Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Was it just a different kind of offensive execution or was it a sign of Arians just being OC?

chad72

I saw things yesterday in our offense that several of us were clamoring for. Hot reads, lots of underneath stuff, crisp quick routes and passes.

Was this a sign of Arians finally being able to focus purely on offense as OC to fine tune those small details or was it just co-incidence? 

That was probably the most crisp I have seen our offense operate against a good defense without committing costly turnovers. Yesterday showed how dangerous our team can be if it does not make mistakes, IMO.

execution, home field and home fans, Coach Chuck's return lifting the team. Colts had the Texans the first time, just too many costly mistakes for the score to show it... a one yard line fumble for example. The play calling seemed more efficient, so perhaps Arians focus on that soley also made and impact, that and the fact that they had a chance to review what did and did not work from the previous game.

Karim's return also made an impact..if they take away the kick off I will be so upset. That is still and always will be a favorite part of the game despite the new rules that have diluted it.

I really think Pagano went over the play calling with Arians and Luck this past week.  I believe Pagano, who in training camp called for more running and stopping the run, may be yin to Arian's yang.  Pagano watched all of our games as a fan.  He knows what he saw, he knows what people are saying, he saw the punishment Luck was taking and I think he agreed with us for the most part.  

I really think Pagano went over the play calling with Arians and Luck this past week.  I believe Pagano, who in training camp called for more running and stopping the run, may be yin to Arian's yang.  Pagano watched all of our games as a fan.  He knows what he saw, he knows what people are saying, he saw the punishment Luck was taking and I think he agreed with us for the most part.  

If that is how it played out, I liked the results!!! Not only did we look efficient, we looked like the much better football team on the field yesterday with such offensive efficiency.

I agree and was thinking the same thing while watching the game.  Especially in regards to sticking to the running game.  I don't think it's a coincidence at all that that happened Pagano's first game back as HC.

Arians stated publicly several times in the last few weeks that the lack of short passes has been a LUCK Problem.

That Andrew has not been checking down to open receivers, and that they talk to him all the time about it.

What are the odds with Avery`s speed that he never got open yesterday to catch one pass? ZERO IMO.

Andrew chooses to stare down Reggie. Only a real * would not SEE this. Get a Clue!

I seriously doubt this had anything to do with his decisions. To each his or her own, I guess.

Getting 7 points from special teams and two INTs certainly helps.  It allows you to play a different type of game.  It's much easier to play under those circumstances, when it's not Luck against the world.  See Seattle and how you can score 150 points in three games on 11 completions a game from your QB. 

No way would he pay attention to what the fans were saying but he had to know though, they are not immune to publick opinion. Luck was just a little more accurate with his short passes which helped in using them a little more often in that game, If Luck missed many of those short throws then next thing ya know were not converting on 3rd down or controlling the clock which means that game is closer and Arians probably feels compelled to throw down field more often for chunk yards as he calls them, Also we stuck with the run even though it did not work real good but it does not have to work real good any it just has to work to get a couple yards here, a couple yards there and notice we still were ble to take a couple deep shots

IMO it was an attempt to not have a DT dominate the rematch. 10 unassisted tackles , 6 for a loss , 3 sacks and a forced fumble at the 1 is not forgotton in two weeks. Plus you want to keep Luck from getting hurt in a week 17 game that can't change the standings.

I saw things yesterday in our offense that several of us were clamoring for. Hot reads, lots of underneath stuff, crisp quick routes and passes.

Was this a sign of Arians finally being able to focus purely on offense as OC to fine tune those small details or was it just co-incidence? 

That was probably the most crisp I have seen our offense operate against a good defense without committing costly turnovers. Yesterday showed how dangerous our team can be if it does not make mistakes, IMO.

It was.  I just re-watched the game.  It's interesting how you can see things at the game that you don't on TV, and vice versa.

It seemed like it was the same attack game plan Arians has been using, just executed better.  It's still hard to believe he's doing this with that patchwork O-line (who played pretty well yesterday).

That delayed handoff to Ballard looked like a new wrinkle in the offense that I don't remember seeing much before.  It worked well on a couple of occassions. 

We have ran that play at least twice a game... it has gained positive yards most of the time.

That play has evolved over the course of the season. The way we've been running it the past month or so, it's more of a screen play. The tackle pushes the outside man out wide and let's him run past, then the tackle and center get out in front and block for the back at the second level. 

It was.  I just re-watched the game.  It's interesting how you can see things at the game that you don't on TV, and vice versa.

It seemed like it was the same attack game plan Arians has been using, just executed better.  It's still hard to believe he's doing this with that patchwork O-line (who played pretty well yesterday).

I think there was more of a definite effort to call some quick hitters in the passing game, and to keep the run game on the table, especially with the lead. I like the design of the screen pass to Hilton, but that's a wrinkle that will probably be tipped because of the motion. I still have a problem with some of the route combinations, especially on early downs, but Arians' offense likes to go vertical. 

Ill be the first to say anything about arians playcalling but in all honesty the playcalling was astounding. I couldve sworn we took about 6-8 plays straight out of the NE gameplan against Houston. I thought everything we did was effective and it looked like a completely different cooridinator calling the game. I do think lucks effeciency probably had a lot to do with it as well but I saw many plays that were patient cohesive offensive planning for the big strike. I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw Luck looking like he used to at Stanford. If this keeps up everyone including NE and Denver better lookout because this team is dangerous.

Arians stated publicly several times in the last few weeks that the lack of short passes has been a LUCK Problem.

That Andrew has not been checking down to open receivers, and that they talk to him all the time about it.

What are the odds with Avery`s speed that he never got open yesterday to catch one pass? ZERO IMO.

Andrew chooses to stare down Reggie. Only a real * would not SEE this. Get a Clue!

Short routes and check downs have been in the playbook all year.  Reggie is gold, though, and why Luck tended to stare him 'open' quite often though.  LOL This staring down was less often recently, but anyone remember this play?  Right out of a timeout, final drive to end the game, 1:48 to go down by 5. Look at the routes,  2 up the field, a safety valve check down, a drag, and one medium dig (white line).

AriansroutesRW_zps6d61fae5.jpg

That was Reggie Wayne on the dig on a 1st and 10 that Luck completed to him for 18 yards down to the GB 14 under pressure in traffic.  I started going back and looking a plays/routes when I read constantly on here how all of our receivers were 20+ yards down field in slow developing plays that was getting Luck killed.  I quickly found otherwise.  That said, A. Luck has been better at spreading the ball around and making better decision where it should go.

Like I said in another thread about this I think this was more a product of Luck growing up before our eyes than anything else.  He's making better decisions with the ball.  This is exactly what you want to see out your rookie QB at this point in the season.  I think the game is starting to slow down for him and he's doing a better job checking the ball down.