Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Titan/Colts Defensive changes.

Lawrence Owen

I saw some VERY aggressive play  calling today by Ted.  I bet they blitzed more than 50% of the game today.  With multiple different looks.  Even a few time where all of the front 7 were standing up.  This is inspiring.  

Bad tackling still needs work, but the aggresive nature of todays play calling has me giggling.  I love blitzing, Even Run blitzing.  If you KNOW they are going to run the ball (like the Titans love to do), the why not send them all gunning for the runner instead of leaving them back and letting the runner come to you.  Just have the safety watch for the screen and gogogo.

I just can not say enough about how much i enjoyec the defensive play calling today.

11 minutes ago, BOTT said:

meh, the pressure was still close to non existent most of the game.

Couple that with how inaccurate Mariota is and you have today's outcome.

I thought he was supposed to be this electric young game changer? He looked like Vince Young at times with his inaccuracy.

11 minutes ago, krunk said:

Thought Patrick Robinson improved on his play from the Bears game.

somewhat yes.  He's had injuries quite a bit so far this year, so some explinations to his play.  but no QB pressure is a big point.  Without being able to get to the QB with just 4, blitzing is the only real way to get pressure.  This was my point of the entire thread, pressuring the QB in any way shape or form, (even if you just make him move around without getting to him) make him throw off,  and does not allow a WR to just keep running until he finds an open spot. ( which makes corners look bad even when it's not thier fault)

1 minute ago, Lawrence Owen said:

somewhat yes.  He's had injuries quite a bit so far this year, so some explinations to his play.  but no QB pressure is a big point.  Without being able to get to the QB with just 4, blitzing is the only real way to get pressure.  This was my point of the entire thread, pressuring the QB in any way shape or form, (even if you just make him move around without getting to him) make him throw off,  and does not allow a WR to just keep running until he finds an open spot. ( which makes corners look bad even when it's not thier fault)

We got to Mariota 3 times I believe so not bad.

Just now, krunk said:

We got to Mariota 3 times I believe so not bad.

and hit him multiple times, made him move around more often than not.  This made his timing go awry.  which added to bad accuracy. 

Sacks are nice numbers, and gives help on stopping 3rd downs,..but pressures are a main reason for good pass defense.

1 hour ago, IinD said:

I thought he was supposed to be this electric young game changer? He looked like Vince Young at times with his inaccuracy.

Young was better by far and could destroy this defense with his legs only..lol even if young did good against us our offense had Reggie Marv Clark Peyton no way he'd ever outscore them consistently 

11 minutes ago, will426 said:

Young was better by far and could destroy this defense with his legs only..lol even if young did good against us our offense had Reggie Marv Clark Peyton no way he'd ever outscore them consistently 

Agreed about Young.

I was only referring to his passing. He throws bullets with no touch or throws way to high. A lot like Vince did.

I'm also not sure why Tenn didn't try to pressure us with using him as a runner much.

I'd like to see Edwin Jackson and Akeem Ayers start on this defense. Both are better than the guys above the, in my opinion.

Jackson can actually cover in the passing game, and Ayers has 2 sacks in limited snaps which is pretty solid.

Also props to Patrick Robinson who has been much maligned on this forum. He played a great game not even including the INT that was robbed from him.

The Defense looked as soft as ever for 90% of the game, and even had it's weekly meltdown drive where they just hand the opposing offense a free touchdown. They made just enough good plays for the offense to bail them out this week, though.

That's what this year is going to boil down to. Does the defense suck too much to carry this week?

I am one who is not impressed with the defense the way they played today, just short of a few individual plays. We gave up the long 3rd  downs and then these Neanderthals who keep performing stupid, drive helping penalties, they have to be fixed. The missed tackles, omg, they need to work on those. If it weren't for an inaccurate Marriott throwing the ball and a few drops, this game could have ended differently. Now some of the inaccurate throws were because of some pressure but not all. I was not any more please with this defensive effort than I was last weeks or the weeks before that. I am still disappointed in the defensive game plans much of the time that we seem to put in. I think if we start to think Sundays defense was pretty good, weve really lost sight of what good defenses should look like.

8 hours ago, Mr Coffee said:

Let's see if you're "giggling" about the defense after the Green Bay and Pitt games.

3 hours ago, Jdubu said:

I am one who is not impressed with the defense the way they played today, just short of a few individual plays. We gave up the long 3rd  downs and then these Neanderthals who keep performing stupid, drive helping penalties, they have to be fixed. The missed tackles, omg, they need to work on those. If it weren't for an inaccurate Marriott throwing the ball and a few drops, this game could have ended differently. Now some of the inaccurate throws were because of some pressure but not all. I was not any more please with this defensive effort than I was last weeks or the weeks before that. I am still disappointed in the defensive game plans much of the time that we seem to put in. I think if we start to think Sundays defense was pretty good, weve really lost sight of what good defenses should look like.

I'm not saying the Defense was great...or even overall good.  I was applauding the DC for the aggresive play calling to suppliment the lack of QB pressure we've had so far this year.

Tackling is a HUGE importance to get fixed.  If we can get these guys to just tackle better, being an aggresive defense would pay off dividends.  The ONLY playcalling i had real issues with is that last drive.  Why this DC wants to play prevent on the back end, and soft up front when you have the lead is beyond me.  Forceing them to make mistakes like what happened many times throughout the game seems a better choice.  Why give them free yardage?

14 hours ago, IinD said:

I compared him to vince when he was drafted. For that very reason 

On 10/24/2016 at 7:43 AM, Lawrence Owen said:

I'm not saying the Defense was great...or even overall good.  I was applauding the DC for the aggresive play calling to suppliment the lack of QB pressure we've had so far this year.

Tackling is a HUGE importance to get fixed.  If we can get these guys to just tackle better, being an aggresive defense would pay off dividends.  The ONLY playcalling i had real issues with is that last drive.  Why this DC wants to play prevent on the back end, and soft up front when you have the lead is beyond me.  Forceing them to make mistakes like what happened many times throughout the game seems a better choice.  Why give them free yardage?

Maybe I get caught too much in watching the game to see the scheme but I was not happy to watch time and time again to see our cb's lined 10 yards back instead of knocking these receivers off the route at the line. It's maddening to watch this and we have 2 guys running this defense that come from the school of aggressive Baltimore style defense yet we play like little soft marsh mellows. It's like we just play defense to hope they make a mistake and we luck out and change to our offense. I do not understand this defense style.