Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I'll say it; Seattle was overrated

Synthetic

I got sick of it hearing it for weeks how this was a Super Bowl team, when they couldn't even beat Green Bay without one of the worst calls ever going their way.

Are they a good? Sure....are they that good? Hell no.

I got sick of hearing it. They scored 50 points against teams that didn't even make the playoffs (Arizona and Buffalo), then the Niners had a really bad game on the road. Did anyone really look at these guys on the road? They were all set to crown Russell Wilson the next greatest QB ever, and while he's done a good job, I wouldn't be shocked if he regresses next season.

Their defense was good but totally not the #1 rank they got. Similar to how smoking awesome Pittsburgh's #1 defense was last season when they had horrible games, and ultimately did not deliver in the playoffs against Tim freaking Tebow.

I think Seattle will regress next year. Remember Shaun King? He was great with Tampa Bay for a season or two then no one knows what happened to him he did not live up to the expectations. No I don't think Wilson will fall like he did, but I wouldn't be shocked if he don't live up to the hype next season and Seattle goes 8-8.

As much as I hate Atlanta, I don't know how we'd really be feeling if the 12th man that should have lost to GB earlier in the season and has a tremendous amount of luck made it to the NFC Championship. It's funny how easy the media forgets that game, and was dead set on calling them a Super Bowl team.

The future of the West is in the hands of the 49ers and Rams. I honestly think that the Rams are going to become a big headache for those guys. Jeff Fisher is already 1-0-1 against them, and just to think. Spags had that team for 3 years and couldn't do nothing with them, in just ONE season Fisher has put a new mentality in that defense even without having defensive coordinator Gregg Williams all year. They have all the draft picks that Synder gave to them for drafting Griffin, so they have a good measure of material to continue to work and build up. Also Fisher don't have Bud Adams there to throw a wrench into things with something stupid like Vince Young or spending all their money to keep an arrogant guy like Chris Johnson who did nothing after he got his money.

Did anyone deep down even want to root for Seattle? I think Packer fans know how it feels to be screwed by the 12th man.

My wife was rooting for Seattle, but only to annoy me.

I think the Seahawks have a lot going for them, and can build on it next year. They probably played over their heads for a good portion of the season, and let's be honest... they should not have won that replacement ref game against Green Bay, which I believe would have knocked them out of the playoffs.

I'm also not quite sold on Russell Wilson just yet. And having seen Pete Carroll here in NE for several years, I think he's a slightly above average head coach at best. Very good with the rah-rah stuff, but his schtick had no legs here in NE.

I have to be honest, too... as the season wore on, Richard Sherman got more and more annoying to me. The kid needs to actually win something besides a wildcard playoff game before he starts carrying himself around the way he does. Obviously it makes him a more effective player to get under his opponents' skin like that, but I'm not a big proponent of trash talk or that kind of punk-mentality.

Sherman reminds me of Kevin Garnett.  He may be physically imposing but he's best talking trash. 

I think they have some very good players on their team, but to me it seems that their is more parity in the league more-so than being overrated.  Each division has 1 or 2 strong teams and the rest are perennial cellar dwellers.

You can go conference by conference, division by division 1 or 2 good teams and 1 or 2 mediocre to bad teams.

8-0 at home where they get all the calls, including that horrible one that screwed GB out of the game.

3-5 on the road.

They are an offensive juggernaut until they are on the road. Their only road wins came on an OT game against a poor Miami team that they should have blown out, and the 2 massive blow outs against bottom feeders Buffalo and Arizona.

I pulled for your enemy the Falcons.  Matt Ryan is the least obnoxious guy in the NFL and one of the better passing QBs.  

I don't think any of these "read option" teams are going to last more than 2-3 years.  I do think Kap will grow into a good passing QB though, more so than Griffin and Wilson.  He's taller and can see over the line.  I do believe that will limit the other 2.     

WHAT?

IF not for a couple of bone-headed decisions in that game yesterday they would have won the game!   IMO they totally blew golden opportunities to put points on the board - a FG each time and they win that game!    I totally disagree that they were over rated!

Sherman is a beast!   He should steal the amiercan pie name - Shermanator!

WHAT?

IF not for a couple of bone-headed decisions in that game yesterday they would have won the game!   IMO they totally blew golden opportunities to put points on the board - a FG each time and they win that game!    I totally disagree that they were over rated!

Sherman is a beast!   He should steal the amiercan pie name - Shermanator!

AGREE and that was another bone headed call by the coach that cost them the game and if they could have caught that hail mary they would have won that game anyway. To comeback in a playoff game after being down 20 points is hard for many QB's and a rookie did it.  :thmup: I think he had a great rookie season in my opinion. :)

If anything, I think Seattle was underrated.  Strong defense, consistent running game, good receivers, solid play from Wilson (and let's not forget, he was a rookie).  I'm not a big fan of Carroll, but he has shown that he knows what he is doing.  If Clemons wasn't hurt, and the defense didn't suddenly shut down in crunch time, Seattle would be playing San Fran next week

Seattle is an incredibly good, talented, young and deep roster, with good coaching and front office.

I hope the Colts future is as bright as Seattle's.    

If our defense turns out to be as good as theirs -- I'm talking someday, not even next year,  someday -- then I'll be happy.

I don't understand anyone who doesn't see just how good Seattle is.    That's a seriously good team with a seriously good future.     I think if Seattle is anything....   it's underrated.

Really.

When Seattle beat the crap out of the 49ers, they caught everyone's attention.

I think the Redskins could have beaten this team, if not a one legged RG3 was playing.

I actually was worried that Seattle would pull of the win.  It is tough to play a division rival in the NFCCG, I mean they know you inside and out.

Seattle is a team that exceeded expectations this year, and WILL ONLY GET BETTER. This is a young team lead by a great young quarterback. They'll be back next year, and I'd put them in the conversation for SB contenders next year.

They have left a bad taste in my mouth since the Packers game TBH. And I was hoping they would lose before the title game too. You usually can only go so far with a rookie QB no matter how good your team is. I won't go too far back but Flacco and Big Ben did make it to the title games as rookies but had the D to go with it as well. Heck Ben's team was 15-1 his rookie year.....my God.

I think they were overrated on the road. And you saw with this years Colts some of the same issues on the road too at times vs. good teams. I do think the early start hurt Seattle and is not something a lot of people took into consideration heading into the game. And all the traveling as well.

I believe the last time I checked before that game that Seattle was favored IN Atlanta. I don't care how overrated Atlanta might be, that was a slap in the face IMO. A first seed deserves to be favored, period.

Speaking of the QB youth thing I am curious to see how just how far the 49ers can go with Kaepernick. He is a second year QB but does not even have a year of starting experience under his belt. He has a team around him though that can afford him a few mistakes but I am still hesitant at times on him to lead the 49ers to the Lombardi......guess we'll see....although I am favoring SF to get to the SB.

I got sick of it hearing it for weeks how this was a Super Bowl team, when they couldn't even beat Green Bay without one of the worst calls ever going their way.

Are they a good? Sure....are they that good? Hell no.

I got sick of hearing it. They scored 50 points against teams that didn't even make the playoffs (Arizona and Buffalo), then the Niners had a really bad game on the road. Did anyone really look at these guys on the road? They were all set to crown Russell Wilson the next greatest QB ever, and while he's done a good job, I wouldn't be shocked if he regresses next season.

Their defense was good but totally not the #1 rank they got. Similar to how smoking awesome Pittsburgh's #1 defense was last season when they had horrible games, and ultimately did not deliver in the playoffs against Tim freaking Tebow.

I think Seattle will regress next year. Remember Shaun King? He was great with Tampa Bay for a season or two then no one knows what happened to him he did not live up to the expectations. No I don't think Wilson will fall like he did, but I wouldn't be shocked if he don't live up to the hype next season and Seattle goes 8-8.

As much as I hate Atlanta, I don't know how we'd really be feeling if the 12th man that should have lost to GB earlier in the season and has a tremendous amount of luck made it to the NFC Championship. It's funny how easy the media forgets that game, and was dead set on calling them a Super Bowl team.

The future of the West is in the hands of the 49ers and Rams. I honestly think that the Rams are going to become a big headache for those guys. Jeff Fisher is already 1-0-1 against them, and just to think. Spags had that team for 3 years and couldn't do nothing with them, in just ONE season Fisher has put a new mentality in that defense even without having defensive coordinator Gregg Williams all year. They have all the draft picks that Synder gave to them for drafting Griffin, so they have a good measure of material to continue to work and build up. Also Fisher don't have Bud Adams there to throw a wrench into things with something stupid like Vince Young or spending all their money to keep an arrogant guy like Chris Johnson who did nothing after he got his money.

Did anyone deep down even want to root for Seattle? I think Packer fans know how it feels to be screwed by the 12th man.

Is everyone suddently overrated to you when they lose in the playoffs? They played well a large part of the season, they have a good and up and coming franchise QB a good O Line and a very good Secondary, they could use another OLB and D Lineman and maybe another weapon for Wilson and they will be right back in the thick of things next year, they are close to having what it takes to win a Superbowl in my opinion another piece or two and they will make alot more noise

Seattle has notable flaws like all NFL teams do these days.  I think their offense was heavily overrated after their streak of games with big points and I think aspects of their defense are occasionally overrated.

Still, they are a pretty well-constructed team that should remain in the thick of things for at least another year or two.  Their secondary sure as hell isn't overrated and they've got the best CB tandem in the league bar none.  Lynch is a beast and Wilson is the right kind of QB for that team, although he's certainly no world beater as a pocket passer.  That division will be tough going forward, though.  The 9ers have the capacity to dominate anyone (not that they always do) and you can never entirely count out a Jeff Fischer team.

In spite of all that I still hope they go 6-10 every season for the next 75 years.

Bogie, 

I like you man. You are 1 of my favorite bloggers on here. Clearly, we have a huge difference of opinion here. That's fine. Friends don't always see eye to eye on things. QB Russel Wilson is the real deal. I watched all his games at UW-Madison. Agile, never takes big hits, & makes smart decisions with the football. Wilson was a heck of a lot more clutch than Ryan was. Seattle o-line is sturdy, their secondary is solid, that front 4 is coming after opposing QB's, & that entire team flew cross country with time zone issues & kicked caboose. Nope. Seattle is not overrated at all.

Seattle has notable flaws like all NFL teams do these days.  I think their offense was heavily overrated after their streak of games with big points and I think aspects of their defense are occasionally overrated.

Still, they are a pretty well-constructed team that should remain in the thick of things for at least another year or two.  Their secondary sure as hell isn't overrated and they've got the best CB tandem in the league bar none.  Lynch is a beast and Wilson is the right kind of QB for that team, although he's certainly no world beater as a pocket passer.  That division will be tough going forward, though.  The 9ers have the capacity to dominate anyone (not that they always do) and you can never entirely count out a Jeff Fischer team.

In spite of all that I still hope they go 6-10 every season for the next 75 years.

He beat NE with his arm, throwing 3 TD's, He also tortured the 49ers for 4 TD's and 15 of 21 passing, I cant really say if he can consistently beat teams with his arm but with that said its a great thing when your a QB that can get the job done without having to do that alot, Lynch is a very solid Back only complaint I would have with him is he is a bit fumble prone getting careless with the ball sometimes while carrying it

On a day when Lance Armstrong is making headlines for all the wrong reasons I'll have a tough time giving Pete Carroll credit for anything....

I've cheated my entire career......pete-carroll_zps309af570.jpg.....AND I WON!!!

Okay now that I got that out of system....the Seahawks are a very solid, VERY balanced team and they could be a playoff fixture for quite a while.

And any Luck vs RGIII rivalry...which really isn't one anyway.....will soon be overshadowed by Kaepernick vs Russell.

THAT should be quite entertaining.

They were all set to crown Russell Wilson the next greatest QB ever, and while he's done a good job, I wouldn't be shocked if he regresses next season.

Experts are comparing Russell Wilson to your Drew Brees. Short and small in stature....but athletic, with excellent leadership qualities, and cerebral.

It's too early to write the book on any of these young QBs....but I think Wilson is the real deal and the Seahawks are gonna be in the playoff conversation for a while, even if I can't stand them.

On a day when Lance Armstrong is making headlines for all the wrong reasons I'll have a tough time giving Pete Carroll credit for anything....

I've cheated my entire career......pete-carroll_zps309af570.jpg.....AND I WON!!!

Okay now that I got that out of system....the Seahawks are a very solid, VERY balanced team and they could be a playoff fixture for quite a while.

And any Luck vs RGIII rivalry...which really isn't one anyway.....will soon be overshadowed by Kaepernick vs Russell.

THAT should be quite entertaining.

I ran out of likes pacolts 56, but I agree with everything you said so eloquently here. 5 thumbs up for you my friend.  :thmup:  :thmup:  :thmup:  :thmup:  :thmup:

You are 100% right though. Both Lance Armstrong & Pete Carroll cheated the system. Lance with PED's & Pete with running away to the Seattle SeaHawks to avoid USC sanctions. Really disgraceful & disappointing in both cases. Pete is an exceptional HC though. I can't disregard that. The man knows exactly what he's doing on a football field.  :worthy:  :hat: Seattle is no fluke or 1 season wonder. They just don't get very much publicity in the Pacific Northwest. They will be back in the Playoffs next year. No doubt in my mind whatsoever. 

Seattle is a team that exceeded expectations this year, and WILL ONLY GET BETTER. This is a young team lead by a great young quarterback. They'll be back next year, and I'd put them in the conversation for SB contenders next year.

Andy...with respect...no team or player ONLY GETS BETTER.....many, many get worse...or stay the same

....I dont see Seattle as better than SF or Atlanta or even GB...not yet...

I'd like to see Seattle legitimately make the post-season..not on fluke calls

Experts are comparing Russell Wilson to your Drew Brees. Short and small in stature....but athletic, with excellent leadership qualities, and cerebral.

It's too early to write the book on any of these young QBs....but I think Wilson is the real deal and the Seahawks are gonna be in the playoff conversation for a while, even if I can't stand them.

It makes no sense at all to compare him to Brees, and yeah Saints fans constantly try to compare them. Brees does not do any of that running around, and he has always been a pocket passer. Everytime there is a short QB, they want to compare him to Brees. Before him, when Colt McCoy had 1 good game, that was the first thing I heard about him.

It makes no sense at all to compare him to Brees, and yeah Saints fans constantly try to compare them. Brees does not do any of that running around, and he has always been a pocket passer. Everytime there is a short QB, they want to compare him to Brees. Before him, when Colt McCoy had 1 good game, that was the first thing I heard about him.

Wilson does have the added dimension of taking off and running...which could wind up getting him creamed.....but there are some real similarities in the way he rallies his team, and by virtue of their similar size....has to slide to find his throwing lanes. And they are both positionally-smart QBs.

I can see how the "small QB" comparisons to Brees might be annoying and overplayed....but at least you have the gold standard for that type of QB on your team. And if I were Russell Wilson I'd be film-studying Brees A LOT....which I bet you he has.

True RGIII, no team can anticipate high scoring consecutive victories like Seattle experienced this season next year I agree my friend. But, just out of curiosity, why all the hostility toward a team that doesn't even play in the NFC East? Contempt for the Dallas Cowboys I comprehend perfectly. Seattle, on the other hand, not so much. Yes, I feel horrible for RG3 & I hope that he makes a full recovery with no setbacks, but even at full speed for your field general that SeaHawks defense was hard hitting, fast, & they swarmed to the football. Don't be so quick to say RGIII at full strength would have won that Playoff game. Would it have greatly increased their chances of success? Sure. Would it have been a foregone conclusion? Absolutely not.

True RGIII, no team can anticipate high scoring consecutive victories like Seattle experienced this season next year I agree my friend. But, just out of curiosity, why all the hostility toward a team that doesn't even play in the NFC East? Contempt for the Dallas Cowboys I comprehend perfectly. Seattle, on the other hand, not so much. Yes, I feel horrible for RG3 & I hope that he makes a full recovery with no setbacks, but even at full speed for your field general that SeaHawks defense was hard hitting, fast, & they swarmed to the football. Don't be so quick to say RGIII at full strength would have won that Playoff game. Would it have greatly increased their chances of success? Sure. Would it have been a foregone conclusion? Absolutely not.

3 of our last 4 playoff games have been against Seattle and we've lost all of them, so there's reason enough not to want them to do well there.  However, that alone is not a big enough reason for why a LOT of Skins fans don't want to see that team do well.  The thing is that we REALLY don't like their fans.  They've established a reputation with us for being jerks on a near Eagles fan level in their own stadium (i.e., well beyond the pale of a typical competitive stadium environment) and will likely never be forgiven in particular for their tasteless attitudes in '07 regarding the death of Sean Taylor.  Hell, they're a lot like their coach and star player... lots of whining and an overabundance of petty trash talk.

As for the individual game itself, that defense was completely paralyzed before Griffin fell apart.  They probably would have made a run of sorts on us because that tends to be our team's MO but they would have had a minimal chance of overcoming the hole we had the opportunity to put them in.  That game changed completely once they realized Griffin couldn't run and it quickly turned out that he couldn't throw off his bad leg, either.

Andy...with respect...no team or player ONLY GETS BETTER.....many, many get worse...or stay the same

....I dont see Seattle as better than SF or Atlanta or even GB...not yet...

I'd like to see Seattle legitimately make the post-season..not on fluke calls

Even if they lost that GB game, they would be in the playoffs. They nearly beat the Falcons on the road, torched the niners at home, and had a close game with GB at the beginning of the year with inexperience all over the place.

This is a team that contended this year with the best, and is young. Sure, teams get worse, but I can almost guarantee you the Hawks will get better.

3 of our last 4 playoff games have been against Seattle and we've lost all of them, so there's reason enough not to want them to do well there.  However, that alone is not a big enough reason for why a LOT of Skins fans don't want to see that team do well.  The thing is that we REALLY don't like their fans.  They've established a reputation with us for being jerks on a near Eagles fan level in their own stadium (i.e., well beyond the pale of a typical competitive stadium environment) and will likely never be forgiven in particular for their tasteless attitudes in '07 regarding the death of Sean Taylor.  Hell, they're a lot like their coach and star player... lots of whining and an overabundance of petty trash talk.

As for the individual game itself, that defense was completely paralyzed before Griffin fell apart.  They probably would have made a run of sorts on us because that tends to be our team's MO but they would have had a minimal chance of overcoming the hole we had the opportunity to put them in.  That game changed completely once they realized Griffin couldn't run and it quickly turned out that he couldn't throw off his bad leg, either.

Thanks for clueing me in on the justification for disliking Seattle RGIII. Sean Taylor was a tremendous safety. I thought he was incredible. Why would anyone trash talk him? So sad & disrespectful IMO.

http://youtu.be/t5fgtnMwK6s

http://youtu.be/UmqLHY__cfc

Yup, once Seattle knew RG3 could scrabble & throw as swiftly as he had done earlier in the season, the game was decided. Hang in there my friend! RG3 with re-emerge with relentless fierceness & drive next season. I really respect how this man carries himself.  :thmup:  I am really happy for the DC area. The Skins deserve some serious good fortune now.  :td: