Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Former Colts player Bjoern Werner retires

RockThatBlue

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, GusBus24 said:

So all those operations especially on the knees and the colts didn't notice this before drafting him in the first round. Another reason Grigson needs to go!

Werner was medically cleared by our team doctors.    And by the doctors of many other teams as well.

Grigson doesn't make this call all by himself without a lot of input from other people inside the building.     But a team doctor can take a player off the board and make him undraftable.     Happens all the time.

You can build a strong case not to draft Werner without getting into his health.      Yes,  Grigson knew about any surgeries prior to being drafted.       By the way,  some of those surgeries that Werner has had came once he started playing in the NFL.     About half.    The rest were before....

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Werner was medically cleared by our team doctors.    And by the doctors of many other teams as well.

Grigson doesn't make this call all by himself without a lot of input from other people inside the building.     But a team doctor can take a player off the board and make him undraftable.     Happens all the time.

You can build a strong case not to draft Werner without getting into his health.      Yes,  Grigson knew about any surgeries prior to being drafted.       By the way,  some of those surgeries that Werner has had came once he started playing in the NFL.     About half.    The rest were before....

Still a horrible pick! Look at all the names we could have used after he was picked!

1 minute ago, GusBus24 said:

Still a horrible pick! Look at all the names we could have used after he was picked!

Agreed....    and I wrote that.....

I was one of many here that night that would've preferred CB Xaiver Rhodes who went later to Minnesota or D'Andre Hopkins, who went later to Houston.  

But, we were trying to find pass rush and failed spectacularly.

Meanwhile Xavier Rhodes had another strong season with Minnesota, further establishing himself as a top tier CB. But anyway. Good riddance Bjoern. You bum. I hated the pick when we made it and we all now know it was a stupid move. We could have had Rhodes and Brandon Williams. Instead we got that loser and another loser named Hugh Thornton.

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I was one of many here that night that would've preferred CB Xaiver Rhodes who went later to Minnesota or D'Andre Hopkins, who went later to Houston.  

Oh 100% or how about LeVeon Bell or Jamie Collins or Kawann Short, Eddie Lacy, Travis Kelce, Tyrann Mathieu, list could keep going but instead they insisted on a german player that no one knew much about.

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'd go so far as to suggest Chuck's input on the defensive side carried more weight than Grigson's.  Vice-versa on offense.

http://nfltraderumors.co/former-colts-first-round-pick-bjoern-werner-says-nfl-career/

This makes 2 first round picks spent on guys who are not even in the league 3 years after being acquired....  not even on a practice squad.  You can say Grigs has improved, but dang.......  he had nowhere to go but up.....and he still isn't near good enough in my opinion.......

23 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

http://nfltraderumors.co/former-colts-first-round-pick-bjoern-werner-says-nfl-career/

This makes 2 first round picks spent on guys who are not even in the league 3 years after being acquired....  not even on a practice squad.  You can say Grigs has improved, but dang.......  he had nowhere to go but up.....and he still isn't near good enough in my opinion.......

There's no way to know who is going to be in the league after 3 years.

No one was questioning the Browns when they took Trent 3rd overall.     Trent was a tremendous college player.

And Werner had a first round grade from most analysts that we all get to see.     But he was viewed more as a 4-3 DE and now a 3-4 OLB.

Injuries and performance knocked out Werner.     You can't predict that. 

Desire,  effort,   and a lack of maturity knocked out Richardson.      Those trip up many young men who get huge money thrown their way early in life.       Stuff happens.       We got no bang for our buck --- twice.

The job looks easy in hindsight.     The job is harder in reality.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I get the bad feeling this may happen this year too....... This is what happened when you reach.

1 hour ago, GusBus24 said:

Oh 100% or how about LeVeon Bell or Jamie Collins or Kawann Short, Eddie Lacy, Travis Kelce, Tyrann Mathieu, list could keep going but instead they insisted on a german player that no one knew much about.

It's easy to mention a list of names of players we could of had years after the draft.  Unfortunately other teams have to draft as well which means you cannot have them all.  Plus majority of the players you mentioned were not first round players.  

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I get the bad feeling this may happen this year too....... This is what happened when you reach.

The year we picked Werner we were picking roughly 24th or so....

This year,  it's 14/15.       I don't think we'll have to reach at all.     I expect a quality player will be there, whether it's pass rush or corner or ILB.        We're going to get somebody who is very good.

That's my expectation.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

This year,  it's 14/15.       I don't think we'll have to reach at all.     I expect a quality player will be there, whether it's pass rush or corner or ILB.        We're going to get somebody who is very good.

That's my expectation.

:agree:  :applause:

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That's my expectation.

depends on who's doing the picking

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Meanwhile Xavier Rhodes had another strong season with Minnesota, further establishing himself as a top tier CB. But anyway. Good riddance Bjoern. You bum. I hated the pick when we made it and we all now know it was a stupid move. We could have had Rhodes and Brandon Williams. Instead we got that loser and another loser named Hugh Thornton.

Grow up kid.

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Everyone is a draft expert afterwards. 

Last year all I heard was how we shouldn't take Zeke Elliott if he were available.  

Yeah I bet not 1 person in here would've took TY Hilton in Round 3 like Grigs did either lmao. He only led the league in receiving Yards and was a steal. He is awesome actually but Grigs gets no credit for that, smh. Just like he traded for Vontae Davis as well which offsets the Trent trade IMO.

48 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

It's easy to mention a list of names of players we could of had years after the draft.  Unfortunately other teams have to draft as well which means you cannot have them all.  Plus majority of the players you mentioned were not first round players.  

I know they weren't which makes it even worse that we picked Werner in the first over them!

42 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I bet not 1 person in here would've took TY Hilton in Round 3 like Grigs did either lmao. He only led the league in receiving Yards and was a steal. He is awesome actually but Grigs gets no credit for that, smh. Just like he traded for Vontae Davis as well which offsets the Trent trade IMO.

the Davis trade was nice, but it does not offset a number 1 pick being completely lost. Davis won't be in the league much longer. He's not that young, and we see what happens when you play past your prime (Revis) (Mathis)

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Lets hope history doesn't repeat itself if Cook or Fournette are on the board. ...

Oh, I give Grigson credit for the TY pick, was a good find.   all his other picks were either pretty much no brainers, or avg. guys at best.  Allen and Fleener was pretty good at the time......and Kelly looks promising.  Haeg may turn out to be one of his highest value picks long term, I feel....... now   Throw in Luck as well, solid choice (no brainer)  Irsay pretty much predetermined that pick......that's what, 6 picks.  out of somewhere around 35?

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

The number of ways I hate this post are many - such the 20/20 hindsight of Xavier Rhodes.  But what I really can't stand is using the "you bum" or "loser" phrase.  To me that is symptom of what is wrong with society.  Why get personal?  Why the need to disparage when in fact he is a decent guy who just did not play football well enough?

2 hours ago, GusBus24 said:

Not sure Eddie Lacy belongs on that list. I agree with your other names though. You won't find many people who liked that pick.

49 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

the Davis trade was nice, but it does not offset a number 1 pick being completely lost. Davis won't be in the league much longer. He's not that young, and we see what happens when you play past your prime (Revis) (Mathis)

The Trent trade was Bad but I didn't see hardly no Colts fans disliking it when it happened. I wasn't a member here but was a member at ESPN. Most Colts fans loved it when it happened.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

depends on who's doing the picking

No, not for me.

No matter who is picking,  I expect a very good player at that pick.

Grigson had a very good draft last year.     Very good.     Only Green is the big question mark.

Otherwise, a lot of talent.

35 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

The number of ways I hate this post are many - such the 20/20 hindsight of Xavier Rhodes.  But what I really can't stand is using the "you bum" or "loser" phrase.  To me that is symptom of what is wrong with society.  Why get personal?  Why the need to disparage when in fact he is a decent guy who just did not play football well enough?

I agree on the personal name calling. 

But I think more people(on this forum and off) were thinking Rhodes name was going to be called instead of Werners, so not much hindsight being used there.