Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck Game One

GoColts8818

He did about as I expected. When the line gave him time to throw he looked pretty good. He lead a couple of nice drives. What he did at the end of the first half even though it didn't get points was really good.

He had a couple of bad luck INTs, there should have been a flag on the one where the ball was under thrown and it sure looked like the the Colts thought they had a free play. The other one was just a great play by the Bears that's going to happen. The fumble is a product of bad o-line play and Peppers just being in the right spot.

One thing I would be concerned about is he had some accuracy issues. He's a rookie QB playing his first game on the road against the Bears so I am not going to freak out over this. Just something I noticed. He over threw a few WRs today and it's just something he needs to work on based on this game that's all.

I remember Archie telling a story once of talking to Peyton after the first Pats game his rookie year when Peyton just had an awful game and his dad said Peyton told him "Dad no one is open." Luck had that look at times today and that's just something that is going to come in time.

All and all I'd say it was about on par with Manning's first outing as a QB. It wasn't great like RG3's but it wasn't as bad as Tannehill either.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am fine with today. This wasn't one of the games I truly expected to win no matter how much homerism I could dig up.

We were over matched in every area of the game. But, it will get better. The Bears sadly as much as I cannot stand them are a playoff team.

Injuries worry me though. Luck will be fine.

I am fine with today. This wasn't one of the games I truly expected to win no matter how much homerism I could dig up.

We were over matched in every area of the game. But, it will get better. The Bears sadly as much as I cannot stand them are a playoff team.

Injuries worry me though. Luck will be fine.

Yep the Colts look like they are team rebuilding against a team that is a playoff team. They should have a much better shot in the next two games.

Injuries are a concern. Redding hurt again and the Freeney one is huge IMO. I don't think it's just by chance that when he went out of the game the Colts defense went from playing very well to not being able to do anything. i know Freeney doesn't get the kind of production Colts fans would like but I've always thought he has some value because he draws attention that frees up the rest of the defense to make plays.

Yep the Colts look like they are team rebuilding against a team that is a playoff team. They should have a much better shot in the next two games.

Injuries are a concern. Redding hurt again and the Freeney one is huge IMO. I don't think it's just by chance that when he went out of the game the Colts defense went from playing very well to not being able to do anything. i know Freeney doesn't get the kind of production Colts fans would like but I've always thought he has some value because he draws attention that frees up the rest of the defense to make plays.

I think we have seen this all too much before. 2007 anyone?

I really hope it is not serious.

Then again at the same time didn't Marshall kill us when he was with Denver? Nightmares.....I get nightmares over this dude.

I think we have seen this all too much before. 2007 anyone?

I really hope it is not serious.

Then again at the same time didn't Marshall kill us when he was with Denver? Nightmares.....I get nightmares over this dude.

Hey only set an NFL record for receptions in a single game against us before lol.

Luck just threw INT number three. Arm strength is something to keep an eye on as well. Second time he's underthrown a ball on a deep pass throwing with the wind resulting in an INT.

Also where was this Tim Jennings when he was a Colt?

Not worried about Luck at all.

Loved seeing that drive at the end of the first half!

I am more concerned about our Defense...as always.

Commentator..."Tim Jennings" great player, Colts fans know all about this great player" Um no we don't. I only know if Tim Jennings when I was yelling at the TV as to why he was still on the team.

Hey only set an NFL record for receptions in a single game against us before lol.

Luck just threw INT number three. Arm strength is something to keep an eye on as well. Second time he's underthrown a ball on a deep pass throwing with the wind resulting in an INT.

Also where was this Tim Jennings when he was a Colt?

Soft dome QB who can only win indoors. ;) J/k but we did win two preseason games at home and lost two on the road. lmao

Watch us win the next two at home and get hammered in the next road game.

I did kinda predict we might be a decent to good home team but struggle on the road.

im ok with his game however that last INT is what the only thing that people have been knocking him since the draft...when he needs to throw deep he tends to lift that backfoot and his throws lack some zip because of that. he needs to correct that IMO.

I think when you're forced to throw the ball something like 45 times(don't know exactly how many attempts he had) mistakes are going to happen, especially for a rookie. BTW, don't think RG3 had a great game. His O-line and RB's had a great day, but most of his attempts were 5 yd. dump offs and his receivers got huge yds. after the catch. The Saints defense is awful.

I'll admit that it was wishful thinkiing on my part that they would win today. I'm not surprised at the outcome. Andrew Luck did OK , other than throwing 4 interceptions. He racked up the yards and definitely has a bright future in the league. It's bound to take some time for all the adjustments. This season one has to take it game by game. There will be good ones and bad ones. The comparisons to Manning's first NFL game were so similar.

I hope Freeney's injury isn't too serious. Have to wait and see if he'll be out awhile.

im ok with his game however that last INT is what the only thing that people have been knocking him since the draft...when he needs to throw deep he tends to lift that backfoot and his throws lack some zip because of that. he needs to correct that IMO.

Those underthrows had more to do with his feet than his arm.

Agree 1000%. Its hard to get your feet under you when you have your RG & LG in your face. That said like Mameluc said and I have said in a few other threads that Luck does not have great mechanics on deep throws. You actually saw it on both ints on the outside to Jennings. Luck lifted his back foot on both those deep sideline throws. It was noted time and again in draft analysis and why everyone agreed Griffen was a better deep ball thrower than Luck. Of course a lot of people didn't want to hear that about him but its simply the truth. They have been working on that in practice but when your in a game and the defense is crashing around you...you tend to fall back on bad habits.

I will say I was happy he wasn't fooled by the defense once or even looked over-whelmed. He looked under control and made the right decisions on nearly every single pass. It wasn't a matter of reading defenses or making bad decisions...just poor throws. That is correctable....just like Peyton as a rookie. You see what makes him special...and you see what he needs to work on.

Not worried about Luck at all.

Loved seeing that drive at the end of the first half!

I am more concerned about our Defense...as always.

Commentator..."Tim Jennings" great player, Colts fans know all about this great player" Um no we don't. I only know if Tim Jennings when I was yelling at the TV as to why he was still on the team.

Reason Jennings looked good was because the qb made two terrible throws. Jennings was beat bad on both and typically those result in big plays for the offense. With the Colts the opposing qbs made those throws and made him pay...Luck didn't. I will say though that both our secondary castoffs looked good. Hayden and Jennings played well. It just goes to show they are a perfect fit in a cover 2 defense. Difference today was the dline was getting pressure but if they aren't...those guys don't look nearly as impressive.

I'll admit that it was wishful thinkiing on my part that they would win today. I'm not surprised at the outcome. Andrew Luck did OK , other than throwing 4 interceptions. He racked up the yards and definitely has a bright future in the league. It's bound to take some time for all the adjustments. This season one has to take it game by game. There will be good ones and bad ones. The comparisons to Manning's first NFL game were so similar.

I hope Freeney's injury isn't too serious. Have to wait and see if he'll be out awhile.

3*

Anyone see the comparrisons between Manning and Luck's first NFL games? Almost identical. I have NO worries about Luck. He will be great. However its vital they fix the O-line. I mean seriously!!! They can't protect the QB or give him enough time to properly get rid of the ball. And we won't ever have a good running game if they can't learn to run block. Like always, the D needs to learn how to cover a reciever instead of always leaving them wide open. You just can't stand 10 yrd away from ANY reciever. They still have problems stopping the run. Same problems they've had for years. Hopefully the new coaching staff will notice all this after watching the film and make some dire changes/improvements. I think today was good in hopes that they will really study the film and be able to make the changes they need to make to fix these problems. They could learn allot from watching the film and I hope they do...

If he's playing from behind, behind pathetic protection, surrounded by rookies, often in 2nd and 3rd and long, throwing 42 times a game, this is how it will look every week. This is going to take time. He's walking into a 2-14 team that was one of the worst football teams I've ever seen. He's not exactly walking into a Roethlisberger or Flacco-type situation. If he were walking into such a situation, he could win now. He's good enough to win now. He's just not good enough at the moment to be Superman, to be Peyton Manning, and carry a pathetic team.

And those arose after he was knocked around 10 times, like they do for any QB who is hit that much... Brady, Manning, anyone.

Hey way to cherry pick a post and not include the part where I said It was one game and I am not that concerned about it.

With that said not all of that was when he was getting hit. Some were just over throws yes he was rushed on a couple of them but the two over throws to Wayne on 3rd down in-particular are throws QBs like Brady and Manning would would have made.

He's a rookie and I don't think anyone is even disappointed with his play today. There were somethings that need to be worked on and footwork (which he said himself if you listen to the broadcasters) and accuracy are two of them. I am sure they will and I am sure they will get better and Luck will be just fine. Like I also said it was very much like Manning's first game and while we expect him to get better it's not being hard on him to say hey these are areas he needs to get a little better at.

I was very disappointed in his deep ball throws, some over throws and I didn't expect 3 interceptions, but still 300+ yards is pretty good and his teammates other than Wayne certainly weren't bailing him out. (I.E. Brown on dropped passes)

I think he'll come out next week at home and get it together... (A game in which I'll be in attendance :D)

Rattled.

In a word, that's what Andrew looked like to me. And he hasn't looked rattled in a game to that extent since 2009, his first year as a starter at Stanford. He had moments in each of the last two games against Oregon, but not the whole game. And he looked pretty rattled for the vast majority of this game.

The problem is..... he had good reason to be rattled. The offensive line got overwhelmed today. Completely overwhelmed. Even when Luck got passes off, more times than not he was under tremendous pressure. My only hope is that he get through the whole season un-hurt. And that may be a tall order.

We had a spotty running game. We had some dropped passes. But, to this credit, Reggie Wayne had at least 3 fantastic catches, so there is that.

And the defense also looks spotty. It's much easier to play defense when you're dictating the terms. And when you're playing catch-up as the Colts offense was forced to play for 3 quarters, then you're in trouble.

Hope none of the injuries are too serious. But lots of guys left the game before it was over. Here's hoping they're back in a week.

Reason Jennings looked good was because the qb made two terrible throws. Jennings was beat bad on both and typically those result in big plays for the offense. With the Colts the opposing qbs made those throws and made him pay...Luck didn't. I will say though that both our secondary castoffs looked good. Hayden and Jennings played well. It just goes to show they are a perfect fit in a cover 2 defense. Difference today was the dline was getting pressure but if they aren't...those guys don't look nearly as impressive.

The pick in the endzone wasnt a horrible throw. It wasnt great but it was a GREAT play by Jennings. Luck will learn he needs to put that higher and more towards the back of the endzone.

Rattled.

In a word, that's what Andrew looked like to me. And he hasn't looked rattled in a game to that extent since 2009, his first year as a starter at Stanford. He had moments in each of the last two games against Oregon, but not the whole game. And he looked pretty rattled for the vast majority of this game.

The problem is..... he had good reason to be rattled. The offensive line got overwhelmed today. Completely overwhelmed. Even when Luck got passes off, more times than not he was under tremendous pressure. My only hope is that he get through the whole season un-hurt. And that may be a tall order.

We had a spotty running game. We had some dropped passes. But, to this credit, Reggie Wayne had at least 3 fantastic catches, so there is that.

And the defense also looks spotty. It's much easier to play defense when you're dictating the terms. And when you're playing catch-up as the Colts offense was forced to play for 3 quarters, then you're in trouble.

Hope none of the injuries are too serious. But lots of guys left the game before it was over. Here's hoping they're back in a week.

I agree with you. Luck looked rattled but what can you expect from a rookie QB coming to a 2-14 team. His play will get better but I doubt if it results in too many wins.

The pick in the endzone wasnt a horrible throw. It wasnt great but it was a GREAT play by Jennings. Luck will learn he needs to put that higher and more towards the back of the endzone.

That pick wasn't Jennings. That was Chris Conte. Although I do think Jennings batted it up in the air. That was simply a forced throw. Not terrible it was a better defensive play then a poor throw. I will agree if that is high towards back of the end zone if it doesn't get caught it harmlessly goes out the back of the endzone. That said...the other two by Jennings....poor throws. He was beat on both badly and both were under thrown even worse. Those are two throws that should be made time and again and Luck has to continue to work on those. I understand he was being rushed pretty hard the whole game and had little room to step into those throws but again...he can't lift his back foot because he will come up short every time...just like we have been saying on those deep throws since he was drafted.

That pick wasn't Jennings. That was Chris Conte. Although I do think Jennings batted it up in the air. That was simply a forced throw. Not terrible it was a better defensive play then a poor throw. I will agree if that is high towards back of the end zone if it doesn't get caught it harmlessly goes out the back of the endzone. That said...the other two by Jennings....poor throws. He was beat on both badly and both were under thrown even worse. Those are two throws that should be made time and again and Luck has to continue to work on those. I understand he was being rushed pretty hard the whole game and had little room to step into those throws but again...he can't lift his back foot because he will come up short every time...just like we have been saying on those deep throws since he was drafted.

Yeah it was tipped and picked by Conte. I just saw the replay of the deep throw and it was a good idea by Luck but I agree he underthrew it. Luck does have the arm strength but he def. has a tendency to float passes at time.

Its a good learning experience for the rook.

Yeah it was tipped and picked by Conte. I just saw the replay of the deep throw and it was a good idea by Luck but I agree he underthrew it. Luck does have the arm strength but he def. has a tendency to float passes at time.

Its a good learning experience for the rook.

He floats them because at times....he lifts his back foot on his deep throws. If he keeps it planted he has more leverage and those balls don't float. We saw that in practice...and he worked on it and made progress but as we saw today...under pressure...its something that will take a lot longer to over come. People fall back on bad habits when pressured. I will say though that he made GREAT reads today. Threw to the open receiver time and again...it is clear he will be a great qb someday. Those are the things that rookies usually struggle with...or never get. He has that...he just has some mechanics to over come....that will get fixed with work and repetition...and hopefully a little more time to feel comfortable in the pocket. But don't kid yourself. He had flaws in college....some don't want to believe it....but this is something that can be easily over come. He will be fine. It was never a question of his arm strength...he has that....not in spades but plenty strong enough....so throwing a ball 70 yards he can do....but at times...on those deeper passes he lifts that back foot....causes him to lose accuracy and yes...float it.

He did about as I expected. When the line gave him time to throw he looked pretty good. He lead a couple of nice drives. What he did at the end of the first half even though it didn't get points was really good.

He had a couple of bad luck INTs, there should have been a flag on the one where the ball was under thrown and it sure looked like the the Colts thought they had a free play. The other one was just a great play by the Bears that's going to happen. The fumble is a product of bad o-line play and Peppers just being in the right spot.

One thing I would be concerned about is he had some accuracy issues. He's a rookie QB playing his first game on the road against the Bears so I am not going to freak out over this. Just something I noticed. He over threw a few WRs today and it's just something he needs to work on based on this game that's all.

I remember Archie telling a story once of talking to Peyton after the first Pats game his rookie year when Peyton just had an awful game and his dad said Peyton told him "Dad no one is open." Luck had that look at times today and that's just something that is going to come in time.

All and all I'd say it was about on par with Manning's first outing as a QB. It wasn't great like RG3's but it wasn't as bad as Tannehill either.