Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I know a win's a win

BProland85

Lol not many ppl thought we would be .500 at this point and yet ppl are really finding anything to complain about. Luck didn't turn the ball over scored two TDs but ppl like Stephan or whatever still crying

Actually, Luck did turn the ball over when fumbled on the strip sack. OTOH, he's doing fine as a developing Rook and leading this team. The future looks bright as far as QB goes. :)

But this by no means was impressive just by reading the stats. I will go back and watch the game on NFL game rewind since I cant view the games down in Tennessee.

But Im hoping we have some better offensive performances than this. Cleveland was supposed to have a horrible pass defense. And hopefully our pass defense improves so we dont give up 250 yards and 2 TDs to a rookie QB in Weeden.

No stat wise it's not going to be impressive unless you like defense and running the football. That's how the Colts won this game which isn't going to look pretty in the box score. Frankly the run game today from the Colts was something we haven't seen in forever. The o-line should all get a pat on the back today they owned the browns up front and while it might not have been pretty it was effective and it showed on that last drive when the Browns were worn out and the Colts were able to pretty much close out the game running it.

The defense did a much better job in the second half in fact shutting the Browns out after the first poistion of the second half and only gave up two scoring drives all day. The tackling was MUCH better today. Also Angerer back was a nice lift to the defense. I like the combo of Freeman and Angerer which is what I think we are going to see once Angerer is totally back. Secondary has some work today. Way too soft early on but they adjusted. One thing that really needs to improve on defense is the lack of turnovers. We have now gone 9 straight quarters without one and even then it's almost 10 because the one we have was on the first series of the third quarter in the Packers game. We also only have one turnover in the last 18 quarters and only three all years. We have to improve that. The biggest problem on defense is the lack of play makers and that's not ALL injuries.

Overall the Colts are doing what you expect a young team to do. Be good at home (3-1 and really one play away from 4-0) and struggling on the road.

To the people complaining about Luck's accuracy, all I have to say is this.

By every other metric Luck is killing it. He is asked to do much more for his team than most veteran QBs in the league. He is near the top of the list in all production categories, even after today. He is elusive in evading pressure and sacks, despite a terrible OL. His decision making, for the most part, has been outstanding. And most important of all he is a natural leader who has gained the respect and confidence of his team. They believe they can win as long as he is under-center. That is something that cannot be coached or taught and it is simultaneously the rarest and most important quality in a QB.

He is doing all of these things with what is ostensibly an expansion team that has suffered the loss of its head coach. That is huge.

But his accuracy is not as good as I want it to be.

OK, granted. Others have already listed a bunch of factors that are affecting his ability to pass. They are not wrong. But neither are you. His touch is a bit off. He does have some trouble with the deep ball accuracy. But here is why none of that should worry you.

His pass inaccuracy is completely fixable. It just takes practice and time. The hard things to correct would be his motion and delivery. Luck's mechanics are superb. His motion is smooth and his delivery is crisp. It's his touch that is at issue.

This is something that will show some small improvement throughout the year, as It requires a ton of repetitions to fix. I suspect he will spend the off season running endless passing drills. We should be a sizable gain in accuracy starting next season. During the season there is only so much time to devote to passing. I would rather have him working on a game plan to beat the next opponent than trying to correct a relatively minor problem.

The fact is that his accuracy will remain where it is for a while. But that shouldn't be a red flag for any of you. Relax. Enjoy a beverage. We have an awesome QB who is capable of winning games regardless of who the opponent is. Life is good.

Very true but like most said, the Colts got a win. They gained some yards on the ground, stopped the run on D and special teams was SO much better than any Colts unit we`ve seen for several years. With more experience hopefully the Colts will put a full game together with all 3 units for 4 quarters and blow somebody out

I believe Luck had a completion % in his first year of college was in the 50's. Once he got used to the college game, he finished his career in the 70's. I expect the same kind of thing in his NFL career. He was one of the most accurate QB's in ncaa history. Screw stats right now. I have eyes, i can see we have a superstar in the making. Go Colts! Go Luck! And yeah, Colts won today. Pretty dumb thread considering.

We pass too much and not enough run. - People complain.

We run the ball for WELL over 100 yards. - People complain.

Yes I would of loved a TD through the air, and Luck to have another 20-30 yards passing, but we won a tough game.

It's always a tough game when we play Cleveland. I seem to remember Peyton's last few bouts against them being tough contests.

Settle down all. The sky didn't fall. If anything it rose today.

3-3 and we won all bets

we could be the Chiefs..or worse, the Jets

I just thought of all the teams we play this year, this was our best chance to win by an impressive margin and we didnt do it. That worries me a little but I'll get over it.

2008 Colts v Brown W 10-6

2005 Colts v Brown W 13-6

Darn...Shouldn't we win the by a lot more vs the Browns. We should send Peyton Manning and Tony Dungy mail with our concerns.

luck was inaccurate today Im very disappointed in his performance the running game and defense played well luck needs work

Andrew Luck is a rookie and he had a rookie game....He wont be good every week

but he DID score 2 TDs and threw no interceptions...

Hard for me to be disappointed in us winning

Posted · Hidden by Superman, October 22, 2012 - name calling
Hidden by Superman, October 22, 2012 - name calling

Darn...Shouldn't we win the by a lot more vs the Browns. We should send Peyton Manning and Tony Dungy mail with our concerns.

OP is a *

This post is perfect.

You sir have earned yourself a 'like'

Today our game plan obviously focused more on the run game. We rushed for almost 200 yards, with Andrew getting 2 TDs. I'm happy with the performance. I would rather us ground and pound, controlling the clock than be a Browns fan whose QB threw for 2 TDs in a loss.

The offense became conservative again. We are lucky Gordon dropped the TD.

I wish I could understand the criteria for becoming "conservative." Our first possession of the second half was moving along just fine with the ground game, and then Arians started calling slow-developing pass plays, resulting in a sack. Completely stalled the drive. The methodical and deliberate approach was working fine, and we should have stayed with it. For the first time this season, our run game looked like it could take the game over.

Then the next possession, we take another sack and throw incomplete again.

I didn't see a conservative approach in the second half. I saw a team that should have continued to milk the ground game because it was working. If anything, we tried to force the big pass play when it wasn't there.

I haven't gone through this thread to see how everyone reacted.... and I haven't seen the game....

I suspect we didn't do well defending Weeden for two reasons....

One, he's been playing better and better each week....

Two, he's been playing better because he's got a running game.

Three, I think we sold out to stop the run... and just glad that Weeden didn't beat us.

Again, just my hunch considering I haven't seen the game....

But this by no means was impressive just by reading the stats. I will go back and watch the game on NFL game rewind since I cant view the games down in Tennessee.

But Im hoping we have some better offensive performances than this. Cleveland was supposed to have a horrible pass defense. And hopefully our pass defense improves so we dont give up 250 yards and 2 TDs to a rookie QB in Weeden.

This early in our rookie's career...a win's a win.

I know it's win but...the Oline is still having issues protecting Luck. Improve Lucks protection and Luck's issues with accuracy and timing disappear. These issues will slowly diminish with experience but improving Lucks protection will eliminate those issues.

Well, those were the years Romeo Crennel was HC for the Browns. Crennel has posed problems for P. Manning in New England, Cleveland, and somewhat with the Chiefs. Peyton usually wins, after a long grind out low scoring game.

But the point is still made. Anyone can have trouble winning a game in the NFL vs. any opponent on any Sunday. They're all professionals, and they all draw a paycheck.

For those who think we should have beaten Cleveland by a large margin:

Browns average 21 points per game while we average 19.5.

Cleveland gives up just under 26 points a game while we give up just over 26 points a game.

The final score was just about what it should have been given our home field advantage.

Today our game plan obviously focused more on the run game. We rushed for almost 200 yards, with Andrew getting 2 TDs. I'm happy with the performance. I would rather us ground and pound, controlling the clock than be a Browns fan whose QB threw for 2 TDs in a loss.

Yeah, but if we 'ground and pound', he won't get the stats to 'out gun' Griffin, will he? ANd that appears to vex quite a few on here. Ignoring the fact we have a better record (for now).....