Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hughes (How Could We)

chrisfarley

We had such high hopes for him ...we'd modify our D to find a way to put our 3 best pass rushers on the field, he would be our playmaking joker on D ..if only.

I still can't stop imagining what our offense might be with Nicks ...why God why???? :pullhair:

I still remember when we were doing our mock drafts that year, Hakeem Nicks was my guy. He was the one I was most adamant about and hopeful we'd nab. Probably the first and last time in history I'll ever be able to claim to have been more right than Polian. ;)

Still way too early to call Hughes a bust, especially with the improvement he's shown going through the preseason. As for him being too small for DE, he's bigger than Mathis...only by 10 lbs but still...just saying. Mathis has proved that a guy in their size range can be more than effective at DE.

I can't say I was loving the pick of Hughes as I would have rather seen them go after a DT. However in looking through the draft, I couldn't find a DT that would have been worth the pick at that point. The one thing I did like was seeing them use a first round pick (and 2nd round for that matter) on the defense. It had been a while since we'd gone for defense that high so I was happy about that.

The Donald Brown pick is still a mystery to me. I still think there were more pressing needs that we could have used the first round pick on other than a backup running back.

As for getting bigger at LB...I fully agree, but the truth is we are getting bigger at LB. A few years ago our LB's ranged from 220-230 lbs but now we have guys ranging from 230-250 lbs.

Really? So if draft picks look good on paper, you automatically get a bye? In that case, all the first round successes looked good on paper, so you or I could have done just as well. The end justifies the means in this business. Stop looking for reasons to defend our woeful 1st rounders of recent years.

This blind love of all things 'Polian' is absurd. Bill has been stinking it up in all facets of his job for half a decade. He's living off past glories. He should have been retired, not moved upstairs.

Moala? Really?

I assume the Moala remark was for my response. Yes, Moala. Have you watched him at all this preseason? He's easily our 2nd or 3rd best DT so far... a far cry from what he was doing 3 years ago.

It was a very stupid pick, we should have picked Saffold. Let's look at the bright side, he provides good depth and has the potential to take over RM job in the future.

There you go again with a mindless thought followed up by the very rationale that they picked him in the first place. So which is it - a stupid pick or one in which he has the potential to take over for Mathis, which doesn't by definition mean it was not a stupid pick?

While Saffold has been and may well end up the better player, saying it was a stupid pick now is very clearly made with the benefit of hindsight. Do you think Bill's crystal ball was broke on draft day?

I would like to see him at linebacker. Seems like a good and interesting fit.

I don't understand this rush to try him at linebacker. He never played linebacker in college that I know of and as for size, he is bigger than Mathis. All of the pundits (who I hate) raved about the pick as a perfect one for the Colts that late in the first round. If I could live my life by hindsight, I would be a multimillionaire by now. Be thankful that, through hindsight we are not lamenting picking Ryan Leaf.

I didnt like the Hughes pick, I thought we should have got Sergio Kindle, but look at him as well, injured before season. We need to give him a chance, he has talent and potential, you cant expect a Freeney out of him in his 2nd year. Give him time to develop. Maybe try him at LB?