Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vontae Davis

tfunky14

He's a CB on the back 9 of his career. Happens to the best of them. Darrelle Revis, Joe Haden, Nnamdi, Charles Woodson, everyone declines. To be a truly great man to man CB you need to have that quick twitch and the athleticism to stay with WR's. Vontae has always been exposed by smaller, more sudden route runners (Antonio Brown torches us on a regular basis, Doug Baldwin the same). Vontae for a couple of years there was a top 5, arguably top 3 CB in the league. He is not that now.

Also got to give it to Doug Baldwin that he is a great route runner.

If Quincy comes back healthy and continues to flash, Melvin keeps up the solid play and Hairston continues to impress, I can see Vontae being the odd (and expensive) man out come the offseason when his contract is up. But with the 3 previously mentioned, Hooker and Farley as our safety pair and the prospect of Geathers maybe returning? The future of this secondary is very bright indeed.

Wilson played excellent in the 2nd half and his receivers didn’t drop many balls.  A lot of CBs probably would have struggled against that 2nd half offense last night.  But, I do agree with many posters that Davis actually took a step back last year.  

10 hours ago, tfunky14 said:

Sorry to say this but Vontae Davis was terrible last night. There was multiple times 3rd and long and Davis couldn't cover grandma. If he is to be the Colts #1 corner, I didn't see it last night. He must improve or next man up to replace him. His play last night kept Seattle's scoring drive's alive.

Sorry but his play last night was no where near #1 corner status. 

To be fair it was his first game of the year. Everyone else had time to knock the rust off. 

Bad nights happen sometimes. Look at Marcus Peters tonight. He has given up 2 scores to Washington. 

IF Vontae struggles next week then I might worry. 

Vontae flat out sucked.  No longer a shut down corner and that performance on Sunday will lead to questions of him still being #1 corner caliber.  Colts should move on from him after this season.  Vontae is just not worth his salary anymore.  Build with the young guys...Wilson and Hariston have potential.

I am willing to give him another couple of games at least as Ballard has even said that Davis was playing "lights out" in training camp and so hopefully more reps means more production.  We need a veteran leader in that secondary with all our young players.

One of the plays he messed up on was a 3rd and long where Wilson had the ball about 5/6 seconds and he was covering Lockett.  There are not many corners in the league, let alone the rest of our roster, that would be able to hang with the speed of Lockett for that length of time.

I will admit the early Baldwin one looked awful, left Vontae standing still.

10 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Vontae flat out sucked.  No longer a shut down corner and that performance on Sunday will lead to questions of him still being #1 corner caliber.  Colts should move on from him after this season.  Vontae is just not worth his salary anymore.  Build with the young guys...Wilson and Hariston have potential.

I really like what I have seen from Hairston.

Vontae played like garbage for sure, but I'll wait until the end of the year to pass judgement. 

If he doesn't get better, Ballard will have an easy decision to make. 

I still want to see Wilson, Vontae, (and Hairston) Hooker and Geathers all out there at once, but I'm not holding my breath. 

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 12:49 PM, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Vontae is only 29.. give him a few more years lol he aint past his prime yet

I agree....he has good genes too. Kinda like the Cromartie family lol....look at Vernon out there at like 33...he is still looking young and productive. I don't know if he is still in his prime but he can still be more than serviceable. Like someone said...Wilson is a hard qb for corners to defend against. He is unorthidoxed in how long he holds the ball and moves out of the pocket and you get so many times the wr will cut off routes etc....Davis looked like he just wasn't up to game speed..but I think he will steadily improve. Now should he come back next year on another monster contract...probably not...but the right money and contract I think he can still be a good corner.

Man no wonder the drug companies in America are making a fortune...football fans alone are so bipolar/manic depressive bunch...like a roller coaster around here...one week they are our savior, next they should be cut, and the following lets give them a contract extension. Think anyone here can check their emotions for a few weeks and lets see where we are at the half way point...you know when our leader on the field is back and hopefully the offense is at full strength. Pretty sure we will either be in the hunt or out of it...but at least give the players on the field enough rope to see if they hang themselves or if they steady the ship.

I like Vontae, and he may only be 29, but he's had a lot of nagging injuries over the past few years, almost all on his lower body.

He's hurt his foot, knee, ankle, hamstring, and groin. I feel like when CB's start to pick up a lot of lower body injuries they start to decline fast. I wouldn't be surprised if he shakes some rust off and proves to still be our best CB at the moment, but I think his best days are pretty much behind him.

*I have a request for all posters.  PLEASE google stuff before you post it.  It's getting really old when people just start spouting off their take on "what the Colts should do" when they don't even know the pertinent information.

Games played?  Google.  Statistics?  Google.  Contract information?  Google.  Injury information?  Google.

I'm getting really sick of reading a post and thinking "well that can't be right", then taking 2 minutes to Google it and finding out that the poster is talking out of their rear.  JUST TAKE TWO MINUTES TO GOOGLE STUFF, PEOPLE!!!

:hairout:

On 10/2/2017 at 3:16 PM, deedub75 said:

Ha!  Vontae plays poorly in his first game after a lengthy injury and people say give him time because he's rusty but think Andrew will walk right in after not playing or practicing for 10 months and play like he's Superman. 

I agree lol

On 10/2/2017 at 11:59 AM, Matabix said:

Some of you are truly unamazing. You demand loyalty out of the players we cheer on sundays. I would of preferably kept the greats until they were ready to go. Marvin Harrison released. Reggie Wayne released. Dwight Freeney released. Rob Morris, Jeff Herrod, Marlin Jackson, all released. Now we want Vontae gone on a bad game when everyone he was playing against had 6 games to practice. Shame on us for demanding perfection. He deserves to have a bad game or 2, and if we are true fans we should help lift him up instead of demanding his release. Shame on us.

On 10/2/2017 at 3:46 PM, Matabix said:

Marlin we didn't resign, or MH.

@Superman hit on some of this stuff, but Reggie wasn't resigned, Marvin requested a release (http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=3931695) and never played in NFL again, Marlin was non-tendered (after a career-ending knee injury), Rob Morris failed a physical which lead to him being released, Freeney was not resigned, not sure full status of Herrod (other than what Supe already said -- he came back to Indy for his last season after spending time w/ Philly after first stunt with Indy).

All of that is a lot different than being released over one bad game.  I agree with you that we should try to lift him up and root for him.  Hopefully he just needs a little more time to get back into live game action after coming off a pretty bad groin injury.  If his play doesn't improve as the season goes on, he is a FA after this year and simply won't be worth the ~$10 mil/year he's getting paid now.  Unless he shows he's back at elite (2014) form, he'll be forced to take a pay cut if he wants to remain in this league, just like pretty much all the guys you mentioned we 'released' did (or didn't do if they didn't play again).

On 10/4/2017 at 7:17 AM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

*I have a request for all posters.  PLEASE google stuff before you post it.  It's getting really old when people just start spouting off their take on "what the Colts should do" when they don't even know the pertinent information.

Games played?  Google.  Statistics?  Google.  Contract information?  Google.  Injury information?  Google.

I'm getting really sick of reading a post and thinking "well that can't be right", then taking 2 minutes to Google it and finding out that the poster is talking out of their rear.  JUST TAKE TWO MINUTES TO GOOGLE STUFF, PEOPLE!!!

:hairout:

IOW, check your facts.