Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Well, Did NE or Philly Need an "Elite" RB?

DougDew

20 minutes ago, dgambill said:

If we could get Blount running down hill like Philly did I would love that. We don't have nearly the OL but put him and Lewis and Mack in McD's system would make for a nice rotation.

If we wanna go for one in the middle rounds I like Royce Freeman him, Mack and  Lewis or a similar back would be great.

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

its not even clear if we have one

not saying i would draft barkley, but we need to make a move 

I still think the first move is to build a stout o-line.  Give a decent runner an opportunity to runs through holes and give Luck time to find receivers.  It all starts from the line and we have seen what happens if the line isn't getting the job done.

Whatever it takes - build a strong o-line first.  Just my opinion.

1 minute ago, gspdx said:

I still think the first move is to build a stout o-line.  Give a decent runner an opportunity to runs through holes and give Luck time to find receivers.  It all starts from the line and we have seen what happens if the line isn't getting the job done.

Whatever it takes - build a strong o-line first.  Just my opinion.

Philly does have an ELITE offensive line I'll give them that..I wonder how many of them are 1st round picks?

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

None.

Their OL blocking angles were amazing, they kept varying it well enough to keep the DL of the Patriots on their toes. Drew Bledsoe touched on it this morning on Golic and Wingo. You don't beat the Patriots because you beat them in category A or category B. It is by competing in all phases and being ready, and that goes back to coaching, coaching of OL, coaching of DL, coaching of special teams that was more than ready for that Dion Lewis return trick play, IMO. 

Coaching matters when you get farther in the playoffs. Adjustments to the opponents' adjustments, keeping the opponent on their toes so that they don't get a read on you if you are going to run on 3rd and 4, which is typically a passing down, or throw on 3rd and 1, which is typically a running down. Doug Pederson outcoached Belichick in this game, much like Coughlin managed to coach his Giants teams well in the SB to not shoot themselves and make it a 60 minute game. While Jim Schwartz got bailed out by his offense, in his defense, he was going against Brady and McDaniels, very good offensive masterminds who work well together and make excellent adjustments. 

It is all about coaching and having a QB to make plays if you need to win a SB. Defensive line depth can never be understated and 3rd down conversions are one of the most key stats in playoff games that help teams control tempo. Eli did that vs Patriots in the 2 SBs, Brees tore us apart in the Saints-Colts SB on 3rd down, Peyton converted key 3rd downs throughout the playoffs to keep drives alive even if they did not result in a TD during our 2006 SB run, and having a variety of ways to convert 3rd downs offensively keeps the D fresh and buzzing, when the 4th qtr. comes around. 

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Their OL blocking angles were amazing, they kept varying it well enough to keep the DL of the Patriots on their toes. Drew Bledsoe touched on it this morning on Golic and Wingo. You don't beat the Patriots because you beat them in category A or category B. It is by competing in all phases and being ready, and that goes back to coaching, coaching of OL, coaching of DL, coaching of special teams that was more than ready for that Dion Lewis return trick play, IMO. 

Coaching matters when you get farther in the playoffs. Adjustments to the opponents' adjustments, keeping the opponent on their toes so that they don't get a read on you if you are going to run on 3rd and 4, which is typically a passing down, or throw on 3rd and 1, which is typically a running down. Doug Pederson outcoached Belichick in this game, much like Coughlin managed to coach his Giants teams well in the SB to not shoot themselves and make it a 60 minute game. While Jim Schwartz got bailed out by his offense, in his defense, he was going against Brady and McDaniels, very good offensive masterminds who work well together and make excellent adjustments. 

It is all about coaching and having a QB to make plays if you need to win a SB.

Lions should back out of Patricia deal and call Frank Reich..

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

It is all about coaching and having a QB to make plays if you need to win a SB. Defensive line depth can never be understated and 3rd down conversions are one of the most key stats in playoff games that help teams control tempo. Eli did that vs Patriots in the 2 SBs, Brees tore us apart in the Saints-Colts SB on 3rd down, Peyton converted key 3rd downs throughout the playoffs to keep drives alive even if they did not result in a TD during our 2006 SB run, and having a variety of ways to convert 3rd downs offensively keeps the D fresh and buzzing, when the 4th qtr. comes around. 

The Eagles seemed to know what the Pats were going to do on D before the Pats did and they called a great protection plan every time.  And the RPO they ran kept the Pats from bring the house to provide pressure.

32 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

The Eagles seemed to know what the Pats were going to do on D before the Pats did and they called a great protection plan every time.  And the RPO they ran kept the Pats from bring the house to provide pressure.

They borrowed it from the Chiefs in game 1. 

Andy Reid, even when things work, sometimes tends to go away from those. The RPO system was really successful for the Chiefs this year. The difference was, they designed throws for Corey Clement much like Alex Smith hit Kareem Hunt in game 1 vs Patriots while leaving Blount and Ajayi for the between the tackles running. In fact, Corey Clement made it more efficient because they had all options available while he was on the field - run or pass while Blount or Ajayi mainly were used for the play action or hard running. 

Maybe it was the Eagles that did the taping of defensive signals this time? :hide:

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

I don’t think this SB could be used as a measuring stick for having an elite RB. Both teams mixed some run plays in but this game was aerial most of the game. 

How many elite RB teams were in the playoffs?  I dont know the answer, I'm asking.  Maybe a better question is,

Of the playoff teams, what was the draft position of their starting or significant PT running backs?

5 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

Yeah them elite  top 5 defenses sure showed up huh? Where were the elite defensive ends?

Elite edge rusher is becoming obsolete.  They all get gassed in the 4th quarter, and the quick paced offense keeps them from having a lot of impact anyway.  It takes too long to bend around the edge.  

The shortest distance to the QB is from the center of the Dline, so get an elite 3 tech.

On 2/5/2018 at 7:24 AM, ty4atd said:

I get what your going after but the Eagles stacked DL made one play and got abused otherwise and the Pats have no pass rushers.

And the few times they got pressure on Foles they MISSED him. Was infuriating.  But with Hightower and Rivers coming off IR next year hopefully that makes a diffeeence. But I need give Eagles credit they picked up every blitz no matter where it was coming from. 

And the Eagles made the one play needed to win the game. It happens, I was more upset for Brady as he had probably his best SB performance ever and lost.  Proves a point even one of the greatest needs some sort of Defense to win.