Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

9 DLs on roster now...who will be cut?

rock8591

Who will be cut?

IMO Parry, I am 99% sure will be. They didn't draft a legit 2-gap NT in the 4th round just to put him on the PS. They also signed Al Woods.

I see either TY McGill or Margus Hunt waived; likely Hunt IMO because despite his $2 million salary, it has only $500K dead cap, and he is set to be 30 when the season starts. Most likely won't be in the long term plans.

Here's what I see the DL rotation being:

NT - Hankins, Woods, Stewart

DE - Anderson, McGill

DE - Ridgeway, Langford

Now that I think of it, it's not out of the question that Langford is cut either...

There's very little dead cap with 4 million in cap savings if we cut him...could be enough to sign another FA. He's also 31 now.

Unfortunately the nature of the business.

4 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Now that I think of it, it's not out of the question that Langford is cut either...

There's very little dead cap with 4 million in cap savings if we cut him...could be enough to sign another FA. He's also 31 now.

I think that's a bit out of the realm of reality. He's been productive and dropped off due to injury last year. Keeping him seems a no brainer for this year at least, with nobody clearly better at his position in the rotation. Next year might be where Ballard starts looking to replace him though, due to age/injury concerns.

14 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

I don't know if cutting Langford is the right move this year. If there is an injury who can play at the same level as Langford? I think Ridgeway is on his way to being a stud, but is he there yet?

If we keep 7 d lineman IMO they will be

K. Langford 

J. Hankins 

H. Anderson 

H. Ridgeway 

A. Woods or D. Parry  (whoever coaches like the most for backup NT) 

T.Y Mcgill  (Hunt may push for his spot but i hope T.Y gets the spot)

Grover Stewart  (as a fourth round pick i would think he makes the roster so he wouldn't seem like a waste pick, he would NOT make it to our practice squad)

Again this is IF we keep 7 players! If we keep 6 then i see T.Y Mcgill as the odd man out. But i really hope we keep 7..how much we have last season?

Just now, TYtheMan13 said:

If we keep 7 d lineman IMO they will be

K. Langford 

J. Hankins 

H. Anderson 

H. Ridgeway 

A. Woods or D. Parry  (whoever coaches like the most for backup NT) 

T.Y Mcgill  (Hunt may push for his spot but i hope T.Y gets the spot)

Grover Stewart  (as a fourth round pick i would think he makes the roster so he wouldn't seem like a waste pick, he would NOT make it to our practice squad)

Again this is IF we keep 7 players! If we keep 6 then i see T.Y Mcgill as the odd man out. But i really hope we keep 7..how much we have last season?

7 is the ideal number, and it's the standard number of D linemen you carry. The big boys tire out and you need to keep a rotation, and that includes keeping guys in case a member of that rotation gets hurt.

1 hour ago, rock8591 said:

Who will be cut?

IMO Parry, I am 99% sure will be. They didn't draft a legit 2-gap NT in the 4th round just to put him on the PS. They also signed Al Woods.

I see either TY McGill or Margus Hunt waived; likely Hunt IMO because despite his $2 million salary, it has only $500K dead cap, and he is set to be 30 when the season starts. Most likely won't be in the long term plans.

DE - Anderson, McGill

DE - Ridgeway, Langford

You don't sign a player to a two year deal if he is not in your plans.

3 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

It'll come down to a battle between Parry and Woods (unless Parry is cut for off the field issues), and Margus Hunt and McGill. Two of these four will be cut.

Ballard said something this morning about how Parry won't be cut over his off field issue.

Parry I wouldn't assume is a goner. He has played in every game and doesn't get injured, regardless of what you may think of him.

Langford is far from safe as well. New regime and he's no spring chicken coming off an injury.

Just remember, days before the draft some would have bet their house some guys would be gone in the first round...you get my point.

Parry isn't great, but he's always available and Langford is old and far from a stud who's un-cuttable.

3 hours ago, IinD said:

Parry I wouldn't assume is a goner. He has played in every game and doesn't get injured, regardless of what you may think of him.

Langford is far from safe as well. New regime and he's no spring chicken coming off an injury.

Just remember, days before the draft some would have bet their house some guys would be gone in the first round...you get my point.

Parry isn't great, but he's always available and Langford is old and far from a stud who's un-cuttable.

Um, Langford was a stud in 2015 when he was healthy. He had never missed a game prior to that. Only reason he could be cut is if he's not back to 100%

Grading_The_Players.jpg

Here's my depth chart of the current roster, including my prediction of my final 53. Assuming no major FA signings or trades, here's what I see.

IMO Parry is def gone with the draft of Glover Stewart. We didn't draft someone in the 4th round to let it go to the practice squad.

Of our 9 DLs, 2 are gone for sure making a total of 7. Amongst the 2 to be cut will likely be the following:

McGill - $0 dead cap

Parry - 110K dead cap

Woods - 250K dead cap

Hunt - 500K dead cap

At OLB, Maggitt will def be gone before Mingo is; he only has a $4000 dead cap (NOT A TYPO) while Mingo will stay simply because he was a former 1st rounder and we'll still hoping he pulls a Jerry Hughes after the latter went to Buffalo.

16 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Grading_The_Players.jpg

Here's my depth chart of the current roster, including my prediction of my final 53. Assuming no major FA signings or trades, here's what I see.

IMO Parry is def gone with the draft of Glover Stewart. We didn't draft someone in the 4th round to let it go to the practice squad.

Of our 9 DLs, 2 are gone for sure making a total of 7. Amongst the 2 to be cut will likely be the following:

McGill - $0 dead cap

Parry - 110K dead cap

Woods - 250K dead cap

Hunt - 500K dead cap

At OLB, Maggitt will def be gone before Mingo is; he only has a $4000 dead cap (NOT A TYPO) while Mingo will stay simply because he was a former 1st rounder and we'll still hoping he pulls a Jerry Hughes after the latter went to Buffalo.

Barring some camp breakout story, I don't see how this is wrong. The only thing is they might cut Hunt and keep McGill as a 3rd down DT, but that might be a bit too light on the DE's

48 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Grading_The_Players.jpg

McGill - $0 dead cap

Parry - 110K dead cap

Woods - 250K dead cap

Hunt - 500K dead cap

Mingo can compete, i think he could shine in the Camp.
I can see all the Defense spots wide open for someone to take, there's a lot of depth, preseason games are gonna be "fun" because all the LB have to cement their position.

In hindsight, Hunt will probably be gone before McGill. Hunt will be 30 when the season starts while McGill will only be 25. Dead cap for both are very low.

Also, McGill has better pass rush ability in limited duty, while Hunt is really more like Daniel Adongo - good at shot put, bench press, etc but not so much at football.

updatedroster.jpg

11 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Who will be cut?

DE - Anderson, McGill

DE - Ridgeway, Langford

I think Margus Hunt makes as a reserve because of special teams and just his overall versatility. Also think he will play better on the interior as a 5 or 3 tech versus solely playing as a DE. I think Woods and Parry are cut. I think Stewart will show enough for the staff to feel confident.

I see this as:

Langford

Hankins

Anderson

Ridgeway

Mcgill

Hunt

Stewart

I think that's your best 7

3 hours ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

We may cut McGill on talent but i wish every DL we have now had this guys motor.

On talent?  The guy makes plays when he's actually given a chance. Keep McGill over hunt and parry in a heartbeat.

15 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Actually I'll agree with you there. As you said he's 31. Hunt will be 30 but he's a young 30. Got drafted in 2011 or 2012.

I think Parry and Langford go. Possibly McGill too.

Honestly, Parry has an uphill battle here. He's getting a chance to keep his job but he likely will be facing a suspension from the league. Anyone who watched that arrest video can understand that he deserves it. That means a minimum of 2 games, and it most likely gets him cut in camp. 

Because of that, the team will need another body that can play NT beyond Hankins and the rookie, and that suggests Woods will survive. 

My guess: the final cut is between McGill and Hunt. If Hunt shows the intangibles they are looking for, including great ST play, McGill is gone. 

11 hours ago, J@son said:

Um, Langford was a stud in 2015 when he was healthy. He had never missed a game prior to that. Only reason he could be cut is if he's not back to 100%

Stud? C'mon man...serviceable, yes, but he's not untouchable.

He's not tied to this regime. Knee injuries after age 30 are usually a death sentence in the nfl.

I'm not saying he's gone, but to say he's in and Parry is gone as a definite is wrong.

Parry could be valuable depth, he should never have been relied on like he has. That's not his fault being overplayed.

5 hours ago, BOTT said:

On talent?  The guy makes plays when he's actually given a chance. Keep McGill over hunt and parry in a heartbeat.

That's exactly what I'm saying Bott. I agree with you 100%. I see a lot of posters saying McGill could be cut not sure why? Sorry I was being sarcastic. McGill is a solid rotational guy. I hope he stays in Indy.