Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hankins and Jets Trade

Caffrey

Hindsight is always 20/20 but an after the fact thought is Hankins could have been included in the trade with the Jets today.  

They lost DT Muhammad Wilkerson to the Packers so it is a need for the Jets.

Since the Jets are offering 2nd rounders, we possibly could have gotten another 2nd rounder, in 2020.

Also could have held out for a player like Kevin Costner did in "The Draft".  I would have asked for either one of young back-up OL Brandon Shell (nephew or Art Shell) or Dakota Dozier, back-ups who could compete for a starting position with us.

About Kevin Costner and "The Draft", when the fictional Jacksonville GM took 3 second rounders for the #7 pick in the first round, that is where the movie lost some realism.

We got basically the same thing (all probably early 2nd rounders too, assuming the Jets will be going through growing pains with a rookie QB and hopefully suck this year) , but we also got the #6 pick.  We did give up an earlier pick in the #3 vs the #7 in the movie.  Just my thoughts.

26 minutes ago, Caffrey said:

Hindsight is always 20/20 but an after the fact thought is Hankins could have been included in the trade with the Jets today.  

Since the Jets are offering 2nd rounders, we possibly could have gotten another 2nd rounder, in 2020.

Also could have held out for a player like Kevin Costner did in "The Draft".  I would have asked for either one of young back-up OL Brandon Shell (nephew or Art Shell) or Dakota Dozier, back-ups who could compete for a starting position with us.

About Kevin Costner and "The Draft", when the fictional Jacksonville GM took 3 second rounders for the #7 pick in the first round, that is where the movie lost some realism.

We got basically the same thing (all probably early 2nd rounders too, assuming the Jets will be going through growing pains with a rookie QB and hopefully suck this year) , but we also got the #6 pick.  We did give up an earlier pick in the #3 vs the #7 in the movie.  Just my thoughts.

You people just don't have a Clue.  How could Ballard have missed this?  lmao

17 minutes ago, GoColts00 said:

Maybe CB did ask around to trade Hankins. We don't know. The two things we do know are 1) he would've gotten guaranteed $ tomorrow and 2) he didn't get pass rush which you need in a 4-3 attacking Defense. 

Exactly. He most likely did shop Hankins. Price tag wasn’t valued so we cut him to save more money. 

Also the specific scheme we want to run in 4-3 he doesn’t fit. I thought Ballard made a good choice. Questionable at first because of how well Hankins played for us, but the trade coming beforehand shows he thought about it. 

I think if Stewart developed, he could be a beast in the 4-3. Remember, he was 350 and had great speed, I think close to a 5.1 40. 

Edit: 334 lbs, 5.12 40. I really hope our dline coach can improve his skills. 

2 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Exactly. He most likely did shop Hankins. Price tag wasn’t valued so we cut him to save more money. 

Also the specific scheme we want to run in 4-3 he doesn’t fit. I thought Ballard made a good choice. Questionable at first because of how well Hankins played for us, but the trade coming beforehand shows he thought about it. 

I think if Stewart developed, he could be a beast in the 4-3. Remember, he was 350 and had great speed, I think close to a 5.1 40. 

Hate to have 350 coming at me like that. Yikes!

6 minutes ago, Jaredfor3 said:

When Hankins gets picked up by somebody, will that be factored into our compensatory pick for next year?  Or does that just apply to undrafted free agents that were lost? 

I expect the Colts will net a fourth round compensatory pick. 

You don't get compensatory picks for cuts.

4 minutes ago, lance_m8 said:

Different movie right? That is from Draft Day with the Browns GM

4 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

How much did we save he was signed for 30 million?.

12 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

There be no compensation for him because we cut him

12 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

24 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

You’re telling me. That’s instant concussion protocol. He outweighs me by 150 pounds. That is no doubt interior pass rush speed. 

27 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Hate to have 350 coming at me like that. Yikes!

30 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

40 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

You people just don't have a Clue.  How could Ballard have missed this?  lmao

45 minutes ago, GoColts00 said:

Maybe CB did ask around to trade Hankins. We don't know. The two things we do know are 1) he would've gotten guaranteed $ tomorrow and 2) he didn't get pass rush which you need in a 4-3 attacking Defense. 

1 hour ago, Caffrey said:

Correct, my bad, it was "Draft Day", didn't do my homework although its been on TV countless times lately.                    I don't if Ballard tried to trade him to another team or include him in the Jets trade but that was just my thoughts, regardless.  Nobody knows his thoughts or plans unless he explains it and he is not obligated to do so.  

1 hour ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Stewart's pro day is strikingly similar to DaRon Payne

Hankins has agreed to terms with the Colts on a three-year contract worth up to $30 million, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, via a source informed of the situation. The new pact includes $15.9 million guaranteed and $10.5 million in the first year.

So does he get the guaranteed money or not? I thought players received the guaranteed money in their contract immediately.

I’m curious as to why we didn’t try to trade him either. 

Surely someone somewhere would have given up a 4 for him. Maybe even a team with a bevy of 3s would have made a deal. Just seems silly to jettison a player who actually made us better and get nothing in return for it. 

But that’s been the whole MO of this free agency, so maybe it does make sense. 

There are a lot of people right now looking at Ballard and wondering what in the hell hes doing.

Time will tell if he’s a genius or not, but right now he’s not done a lot to convince folks he is. 

16 hours ago, backshoulderfade said:

That’s what I thought.

With the loss of free agents: Moncrief, Melvin, Gore, and Bostic, that should at least give us a 4th round and 7th round compensatory picks. 

Fact = Colts were unable to work out a trade for Hankins, ergo, he was released before the guarantees kicked in.  

Whether or not they “tried” is now moot, but regardless, CB is an “insider” and he’s not stupid.  I find it hard to believe the Colts did not explore their options.  I mean really, though ... “Let’s cut Hankins.”  Then hours later, upon reading it on the Colts forum, “Doh!  Dumb me, I didn’t even THINK to try and trade him to see about getting something of value, before cutting him.  Man, those forum fans sure are smart.”

2 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Fact = Colts were unable to work out a trade for Hankins, ergo, he was released before the guarantees kicked in.  

Whether or not they “tried” is now moot, but regardless, CB is an “insider” and he’s not stupid.  I find it hard to believe the Colts did not explore their options.  I mean really, though ... “Let’s cut Hankins.”  Then hours later, upon reading it on the Colts forum, “Doh!  Dumb me, I didn’t even THINK to try and trade him to see about getting something of value, before cutting him.  Man, those forum fans sure are smart.”

would have rather kept him.  hes a good player and fits a 4-3 just fine

we dont need cap space either, we are not spending what we have 

A further thought ... if I am an Indy reporter, I am calling up or texting Ballard to ask,

Chris, it came as quite a surprise to fans to see Hankins cut.  Was this a “cap” move and or scheme fit decision?  Prior to releasing him, did you call around to see if you could trade him?  Or was it Hankins himself that asked for his release?  Inquiring fans would really appreciate some elaboration on the matter.