Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Second thoughts maybe?

subvet

Any chance Jim Irsay is having second thoughts and is going to buy a lot of antacid in the next few months?

I know it was a business decision and second thoughts are not allowed but watching the game tonight PM sure didn't look too bad making that 4th quarter drive for the win. I am a Colts fan and back the new team--which really looked pretty good today--but I also thought something should have been done that would have kept Peyton until he chose to retire--as a Colt.

The decision was for the long term, not the short term. We all have this utopia of having the cake and eating it too, which would mean draft Luck at No.1 and let him learn under Peyton and then let Peyton go after 2 or 3 years.

To me, that would have only hurt both QBs, for different reasons. Right decision for the Colts all the way!!!

Now, if the Colts' O-line would protect Luck like Denver's did for the most part, we will get better!!! Rome was never built in a day and Peyton did not become the QB he is now in one year, so let us never forget that!!! :)

Both Luck and Peyton are in situations where they are both comfortable.

The decision was for the long term, not the short term. We all have this utopia of having the cake and eating it too, which would mean draft Luck at No.1 and let him learn under Peyton and then let Peyton go after 2 or 3 years.

To me, that would have only hurt both QBs, for different reasons. Right decision for the Colts all the way!!!

Now, if the Colts' O-line would protect Luck like Denver's did for the most part, we will get better!!! Rome was never built in a day and Peyton did not become the QB he is now in one year, so let us never forget that!!! :)

Both Luck and Peyton are in situations where they are both comfortable.

Great post

No. It doesn't change the fact that the Colts were still a bad team with aging and injured players. Manning was not going to win another ring here. I watched the game tonight and thought to myself how great Manning must feel to stand behind that O line without pressure immediately in his face. Irsay knew the risk with PR backlash on nights like tonight and still made the move so i doubt he is second guessing anything. It's just the reality, Manning is going to win games and the Colts are going to struggle. They were/are a bad team and are in the process of starting over. 5 years from now we could probably revisit this.

I hope they are having second thoughts. The move can be summarized as, "Peyton, even though you've been good to us all these years, we don't think you can do this for much longer." Basically a slap to the face of Peyton. They basically acted like he had reached Brett Favre status and was holding the team back. I believe Peyton still has at least another 2-3 good years in him before he starts declining. And even when Peyton does begin to decline he'll still be an above average QB.

Peyton has proven time and time again that he is reliable but the organization decided to put their faith in a rookie instead. Maybe Luck will be the next Big Ben, maybe he will be the next Vince Young. Who knows? However, even if Peyton weren't able to return at his maximum strength, his understanding of the defense and the game in general is greater than any QB in the league. That's more valuable than a rookie imo and when Peyton is unable to play years down the line, what greater mentor could you want?

But oh well, that's in the past now. Even with Peyton I'm pretty sure we would have lost that opener today.

I expect the Colts to be the new Detroit Lions for at least 2 seasons.

Edited by GuiltyFan

Even if Manning wins the Super Bowl this year I don't think Irsay will regret his decision. He made a move for the future, not the present, and that's respectable. What would have been maybe one more SB win with Manning could end up 2 or 3 with Luck.

No, it was ONE :edit: GAME

Not that I'm still regretting....but what we saw in Denver tonight is the first of dozens of Manning led slaughters we'll see for years to come.

History will be the judge of all this.

Even if Manning wins the Super Bowl this year I don't think Irsay will regret his decision. He made a move for the future, not the present, and that's respectable. What would have been maybe one more SB win with Manning could end up 2 or 3 with Luck.

The only scenario in which I, myself, would look back with disgust would be if Manning is winning titles in Denver for the next 5 years and my Colts struggle, never make the playoffs and Luck isn't here in 5 years. If that happens, Irsay could be fairly judged as having made the single biggest mistake in NFL history.

All that being said, I'm happy as a fan.

Not that I'm still regretting....but what we saw in Denver tonight is the first of dozens of Manning led slaughters we'll see for years to come.

History will be the judge of all this.

The only scenario in which I, myself, would look back with disgust would be if Manning is winning titles in Denver for the next 5 years and my Colts struggle, never make the playoffs and Luck isn't here in 5 years. If that happens, Irsay could be fairly judged as having made the single biggest mistake in NFL history.

Yep, true. And he would never hear the end of it, as long as he lives. I just wonder what people would feel more...resentment or happiness for Manning. It wasn't his decision to go, but if he lights it up for the next half a decade, there would undoubtedly be some ill will towards both he and a somehow-unsuccessful Luck.

Out of likes. Here you go. :clap:

"The decision" was handled terribly and a slap to Peyton's face.

Irsay flat out lied when he said something to the effect of, "If he's healthy, and wants to remain a Colt he can." Then he fell in love with Luck and did a 180. This wasn't just a slap in the face to Peyton, but to fans as well. Many either don't realize it or choose to ignore it and go with the owner's whims. Supporting Irsay over the guy who made the franchise relevant for over a decade. This is the worst thing to happen to a fanbase since "Mayflower." Both orchestrated by Irsays. (Non death/injury related, those are truly tragic)

Having said that, Peyton now has a legitimate shot at leading a team to a SB win or two before he retires. This as opposed to DRAGGING an iron ball through another season. This is good for him.

Meanwhile the Colts can, hopefully, build an Nfl quality football team instead of fielding...whatever it is they field usually. Realistically this is good for the Colts as well since Luck has a good chance to be a great QB. Maybe not the GOAT, but pretty darn good. It's highly unlikely Manning could lead the Colts to another SB in his twilight years, so this is good for Indy. Build toward the future.

I don't oppose or regret the result.

I oppose and regret how it was handled and the lie by Irsay. Manning should have been at least OFFERED a one year deal, with the understanding that Luck would be the draft pick and starter in one year's time. At which point Manning could retire a Colt, or try to go out with a bang on another football club. He deserved that choice. Basically he was given - we're taking Luck, thanks a lot, there's the door.

Pure poppycock.

The man that gave away Peyton....lol..j/k really we were in a no lose situation. The only way it could be messed up was to do something demeaning to Peyton on his way out. While Irsay started to get a little off base he quickly fixed it and we saw a nice respectful goodbye. Anyways we could keep Peyton and reload from trading the draft picks or take Luck and rebuild. I think in the end both team will be winners. I don't know if Peyton will ever get back to the SB or if we will either but I see plenty of success for both teams down the road. Peyton was a master...just made me happy to see him play well. If he retired after that game I could be happy. I saw what made me so lucky for the last dozen years or so with him orchestrating that offense and out manuevering Palamolu and the Steelers D.

I can say now I have two teams to watch and enjoy on Sunday. What's done is done and while I do think there could have been a plan that would have kept Peyton and we stayed successful I am going to just cheer for what we have. If I had to pick anyone besides Peyton to be our qb for the future....it would be Luck.

I apologize for my masked profanity. It's just these posts are outta hand. That's no excuse, though.

Public forum, reasonable question, within guidelines, and it is a question that will be asked again and again over the course of the season by fans and sportscasters so why can't it be said here?

Public forum, reasonable question, within guidelines, and it is a question that will be asked again and again over the course of the season by fans and sportscasters so why can't it be said here?

Because some people think if you question anything about the Colts or say they made a mistake...even on a play that you aren't a true fan and are taking a shot at them. I especially like it when people get sensitive about talking about Irsay or Grigson or Pagano. I'm not here to say we made a mistake...because it wasn't...we made a DECISION. We weren't a part of that decision so we just have to support our Colts in what ever form they take....but we can question decisions. This one I don't think we could get wrong like I said. I think we would have had success either way.

Because some people think if you question anything about the Colts or say they made a mistake...even on a play that you aren't a true fan and are taking a shot at them. I especially like it when people get sensitive about talking about Irsay or Grigson or Pagano. I'm not here to say we made a mistake...because it wasn't...we made a DECISION. We weren't a part of that decision so we just have to support our Colts in what ever form they take....but we can question decisions. This one I don't think we could get wrong like I said. I think we would have had success either way.

Or.... We think it's ridiculous to judge a decision after one game.

"The decision" was handled terribly and a slap to Peyton's face.

Irsay flat out lied when he said something to the effect of, "If he's healthy, and wants to remain a Colt he can." Then he fell in love with Luck and did a 180. This wasn't just a slap in the face to Peyton, but to fans as well. Many either don't realize it or choose to ignore it and go with the owner's whims. Supporting Irsay over the guy who made the franchise relevant for over a decade. This is the worst thing to happen to a fanbase since "Mayflower." Both orchestrated by Irsays. (Non death/injury related, those are truly tragic)

Having said that, Peyton now has a legitimate shot at leading a team to a SB win or two before he retires. This as opposed to DRAGGING an iron ball through another season. This is good for him.

Meanwhile the Colts can, hopefully, build an Nfl quality football team instead of fielding...whatever it is they field usually. Realistically this is good for the Colts as well since Luck has a good chance to be a great QB. Maybe not the GOAT, but pretty darn good. It's highly unlikely Manning could lead the Colts to another SB in his twilight years, so this is good for Indy. Build toward the future.

I don't oppose or regret the result.

I oppose and regret how it was handled and the lie by Irsay. Manning should have been at least OFFERED a one year deal, with the understanding that Luck would be the draft pick and starter in one year's time. At which point Manning could retire a Colt, or try to go out with a bang on another football club. He deserved that choice. Basically he was given - we're taking Luck, thanks a lot, there's the door.

Pure poppycock.

My thoughts, almost exactly! From a business standpoint, i completely understand and agree with going in the direction that Irsay did...but i do NOT like the way he handled it or the fact that he mislead the fans until after season ticket $$ was due...and then cuts Manning...

Chris Mortensen is VERY close to Peyton and his family, and he said that Peyton thought he was going to be a Colt until about a day before he was cut...that to me, is a slap in the face.

I don't understand why so many believe Peyton was lying when he said that the decision was mutual.

Multiple sources very close to Peyton and his family have said on the record, that Peyton thought he was going to be a Colt, up until a day or so before he was cut. That doesnt mean that Peyton was lying when he said it was a mutual decision...it just means that he's a very upstanding guy, still willing to do and say what he thought was best, for the team he still loved...and for anyone who thought otherwise, he showed some real genuine emotion at that press conference...definitely didnt look like a guy who expected to be, or wanted to be cut from the team.

Multiple sources very close to Peyton and his family have said on the record, that Peyton thought he was going to be a Colt, up until a day or so before he was cut. That doesnt mean that Peyton was lying when he said it was a mutual decision...it just means that he's a very upstanding guy, still willing to do and say what he thought was best, for the team he still loved...and for anyone who thought otherwise, he showed some real genuine emotion at that press conference...definitely didnt look like a guy who expected to be, or wanted to be cut from the team.

I agree that Peyton showed real genuine emotion at that press conference. But, I thought that Irsay did also.

It seems to me that many have tried and judged Irsay without all of the evidence. And, the important evidence that is missing is the content of their private conversation.

While it may very well have been that Peyton wanted to remain a Colt and thought he would remain a Colt even up until the time he sat down to talk with Irsay, we don’t know for a fact that he didn’t change his mind while speaking with Irsay.

Any chance Jim Irsay is having second thoughts and is going to buy a lot of antacid in the next few months?

I know it was a business decision and second thoughts are not allowed but watching the game tonight PM sure didn't look too bad making that 4th quarter drive for the win. I am a Colts fan and back the new team--which really looked pretty good today--but I also thought something should have been done that would have kept Peyton until he chose to retire--as a Colt.

Sure he has second thoughts...(he would never say that) but he made a long term business decision

...but in 5 years....Manning will probably and Luck will probably make the pro bowl...

He didnt wn at to gameble the long term for the short term.

But YES>>we are all (Irsay included) going to be at home in January while Denver and Peyton are in the playoffs.

Juts look at the back end of their schedule.

sub......Its a good question...and its one we'll ask for 5 years....

I was thinking the same thing watching highlights last night.

I'd have kept them both and worked it out..

,..but it doesn't bother me to have 'two teams' to root for...

The Colts-Bears was a little sad Sunday but Peyton and the Broncos made up for it...

i would bet that Jim Irsay is secretly rooting for Denver since they dont play the Colts

obviously your a peyton fan and a irsay basher, fine 1st amendment

but can you not spew your hatred all over this forum, there is a broncos forum where they will gladly accept it

I have no regrets! Just kidding.

Watching how Andrew got beaten up so much earlier yesterday, I kept saying that Peyton must be happy to be in Denver now. We have an actual O line. Thank goodness for that...

Flip side is Peyton is ready to go for a ready team while the colts are doing the future thing.

Btw does NE have to play you this year? :)

oh wow. that will be intense. I'm a Pats fan btw:)

Denver has always been tough for us..now add in Manning. However we got Josh back;)

You are! I root against the Pats mainly because of your coach. Sorry about that!

I saw Brady and his crew once as I live in his hometown. He was beyond gorgeous, but I tried not to stare too much :)

You are! I root against the Pats mainly because of your coach. Sorry about that!

I saw Brady and his crew once as I live in his hometown. He was beyond gorgeous, but I tried not to stare too much :)

haha. He got his nose whacked yesterday:)

One of the local reporters asked him in the press conference if that hurts the pretty boy image. stupid reporter :)

obviously your a peyton fan and a irsay basher, fine 1st amendment

but can you not spew your hatred all over this forum, there is a broncos forum where they will gladly accept it

I make it no secret that I'm a Manning fan but where was the bashing? I'm pretty sure alluding to antacids or second thoughts is merely opinion and conjecture.

As for "hatred" your reply had much more of it than my OP, maybe you should read your signature again, it works for me.

Yeah that would tick me off as well but I would be happy for Manning but thinking to myself, heeerrrrmmmmmmmm?