They aren't must have,but would like to have type players.I think edelman(special team/wr/rb/cb) contributes alot more than collie could.Its true that audie didn't play this year,but it doesn't take away from his massive potential that he's demonstrated.

P.S.Let's not forget manning's incident with the young lady in the vols locker room.Two sides to a story.

To the OP, I think lack of experience and constant pressure have more to do with inaccuracy. No QB can throw accurate ball when running for his life (still Luck did it a few times). When he had time he could throw the ball even behind triple coverage (see T.Y:'s 70 yd TD against Texans).

If O-line's pass-defense will improve, his accuracy will soar drastically.