Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Charlie Campbell's Latest 5 Rd Mock (spoiler: it's borderline arousing)

https://walterfootball.com/draft2017charlie.php

Here are the Colts' picks:

1) Derek Barnett, EDGE, Tennessee
2) Chidobe Awuzie, CB, Colorado
3) Marlon Mack, RB, USF
4) Howard Wilson, CB, Houston
4) Anthony Walker, ILB, Northwestern
4) George Kittle, TE, Iowa
5) De'Veon Smith, RB, Michigan

One of my favorite I've seen all offseason.  Only complaint is taking a second RB in the 5th.  But it's a 5th rounder so who really cares

44 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

3) Marlon Mack, RB, USF

One of my favorite I've seen all offseason.  Only complaint is taking a second RB in the 5th.  But it's a 5th rounder so who really cares

Not a fan of Barnett, nor any RB in the first 3 rounds. Can probably get a James Connor or Brian Hill in the 4th.

32 minutes ago, stitches said:

Barnett with Foster/Reddick still on the board, Howard Wilson, Anthony Walker(although I can live with it in the 4th), De'Veon Smith.

In regards to Foster, I'm seeing stuff about his medical re check and that it didn't go well, his shoulder isn't healed and may need another surgery. I definitely see him slipping and I don't think he's gonna be a guy we should use our 1st on with his big medical red flag and then the fact we don't really know if he's gonna be capable of handling the mental side of the game if he has trouble understanding schemes and Xs and Os and what not.

2 hours ago, bananabucket said:

3) Marlon Mack, RB, USF

That would make me very happy 

18 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

So what's the reasoning behind taking Mack that high? I'd take Hill or McNicols over him and they'll be available in the 4th.

Remember,  everyone sees the same thing differently.

32 different teams = 32 different viewpoints.

You see Hill or McNichols as better than Mack.     And maybe I'd even agree with you.     Or not.    But some teams will prefer Mack.       And that's the beauty of this.....    we all see the same thing differently.

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Remember,  everyone sees the same thing differently.

32 different teams = 32 different viewpoints.

You see Hill or McNichols as better than Mack.     And maybe I'd even agree with you.     Or not.    But some teams will prefer Mack.       And that's the beauty of this.....    we all see the same thing differently.

We will find out in a week

Can we take Myles Garrett in the 1st and Soloman Thomas in the 2nd? And for the love of god, trade a compensatory 7th rounder to the Jets for Sheldon Richardson already.

We're trying to win the Super Bowl and the NY Jets are illegally sabotaging us from doing so.

haha

37 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Idk if 3rd round is his value. He's kind of a jack of all trades master of none.  

Master of none?

6 of Mack's 15 TD's this past season went for 43 yards or longer.

Mack averaged 100+ yards per game over a span of THREE seasons.

He's a lot better than you think he is......

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/marlon-mack?id=2558123

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Idk if 3rd round is his value. He's kind of a jack of all trades master of none.  

Can't say I buy that .   Mack is a damn good back talent wise, he has some fixable drawbacks like the fumbles and some pass blocking I saw, but I have no hesitation saying he'll be very good.   3-4th round I think is his value as well.  I think he's better than Mcnichols and Brian Hill. 

Eh, not too bad. Wouldn't say I loved it much though.

Barnett is a good player but he's an awful scheme fit for us. He's a 4-3LE all day long. I can't see him ever being a standup rusher.

Awuzie gives us versatility as both a CB/KR but if Sidney Jones is there then he has to be the pick imo. Even with the injury (which isn't actually that bad if you read the reports from the surgeon) he is a premier press man shutdown CB. I'm not sure he'll get there, but if he does, he's my pick every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Mack is a tough one. He is more of a scat back than a power guy, but he's more explosive and bouncy than he is quick. He is a decent pass catcher and could be a good screen back. He also has an annoying tendancy to bump runs to the outside if he cant see the hole inside. Also a bad fumbler but that can be fixed. I think there will be better backs available at this point.     

Wilson, Walker and Kittle are all good picks at that point.

I don't like the 2nd RB pick in the 5th. I'd rather look at another safety at that point. In a deep safety class we might be able to snag some good talent to mould behind Butler and Geathers.   

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Master of none?

6 of Mack's 15 TD's this past season went for 43 yards or longer.

Mack averaged 100+ yards per game over a span of THREE seasons.

He's a lot better than you think he is......

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/marlon-mack?id=2558123

I've seen some tape. I just didn't see an every down, between the tackles back. Funny that his NFL comp is Denard Robinson. He's essentially a scat back. He can occasionally break big runs but in the NFL everyone will be faster. I just don't see one aspect that he'll be great at at the next level. Not saying he's a bad player, but I'd take him in the 4th of later.

15 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I wouldn't put money on that.  But it would be crazy to draft two RBs.  

Why would it be crazy to draft 2 RB's.  You need 3 on the roster at bare minimum and you are probably better off with 4 and the RB has one of the highest injury rates of any position.  

I mean you can argue that another player might be better value at a certain point in the draft, but it's not completely crazy to get 2 RB's.  

15 hours ago, weslo1812 said:

In regards to Foster, I'm seeing stuff about his medical re check and that it didn't go well, his shoulder isn't healed and may need another surgery. I definitely see him slipping and I don't think he's gonna be a guy we should use our 1st on with his big medical red flag and then the fact we don't really know if he's gonna be capable of handling the mental side of the game if he has trouble understanding schemes and Xs and Os and what not.

That speculation of Foster was apparently fake news, found out this morning in a separate thread. 

35 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Why would it be crazy to draft 2 RB's.  You need 3 on the roster at bare minimum and you are probably better off with 4 and the RB has one of the highest injury rates of any position.  

I mean you can argue that another player might be better value at a certain point in the draft, but it's not completely crazy to get 2 RB's.  

IMO (and I may have been wrong a few times in my life) we could easily get an UDFA equivalent to any RB we'd take that late in the draft.  This class is deeper than the last few for RBs.

In this particular case Smith is a slower Turbin.  Even though Smith is from my neck of the woods growing up, I can't give him props since he went to that school up north.

20 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

IMO (and I may have been wrong a few times in my life) we could easily get an UDFA equivalent to any RB we'd take that late in the draft.  This class is deeper than the last few for RBs.

In this particular case Smith is a slower Turbin.  Even though Smith is from my neck of the woods growing up, I can't give him props since he went to that school up north.

That might be true if we where talking about the 7th round or even the 6th.  But the 5th round is still typically a step above your typical UDFA.  

But still I'm not opposed to the value argument.  But if an RB is the BPA at that stage then an RB still makes sense.  It's a heavily rotated position which see's quite a few injuries and you need a minimum of 3 on your roster and you are probably better off with 4.