Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hughes (How Could We)

chrisfarley

In fairness, we ALL loved the pick at the time

It's easy to criticize the picks with the benefit of hindsight

If there's one missed opportunity I dwell on more it's the fact we could've had Hakeem Nicks instead of Donald Brown ... :Cry:

Yep on draft night people loved Hughes. Angerer was the pick most fans didn't like.

It was a miss every team in the NFL has them.

That's one thing people fail to realize is that all teams have picks that don't work out. We just don't pay as much attention to other team's failures. Don't you people realize that odds are it's going to happen? GM's don't have crystal balls, they make an educated decision based on what they've seen, and hope for the best. I'd like to see any one of you do better.

That's one thing people fail to realize is that all teams have picks that don't work out. We just don't pay as much attention to other team's failures. Don't you people realize that odds are it's going to happen? GM's don't have crystal balls, they make an educated decision based on what they've seen, and hope for the best. I'd like to see any one of you do better.

especially when the only real first round "miss" we had between 98 and 2005 was Rob Morris and he wasn't a true miss. The odds were going to catch up to the Colts at some point. I find it funny people bash Polian for his recent drafts but ignore players like Garcon, Collie, McAfee, Conner, Angerer, Moala and other good players that have come in recent drafts likie those picks didn't happen.

Yep on draft night people loved Hughes. Angerer was the pick most fans didn't like.

We had such high hopes for him ...we'd modify our D to find a way to put our 3 best pass rushers on the field, he would be our playmaking joker on D ..if only.

I still can't stop imagining what our offense might be with Nicks ...why God why???? :pullhair:

especially when the only real first round "miss" we had between 98 and 2005 was Rob Morris and he wasn't a true miss. The odds were going to catch up to the Colts at some point. I find it funny people bash Polian for his recent drafts but ignore players like Garcon, Collie, McAfee, Conner, Angerer, Moala and other good players that have come in recent drafts likie those picks didn't happen.

Superbowl XLI would have been a pipe dream, if not for Morris filling in for Gilbert

the Grape.

One thing I always give Polian for is his ability to find "value" at the bottom of the bargain bin in the later rounds or the undrafted ranks - he just hasn't hit any homeruns on the first day lately

We had such high hopes for him ...we'd modify our D to find a way to put our 3 best pass rushers on the field, he would be our playmaking joker on D ..if only.

I still can't stop imagining what our offense might be with Nicks ...why God why???? :pullhair:

Odds are the pick would have been Saffold and not Nicks.

Just move on from it we can't go back and draft Nicks now. I really doubt he Colts are going to cry tears over it if they cut Hughes. Most teams don't cry over mistakes they just try to find out a way to make the best of the situation they are now in. Just like we did by drafting Castonzo this year.

One thing I always give Polian for is his ability to find "value" at the bottom of the bargain bin in the later rounds or the undrafted ranks - he just hasn't hit any homeruns on the first day lately

I don't know I think Garcon or Conner in the sixth and seventh rounds might very well count as a Homerun. They are both starters in rounds where you are lucky to get back ups most of the time. They just are the Hall of Fame level players like a Manning or Wayne.

chris long didnt do anything his first two years in the league and now hes a beast.

This is true as well. That's the one thing Hughes has going for him, Polian himself said sometimes it takes two to three years for D-line players to develop. That's why I don't think we'll be cutting him.

What is working against Hughes right now is that the Colts did play him almost the whole game last night and they have a history of doing that with players who are very much on the bubble in the last pre-season game.

I don't think anyone can really justify complaints against the staff's evaluation of Hughes. Most experts lauded the selection of Hughes as a perfect fit for our defense...and he was! Hughes just hasn't lived up to his end of the bargain. I think Hughes has this year to prove that he can do something...after than, we should cut him loose. I don't think Hughes will cut it as a LB he doesn't have the strenght and heart to play this role IMO. You need to bring it on every play and WANT to hit and be hit to be great LB.

Again, I think Chris and Bill did their jobs...Hughes looked phenomenal coming out of college but never made the transition to the Pro's.

This is true as well. That's the one thing Hughes has going for him, Polian himself said sometimes it takes two to three years for D-line players to develop. That's why I don't think we'll be cutting him.

What is working against Hughes right now is that the Colts did play him almost the whole game last night and they have a history of doing that with players who are very much on the bubble in the last pre-season game.

Well, then that means they saw him play pretty well. Should go in his favor.

Im sorry but arent these the same fans that called for depth at that position after what happened in the playoffs? hughes will come into his own, the dude isnt even starting plus he doesnt look like he has found his move yet but tbh he does look like he needs to be a LB or in a 3-4 or something.

I think a big problem the Colts have in drafting is they pick players that fit the system rather than just picking good players. I could see the Colts picking Addai over Peterson because of him being a better pass catcher out of the backfield. I'm hoping after the team is cleansed of any Caldwells or Polians they start getting good players, not just system players!!!!!

I think a big problem the Colts have in drafting is they pick players that fit the system rather than just picking good players. I could see the Colts picking Addai over Peterson because of him being a better pass catcher out of the backfield. I'm hoping after the team is cleansed of any Caldwells or Polians they start getting good players, not just system players!!!!!

Question do you think Collie, Powers, Garcon, Moala, McAfee, Conner, or Angerer are good players? If you answer yes then you have to give credit to Polian for getting those players too.

1. Dumb Thread.

2. Hindsight is 20/20; Hughes was a supreme talent in college, and after getting zero pass rush without Freeney against the Saints, every fan on this board was jumping up and down when we made this selection.

3. For those suggesting it was a stupid move, that would imply that everyone in the world knew it was a bad choice before it happened, including the Polians, but they made the choice anyway.

We don't know enough about him yet for any assumptions to be valid.

So we don't have good players? That's pretty much entirely false, with no room for discussion. Besides, every team (except the Raiders) draft either for their system, or to develop and trade for future picks.

What is so spectacular about Nicks that it drives you nuts? I live near NY and he isn't talked about as if he is a superstar. You make it sound as if the Colts passed on Jerry Rice.

Don't forget that we got Collie that year whom I had never even heard of at the time but who has turned out to be pretty freaking impressive in his own right. If we had drafted Nicks it is highly unlikely that we would have also taken Collie. Personally I had hoped they would draft Kenny Britt because I like Rutgers. He is a far better receiver than Nicks, yet I've never looked back longingly at that draft. I only went back to think about it because of your post. You could play this game every year for every team and accomplish nothing besides losing your mind.

It certainly appeared to be time to draft another RB. If it's any consolation, Knowshon Moreno was picked well ahead of Brown that year and done nothing special. (Of course there's always LeSean McCoy who was drafted lower ;)).

And lets be honest. We have been picking at the end of the first round for a long time now. I know we have had some great picks there, but when u start getting out of the top ten or 15 players, it going to always be a craps shoot at that time. I know this is not always the truth, but for the most part it is. Even high draft picks that everyone loves turn out to be duds sometimes. Thats just the business of any sport.

1. Dumb Thread.

2. Hindsight is 20/20; Hughes was a supreme talent in college, and after getting zero pass rush without Freeney against the Saints, every fan on this board was jumping up and down when we made this selection.

3. For those suggesting it was a stupid move, that would imply that everyone in the world knew it was a bad choice before it happened, including the Polians, but they made the choice anyway.

dude u always shoot down everyones threads or someones post. chill.

So we don't have good players? That's pretty much entirely false, with no room for discussion. Besides, every team (except the Raiders) draft either for their system, or to develop and trade for future picks.

chris long didnt do anything his first two years in the league and now hes a beast.

You can add in Haynesworth, Bruce Smith, and even Fili Moala.

People really need to know what to expect. Unless you're an absolute freak like Suh or Freeney, you just won't see any production for the first few years.

Personally, I think the biggest mistake that Polian made was stating that he was expecting Hughes to contribute his first year... cause it just isn't realistic, and he knows that.

In fairness, we ALL loved the pick at the time

It's easy to criticize the picks with the benefit of hindsight

If there's one missed opportunity I dwell on more it's the fact we could've had Hakeem Nicks instead of Donald Brown ... :Cry:

I didn't love it. I didn't even like it.

We had 2 pro-bowl DEs. Sure, the Freeney injury pre-SB may have added to it but I didn't understand using a 1st round pick for a guy who will sit on the bench behind 2 pro bowlers.

It appears that he was to replace Mathis(who wouldn't have been re-signed)

I'm not really criticizing Polian/Polian as they certainly can do a better job than any of us but it was a little odd.

It was a very stupid pick, we should have picked Saffold. Let's look at the bright side, he provides good depth and has the potential to take over RM job in the future.

Hindsight is always 20/20. I did want us to take Saffold, but some people didn't think he would be able to play LT in the NFL.

Hughes was a very popular pick on the board. Ironically, people weren't happy about us taking Angerer in the 2nd because they thought we could get him in the 3rd or 4th and Angerer has had a much bigger impact on our team than Hughes. Give Hughes time, he only has 1 year of experience under his belt. Angerer was thrown into action because of injuries, but Hughes was stuck behind Mathis and Freeney.

Yea, because then we would kick but on Madden!

1. Dumb Thread.

Really? So if draft picks look good on paper, you automatically get a bye? In that case, all the first round successes looked good on paper, so you or I could have done just as well. The end justifies the means in this business. Stop looking for reasons to defend our woeful 1st rounders of recent years.

This blind love of all things 'Polian' is absurd. Bill has been stinking it up in all facets of his job for half a decade. He's living off past glories. He should have been retired, not moved upstairs.

Moala? Really?