Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I'm hearing we were lucky.

oldunclemark

Maybe. Possibly. SO?

Allen's psuedo fumble inthe 4th quarter..the final TD which probably didn get in (I dont think your helmet counts)

....3 offensive pass interference cals...what refs call that??

But so what....we were unlucky against Minnesota...

..and afte allmthe calls and all the bounces..you have to make plays.

Ballard and Brown made a ton of plays....and Luck made key plays...

..not to mention enough stops on 'D'

You are what your record says you are...and we're 4-3.

Its pretty straight forward. The Allen non-fumble was stopped forward progress (he had been turned around and dragged down when the fumble occurred) . The first PI call against Britt was clearly PI. The second one didn't matter because they got a touchdown anyway. Even if the ball was placed just outside the goal line in OT it wouldn't matter, we were running all over their D at the end.

Yeah we got lucky. The Refs blew the whistle early on the pass to Allen at the end. Otherwise it would have been a fumble that would have setup the Titans for a game winning FG.

The refs completely blew that call, but they didnt blow the wistle too early. They blew it a whole second after it was out. So that being said, this is the NFL small things count, Like the luck the titans had against Detriot.

Yeah we got lucky. The Refs blew the whistle early on the pass to Allen at the end. Otherwise it would have been a fumble that would have setup the Titans for a game winning FG.

Except, that's not what happened, I DVR'd in HD and the whistle was after a Titan picked up the stripped ball and started to return it. The ref's blew the whistle because they determined forward progress / momentum was stopped. Thus the play is deemed over and the ball is dead. The ball was stripped after that point. That type call cannot be reviewed nor challenged. It happened to the 49's vs. the Giants last year in the NFC title game. Also, there was no clear replay evidence to overturn the Ballard TD call on the field.

Except, that's not what happened, I DVR'd in HD and the whistle was after a Titan picked up the stripped ball and started to return it. The ref's blew the whistle because they determined forward progress / momentum was stopped. Thus the play is deemed over and the ball is dead. The ball was stripped after that point. That type call cannot be reviewed nor challenged. It happened to the 49's vs. the Giants last year in the NFC title game. Also, there was no clear replay evidence to overturn the Ballard TD call on the field.

Youre right. I meant they deemed his forward progress was stopped. We were lucky that they did because he would have fumbled otherwise.

Im glad it happened just saying.

Youre right. I meant they deemed his forward progress was stopped. We were lucky that they did because he would have fumbled otherwise.

Im glad it happened just saying.

Ok, were on same page, except: I expect refs to make proper calls and doing so shouldn't be termed lucky. ;) I'm just glad they got it right.

Maybe. Possibly. SO?

Allen's psuedo fumble inthe 4th quarter..the final TD which probably didn get in (I dont think your helmet counts)

The fumble call was lucky but two of the three PI calls were legit and the one that was not was made up for by the refs letting it go on a TD catch for the Titans later in the game. It has been noted many times this season the league is cracking down on Offensive PI's so if teams keep pushing off like the Titans were today it's going to get called more.

Yes you are right we made more plays than the Titans did today which is why we won the game. The running game just took over late in the game and it was nice to see. Frankly I think we would have seen it more if we hadn't been limited to three positions in the first half and really it was two as one was with less than a minute to go at the end of the first half.

Hate when people say "luck". To be honest, if you executed and played how you were suppose to play, then "luck" wouldn't be able to affect the game.

Luck goes more to the team that's talented over the course of a season , so really a team over time makes its own luck

If I am making any sense ??

Maybe. Possibly. SO?

This post sums up the entire Titans forum right now.

lmao

No we weren't lucky, we just won.

I watched the replays of Ballard's TD about 50 times... and never saw anything to indicated the ball hasn't broken the plane of the goal line, or to suggest it shouldn't be a TD.

I did have a question, tho...

I could swear the rule used to be that the goal line extended beyond the playing field, such that as long as a players is in bounds when he jumps, and as long as the ball crosses the plane before any part of the player touches the ground, it could cross the goal line 5 yards off the field...

Not sure what I'm basing that on, but I could have sworn that is, or at least once was, the rule...

You make your own luck thru hard or not. Our team is working hard, very hard. They may not have all the talent of some teams, but I'll take a group working hard and their results any day.

'

'thats what i meant by

Luck goes more to the team that's talented over the course of a season , so really a team over time makes its own luck

If I am making any sense ??

I watched the replays of Ballard's TD about 50 times... and never saw anything to indicated the ball hasn't broken the plane of the goal line, or to suggest it shouldn't be a TD.

I could swear the rule used to be that the goal line extended beyond the playing field, such that as long as a players is in bounds when he jumps, and as long as the ball crosses the plane before any part of the player touches the ground, it could cross the goal line 5 yards off the field...

Not sure what I'm basing that on, but I could have sworn that is, or at least once was, the rule...

I remember as far as if one crosses that pylon in bounds and was in bounds prior to crossing it, it dont matter if he lands at all totally out of bounds , once crossed its a td , unless drops ball and wasnt secured then may matter

Was a TD and played in slow motion a few times i studied it and he crossed it with ball inbounds

Schwamm...You phrase that well..

I never saw anything to indicate the ball DIDNT go over the goal line...but I actually never saw anything that told, me it DID either

Does the helmet ....hitting the pylon indicate a TD if the entir ebody is in the air.. I guess it does.. we;ll take it

I believe a lot of people have heard something along those lines.

This was found from a forum archive from 2004 with a Q&A with Jerry Markbreit

from ChicagoSports.com (Chicago Tribune Online)

Dear Jerry, I have an incredibly confusing NFL rules question that I earnestly ask you to answer for me. It concerns the "infinite goal line." In the Eagles/Dolphins game, Correll Buckhalter scored a 2-yard TD in the 4th quarter that was challenged by Miami. The play featured Buckhalter leaving his feet at the 1-yard line, diving clear into the air, and landing out of bounds. Apparently the ball crossed the goal line even though Buckhalter landed out of bounds. While I understand that to be a touchdown, John Madden said, "it doesn't matter if the ball crossed the goal line inside the pylon because the goal line extends out beyond the pylons." Al Michaels said the NFL rules committee refers to the goal line "extending around the world," even though pylons are present. Can someone PLEASE explain to me if the goal line does in fact extend into infinity, AND more importantly, please explain why it does? If so, can you score a touchdown by leaping out of bounds at the 1-yard line, cross the "infinite" goal line, and then land totally out of bounds without having to extend the ball inside the pylon? --Brian Mariani, Clinton, Mass.

John Madden was correct when he stated that the ball does not have to cross the goal line inside or over the pylon for a touchdown to be scored. To put it very simply: Whenever the ball carrier dives for the end zone and any part of his body passes over the pylon before he touches anything out-of-bounds, it is a touchdown, regardless of where the ball is. If the runner goes out-of-bounds short of the pylon and the ball passes over the pylon before the runner lands out-of-bounds, it is also a touchdown. The goal line plane actually extends beyond the sideline and theoretically "extends around the world." In my opinion, this rule exists to make the game more exciting and more interesting in goal line situations. -- Jerry Markbreit - NFL Referee

This is from a blog in 2007:

http://www.east-coast-bias.com/2007/10/plane-of-goal-line.html

With a response to the article from Ed Hochuli

Ed Hochuli says:

Excellent explanation, Jason. You are absolutely correct. The NFL rule was changed this year, so the Warrick Dunn play referenced would no longer be a TD because the ball did not pass over the top of or inside, and no part of the player touched in the end zone. But under the current rule, a player in possession of the ball gets a TD at the goal line pylon by either touching some part of his body in the EZ after the ball has broken the goal line plane extended, or by getting the ball over the top of, or inside, the goal line pylon.

The Warrick Dunn play

To illustrate, a few years ago Warrick Dunn dove for the pylon, but missed badly, landing a few feet out of bounds. However, on his way down his foot clipped the pylon. The pylon is considered in-bounds (because the interior face of the pylon is lined up precisely with the sideline), and Dunn was credited with a touchdown. If you re-read my explanation for the "third method" to score a touchdown, he possessed the ball while technically in bounds and beyond the goal line. The ruling was correct.

The actual rule from the rule book:

touchdown.jpg

So, now I'll have to go look at Ballard's amazing effort a few more dozen times. Even if it wasn't an actual touchdown it's 1st & goal from the 1. I doubt they hold.

To the premises of the thread.. Yes there were some fortunate events that happened. The same can be said for nearly ever NFL game that is played. This time they were in the Colts favor.

The refs completely blew that call, but they didnt blow the wistle too early. They blew it a whole second after it was out. So that being said, this is the NFL small things count, Like the luck the titans had against Detriot.

Actually the whistle heard after the ball came out was to let the players know the play was over.......it was already blown dead from the other side of the field when forward progress was stopped. Nice try though,

http://www.east-coas...-goal-line.html

The Warrick Dunn play

touchdown.jpg

So, now I'll have to go look at Ballard's amazing effort a few more dozen times. Even if it wasn't an actual touchdown it's 1st & goal from the 1. I doubt they hold.

To the premises of the thread.. Yes there were some fortunate events that happened. The same can be said for nearly ever NFL game that is played. This time they were in the Colts favor.

Thanks FJC..I now have the knowledge..with which to debate

Vick Ballard did score.....he broke infinite goal line....(even though the rule has been changed)

The field ref called it and it was difficult for the video ref to overrule

Thanks FJC..I now have the knowledge..with which to debate

Vick Ballard did score.....he broke infinite goal line....(even though the rule has been changed)

The field ref called it and it was difficult for the video ref to overrule

Since the rule was changed, the infinite goal line is meaningless. Now whether the play was ruled correctly is still up for debate. I'll have to look at it more later.

It was also extremely close to being walked back for a pick six.....

Schwamm...You phrase that well..

I never saw anything to indicate the ball DIDNT go over the goal line...but I actually never saw anything that told, me it DID either

Does the helmet ....hitting the pylon indicate a TD if the entir ebody is in the air.. I guess it does.. we;ll take it

Sounds like we aren't arguing anything here, but I'd add simply that it becomes irrelevant whether you are seeing anything that proves it is a TD the second the play is called a TD on the field.

Therefore, I was only looking for any evidence that it should have been overturned. I didn't see any.

It is nearly impossible to determine for certain where the ball was relative to the goal line, but it certainly looked like he had it well over the goal line when he flipped over and extended his arms.

http://www.east-coas...-goal-line.html

The Warrick Dunn play

touchdown.jpg

Thanks for the answer. I guess I missed the rule change, but good to know I'm not entirely nuts for imagining it used to be a rule.

Thanks for the answer. I guess I missed the rule change, but good to know I'm not entirely nuts for imagining it used to be a rule.

No, it was in place. I'm not sure why they changed it. There is a difference in the rule if the ball carrier is on his feet vs. going air born, and I think the rule that used to be in place in the NFL is still in place in college.

So Ballard's run/effort would have been indisputable in college and not up for debate.

I really wish the NFL, the NCAA and the NFHS would get together and have one set or rules, especially NFL/College. I understand some high schools still not having play clocks and budgets to accommodate some of the differences, but NCAA/NFL should be on the same page whether it's one foot in bounds to be a catch vs. 2 feet in the NFL, or this airborne rule.

My little two cents on Ballards dive. he got the ball in no doubt. he extended his arms with the ball the whole time. at no point did he pull the ball back. when the safety comes to hit him the ball got caught against his helmet which touched the pylon. there is really no way the ball could not have broke the line at all. as long as the ball crosses the white line its a Td. great play!

Funny! as i type this listen to 1070 a caller was yelling that Ballards dive was dumb and he could of gotten hurt. "Click" he got hung up on.

My little two cents on Ballards dive. he got the ball in no doubt. he extended his arms with the ball the whole time. at no point did he pull the ball back. when the safety comes to hit him the ball got caught against his helmet which touched the pylon. there is really no way the ball could not have broke the line at all. as long as the ball crosses the white line its a Td. great play!

Funny! as i type this listen to 1070 a caller was yelling that Ballards dive was dumb and he could of gotten hurt. "Click" he got hung up on.

I can look again on DVR, but don't want to. That is what I saw during the game and many slo-mo replays. The ball was stretchered out and at least above his face. the ball took same path as helmet, just a little higher. The helmet touched and the ball crossed over the pylon before any body part landed out of bounds. No replay should clear evidence otherwise.