Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My 2013 Free Agent Wish List

The Peytonator

Safety

I know the jury is out on Zibby, but my optimism is not very high for him. He might be about as good as Bullitt, but that wouldn't be saying much. I see him as an adequate backup that is forced to be a starter right now, not a long term solution.

William Moore – Falcons

Jairus Byrd – Bills

The market for quality Safeties in free agency is low. There just aren't a ton of elite ones out there, and when a team has an elite one, they normally keep him. William Moore is not elite, but he is definitely a plus starter that can do everything that is asked of him. A much better player than Zib and would make Bethea even better next to him. I had to include Jairus Byrd because I'm a dreamer. After Weddle and Reed, he is the best Free Safety in the league. Bethea would move to SS and we'd have the best Safety tandem around. I don't know what Buffalo's cap situation will be, but I do know they have a lot invested in that Dline and other choice players. Hopefully we see Jairus hit the market and Grigson want to improve the Safety position. Byrd playing center field, Bethea playing in the box and roughing up TEs......Awwww Yeeeaaahhh!!!!

Cornerback

Getting Vontae Davis is a huge first step for this secondary, but we're not done yet. Powers, while he's earned something of a soft spot from us Colts fans, is not proven in the man coverage scheme. I think he'll be alright, especially with Davis taking the #1 WRs. The other issue though is his knack for ending up on IR. I hope he changes that this year, but I also wouldn't want the FO to overpay for an extremely average, injury prone CB. Either way, you can never have too many Corners, especially with the way the league is using 3 or 4 WRs at a time.

Mike Jenkins – Cowboys

Nate Clements – Bengals

Bradley Fletcher – Rams

Sheldon Brown – Browns

Antoine Cason – Chargers

Kyle Arrington – Patriots

Chris Houston – Lions

Derek Cox – Jaguars

Adam Pacman Jones - Bengals

Brice McCain – Texans

Sean Smith – Dolphins

Cary Williams - Ravens

I have no idea how much these guys would garner on the market, but they are all solid as #2 man corners at the very least. Clements, Cason, Houston, and Cox are all good enough to be 1's. I know a lot of you would look at Pacman Jones and say 'no thanks', but the dude has some freakish talent. As far as I know he's been keeping his nose clean of late, and I would love to have him. Obviously most of these guys will be retained by their respective teams, but for the ones that shake loose, I hope Grigson extends a monetary hand. Bradley Fletcher would be one to keep an eye on. He's been in the league 3 years. Didn't play much his rookie year. He broke out in his second year and grabbed 4 picks with 11 pass deflections. Then he got hurt last year and only played in 4 games. Now with the St. Louis changing of the guard, they've brought in Courtland Finnegan and Janoris Jenkins, he looks like the odd man out. He'll get limited reps and his price shouldn't be as high as his value actually is. But I digress......

Outside Linebacker

Whether or not this position will be a need remains to be seen. I really do not anticipate the FO wanting to give Freeney the kind of contract he'll be seeking. I do think Hughes will make the leap that we all hope for, and Mathis will do the same. After them who knows. Fugger might be alright. Addison might be alright. It's a crapshoot at this point for me.

Connor Barwin - Texans

Daryl Smith – Jaguars

Manny Lawson - Bengals

Shaun Phillips - Chargers

Getting an OLB might be more of a luxury this offseason, but man I like the above guys. Barwin is the ideal 3-4 OLB, and I don't foresee Houston letting him go. Daryl Smith has played 4-3 OLB his entire career, but he's the Robert Mathis of Jacksonville; just a football player that would make plays in any scheme. J-Ville's owner apparently doesn't like to pay his stars, and he would probably love nothing more than to get out of Florida. Lawson is a respected veteran, but I'm not totally sure he'd be worth spending free agency funds on. They were looking to sign him last offseason, so maybe they'd take another whirl at him next. Shaun Phillips is a baller, but probably pretty expensive.....and that's if SD let him go.

DLinemen

We've all been crying about our D-linemen for ages. They look to be a little better this year, but honestly I think we can do better than Ricardo Mathews and Fili Moala. If Moala plays well enough, we can re-sign him, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. He is so hit and miss it's not even funny. Mathews shouldn't be any higher on the depth chart than 3rd string, but we're one injury to Redding or Moala away from him being the starter. I still can't figure out why Nevis wouldn't get the nod over him.......

DT – Mike DeVito – Jets

DT – Desmond Bryant – Raiders

DT – Randy Starks – Dolphins

DT – Glenn Dorsey – Chiefs

DT – Ty Warren – Broncos

DT – Terrance Knighton – Jaguars

DT – Justin Bannan – Broncos

DT – Alan Branch – Seahawks

NT – Casey Hampton – Steelers

NT – Isaac Sopoaga – 49ers

When you look at your linemen, you want guys that can hold their ground and stop the run. The one thing these guys all have in common is their ability to make plays in that department. Bryant, Starks, and Warren are guys that can get to the QB too. At least some of these guys are going to enter Free Agency. Personally I'll be hoping for DeVito and Branch to find their way to our roster to play 5 Tech. Then Casey Hampton can come in and teach Chapman the ropes......he was his idol growing up right? The Defensive Line is where I'm most excited to see what happens next offseason.

Wide Receiver

Mike Wallace. That is all.

Big Uglies

I love Castonzo. I like Satele. Joe Reitz is my guy. Nobody likes the right side. What to do? I feel like Reitz would make for a pretty solid RT, but do we really want to move him from the LG spot he's grown into so nicely? Could Mike Tepper be the mauler at RG we'd all like to think he could be? Will Winston Justice ever figure it out and be worthy of his second round draft pick? I will admit, I like Justice more than most on here, but you can be sure I'd cast him aside like Philly did if we could get someone like Vollmer from NE.

OG – Kraig Urbik – Bills

OG – Chad Rinehart – Bills

OG – Andy Levitre – Bills

OG – Brandon Moore – Jets

RT – Phil Loadholt – Vikings

RT – Andre Smith – Bengals

RT – Sebastian Vollmer – Patriots

The Bills had a killer interior line last year. So they opted to keep both Rinehart and Urbik on 1 year deals. I imagine next offseason, with the addition of Cordy Glenn, and the fact that all 3 OGs are FAs, at least one of them will be going to Free Agency. Any of those guys could come here and block circles around McGlynn. Moore would also be nice, but he is getting a little up there and isn't quite as proficient at run blocking as he used to be. Loadholt is a monster, but he's a little slow footed against speed rushers. He would be impassable at RG with his length and girth (that came out wrong lol).

If we brought in two of the aforementioned Guards, bringing in a RT wouldn't be such a need. At least in my opinion, Reitz could be a beast at RT. If Cinci or NE lets them walk though, Andre Smith or SeBass would round out one heck of an offensive line. Before anyone says it, yes, I know Jake Long is a Free Agent next year. I do not want to mess up what Castonzo has been learning, just for a slight improvement at LT, along with more than a slight increase in cap spent on the position.

I'm no expert on the cap, but I believe we're somewhere around $50 mil under for next year. After re-signing Powers, Collie, and Patty Mac, we should still have a good $40 mil right? No need to re-sign Avery if we sign Mike Wallace. No need to re-sign Moala if we sign Mike DeVito. No need to re-sign Justice if we bring in a couple better big uglies. Man......I must be dreaming.

Bowe is not a Bruce Arians kind of WR. Arians looks for smaller, faster players to stretch the field. Bowe just pushes DBs around. Plus I've always kinda thought he was something of a selfish player. I'm really okay with everything we have at the position. Wallace would almost be a luxury, and I debated whether or not to actually put him on the list. He's gonna cost some coin. We'd have the money for sure, but I'm always hesitant to put too much into the position. I think with Wayne's age, and Collie's concussions, he becomes more of a need.

As for Clady, I really don't want to spend on a LT. I cannot understate this enough; Anthony Castonzo will be an All-Pro one day. I can't think of a single instance that his man has pressured Andrew this preseason. His run blocking will only improve too. Paying an arm and a leg for Jake Long or Ryan Clady would be counterproductive. There are other spots that need to be filled on the line more. I know a lot of people think Castonzo could just move over to RT. It might not be that simple. Sure some people do that, but he's been playing LT his entire football career. When you're used to shuffling to the left on pass pro, you build a muscle memory. Simply moving to the right side and shuffling a different direction may not be as easy as you think......especially in a game of inches and milliseconds. Let AC develop further, and fill the other spots with cheaper alternatives.

need a running back on this list

I would never go to FA to find a RB. They're such a high risk/medium reward position. Plus there are seriously zero RBs available until some of them start getting cut. Brown will be in his contract year next year, so he'll probably run harder, and Vick Ballard looks like a beast of a man.

I'drater us draft a WR but I pay no attention to ollege ball so I have no clue what this draft class is strong or weak on. We absolutely NEED to shore the trenches asap n would love to see us shore that up in fa while drafting elsewhere.

I would never go to FA to find a RB. They're such a high risk/medium reward position. Plus there are seriously zero RBs available until some of them start getting cut. Brown will be in his contract year next year, so he'll probably run harder, and Vick Ballard looks like a beast of a man.

A respectful recommendation....

Try not to use words like "never".... "never" is a very long time and circumstances change things sometimes.... What you might not do most of the time, you might do in special circumstances.

And though you didn't use it in this case, "always" is also not a great word. No one "always" does anything, good or bad. Saying it undercuts your message rather than supports it. (These are good ones to remember for when you get married and you get into inevitable fights!)

Just a different perspective from an older someone who has "always" made many mistakes and is trying "never" to do that any more!

:thmup:

A respectful recommendation....

Try not to use words like "never".... "never" is a very long time and circumstances change things sometimes.... What you might not do most of the time, you might do in special circumstances.

And though you didn't use it in this case, "always" is also not a great word. No one "always" does anything, good or bad. Saying it undercuts your message rather than supports it. (These are good ones to remember for when you get married and you get into inevitable fights!)

Just a different perspective from an older someone who has "always" made many mistakes and is trying "never" to do that any more!

:thmup:

haha Thank you for the friendly advice. Dealing in absolutes is 'never' a good practice. :)

You are very much correct though. There could be any number of situations in which I would want to get a RB in free agency. For the purposes of this discussion though, I do not foresee much of a need for our GM to go after any RB this offseason. I just feel like people always look at big name players when it comes to free agency (Jake Long), but fail to look at the smarter, and more economic players. Just trying to get people to think outside the box, and not talk about signing the T.O.s or Chad Ochocinco's of the world all the time.

haha Thank you for the friendly advice. Dealing in absolutes is 'never' a good practice. :)

You are very much correct though. There could be any number of situations in which I would want to get a RB in free agency. For the purposes of this discussion though, I do not foresee much of a need for our GM to go after any RB this offseason. I just feel like people always look at big name players when it comes to free agency (Jake Long), but fail to look at the smarter, and more economic players. Just trying to get people to think outside the box, and not talk about signing the T.O.s or Chad Ochocinco's of the world all the time.

Thanks for taking that so well.... and 'absolutes' was absolutely the word I was looking for but couldn't think of!

<<DOH!!!>> :slaphead: :facepalm:

I'drater us draft a WR but I pay no attention to ollege ball so I have no clue what this draft class is strong or weak on. We absolutely NEED to shore the trenches asap n would love to see us shore that up in fa while drafting elsewhere.

Agree,I'm sure Reggie won't play beyond his 3 yr contract.So,they need to find the next big time #1 guy.However they may already have him in hilton or brazill.Only time will tell.

Only Mike Wallace at receiver? Who else is going to be on the market next year, or do you think the Colts will go to the draft for wideouts?

I think Hilton and Brazill have shown their skills in preseason and I think they'll continue to get better. That said...I don't think we'll be needy for a big FA WR and I do think we might pick one up in the draft if the right guy is there. However...If we were to get Wallace or Bowe, that would cure our "Who is our #1 when Reggie retires?" woes.

'Scuse me?

Think of how much sense it makes economically.

Local bars and restaurants will make serious coin. The city would then be forced to hire more police/paramedics/firemen. It's brilliant.

Politicians should run under the phrase " A chicken in every pot, and a PacMan in every town"

I can tell you, being from Kansas and having to watch the chiefs every freakin weekend that we definitely DO NOT want Dorsey. He's a huge bust that rarely gets the job done. As for Bowe, yeah he makes incredible catches, but I've seen him give up on plays time and time again and I can't even start to count how many time's I've seen him drop easily catchable balls. There are die hard chiefs fans that would love to see Bowe go away, he's a cancer in the locker room. Plus he's uglier than sin.

I can tell you, being from Kansas and having to watch the chiefs every freakin weekend that we definitely DO NOT want Dorsey. He's a huge bust that rarely gets the job done. As for Bowe, yeah he makes incredible catches, but I've seen him give up on plays time and time again and I can't even start to count how many time's I've seen him drop easily catchable balls. There are die hard chiefs fans that would love to see Bowe go away, he's a cancer in the locker room. Plus he's uglier than sin.

We like players that are uglier than sin. The more "horse-face" the better they are. Just look at Luck and Manning.

Personally none of the Guards or Tackles jump out to me as must get on the list. Im going Guard and Tackle in the draft with my first two picks maybe Vollmer and Moore but I cant say I know enough about them or specifically watched them to see how good they are to warrant signing them as free agents (if they become free agents)

I think Hilton and Brazill have shown their skills in preseason and I think they'll continue to get better. That said...I don't think we'll be needy for a big FA WR and I do think we might pick one up in the draft if the right guy is there. However...If we were to get Wallace or Bowe, that would cure our "Who is our #1 when Reggie retires?" woes.

Yeah, it might be easier to go towards Bowe or Wallace in free agency, I don't know how many top receivers there are right now in college but teams like the Rams and Browns are going to be sure to scoop them up first in the draft. Like Peytonator said, Bowe might not be who Arians is looking for, but the guy is a bruiser, and if there's a chance to get him then why not. He could be 12's Megatron.

Yeah, it might be easier to go towards Bowe or Wallace in free agency, I don't know how many top receivers there are right now in college but teams like the Rams and Browns are going to be sure to scoop them up first in the draft. Like Peytonator said, Bowe might not be who Arians is looking for, but the guy is a bruiser, and if there's a chance to get him then why not. He could be 12's Megatron.

for the record. You won't hear me complain if we got Wallace. I just don't know if it's likely.

I don't see the Jags letting Knighton go. I would love to get Mike Jenkins & for him or Powers to play Nickel CB. Bowe would be a good #1 with Wayne's career winding down. I would like to have some size at WR, instead of just letting the Smurfs run Wild lol

Think of how much sense it makes economically.

Local bars and restaurants will make serious coin. The city would then be forced to hire more police/paramedics/firemen. It's brilliant.

Politicians should run under the phrase " A chicken in every pot, and a PacMan in every town"

Can't we just buy Patty Mac a bottle of gin and let him loose instead? I mean, at least we won't have to worry about PUBLIC safety then. Just his.