Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The reasons Osweiller chose Houston

loudnproudcolt

Story on CBS as to why Osweiller left Denver and went to Houston. No disrespect to Houston, but the reasons he gave were ridiculous in my opinion. It had nothing to do with anything else but money. Elway was not going to pay big for a guy with only a 7 game sample size since he was not sure what he had. Oswiller had a couple of good games, but the defense was the reason Denver won last year, and even Peyton would tell you that. Houston had to take a gamble. They have competed for the last several years, but it was due to the defense, and the QB was the main liability. O'Brien knew it was going to cost him his job, and I am guessing the owner, McNair felt it was time to try and attain a QB who was not seen as a placeholder.

OsWeiller reasons on why he left: The first reason, where he felt he could have the most success playing QB. I can believe this one, since O'Brien is known for developing QB's, but Brock had just spent 4 years sitting and watching behind Peyton. That was the best education he could ever get, and Kubiak was going to put him in as good of a position as O'Brien could, although he does not have that QB reputation. As far as reputation, anyone who is the OC with Tom Brady in charge should look like a guru. Also, as far as Denver goes, I think Elway is a pretty good person, although not a coach, to have to help you in your progression of being a QB. In fact, I would want Elway instead of O'Brien!

Second, he wanted to go to a place where he felt they had the best chance for long term success. Once again, no insult to Houston, but how can you look at Houston and Denver's record since Houston entered the league and say Houston gives me the best chance. Yes Houston drafted offensive assets this year, but you have no idea how good they will be. The offense is still unproven. Denver's line may be a little shaky, but their skill positions at WR are better. Thomas offsets Hopkins, and Sanders wins out over new drafted players. Plus as good as Houston's defense is, even with the losses on Denver's defense, it is still better than Houston's D.

Next if you just look at the history of the franchises, Denver is a model franchise with 3 SB wins and 6 appearances. Houston in its existence of 16 years I believe, 2

appearances I believe. Now past is not a full proof predictor, but it does show stability of franchises,which means a lot in today's NFL. So once again, does not hold true.

Hey even as a rabid Indy fan, I liked Houston's draft, but you have no idea how they will turn out. Plus a 7 game sample size, behind a great defense gives you no indication how good Osweiller will be. It is only a 2 year contract for guaranteed money purposes, but Elway was not going to give him 18M/yr. Houston swooped in with a huge offer, and he took it. I would have done the same thing, but just say why you did it, like Malik Jackson did when he left Denver for Jacksonville. It was for the money! .

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/osweiler-reveals-two-reasons-why-he-spurned-the-broncos-for-houston/

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't blame Brock at all. He moved into a certain starting spot and gets paid a bunch. I am not too sure about Elway being a pretty good person but who really knows? I am not going to say Brock wont be good or bad because put in the right position does make a difference. He is not young and just might be past making mistakes a young player normally makes. He has to have picked up some knowledge from Manning on how to prepare to play in the NFL I would think. I do know that any QB backing up Manning don't get a lot of reps as long as Manning is the starter. As great as Manning was he was never known to take a backup under his wings and do a lot of mentoring. I, like everyone else will just have to wait and see I guess.

1 hour ago, CF4L said:

He should just admit he left for the $$$ who would blame him? I don't.

You can't be 100% sure that is the reason not unless you know him on a personal level. If money was the only reason he took a nice contract, who can blame him? He has been around for a while and he took a contract that would set him for life. He may or may not earned that contract. Besides, he joined our division. If some think he is not going to good. All the better for the Colts.

37 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You can't be 100% sure that is the reason not unless you know him on a personal level. If money was the only reason he took a nice contract, who can blame him? He has been around for a while and he took a contract that would set him for life. He may or may not earned that contract. Besides, he joined our division. If some think he is not going to good. All the better for the Colts.

IMO the money was a big part of it,  but the contract Denver was offering also would have set him up for life.  I believe the other contributing factor was Denver benching him to put an underwhelming (surely in his eyes) Manning back in hurt his ego. 

1 minute ago, esmort said:

IMO the money was a big part of it,  but the contract Denver was offering also would have set him up for life.  I believe the other contributing factor was Denver benching him to put an underwhelming (surely in his eyes) Manning back in hurt his ego. 

Could be. He now has his chance. We wait to see.

3 hours ago, CF4L said:

Exactly...He's young...he didn't get 1st round money when he came out and he wanted the highest contract he could get ..

But I dont think he's telling the whole story about how he feels and its probably best he doesn't until he proves himself in Houston.

6 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Exactly...He's young...he didn't get 1st round money when he came out and he wanted the highest contract he could get ..

But I dont think he's telling the whole story about how he feels and its probably best he doesn't until he proves himself in Houston.

That might be one thing he learned from Manning. How to handle the press and media. Manning has always side stepped any negative stuff.

I think Brock viewed the Houston opportunity as being not too different in terms of the strengths and the weaknesses of the team.  Plus a move to Houston guarantees he won't have to deal with any type of Brett Favre like situations where Peyton decides he wants to play again and he is moved back to the bench.  In Houston he is the clear cut starting quarterback and there is no one who will come out of retirement that the team will favor to play over him.  Overall I think it was a combination of the make up of the team personnel wise, coaching staff philosophies were similar, money was good and no need to fear Peyton coming out of retirement.

I'm sure there were several reasons but money would be on top of the list.   Good for him.   Houston is an up and coming team where expectations will not be as high and money is better.   Seems like a no brainer of a decision.  

On 5/22/2016 at 0:01 PM, CF4L said:

You don't and I don't, but a lot of people would.  A lot of people think players owe something to their franchises beyond their contract.  

As much as he might deny it, part of me thinks some of it has to do with him being benched for Peyton.  

Anyone could see based on stats that Peyton didn't have much left and Osweiller was the better option.  But they where clearly looking for an excuse to put Peyton back on the field. 

As much as everyone cares about Peyton's legacy, Osweiller doesn't and for good reason and he felt as if he had done enough to earn the starting role.  

Why would he want to play for a team that wasn't going to give him a fair shot and let the best player play?

And compensation is a big part too.  I don't think Denver could offer him as much as he could get elsewhere.  They where busy trying to bring Von Miller back who was the obvious priority.  

No matter what his reasons are, you can't blame him for it.  It's his choice. . . cities and franchises don't own players and a player doesn't have any reason to be loyal to a city or franchise outside of honoring his contract and playing and working as hard as he can for the contract he's on.  Osweiller gave Denver that.  

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Compensation is the exact reason most people end up at the job they are at

Yep I mean sure there were probably other factors involved but mostly its $$$ and you would be hard pressed to find anyone turning down that offer from the Texans when they are basing it on the 7 starts he had last year.

1 hour ago, Archer said:

Ah, c'mon.  Give him a break.  It's not proper QB speak to say you left for the money.  This is the team he's going to lead, he's gotta say complimentary things about them!

He should say, "I left because I love the state of Texas, and its fans, and the great weather, and... Ahh who am I kidding. I'm not running for President, I just want your money!"

First of all I don't know how much Brock picked up from peyton,if anything. We all know he doesn't like to tutor other qb's. Just ask Painter lol.

Most qb's have ego's and there probably was resentment for being replaced and taking away his glory of being a Starting SB Champ QB!

And then add that another team is offering more money. It was a chance to get more $$$ AND stick it to elway.

When I first posted this story, as I said, I have no problem with him leaving for the money, as we all would. I just believe the one thing he learned from Peyton was how to handle the media. He found a clever way to say, Team A clearly wanted me badly, and was willing to open the pocketbook. If they value me this much, I am going to use Peyton speak as to the future of the franchise as to why I came. In fact, I think if you look at stories of guys who go to other teams, the most cliched line is they are a franchise with incredible upside.

As Crazycolt said, we don't know what his upside or downside is going to be. We will all find out if he was worth the money. One thing he did do that I do not like, is he bumped QB pay up on the bottom end of the scale, unproven QB's all of a sudden getting big cash. That will  only add to Luck's price.

One thing is for sure, he will not be in the shadow of a Peyton or Elway, so no comparisons to be afraid of.

Next, unlike last year with Hoyer and Mallett, he will have a LOOONNNGGG leash even if he has a rough start. Too much invested in him to not give him a big enough rope. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

A lot of people would.

If you ask the average NFL fan if they would take $20 million, or $10 million and a Super Bowl... Take less money and try to repeat as SB champs.

If Osweiler wanted SB rings, he would have stayed with Denver.  He obviously wanted the $$$, and I do blame him for it.  If Denver actually does repeat with a combo of Mark Sanchez/Rookie, Osweiler will need all those $100 bills to wipe up all his tears.

Osweiler hasn't proven himself yet.  He doesn't deserve to be in the same conversation as Brady, Elway, Aikman, etc. for winning 2 SB in a row, and he definitely doesn't deserve to be in the same conversation as Manning for winning a SB with 2 different teams.

He got benched for the SB, of course he harbors resentment and leaves for more money,  But he, and Denver fans, may be left wondering what could have been...

you-were-the-chosen-one.jpg

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

If you ask the average NFL fan if they would take $20 million, or $10 million and a Super Bowl... Take less money and try to repeat as SB champs.

If Osweiler wanted SB rings, he would have stayed with Denver.  He obviously wanted the $$$, and I do blame him for it.  If Denver actually does repeat with a combo of Mark Sanchez/Rookie, Osweiler will need all those $100 bills to wipe up all his tears.

Osweiler hasn't proven himself yet.  He doesn't deserve to be in the same conversation as Brady, Elway, Aikman, etc. for winning 2 SB in a row, and he definitely doesn't deserve to be in the same conversation as Manning for winning a SB with 2 different teams.

He got benched for the SB, of course he harbors resentment and leaves for more money,  But he, and Denver fans, may be left wondering what could have been...

To be clear, I don't blame him. But you've made my point, I think.

I don't disagree with your basic point, but I don't care when players make decisions based on money. And in Osweiler's case, it's probably not reasonable to completely write off any shot of him winning a ring in Houston. I'm not that excited about their team, but if they put it all together, they have a shot.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

To be clear, I don't blame him. But you've made my point, I think.

I don't disagree with your basic point, but I don't care when players make decisions based on money. And in Osweiler's case, it's probably not reasonable to completely write off any shot of him winning a ring in Houston. I'm not that excited about their team, but if they put it all together, they have a shot.

I agree with you, but let's put a kibosh on the Texans winning the SB.  Thinking about it makes my large head and my tiny brain hurt.  I like JJ Watt, but NO SHOT.  Hah, that rhymes. :grumpy2:

The Texans aren't doing jack with Obrien. He's basically Jim Harbaugh minus the football knowledge with added crybaby fits in it's place. I know they won a few games last year but so did Kube when he was a Texan, and Kube is generally considered a bottom 5 coach even though he just won a SB!

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 1:10 PM, Archer said:

Ah, c'mon.  Give him a break.  It's not proper QB speak to say you left for the money.  This is the team he's going to lead, he's gotta say complimentary things about them!

Exactly Arch.....

.....Say that Houston is where you want to be and that its here that you will play your best.

Then go out and play your best....

He's a smart young man....sometimes its best to just smile, cash those checks and play ball...

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 9:47 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

He didn't get benched. He just resumed his position as the back up behind Manning. As far as a ring? He has one from a team he helped win enough to get home field advantage.

On 5/23/2016 at 10:58 PM, BloodyChamp said:

The Texans aren't doing jack with Obrien. He's basically Jim Harbaugh minus the football knowledge with added crybaby fits in it's place. I know they won a few games last year but so did Kube when he was a Texan, and Kube is generally considered a bottom 5 coach even though he just won a SB!

Agreed.  O'Brien doesn't have the temperament or the acumen to be a successful NFL head coach. 

O'Brien is the type of football coach who would leave starters in at the end of a game which they are down by 3 touchdowns, then run a trick play to try and get a cheap touchdown in order to make the score look closer than it really was.  Only to have it backfire and get a starter injured.

He's also the type of guy that, in a playoff game they didn't even belong in, run a direct snap to his star DE on the goalline.  Only to have it backfire.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 9:50 PM, crazycolt1 said:

He didn't get benched. He just resumed his position as the back up behind Manning. As far as a ring? He has one from a team he helped win enough to get home field advantage.

He got one ring for riding the bench in a SB.  My point is he could have stayed, started, and possibly be the starting QB for the Broncos 2nd ring in a row.  RingSSSS, plural, multiple.

It appears Osweiler chose more money over a better team, but the Texans and Broncos may prove me wrong.  Maybe he wins the SB as the Texans starting QB while the Broncos lose 10 games.

You say "resumed position as backup", I say "benched". Tomato, tomato.  It happened in the middle of a game, so I don't think it was planned.  I think Brock got benched by the coaching staff, and stayed benched through the end of the season.

4 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

He got one ring for riding the bench in a SB.  My point is he could have stayed, started, and possibly be the starting QB for the Broncos 2nd ring in a row.  RingSSSS, plural, multiple.

It appears Osweiler chose more money over a better team, but the Texans and Broncos may prove me wrong.  Maybe he wins the SB as the Texans starting QB while the Broncos lose 10 games.

You say "resumed position as backup", I say "benched". Tomato, tomato.  It happened in the middle of a game, so I don't think it was planned.  I think Brock got benched by the coaching staff, and stayed benched through the end of the season.

Sorry but if you think Manning wasn't the starter and wouldn't take back over when the coaches felt like it was time  there's not much I can tell you. So what if Brock took the money? There may more to this story than what you think too.  How many time does a team win back to back super bowls? They got beat by an 8-8 Colts team.

12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Sorry but if you think Manning wasn't the starter and wouldn't take back over when the coaches felt like it was time  there's not much I can tell you. So what if Brock took the money? There may more to this story than what you think too.  How many time does a team win back to back super bowls? They got beat by an 8-8 Colts team.

There wasn't an announcement that Manning was ready and would start, he came off the bench because Osweiler was stinking it up against the Chargers.  If Osweiler had played lights out the rest of the season, Manning never would have seen the field again.  Kubiak went the hot hand, or at least, changed from the cold hand, aka, benched his QB for not playing well.  He did it to both Manning and Osweiler in the same season, who both admitted they should have been benched for hurting their team with bad play.

The thread is about why Brock chose Houston, I say $.  I think there may be less to this story than you think...

2 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

There wasn't an announcement that Manning was ready and would start, he came off the bench because Osweiler was stinking it up against the Chargers.  If Osweiler had played lights out the rest of the season, Manning never would have seen the field again.  Kubiak went the hot hand, or at least, changed from the cold hand, aka, benched his QB for not playing well.  He did it to both Manning and Osweiler in the same season, who both admitted they should have been benched for hurting their team with bad play.

The thread is about why Brock chose Houston, I say $.  I think there may be less to this story than you think...

If you think Manning would have sit on the bench for the rest of the season I have some ocean front property here in Indiana I would sell real cheap to you. None of us knows what was going on between Osweiler, Elway and the front office. We can speculate or have an opinion but those don't make them facts. Elway low balled Osweiler as far as money paid to starting QBs in the NFL and that in itself could be what was on Osweiler's mind. To say that money was the bottom line and the only reason cant be said without knowing Brock on a personal level.

22 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If you think Manning would have sit on the bench for the rest of the season I have some ocean front property here in Indiana I would sell real cheap to you. None of us knows what was going on between Osweiler, Elway and the front office. We can speculate or have an opinion but those don't make them facts. Elway low balled Osweiler as far as money paid to starting QBs in the NFL and that in itself could be what was on Osweiler's mind. To say that money was the bottom line and the only reason cant be said without knowing Brock on a personal level.

If you think Kubiak would have put in Manning if Brock was putting up 30+ points with no turnovers, I have some mountain property on the Florida coast I would like to sell you...  You go with the hot hand, even at the expense of a legend.  Ask Joe Montana about Steve Young.

You are right, none of us knows.  That's why we're on here giving our opinions... I didn't say money was the only reason, but the main reason.

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

If you think Kubiak would have put in Manning if Brock was putting up 30+ points with no turnovers, I have some mountain property on the Florida coast I would like to sell you...  You go with the hot hand, even at the expense of a legend.  Ask Joe Montana about Steve Young.

You are right, none of us knows.  That's why we're on here giving our opinions... I didn't say money was the only reason, but the main reason.

So what would be the issue if he did it for the money? Is it mine or your place to make it an issue one way or another? It was his choice for his own reasons and it's really none of our business. If I want to make a bad guy of him I would just make it an issue of he is now a Texans QB.