Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Safety swap?

needanoline63

Zib cant cover so I want to see joe he's faster an can tackle better

The safeties are just what their position is, and thats the safety net for CB's who blow their coverage. its easy to blame a safety but what about the CB who lets the guy go? for example the last play for jacksonville, CB got beat and he got beat bad up the middle and it resulted in a TD. if im not mistaken beathea was on that side and zybkowski was on the other end and was covering his sector like he should. bethea was covering his deep side like he was suppose to but who ever was covering that receiver blew his coverage because he was watching the QB instead of worrying about the receiver.

The safeties are just what their position is, and thats the safety net for CB's who blow their coverage. its easy to blame a safety but what about the CB who lets the guy go? for example the last play for jacksonville, CB got beat and he got beat bad up the middle and it resulted in a TD. if im not mistaken beathea was on that side and zybkowski was on the other end and was covering his sector like he should. bethea was covering his deep side like he was suppose to but who ever was covering that receiver blew his coverage because he was watching the QB instead of worrying about the receiver.

Here's an idea... Since I know better than the coaches, lets see Avery as OLB, DB should start at punter, let's move Vinatieri to DT, Bethea at QB, Luck at RT, and I think Freeney should return kickoffs... Super Bowl!!!

2-3 of our current D starters will still be starting 3 years from now. Zbik won`t be one of them that is for sure.

OK.....

Let's try to name them.... Bethea? He'll be approaching the end of his starting years I think...

Davis? Well, we gave up a 2nd round pick for him, a pick that will likely be in the top 50, so I hope he's one.

Powers? Maybe. But, honestly I look forward to the day when he's our nickel back.

Moala? Maybe? Chapman? He's not starting now, but he may by the end of the season?

Angerer, he's likely, perhaps better than 50% chance. Mathis? I'm guessing no, but could be wrong. Freeney? Long gone.

Interesting observation.... will be worth watching as the years unfold....

Sorry, but Bethea is as much to blame as Sergio Brown was because Bethea was NOT covering his part of the field like he should have been. He reacted to the outside receiver and made a move towards the sideline instead of staying in the middle of the field. That caused him to widen the middle of the field and lose position on the receiver that Brown got lost on. Had Bethea played his coverage as he was supposed to, that play doesn't go 80 yards.

Sorry, but Bethea is as much to blame as Sergio Brown was because Bethea was NOT covering his part of the field like he should have been. He reacted to the outside receiver and made a move towards the sideline instead of staying in the middle of the field. That caused him to widen the middle of the field and lose position on the receiver that Brown got lost on. Had Bethea played his coverage as he was supposed to, that play doesn't go 80 yards.

Sunday was not one of betheas better games that's for sure. He got caught thinking the play was going to go outside and paid for it. He also got blocked out on the long td run too. Unusual mistakes from bethea.

Sunday was not one of betheas better games that's for sure. He got caught thinking the play was going to go outside and paid for it. He also got blocked out on the long td run too. Unusual mistakes from bethea.

Absolutely agree! I was kind of disappointed of him when he let himself get blocked out of that run play. Usually he's the guy who slips through and makes that tackle. The way I look at it though is even your greats have games like that, and Sunday was his day. He's human and as you said those a very rare plays that are made by Bethea, and I'm sure he regrets them tremendously.

Here's an idea... Since I know better than the coaches, lets see Avery as OLB, DB should start at punter, let's move Vinatieri to DT, Bethea at QB, Luck at RT, and I think Freeney should return kickoffs... Super Bowl!!!

I'm not sure whether this response is entirely serious?!

I think Bethea is still a pro bowl calibre player talent wise, maybe not consistency wise but when your D has been a shambles for so long it's hard to judge that. Now we've had the first 3 real games and the bye week to reflect, heal and re-plan there may be few personnel changes for the starters. I would like to see Lefeged given a chance as Zib hasn't blown my mind so far. Maybe that's because, given his other interests, I expected a hard hitting destroyer at SS but to be honest I've barely noticed him.

Most likely the Defense was playing the sidelines so Jacksonville could not get out of bounds and stop the clock.

Ok but zibs sucks so far can you say that's not so?

I would like to see Lefeged play at free safety and move bethea to strong safety. Zbikowski is going nowhere fast. Him and Antonio Johnson are the weak links so far

Bethea is no strong safety. He is too light in the pants. If you want Lefeged to start, he should be at strong safety and Bethea continues to play the same position he has always played which is free saftey.

This is what I don't get, I would have thought with his background he would relish the contact.

Lefeged will come up and tackle and I've also seen him on more than one occasion intercept balls.

If Zibi doesn't turn it up a notch he'll be losing his starting position once again, just as he did in Baltimore.

Bethea is no strong safety. He is too light in the pants. If you want Lefeged to start, he should be at strong safety and Bethea continues to play the same position he has always played which is free saftey.

FS and SS is basically the same thing now. Bethea has proven he is a great tackler and an ironman. I think he would be as good at SS as he was at FS.

FS and SS is basically the same thing now. Bethea has proven he is a great tackler and an ironman. I think he would be as good at SS as he was at FS.

You're talking coverage wise. Strong Safeties are responsible for more run support than a free safety.

Bob Sanders had more run support responsibility than Bethea did. Bernard Pollard had more run support

responsibility than Quinn. I would laugh at Quinn if I saw him at strong safety being used as a tool against

stopping the run. Just not that physical.

I agree, i was telling my wife the same thing during the game. Im not sure i have seen Zib in the mix of any of the plays. Put Joe and see what he can do. I had alot of hope for Zib but, man i can seem to find that guy any where. One more thing, i dont know why we dont use Nevis more against the Offensive tackles, It seems with a guy of that build and speed he would have one heck of a bull rush and the guy never quits on a play. I say line him up on early downs on the outside almost like a LB

You're talking coverage wise. Strong Safeties are responsible for more run support than a free safety.

Bob Sanders had more run support responsibility than Bethea did. Bernard Pollard had more run support

responsibility than Quinn. I would laugh at Quinn if I saw him at strong safety being used as a tool against

stopping the run. Just not that physical.

I think Bob was used more in run support because of our bad front 7. As for Pollard, Reed isn't that great a tackler, but has all-world coverage ability, that's why he's staying at FR. I'm just saying Bethea is a great tackler and can get physical. He would do just as well at SS as at FS.

I think Bob was used more in run support because of our bad front 7. As for Pollard, Reed isn't that great a tackler, but has all-world coverage ability, that's why he's staying at FR. I'm just saying Bethea is a great tackler and can get physical. He would do just as well at SS as at FS.

Bethea can tackle, but his skill set is not best used as an in the box semi-LB. You can even blitz Bethea at times in spots, but he is best utilized as a center fielder back in coverage in most situations. There is a slight difference in the roles of a FS and SS when it comes to run support responsibilities. In pass coverage it's pretty similar for the most part. There are even some small differences in pass coverage at times.

zbikowski can't tackle and is bad in coverage. i think were gonna have to draft a ss.

Somewhere back in the draft threads we were asked what position we thought would be our top choice for draft. I think I remember saying Safety and it raised a few eyebrows. In reality I hope we grow as a team to the point that by the time the draft rolls around, we can draft for BPA, rather than drafting for need.

I'm not sure whether this response is entirely serious?!

I think Bethea is still a pro bowl calibre player talent wise, maybe not consistency wise but when your D has been a shambles for so long it's hard to judge that. Now we've had the first 3 real games and the bye week to reflect, heal and re-plan there may be few personnel changes for the starters. I would like to see Lefeged given a chance as Zib hasn't blown my mind so far. Maybe that's because, given his other interests, I expected a hard hitting destroyer at SS but to be honest I've barely noticed him.

I just wanted to give you props for using "a shambles" correctly in a sentence, as opposed to "in shambles."

None of our losses can be put down to the state of our safeties. So they haven't been perfect, in any possible meaning of the term, but what part of our team has?

So, yeah we could use an upgrade at safety, but doesn't that ring true for all other position with the exception of QB (provided we allow for Luck to grow and learn)?