Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Gores future

TheOptimist88

2 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

I didn't say anything about 40 yard runs. 

Yes, I do feel that opponents gameplan against the Colts is all about Andrew Luck and that affects how much pressure he faces. And yes, I do believe that having a RB other teams have to worry about would make them think twice about blitzing every play. That's just football common sense.

Beyond that, I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make. You didn't argue that Mack might make the offense more versatile and dangerous, you are basically just saying we don't need a better RB and it has no affect on the beating Luck has taken, which is ridiculous.

You said:

14 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

A bug reason teams have been so aggressive with Luck is we haven't had a back that can make them pay for it. Mack might be able to. Gore wont, at least often enough anymore.

What does "make them pay for it" mean if not that the RB can rip off a big run?  You are directly correlating pressure on Luck with a lack of big running plays.  Do you not understand your own point?  Isn't a 40+ yard run evidence of a back who "can make them pay for it"?  if you want to drop down to 20 yard runs, fine...the facts are the same.  There was no back in the league who made teams "pay for it" last year than McCoy, but the Bills QBs were among the most pressured and sacked in the league.

My response just showed your point was a fallacy...there isn't a correlation between having running back who can "make them pay for it" and keeping pressure off the QB.  It had to do with all the other things I wrote. Gore is not the cause of the problem you have identified.  

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, A8bil said:

You said:

What does "make them pay for it" mean if not that the RB can rip off a big run?  You are directly correlating pressure on Luck with a lack of big running plays.  Do you not understand your own point?  Isn't a 40+ yard run evidence of a back who "can make them pay for it"?  if you want to drop down to 20 yard runs, fine...the facts are the same.  There was no back in the league who made teams "pay for it" last year than McCoy, but the Bills QBs were among the most pressured and sacked in the league.

My response just showed your point was a fallacy...there isn't a correlation between having running back who can "make them pay for it" and keeping pressure off the QB.  It had to do with all the other things I wrote. Gore is not the cause of the problem you have identified.  

Teams are less likely to blitz if there is a RB in the backfield that scares them. 

You don't have to run for 40 yards to make them pay. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

Needs to sit down and pave the way for Mack.  Gore is holding up space, he can stay with the Colts as a running back coach.  But I say give Mac a chance to be the full time back.....Gore's 40+ yards per game isn't NFL standards....

IMO Gore has been a consistent contributor. If he takes a modest contract i can see one more year.

I don't see Mack getting skinny through those lanes like Gore does. Yeah, Mack could get us 5-10 more yards once he gets to the second or third level but more often than not, what you do behind the OL and through the OL at the first level is more important in the NFL, given the level of Ds around the league. Mack still has a bit to go before he can be THE man. 

3 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

Needs to sit down and pave the way for Mack.  Gore is holding up space, he can stay with the Colts as a running back coach.  But I say give Mac a chance to be the full time back.....Gore's 40+ yards per game isn't NFL standards....

But Mack's 10.5 yards per game is the NFL standard?

33 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I don't see Mack getting skinny through those lanes like Gore does. Yeah, Mack could get us 5-10 more yards once he gets to the second or third level but more often than not, what you do behind the OL and through the OL at the first level is more important in the NFL, given the level of Ds around the league. Mack still has a bit to go before he can be THE man. 

i concur

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Agree.  And I don't see Mack punishing those defenders when he runs like when Gore gets the call.  Gore runs very "heavy" and Mack runs very "light" in my opinion.  Those heavy runs gets the D tired.  Great time for a Mack attack.

Just now, MB-ColtsFan said:

Agree.  And I don't see Mack punishing those defenders when he runs like when Gore gets the call.  Gore runs very "heavy" and Mack runs very "light" in my opinion.  Those heavy runs gets the D tired.  Great time for a Mack attack.

Exactly, Mack is that complementary back that can take advantage of tired legs, much like Dominic Rhodes did for Joseph Addai, IMO, albeit Dom had a little more "heavy" in him than Mack at this point in time. Mack, once he is under an NFL strength regimen for a year, might get that "heavy" run inclination and ability like you talked about.

Just now, chad72 said:

Exactly, Mack is that complementary back that can take advantage of tired legs, much like Dominic Rhodes did for Joseph Addai, IMO, albeit Dom had a little more "heavy" in him than Mack at this point in time. Mack, once he is under an NFL strength regimen for a year, might get that "heavy" run inclination and ability like you talked about.

As long as Mack can retain most of his speed I would love too see that happen.  He would/could be that "Edge" RB we loved so much.

5 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

As long as Mack can retain most of his speed I would love too see that happen.  He would/could be that "Edge" RB we loved so much.

Even with an OL like the Cowboys, against good Ds, Elliott goes for 4-5 yards a pop (forget this last week). So, if Mack can develop into a back like that, that is all we need for teams to honor the run and open up play action and the passing game. Heck, our former RB Edgerrin James was a steady back like that. Pass protection is what I am looking for with Mack to improve as the season goes on, NFL LBs are strong and when they blitz, you need a vet like Gore to pick it up. That is where Mack's setback will be because Brissett is not the experienced QB (at least not in our system) that he can take Mack under his wing, like Peyton used to communicate with Edge and Addai.

That is another reason why, when Luck returns, even if we are 2-3 or 2-4 or whatever, we need Luck to work with Mack and get them on the same page for the future. All this "let him sit" talk does our team no good for the long term plans.

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:00 PM, Pat Beach 81 said:

No. I posted a couple months back when the colts signed Micheal that it could mean the end for gore. It was not well received by some. Can't remember to many 35 yr old rbs leading their team to the promise land. Turbin can start the season until Mack gets comfortable. Ferguson, pope, or any younger Joe bob off the street can back them up. Frank was great, he just doesn't have any burst left. For the folks that argue he had 1000 yds last year, he got it 2 yds @ a time, and we were 8-8 again

He was good last year and hasn't been bad the first 2 games of this year despite the terrible o-line so I wouldn't count him out of 1000 yards yet.

What i don't understand is the different play calling when Mack is in the backfield.  Gore was having success with quick hitting plays but when Mack is in they try to stretch out the play.  Why not give Mack the ball with quick hitting plays as well?  Once he gets through the hole, his play making ability can take over.  I also like Macks ability to catch out of the backfield, which also gets him in space and allows him to use his quickness to make plays.  

Joseph   

Frank Gore is not going anywhere.  He will ride out his career here and this likely will be his last year anyways.  He has still produced for us and regardless if he gets 1,000 yards or not he has been a key piece to our highly unsteady offense this year.

Those who think he should be gone and everything should be handed to Mack are sorely mistaken of what Gore brings to this team and offense.

No reason for Gore to get the bulk of carries for colts. He's had a nice career but we are not going anywhere this season and it's time to give Mack valuable experience. 

In fact it would be good for him to be traded to say a team like the packers and maybe have a chance at a super bowl. Maybe a 7th rd conditional pick or something.

9 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

No reason for Gore to get the bulk of carries for colts. He's had a nice career but we are not going anywhere this season and it's time to give Mack valuable experience. 

In fact it would be good for him to be traded to say a team like the packers and maybe have a chance at a super bowl. Maybe a 7th rd conditional pick or something.

Too soon.  I also think you discount the need for Mack to be used in ways that boost his confidence.  Throwing a player into a bad situation where they struggle to succeed can do damage to their psyche.  So far, they have not put Mack in a position to succeed.  They need to find ways to get him the ball in open space, and more importantly, in a situation where it is not obvious that he is getting the ball.  That will take him being on the field for more snaps, which will require him to be sound in his blocking assignments.  Last game, Turbin got almost the same number of snaps as Gore.  Those can be spread out to Mack if he shows competence blocking. 

17 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

You are overlooking the fact that a lot goes into a team and you do not just trade players because you think the young rookie needs snaps.  The one great play Mack has had came in pre-season against players who are on PS or not in the league currently.  Based on practice as well I would say the coaches still want the bulk of carries to go to the vets.  Mack has a lot to learn still and why not have him learn from one of the best all around backs.  Plus a trade will not happen.

On 8/24/2017 at 6:50 PM, TheOptimist88 said:

We all know Frank Gore is the ultimate football vet but what does he bring to the Colts offense in 2017? Outside of pass blocking and immense knowledge of the game does he provide a legitimate threat at the RB position and does he serve as a good compliment back to Andrew Luck?

Frank Gore's future?

In 2017, he will play in the NFL. 

However, next year he will likely be eating potato chips on his couch, just like the rest of us. 

3 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

The erason is the Colts are not ready to give up on the season yet.

As long as we're trying to compete,   there is EVERY reason to keep playing Gore.

The changes you're looking for likely won't come until November or even December.

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

Even with an OL like the Cowboys, against good Ds, Elliott goes for 4-5 yards a pop (forget this last week). So, if Mack can develop into a back like that, that is all we need for teams to honor the run and open up play action and the passing game. Heck, our former RB Edgerrin James was a steady back like that. Pass protection is what I am looking for with Mack to improve as the season goes on, NFL LBs are strong and when they blitz, you need a vet like Gore to pick it up. That is where Mack's setback will be because Brissett is not the experienced QB (at least not in our system) that he can take Mack under his wing, like Peyton used to communicate with Edge and Addai.

That is another reason why, when Luck returns, even if we are 2-3 or 2-4 or whatever, we need Luck to work with Mack and get them on the same page for the future. All this "let him sit" talk does our team no good for the long term plans.

Chad,  you know I'm an admirer of yours....

But this post doesn't resonate with me.

All 31 teams would like to have a RB that develops into Ezekial Ellliott.    But it rarely happens.

And I personally have no desire --- none --- to try and turn Marlon Mack into something he's not.    He's a thoroughbred,  not a plow horse.     He's a Porsche,  not a pick-up truck.       

I want Mack to be Mack.    Fast, quick, elusive, athletic,  makes people miss,  especially in space.     I don't want to turn him into Frank Gore.      His game is not as much between the tackles.     He needs to operate in more space.

I think this is Gore's last year with the team.    So, I'd like to invest in a 2nd RB to be the Thunder to Mack's lightning. Maybe it turns out to be Jones?      Maybe it's a free agent?      Perhaps it's a draft pick?      But I don't see Mack as the everydown back of our future.      I see him as a great complimentary back.    A great number 2.     I know he was the lead guy in college,  but I don't think his skill-set makes him an ideal #1 in the NFL.

Just my two cents,  and often not worth that much!              :peek:

I respectfully disagree with those who say Mack can learn better by watching Gore. Experience to me is the best teacher and don't we still have Jones on practice squad? I'd like to see what he could do also. We know what gore can do.

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I respectfully disagree with those who say Mack can learn better by watching Gore. Experience to me is the best teacher and don't we still have Jones on practice squad? I'd like to see what he could do also. We know what gore can do.

Gore looked mighty young again sunday

2 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Frank Gore's future?

In 2017, he will play in the NFL. 

However, next year he will likely be eating potato chips on his couch, just like the rest of us. 

He's probably got better chips than us. 

And a nicer couch. 

But I agree with the rest..:)

4 minutes ago, IinD said:

He's probably got better chips than us. 

And a nicer couch. 

But I agree with the rest..:)

Maybe his are made from Ammarnäs potatoes. The worlds most expensive potato chip sells at $56 for a set of five ($11.20 apiece). 

http://nypost.com/2016/10/20/this-is-the-worlds-most-expensive-potato-chip/

161020-most-expensive-chips-feature.jpg?

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Chad,  you know I'm an admirer of yours....

But this post doesn't resonate with me.

All 31 teams would like to have a RB that develops into Ezekial Ellliott.    But it rarely happens.

And I personally have no desire --- none --- to try and turn Marlon Mack into something he's not.    He's a thoroughbred,  not a plow horse.     He's a Porsche,  not a pick-up truck.       

I want Mack to be Mack.    Fast, quick, elusive, athletic,  makes people miss,  especially in space.     I don't want to turn him into Frank Gore.      His game is not as much between the tackles.     He needs to operate in more space.

I think this is Gore's last year with the team.    So, I'd like to invest in a 2nd RB to be the Thunder to Mack's lightning. Maybe it turns out to be Jones?      Maybe it's a free agent?      Perhaps it's a draft pick?      But I don't see Mack as the everydown back of our future.      I see him as a great complimentary back.    A great number 2.     I know he was the lead guy in college,  but I don't think his skill-set makes him an ideal #1 in the NFL.

Just my two cents,  and often not worth that much!              :peek:

While we may not want to make him into Frank Gore, we can definitely make him into a LeSean McCoy.

Look up their physical stature, both are around 5'11" and 210 lbs. If McCoy can be a #1, Marlon Mack can definitely be a #1. Not the same kind of #1 like a Frank Gore but a different kind of #1. That was my ultimate point.

Just need to get the OL and blocking that will propel him past the LOS more often like McCoy had with the Eagles and has with the Bills.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

While we may not want to make him into Frank Gore, we can definitely make him into a LeSean McCoy.

Look up their physical stature, both are around 5'11" and 210 lbs. If McCoy can be a #1, Marlon Mack can definitely be a #1. Not the same kind of #1 like a Frank Gore but a different kind of #1. That was my ultimate point.

Just need to get the OL and blocking that will propel him past the LOS more often like McCoy had with the Eagles and has with the Bills.

Now this is a very good post.    Much stronger argument.      I appreciate it,  thanks.

I don't happen to share that view of Mack.     I'm not as optimistic that he can be an every down guy.

I hope you're right,  but fear your not.  

I guess we'll see next off-season.     We'll see what,  if anything Ballard does with the position.     Does he buy a good free agent?     Does he use another draft pick?      Someone to pair with Mack?       If not,  then perhaps Ballard agrees with you.      If so,  then maybe Ballard is looking for a timeshare.     Two guys to carry the load instead of one.

This coming off-season will tell the story.

Thanks,  I appreciate this post.  

18 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I didn't see the game but his stats were 14 carries for 46 yds... a 3.3 avg.

Yep, 3.8 more ypc than Mack.  Imagine how young Gore had to look to get yards where the rook couldn't.  The Cards were stout and made every yard difficult. 

Gore will get less touches some games and more others. Matchups, score, down and distance etc determine who should get the ball. Personally I want to see Mack get more of Turbins touches before I worry about more of Gores. Gore's legs will wear down as the season goes on and we will have Turbin and Mack to pick up the slack....but I've got no problem letting defenses bash into the boulder that is Frank Gore as they wear down until we unleash Mack on them. If we had a runner more built like Hunt or something than I would be arguing for more carries but since Mack is complementary runner I think we will see him get more and more a part of the offense as we go.