Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Front Office: Please Hire A Coach

TN_Colts_Fan_18

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don't compare Caldwell to Belichick or Reid.

They actually coach on Sunday. Caldwell stands their with his eyes moving left to right, but Belichick and Reid actually get involved in the team huddles on the bench and discuss scheme.

I don't mean to offend you in any way when I say this, but don't make statements like that, they make you sound ignorant. I agree with Reid and Belichick are much better coaches than Caldwell, but to say that Caldwell just stands there and doesn't get involved in the scheme or anything like that, that's simply not true. All head coaches get involved; they are head coaches, they must get involved. Unless you have been on the Colts sidelines for a game and followed everything Caldwell did, you can't say what you did credibly.

I don't mean to offend you in any way when I say this, but don't make statements like that, they make you sound ignorant. I agree with Reid and Belichick are much better coaches than Caldwell, but to say that Caldwell just stands there and doesn't get involved in the scheme or anything like that, that's simply not true. All head coaches get involved; they are head coaches, they must get involved. Unless you have been on the Colts sidelines for a game and followed everything Caldwell did, you can't say what you did credibly.

I've yet to see him in defensive or offensive huddle either in the games I've attended live, or on TV. Reid, Belichick, Ryan, etc, are always coaching, drawing up plays/defenses on a white board, etc.

When I see Caldwell do it, it will be the first. He might be talking on the head sets, but I have yet to see him do what the others have done. Dungy would rarely do it, but at times he would pull out a marker when talking to the defense. Nothing ignorant at all about it...

I've yet to see him in defensive or offensive huddle either in the games I've attended live, or on TV. Reid, Belichick, Ryan, etc, are always coaching, drawing up plays/defenses on a white board, etc.

When I see Caldwell do it, it will be the first. He might be talking on the head sets, but I have yet to see him do what the others have done. Dungy would rarely do it, but at times he would pull out a marker when talking to the defense. Nothing ignorant at all about it...

Have you followed Caldwell around for the whole game? I'm nearly 100% sure he has done the things you mentioned. The coaches you mentioned are just much more interesting than Caldwell, that's why you will see the camera focus on them more often or you will see them more often on NFL Sound FX. They did a whole show on Belichick, Sabol did a special on Reid, Ryan has been on Sound FX (I think) and he has part of Hard Knocks. Caldwell is not as interesting as those guys and he won't get as many viewers as Belichick or Reid, so you don't get as great an idea of what he does. I'm sure he gets involved in plays, talks to players during the game and has a say in game scheming.

Have you followed Caldwell around for the whole game? I'm nearly 100% sure he has done the things you mentioned. The coaches you mentioned are just much more interesting than Caldwell, that's why you will see the camera focus on them more often or you will see them more often on NFL Sound FX. They did a whole show on Belichick, Sabol did a special on Reid, Ryan has been on Sound FX (I think) and he has part of Hard Knocks. Caldwell is not as interesting as those guys and he won't get as many viewers as Belichick or Reid, so you don't get as great an idea of what he does. I'm sure he gets involved in plays, talks to players during the game and has a say in game scheming.

Every game? no I haven't. I don't go to games to watch him stand with his arms crossed. The most I've ever seen him do is talk to a group about to go on the field. But I have never seen him on the bench with a white board and marker. Has he? I would hope so. They might be more interesting, but on average I would say they show most of the coaches equally unless a call goes against a team and the coach is jawing at the officials like some are known to do. Like I said, Dungy wasn't one to do it often, but he would do it from time to time. Of course he was a defensive coordinator, and the others were coordinators or ran the offense/defense fro a team at some point. Something Caldwell hasn't done.

Every game? no I haven't. I don't go to games to watch him stand with his arms crossed. The most I've ever seen him do is talk to a group about to go on the field. But I have never seen him on the bench with a white board and marker. Has he? I would hope so. They might be more interesting, but on average I would say they show most of the coaches equally unless a call goes against a team and the coach is jawing at the officials like some are known to do. Like I said, Dungy wasn't one to do it often, but he would do it from time to time. Of course he was a defensive coordinator, and the others were coordinators or ran the offense/defense fro a team at some point. Something Caldwell hasn't done.

What's wrong with him talking to a group about to go onto the field? I thought you said one of his problems was that he doesn't discuss scheme or talk to players in a huddle.

What's wrong with him talking to a group about to go onto the field? I thought you said one of his problems was that he doesn't discuss scheme or talk to players in a huddle.

I'm not sure what I said to make you think that there was anything wrong with it. I said one of my problems is that he's never involved in coaching the O or D up. Huge difference in saying Be Aggressive, Go Get Em and actually drawing up how to attack a Defense or an Offense. I just don't see how you formed the opinion that you did about my last post. Another supreme performance out of the man at sleep at the wheel.

I'm not sure what I said to make you think that there was anything wrong with it. I said one of my problems is that he's never involved in coaching the O or D up. Huge difference in saying Be Aggressive, Go Get Em and actually drawing up how to attack a Defense or an Offense. I just don't see how you formed the opinion that you did about my last post. Another supreme performance out of the man at sleep at the wheel.

Peyton takes care of the offense and Coyer is our guy for the defense. I'm sure Caldwell has a say in gameplanning on both sides of the ball, but Coyer and Manning/Christensen are the main guys for the D and O. I have no problem with the way our coaching is set up; I know on some teams, the head coach may have a stronger say on one or both sides of the ball. For example, Rex Ryan does a lot of work with the defense since he is a defensive-minded head coach. From what I've read, Belichick has a very strong say on both sides of the ball. You'll hear people talk about a Rex Ryan coached defense or a Belichick led defense, but you will never hear someone talk about the Colts and say they are a Caldwell led defense or a Caldwell led offense. Manning and Christensen lead the offense, Coyer leads the D. I'm fine with the way we have it set up, Caldwell has a say in it all, but he lets the coordinators (and Manning) do their thing. I'm 100% sure you know this, but there's more to being a head coach than just gameplanning.

This team is garbage without Manning and I think it is showing that. I'm not saying let's hire a new coach with the season getting ready to start. I'm just wondering when the Colts organization is going to get serious and hire a coach. Does anybody not realize the only reason this team wins is because of Peyton Manning. When he is gone let's see how well Caldwell can coach.

Wait, you're telling me that a team without it's Pro Bowl, Hall of Fame, :goat: record setting amazing rocket laser armed quarterback is significantly worse? What?! This is news to me. I actually thought we'd be a markedly better team without Manning...

:facepalm: You can't take that kind of talent away from ANY team in the league without there being a significant drop off. Especially when said person takes up such a large portion of your salary cap. This thread is ridiculous and I can't believe this thought even popped into the head of a normal human being.

Heh heh heh, Jamarcus as a Colt... rotflmao

So Manning leads the team to the Super Bowl, but Caldwell is credited with the loss? That seems like a bit of a double standard. If Garcon doesn't drop the throw, we win. If Baskett catches the kick, we win. If the defense doesn't play so softly, we win. Yeah, I think Caldwell got outcoached, but to say that Manning led us there and Caldwell lost it for us is a little too much. It's a team sport, not an individual sport.

Mudd preferred smaller O-linemen who were fast; we are trying to get bigger in the trenches to improve our running and run stopping. Mudd's principles didn't agree with what the team wanted to do in the future. As for Moore, I wouldn't say it was that big of a loss. Manning knows our playbook better than anyone and he still has Christensen who has been with the team for many years. Caldwell was (I'm not sure if he still is) the Colts' QB coach, so he is offensive-minded as well. Regardless of who is coaching, Manning will be Manning and will be in charge of the offense.

Keep in mind that 2 of Caldwell's first moves were to get rid of Meeks, whose defenses were getting run over all the time unless Bob was playing, and Purnell. While our special teams haven't gotten much better with Rychleski, I don't think they have gotten worse. I prefer Coyer's defense to Meeks' defense.

when a teams wins everyone thinks they have a great coach. a coach cant play for the players but he can cut those who cant meet his standards,he can only work with the players he gets.not every team can get big names but caldwell gets alot out of no names.i like how he got chip out of the game and also threw the red flag on the carter fumble, even Belichick makes a bad call sometimes give caldwell support. i dont like his no emotion but the colts can still win with him

Jon Gruden should be hired as head coach at season's end, regardless of how this year goes.

For the record, Gruden has to be one of the most overrated HC of the last 10 years. Check what happened to the Buccs after his first full year. The guy destroyed what was a great team.

The fact he won the SB with a stacked D that had loads of players in their prime (a D built by Dungy btw) doesnt impress me a bit. He destroyed the Buccs, plain and simple.

Lets see? other than the fact that he makes stupid decisions, hes a good coach? Does that make sense?

He doesn't always make stupid decisions, he sometimes makes stupid decisions. Same thing can be said for every coach in the NFL. Belichick's 4th and 2 call was a stupid decision, but he is still the best coach in the game today.

He doesn't always make stupid decisions, he sometimes makes stupid decisions. Same thing can be said for every coach in the NFL. Belichick's 4th and 2 call was a stupid decision, but he is still the best coach in the game today.

Thing is tho, he did so because he was afraid of the best player the NFL has seen in the last 20 years. Its called fear. Thats understandable.

However, some of Caldwell decisions are hm, puzzling to say the least. Thats what I think, despite thinking this thread makes no sense considering its the start of the season and there's just no way a HC gets canned at this moment of a season, unless he's coaching for the Bills or Raiders :P

Thing is tho, he did so because he was afraid of the best player the NFL has seen in the last 20 years. Its called fear. Thats understandable.

However, some of Caldwell decisions are hm, puzzling to say the least. Thats what I think, despite thinking this thread makes no sense considering its the start of the season and there's just no way a HC gets canned at this moment of a season, unless he's coaching for the Bills or Raiders :P

It's understable because it means to Colts fans that BB is admiting Manning is the best player in the league and Colts fans just like that. Had Caldwell done the same to Brady we would be screaming for Caldwell to be fired. It was a stupid call by BB. You noticed in the same spot this past year in New England the Pats punted and it worked out for them.

Yeah, fire a coach that has won 75% of his regular season games, is 2-2 in the playoffs and took the team to the SB. With decision making skills like that, I wonder why Irsay doesn't fire the entire front office and just do Polls on the forum.

What a wonderful idea! Colts go 0-16 for the next 5 years, stock up #1 draft talent and continue to lose. Colts forum loses all its members because they kill each other off when they get blamed for teams woes.

As we saw with Cable, the way to get fired from the Raiders is to have the team improve during your time there and show some promise and success

I'm just wondering if there are any other Colts fans out there that agree with me that they should hire a head coach? Why does it seem that this front office has never been committed to hiring a coach? Tony Dungy road Manning's coat tail the whole time he was here and it seemed as when they promoted Jim Caldwell, it was a joke. With possibly the best and smartest QB in the history of the NFL, why can't they just get Manning a head coach to work with. Jim Caldwell couldn't coach a little league football team and he is only here because Mannning has made him look good over the past 2 years. Without Manning this team wins 3 games at most, but without Manning and a head coach that can actually read a playbook, this team could compete. Is anyone with me on this?

I agree with the OP.

I have.

I have.

Congratulations. Funny you didn't mention it the first time you responded to that post.

Oh and for the record, I'm not talking about talking to 3-4 guys or the kicking team going out to mishandle an onside kick, I'm talking about on the bench, with a white board, drawing up x's & o's.

That's what I'm talking about. Dungy rarely did it, and I've yet to see Caldwell do it.

Oh and I hope to god he has. It should occur each and every game, so it wouldn't surprise me if he has, I've just never seen it, and notice other coaches doing it quite often.

Similar to this:

belichicksideline.jpg

Congratulations. Funny you didn't mention it the first time you responded to that post.

Oh and for the record, I'm not talking about talking to 3-4 guys or the kicking team going out to mishandle an onside kick, I'm talking about on the bench, with a white board, drawing up x's & o's.

That's what I'm talking about. Dungy rarely did it, and I've yet to see Caldwell do it.

Similar to this:

belichicksideline.jpg

I've only responded to your post once.

I've seen Caldwell huddled up with groups of players, both on offense and defense, several times over the past two years. It's not a rare sighting at all. I don't recall seeing him holding a clipboard going over X's and O's, but he's not an X's and O's coach. Never been an NFL coordinator (which I think is one of the reasons he's struggled with game management at times). You didn't specify that you were talking about a strategic huddle, diagramming plays.

If that's your criteria for whether he's a good coach or not, then I'll just have to disagree on that. I don't think it has anything to do with whether one is a good coach or not. Not that Dungy was the best coach of all time, but he's generally regarded as a good one, and you mention yourself that this is something Dungy rarely did.

Edit: This is neither here nor there, but I wouldn't compare any current NFL head coach to Belichick. He's a unique cat, in that he specializes in football, not offense or defense or special teams or offensive line play or secondary play, etc. He specializes in all of it. That's not the case for most NFL head coaches.

I've only responded to your post once.

I've seen Caldwell huddled up with groups of players, both on offense and defense, several times over the past two years. It's not a rare sighting at all. I don't recall seeing him holding a clipboard going over X's and O's, but he's not an X's and O's coach. Never been an NFL coordinator (which I think is one of the reasons he's struggled with game management at times). You didn't specify that you were talking about a strategic huddle, diagramming plays.

If that's your criteria for whether he's a good coach or not, then I'll just have to disagree on that. I don't think it has anything to do with whether one is a good coach or not. Not that Dungy was the best coach of all time, but he's generally regarded as a good one, and you mention yourself that this is something Dungy rarely did.

Edit: This is neither here nor there, but I wouldn't compare any current NFL head coach to Belichick. He's a unique cat, in that he specializes in football, not offense or defense or special teams or offensive line play or secondary play, etc. He specializes in all of it. That's not the case for most NFL head coaches.

I must have confused you with another poster... My apologies.

I've seen him with groups, but the part that I was talking about was the way Belichick, Rex Ryan, Parcells among others are somewhat rolling up their sleeves and going to work on what's troubling the team at any given point in time. Later in on in one post I'm fairly certain I expanded on it, but in the post you quoted I said huddle, and I meant bench type huddle as opposed to a group about to go on the field.

Like you said, he was never a coordinator and that is a glaring weakness in my opinion and one of the reasons I wished he wasn't hired to start with. It's not the lone criteria, but it is a part of it. If a team comes out in something different and unexpected you can't wait till halftime to address it and I've not seen him as active as others that have been mentioned. You are right Belichick is a different being. It's going to be interesting and yet depressing to watch that special on him to see how advanced he is compared to what we have. Belichick is the type that any assistant coach on his staff could be kidnapped, and he could step in and run the QB, TE's, DL, LB's, special teams and of course he could fill in for the video guy too, but he is different.

You can come up with a more glowing apology than that, can't you??? ;)

I've seen him with groups, but the part that I was talking about was the way Belichick, Rex Ryan, Parcells among others are somewhat rolling up their sleeves and going to work on what's troubling the team at any given point in time. Later in on in one post I'm fairly certain I expanded on it, but in the post you quoted I said huddle, and I meant bench type huddle as opposed to a group about to go on the field.

Perhaps. But Belichick has been in the NFL for almost 40 years. He's coached every unit. He was a defensive coordinator under the legendary Parcells. Of course he's going to get down to basics whenever there's something troubling his team. Same for Rex Ryan, who was one of the absolute best defensive coordinators for years. I don't want Caldwell doing that. I don't want most coaches doing that. I don't even like having a head coach being a playcaller. My ideal head coach, unless he's a mold-breaker like Hoodie, is a big picture guy who delegates to his coordinators, because the coordinators and their assistants are the specialists.

It's not one of my criteria when I'm judging my head coach. I don't think the fact that Caldwell isn't grabbing a clipboard and redirecting the offense means he's not a good head coach. That's Clyde Christiansen's job. I don't want him adjusting the secondary after a big pass play. I want him to tell Alan Williams to get the secondary straightened out, and then I want to see Alan Williams adjusting the secondary.

I have no problem with him chewing a player out after a dumb mistake, like he did with Chip Vaughn the other night, but X's and O's should be left to coordinators and positions coaches. That's my opinion. If he huddles with Manning, that's fine; he was the quarterbacks coach for eight years.

Like you said, he was never a coordinator and that is a glaring weakness in my opinion and one of the reasons I wished he wasn't hired to start with. It's not the lone criteria, but it is a part of it. If a team comes out in something different and unexpected you can't wait till halftime to address it and I've not seen him as active as others that have been mentioned. You are right Belichick is a different being. It's going to be interesting and yet depressing to watch that special on him to see how advanced he is compared to what we have. Belichick is the type that any assistant coach on his staff could be kidnapped, and he could step in and run the QB, TE's, DL, LB's, special teams and of course he could fill in for the video guy too, but he is different.

Like I said, I think 31 teams in the NFL are sad that they don't have Belichick, and I bet 20 of those 31 teams are happy with who they have. He's a different dude. He has an aptitude for football like no one else. Look at his resume. He's been the tight ends coach, receivers coach, assistant special teams coach, then went over to defense and coached virtually every unit there. By the time he got a #1 gig, he had been a coordinator for Parcells for five years, winning two Super Bowls. Then after all that experience, he still failed with the Browns, and went back to working under Parcells as a coordinator for another three years. He's been the de facto GM since he joined the Patriots. Whenever he loses a coordinator, he basically takes the job over while training the next guy to do it.

There simply is no one like Bill Belichick. I disliked him for a long time, especially after he stonewalled the reporter after the AFCCG, and then Spygate and all the running up the score in 2007. But you can't not appreciate his prowess. It's almost wizardry. There's no sense in comparing anyone to him, much less a guy going into his third year who has never even been a coordinator. Of course Caldwell is no Belichick. There's a lot of room between "decent" and "Belichick" on the NFL coaching scale.

I do not think one of the standards on the quality of a coach is whether or not they use x and o on a white board during the course of a game. To me there are different kinds of coaches and leaders. Caldwell is clearly a delegator and enables his coaches to make decisions and changes in the course of a ball game. You cite BB and he goes about it differently. Does not mean that either one is right or wrong and most certainly does not speak to Caldwell's deficencies.

You can come up with a more glowing apology than that, can't you??? ;)

Sorry but I don't glow.

Perhaps. But Belichick has been in the NFL for almost 40 years. He's coached every unit. He was a defensive coordinator under the legendary Parcells. Of course he's going to get down to basics whenever there's something troubling his team. Same for Rex Ryan, who was one of the absolute best defensive coordinators for years. I don't want Caldwell doing that. I don't want most coaches doing that. I don't even like having a head coach being a playcaller. My ideal head coach, unless he's a mold-breaker like Hoodie, is a big picture guy who delegates to his coordinators, because the coordinators and their assistants are the specialists.

It's not one of my criteria when I'm judging my head coach. I don't think the fact that Caldwell isn't grabbing a clipboard and redirecting the offense means he's not a good head coach. That's Clyde Christiansen's job. I don't want him adjusting the secondary after a big pass play. I want him to tell Alan Williams to get the secondary straightened out, and then I want to see Alan Williams adjusting the secondary.

I have no problem with him chewing a player out after a dumb mistake, like he did with Chip Vaughn the other night, but X's and O's should be left to coordinators and positions coaches. That's my opinion. If he huddles with Manning, that's fine; he was the quarterbacks coach for eight years.

Like I said, I think 31 teams in the NFL are sad that they don't have Belichick, and I bet 20 of those 31 teams are happy with who they have. He's a different dude. He has an aptitude for football like no one else. Look at his resume. He's been the tight ends coach, receivers coach, assistant special teams coach, then went over to defense and coached virtually every unit there. By the time he got a #1 gig, he had been a coordinator for Parcells for five years, winning two Super Bowls. Then after all that experience, he still failed with the Browns, and went back to working under Parcells as a coordinator for another three years. He's been the de facto GM since he joined the Patriots. Whenever he loses a coordinator, he basically takes the job over while training the next guy to do it.

There simply is no one like Bill Belichick. I disliked him for a long time, especially after he stonewalled the reporter after the AFCCG, and then Spygate and all the running up the score in 2007. But you can't not appreciate his prowess. It's almost wizardry. There's no sense in comparing anyone to him, much less a guy going into his third year who has never even been a coordinator. Of course Caldwell is no Belichick. There's a lot of room between "decent" and "Belichick" on the NFL coaching scale.

It's really not fair to compare him to Belichick. I agree that there is a ton of room between "Decent" and Belichick" and Caldwell on his best day might be decent. Caldwell is more of a CEO and guys like Rex Ryan are more hands on. It's likely a good thing he's not over there drawing up how to shut down Andre Johnson or Arian Foster, or trying to come up with a combo route on the fly to try to trick Revis. Someone accused me once of having too high of standards. Maybe there is some truth to it... I guess I just want more for the team than I feel they can or will receive at this point. I won't apologize for that whether it's glowing or not.

Sorry but I don't glow.

Had a feeling...

It's really not fair to compare him to Belichick. I agree that there is a ton of room between "Decent" and Belichick" and Caldwell on his best day might be decent. Caldwell is more of a CEO and guys like Rex Ryan are more hands on. It's likely a good thing he's not over there drawing up how to shut down Andre Johnson or Arian Foster, or trying to come up with a combo route on the fly to try to trick Revis. Someone accused me once of having too high of standards. Maybe there is some truth to it... I guess I just want more for the team than I feel they can or will receive at this point. I won't apologize for that whether it's glowing or not.

I don't think wanting a really good or even great coach is too high a standard. I just don't necessarily agree with your criteria for judging whether a coach is good or not, in particular your idea of him coaching individual units on X's and O's. And anyone else whose criteria is in part or in whole Caldwell's facial expression or general demeanor on the sideline. I think it's totally irrelevant.

To my mind, I think the team is prepared on gameday with a solid gameplan. We don't get blown out. We've fallen behind, and made adjustments to get back in the game and even win. We've overcome injuries and other setbacks. I think all of that is a testament to good coaching, among other things. There are also decisions that have concerned me. I haven't given Caldwell a vote of confidence. I just don't put a lot of stock in most of the criticisms against him.

Had a feeling...

I don't think wanting a really good or even great coach is too high a standard. I just don't necessarily agree with your criteria for judging whether a coach is good or not, in particular your idea of him coaching individual units on X's and O's. And anyone else whose criteria is in part or in whole Caldwell's facial expression or general demeanor on the sideline. I think it's totally irrelevant.

To my mind, I think the team is prepared on gameday with a solid gameplan. We don't get blown out. We've fallen behind, and made adjustments to get back in the game and even win. We've overcome injuries and other setbacks. I think all of that is a testament to good coaching, among other things. There are also decisions that have concerned me. I haven't given Caldwell a vote of confidence. I just don't put a lot of stock in most of the criticisms against him.

It's more of the experience of being a coordinator for a number of years that I prefer over the being able to roll up the sleeves & do something on Sunday but that would be nice too, and even then it is usually limited to the coach doing that for one side of the ball because there aren't too many Belichick's out there. I could careless about his demeanor. You have fools that blow up and yell and you have good coaches that blow up and yell, and the same can be said about the ones that are more soft spoken. I've mentioned it before I think Caldwell would be great for some teams. An expansion team or a young team, and even in a more of an executive position. I just find him far too inexperienced to be in charge of a team like the Colts and I believe it really does suck when it seems like they are held back by mistakes that seem like he's learning on the fly. Belichick makes mistakes, or bad decisions too. The 4th & 2, was a calculated risk, and it didn't workout for his team, but I certainly trust his calculating mind more than Caldwell's, especially when he's been so stubborn to even bat an eye at the possibility that he made a mistake in the Jags or Jets game. I guess when I see some of the other options that were available when he was hired, its just frustrating.

• 1 month later...

To everyone who bashed my topic when I posted this back in August. I'm sorry you guys were right! Caldwell is doing such a good job with this team! Looks like we may be on our way to a record setting year. Yeah, we are going to be right up there with 76' Bucs and the 08' Lions. Again, sorry everyone for making such a far-fetched statement back in August to fire such a great coach.

Yeah, fire a coach that has won 75% of his regular season games, is 2-2 in the playoffs and took the team to the SB. With decision making skills like that, I wonder why Irsay doesn't fire the entire front office and just do Polls on the forum.

other than him stumbling into a lucky position give one good example of his great coaching you always support. and something other than he took us to a super bowl. my 15 year old son would have his numbers. he is lost and over his head. my word! wake up he is turning this rolls royce into to a yugo!