Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

More pieces to the puzzle

Mr. Too Proud

Ballard has been busy getting his personnel together for his reign as GM. I haven't seen to many Pagno sympathizers as of late and I really believe this is a lame duck year for him. I put together some options Ballard could put together to usher in a new era.

Head Coach

Kevin Sumlin

The A&M coach has ties to Indy graduating from Jesuit Preparatory School. He is a creative offensive coach. He has succeeded at every level, making his start by helping crafting a offensive scheme to help Drew Brews become a top QB in the big ten. He had stints as offensive coordinator of the Sooners before becoming a head coach of Houston. He lead them to a 12-0 start before losing conference championship and accepting a job at A&M. The 1st year the aggies switch to the SEC he lead his team to a 11-2 record. The SEC is known to be bigger stronger and faster. He was able to out coach his opponents and manage the game well enough to compete and finish 2nd in the SEC.

How he fits with the Colts:

Luck seems to excel in the no huddle fast tempo pace offense that Sumlin can bring. A&M has been outstanding at putting nfl ready offensive lineman into the league. His adaptability has seen him being successful with the likes of Johnny Manziel and losing 2 QBs due to transfer in under a month and still being able to turn out a 8-5 record.

Offensive coordinators options

Darryl Drake

Cardinals WR coach

We all loved Bruce Arians letting Luck air it out. Drake has worked big bodied with Marshall and Alshon Jefferys in Chicago. He came to Arizona and worked with smaller recievers JJ Nelson and John Brown. Regardless of their size he focus on blocking on the 2nd level which has helped Matt Forte and David Johnson put up sensational numbers.

Bill Musgrave

Broncos QB coach

The former offensive coordinator of the Raiders helped Derek Carr take a big step forward. He help revitalize Crabtree career, and utlized Cooper talent straight out of college so he could become a top 20 WR. He has been apart of pro bowl seasons of Derek Carr, Matt Ryan and Micheal Vick.

Bill Callahan

Washington offensive line coach

Callahan was the architect of the Dallas Cowboys line. He took the Raiders to the Superbowl against Gruden Tampa bay. He provides great knowledge and playoffs experience.

Defensive coordinators

Mike Pettine

Once known as Rex Ryan right hand guy, his 3-4 defenses are known to attack. He isn't just limited to 3-4 defenses, while coaching the Bills he ran a multiple scheme defense. Often making week to week and even in game adjustments to the defense alignments. He help Kiko Alonso make a name for himself and found a way to utlize Jerry Hughes when we couldn't. He has head coaching experiences with the Browns where his defense had 21 interceptions and finished 2nd in turnovers.

Winston Moss

Assistant Head Coach Packers

He is the assistant head coach and LBs coach of the Packers. There are only few teams that always seems to be well prepared and the Packers win or lose are one of them. He worked hand in hand to shape the defense with Don Capers. He developed AJ Hawk and Clay Matthews (both as OLB and ILB). He help transform Julius Peppers from 4-3 DE to a 3-4 OLB. His development of players and discipline/preparation of his defense would be a change from the current regime

Think big! Luck secured us the most desired young GM candidate in the league. There is zero reason for us to not get some of the premier head coaching candidates lining up to coach this team too. Don't settle for second stringers. Don't settle for bottom of the barrell. Think the best of the best.

17 minutes ago, stitches said:

Think big! Luck secured us the most desired young GM candidate in the league. There is zero reason for us to not get some of the premier head coaching candidates lining up to coach this team too. Don't settle for second stringers. Don't settle for bottom of the barrell. Think the best of the best.

Now that Ballard's in charge, I do feel like the Colts would have nothing but top tier candidates to choose from. But if the recent front office moves are any indicator, it'd likely be someone that Ballard has worked closely with at some point. So not a Harbaugh/Gruden type of hire, but likely an assistant or coordinator that Ballard worked with during his KC or Chicago years, & he feels is ready to take the next step.

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Now that Ballard's in charge, I do feel like the Colts would have nothing but top tier candidates to choose from. But if the recent front office moves are any indicator, it'd likely be someone that Ballard has worked closely with at some point. So not a Harbaugh/Gruden type of hire, but likely an assistant or coordinator that Ballard worked with during his KC or Chicago years, & he feels is ready to take the next step.

Yeah, that's an option. I kind of wish it would be an offensively minded coach. Now that we have a GM with defensive pedigree, I feel like we need the other strong figure to be of the offensive mastermind kind. That's why I really wanted us to go after Shanahan. Someone who would be creative with our offense and use Luck to the best of his abilities ...

I think it would be fair to give Pagano this year to get it together considering the last few years we've had a defense that was garbage enough to let Oswieler to get down the field and take time off the clock. I am one of the few Pagano 'supporters' but I agree if he can't get this team to the playoffs, hit the door. 

6 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

I'm not sure that Irsay shares that belief. I think he would prefer to go big game hunting.

At this point I'm pretty convinced that Irsay has 100% confidence in Ballard. If Ballard has someone in mind, he'd likely have Jim's blessing. I'd be a little weary about promoting a special teams coach to gead coach though, not gonna lie.

29 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

I think it would be fair to give Pagano this year to get it together considering the last few years we've had a defense that was garbage enough to let Oswieler to get down the field and take time off the clock. I am one of the few Pagano 'supporters' but I agree if he can't get this team to the playoffs, hit the door. 

This. I wouldn't say I'm a supporter but to judge him so harshly and conclusively with the bottom 5 roster he has had is unfair.

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

At this point I'm pretty convinced that Irsay has 100% confidence in Ballard. If Ballard has someone in mind, he'd likely have Jim's blessing. I'd be a little weary about promoting a special teams coach to gead coach though, not gonna lie.

Well he works for Kansas City so obviously he's not going to challenge Andy Reid for that hc spot but if you look at how the Special teams in KC is right now with players like Tyreek hill and the success he had last year and a lot of other examples (remember Albert Wilson's fake punt TD last year?)  he seems like a guy that knows how to do his job. If Ballard thinks highly enough of him to consider it than maybe he's right. Everybody's gotta start somewhere.

1 hour ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Harbaugh. It's destiny. 

Harbaugh is a control freak. So is Saban and so is Gruden. Can't see any of them working for or with Ballard. They are all Alphas.  A recipe for disaster.   If we get a new coach it's most likely a newbie.  UGH!  The thought of starting all over with a new staff, coordinators, coaches , and systems is scary.   More lost Luck years. I am really pulling for Chuck.  It looks like he has a talented GM to work with now and I'm hoping they are the team to get it done.  So far, by all accounts, they are on the same page and work well together.  But results are what counts and this year will be no different.  I am hoping Jim has found the right team to get us back to the Super Bowl. 

2 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I feel the same way.  I think Irsay trusts Ballard's vision and Ballard has made good decisions this offseason.  Like you, I'd be a little wary of promoting a special teams coach to head coach, but I have confidence in Ballard.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Harbaugh is a control freak. So is Saban and so is Gruden. Can't see any of them working for or with Ballard. They are all Alphas.  A recipe for disaster.   If we get a new coach it's most likely a newbie.  UGH!  The thought of starting all over with a new staff, coordinators, coaches , and systems is scary.   More lost Luck years. I am really pulling for Chuck.  It looks like he has a talented GM to work with now and I'm hoping they are the team to get it done.  So far, by all accounts, they are on the same page and work well together.  But results are what counts and this year will be no different.  I am hoping Jim has found the right team to get us back to the Super Bowl. 

New smarter coaches would be wonderful for luck it sure wouldn't hurt him I hope to god it happens next off-season 

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

It all sounds good until you run a stupid fake punt or can't manage the game clock or call timeouts at the wrong time or the team comes out slow ......   I could go on and on.   And now of that has anything to do with who the GM is or was 

8 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

It all sounds good until you run a stupid fake punt or can't manage the game clock or call timeouts at the wrong time or the team comes out slow ......   I could go on and on.   And now of that has anything to do with who the GM is or was 

So it was Pagano's fault the ball was snapped with the fake punt? He did not call that to happen with the lineup the Patriots had. You are so anti Pagano it wouldn't matter if the Colts won the super bowl you would find something to whine about.

4 hours ago, Zalazar Elijahh said:

Well he works for Kansas City so obviously he's not going to challenge Andy Reid for that hc spot but if you look at how the Special teams in KC is right now with players like Tyreek hill and the success he had last year and a lot of other examples (remember Albert Wilson's fake punt TD last year?)  he seems like a guy that knows how to do his job. If Ballard thinks highly enough of him to consider it than maybe he's right. Everybody's gotta start somewhere.

He was also the ST coach in Chicago when that unit was elite.

45 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So it was Pagano's fault the ball was snapped with the fake punt? He did not call that to happen with the lineup the Patriots had. You are so anti Pagano it wouldn't matter if the Colts won the super bowl you would find something to whine about.

And you are so pro chuck we could go winless and you'd want to give him an extension 

When fans think they need the best coach in order to win championships, I think of Bobby Knight at Texas Tech or Larry Brown wherever he plays or Don Shula and Jimmy Johnson for the Dolphins. All of those coaches won championships with talented teams but couldn't without talent.   I say we Assemble the Avengers Front office and scout team and let's become the most talented team.  Then let's see what happens.

1 hour ago, Coltfreak said:

Sounds good until you decide to bypass Marshawn Lynch and throw the ball on the one to win the SB.  That had nothing to do with who the GM was.  I could go on and on. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Why in the # would anyone with half a brain even send that formation on the field?     

And of of course you find something to argue about 

6 hours ago, a06cc said:

Only way I can see Pagano getting fired is if we have a losing record next season. We lose to HOU twice again then Pagano is gone. 

Pagano is gone regardless of the record. He is simply not a coach that can take this team to the promiselands.

7 hours ago, Mr. Too Proud said:

Whats the hate for Sumlin? I was trying to think outside the box and they do have the A&M connection (Ballard and Sumlin). Just want to hear why there's so many no's...

Ballard was never at Texas A&M

He was at a small school called Texas A&M-Kingsille.   

They're in the same Texas educational system,  but not in the same world as far as athletics....

Completely different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_A%26M_University–Kingsville

2 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

Why in the # would anyone with half a brain even send that formation on the field?     

And of of course you find something to argue about 

Even Belichick said it wasn't a bad play or formation. It was executed bad.

Of course when you high jack every thread with your never ending whine fest of Pagano you wouldn't accept that.