Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Second Round Pick Predictions

Hey all.... I know how polarizing the 1st overall pick is on this board, so let's avoid it. Let's leave it at this-- per this report, Irsaw WILL draft a QB 1st overall. Whoever it is is still to be decided, but that is NOT what this thread is about. My question to you all is this-- who do we take second? I would love for us to grab a WR in the likes of AJ Green. My roommate is a Bengals fan (God bless him), and I watch a lot of Bengals football as a result. Yes, that Zimmer defense is a powerful asset, but offensively, two rookies (Dalton and Green) carried that team to the playoffs, and look to be very promising for the future.

Who do you think we select second? A WR? I would like to see that, even though I know our secondary needs MUCH help.

Edit: Whoops-- forgot the link. Sorry! http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/20/irsay-plans-to-draft-luck-or-griffin-even-if-peyton-is-healthy/

Hey all.... I know how polarizing the 1st overall pick is on this board, so let's avoid it. Let's leave it at this-- per this report, Irsaw WILL draft a QB 1st overall. Whoever it is is still to be decided, but that is NOT what this thread is about. My question to you all is this-- who do we take second? I would love for us to grab a WR in the likes of AJ Green. My roommate is a Bengals fan (God bless him), and I watch a lot of Bengals football as a result. Yes, that Zimmer defense is a powerful asset, but offensively, two rookies (Dalton and Green) carried that team to the playoffs, and look to be very promising for the future.

Who do you think we select second? A WR? I would like to see that, even though I know our secondary needs MUCH help.

Edit: Whoops-- forgot the link. Sorry! http://profootballta...ton-is-healthy/

Sadly, there will be no WR that comes close to AJ Green in the 2nd round. But I could see us taking someone like Muhammed Sanu from Rutgers if hes there. Or if Kendall Wright were to drop we could take him as well.

Other than a WR to help out Andrew luck who WILL be the 1st overall pick for the Colts, a NT like Dontari Poe could be an option. Dont rule out TE Dwayne Allen either since stud TEs are now the way to go. Or we could target Orson Charles in rounds 3 or 4.

Yeah I would like to see another TE with the likes of Clark as well. Fleener and Luck owe each other for a lot of their respective collegiate successes, so it would be cool to see them together again. I've seen Sanu's name quite a few times on mock drafts on here so that would be cool as well. SuperbowlorBust85-- sadly you are correct. I kinda omitted the fact that AJ Green was the 4th overall pick of the draft last year.... we sit 30 picks behind that.

Really? A WR or a TE ? Not a chance. Even if we lose wayne (which we won't) we still have garcon and blair white who are capable starters. For TE we have Tamme.

They take RG3 1st overall (why take a qb who can only throw, when you can take one that can throw AND pass) 2nd pick will go for either a DB or a OL. I would not be surprised to see the colts try and move up there 2nd rd pick to get a 2nd 1st rd pick to get a better lineman.

Hamster360, isnt a QB who can throw and a QB who can pass the same thing? Look at your post. Sorry I cant quote you since my phone doesnt allow that for some reason. And no way they take RG3 1st overall. If they want him all they need to do is trade down. For the 2nd round I think they go NT or WR if wayne leaves. My WR of choice is Dwight Jones. For 3rd I hope they get Coby Fleener, but I dont think TE is that much of a need

Really? A WR or a TE ? Not a chance. Even if we lose wayne (which we won't) we still have garcon and blair white who are capable starters. For TE we have Tamme.

They take RG3 1st overall (why take a qb who can only throw, when you can take one that can throw AND pass) 2nd pick will go for either a DB or a OL. I would not be surprised to see the colts try and move up there 2nd rd pick to get a 2nd 1st rd pick to get a better lineman.

I am so glad you are not the GM lol. RG3 over Luck and retain Wayne by overpaying for an aging WR? You must be joking.

How wonder how the perception of our needs changes once the new coaching staff is in place. They may see something totally different. Along with Grigson, we could see a draft that none of us expect.

That said, I think we DESPERATELY need a corner, and it sucks that we're going to pass on a 10 year starter like Claiborne for a QB that won't matter for 4 years. Still, there are some okay ones in the later rounds.

I am so glad you are not the GM lol. RG3 over Luck and retain Wayne by overpaying for an aging WR? You must be joking.

No respect for one of the best WR's in the NFL... You don't have any clue what Reggie Wayne will ask for. Maybe you should remember that he gave the colts a discount on his last contract so he could stay in Indianapolis.

No respect for one of the best WR's in the NFL... You don't have any clue what Reggie Wayne will ask for. Maybe you should remember that he gave the colts a discount on his last contract so he could stay in Indianapolis.

I would also like to keep Reggie. Even if he stays we still need a future number 1 WR. Garcon is a solid #2 but he is not on the same level as Reggie. If we are gonna bring in Luck start within the next couple years hes gonna need some weapons. Reggie has about 2 elite years left if he stays healthy. His game not being based on speed helps with his longevity as a good WR.

Some needs could very well be filled through FA if we can free up some space by maybe restrucuring and extending some contracts.

Almost any position we draft will help outside of drafting QBs consecutivly with the holes we have. lol

I would wait till the 4th or 5th to get Ryan Broyles 5'10 188 WR OU. He was projected to be a 2nd rounder before his knee injury and since he wont be able to workout at the combine he'll fall to the 4th or 5th. He also had some off-field issues early in his career(2007) but has said to have matured ALOT. He's a very smooth runner but undersized but doesnt play like it, hes willing to go up and put his body on the line. As for the 2nd round I could a NT or OG

How wonder how the perception of our needs changes once the new coaching staff is in place. They may see something totally different. Along with Grigson, we could see a draft that none of us expect.

That said, I think we DESPERATELY need a corner, and it sucks that we're going to pass on a 10 year starter like Claiborne for a QB that won't matter for 4 years. Still, there are some okay ones in the later rounds.

Just a hypothetical question, but if you could have Revis for 10yrs as a starter or Peyton Manning for 10yrs as a starter (both in their primes), who would you choose? I know that Luck may not end up as good as Peyton, but its likely that Claiborne wont end up as good as Revis, either...Personally, i would MUCH rather have 10yrs of Peyton Manning than Revis...but to each their own.

Also, whos to say that we dont pick up a decent CB from free agency? i have a feeling that there will be some player movement to go along with the restructuring of some of our big contracts, so it is possible, you know...its also possible to get a #1 CB in the 2nd or 3rd round. I guess we will just have to wait n see how everything shakes out.

Just a hypothetical question, but if you could have Revis for 10yrs as a starter or Peyton Manning for 10yrs as a starter (both in their primes), who would you choose? I know that Luck may not end up as good as Peyton, but its likely that Claiborne wont end up as good as Revis, either...Personally, i would MUCH rather have 10yrs of Peyton Manning than Revis...but to each their own.

Also, whos to say that we dont pick up a decent CB from free agency? i have a feeling that there will be some player movement to go along with the restructuring of some of our big contracts, so it is possible, you know...its also possible to get a #1 CB in the 2nd or 3rd round. I guess we will just have to wait n see how everything shakes out.

It's also possible to get a #1 QB in any round of the draft and undrafted as well.

Your acting like Claiborne is the only player we would get in a trade down, when we would get a lot more.

I hate to sound cliche but I think we go "best player available". If we are, indeed, rebuilding then it is all about finding the guys who are most likely to make a big impact, not the guys who can best fill holes.

Having said that, I'm hoping the BPA is either Minnifield or Barron. But, what do I know?

Your acting like Claiborne is the only player we would get in a trade down, when we would get a lot more.

without looking it up, how many players from Peyton's draft class can you think of that are big time impact players? would you go back and trade Peyton's career for a few of those guy's career's? i wouldnt

without looking it up, how many players from Peyton's draft class can you think of that are big time impact players? would you go back and trade Peyton's career for a few of those guy's career's? i wouldnt

Quit comparing college players to NFL players, that's a bad habit to get into. And you know something funny about it? We needed a quarterback! Right now, we definitely don't need a quarterback. Think before posting this next time...

Quit comparing college players to NFL players, that's a bad habit to get into. And you know something funny about it? We needed a quarterback! Right now, we definitely don't need a quarterback. Think before posting this next time...

why should i stop comparing soon to be NFL players to NFL players? Once they declare for the draft and hire agents, they are no longer "college players" anyhow. And unlike yourself, i DO think before i post.

why should i stop comparing soon to be NFL players to NFL players? Once they declare for the draft and hire agents, they are no longer "college players" anyhow. And unlike yourself, i DO think before i post.

You know why you shouldn't compare college players to NFL players? Because it's impossible.

You know why you shouldn't compare college players to NFL players? Because it's impossible.

once you learn to comprehend what you read, you may be able to understand how full of it you are... so if i compare Peyton Manning coming out of Tennessee to Andrew Luck coming out of Stanford...that is comparing two players at the same point in their respective careers...how is that impossible? when you compare drafting player A to drafting player B in the future, it is not only POSSIBLE, but it is comparing two players of the same age/position etc

once you learn to comprehend what you read, you may be able to understand how full of it you are... so if i compare Peyton Manning coming out of Tennessee to Andrew Luck coming out of Stanford...that is comparing two players at the same point in their respective careers...how is that impossible? when you compare drafting player A to drafting player B in the future, it is not only POSSIBLE, but it is comparing two players of the same age/position etc

No player is the same. And don't start being rude, it's not very nice.

Edit: Whoops-- forgot the link. Sorry! http://profootballta...ton-is-healthy/

A cornerback !!!!!! or Safety !!!!

breastsmoosh says:

Jan 20, 2012 7:21 AM

Rob Lowe informed me today that actually Fran Tarkenton will be making a comeback at the age of 71. Rob Lowe told me Tarkenton will will be joining the colts to replace manning who will be traded to the new york giants for the giants next nine 7th round picks. Rob Lowe also told me that the NFL has made a mistake and actually last years super bowl trophy should have been awared to the dolphins, vikings, steelers, ravens, packers and giants. Amazing!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/20/irsay-plans-to-draft-luck-or-griffin-even-if-peyton-is-healthy/

This guy really knows what hes talking about. Epic post!!!! He speaks only the truth.

you started the rude attitude, not me...

And i didnt say any players were the same...being comparable does not mean being the same, it means being similar...and players are most definitely similar to other players.

I asked you to think, that's a little different than calling me full of it, but whatever, no more.

I remember Bill Polian saying that he didn't like comparing college players to NFL players, except when he said Drake Nevis was similar in how the way he played to Anthony McFarland. I think that's a good idea because players don't always turn out how you expect. That's why I don't compare Claiborne to the best CB's in the league because I don't know how he will turn out. I want us to draft him because he looks very good.

I agree with a lot of you guys that our secondary is about 2-3 guys short of talent. We need another corner, a strong safety, and likely another good corner to protect ourselves from the rampant injuries. I wonder though if we can improve two areas in one pick by selecting a great DT or DE. I mean secondaries can get a lot of help when the ball comes out tipped or rushed out and off-target and our run defense has usually been lacking so a pick here might help that as well. A player like Alameda Ta'amu, Dontari Poe or a DE like Andre Branch or Vinny Curry might be the best pick here. Corners are pretty deep this draft as are WR's so I'm thinking we go:

1. QB

2. DT/DE

3. SS/CB

4. WR

5. G

6. BPA

7. BPA

I think our line will get better this year with more development of the two new OT's and more time playing together so I think we can either draft late for a guard or not at all and look for UDFA's or free agency to improve the line. Injuries were also a major cause of weakness in our line this year and that is something that you can't draft to avoid.

I also like the idea of getting an impact player on the D line. We should be able to get a starter in both the 2nd and 3rd round with as many holes as we have. At least some guys that will get some substantial playing time. A lot of needs will be better known after we see who we can keep and who we lose. With the holes we have on both sides of the ball the best player available would be the best move. Id like defense or Wide out if we lose Reggie.

I asked you to think, that's a little different than calling me full of it, but whatever, no more.

I remember Bill Polian saying that he didn't like comparing college players to NFL players, except when he said Drake Nevis was similar in how the way he played to Anthony McFarland. I think that's a good idea because players don't always turn out how you expect. That's why I don't compare Claiborne to the best CB's in the league because I don't know how he will turn out. I want us to draft him because he looks very good.

what i was trying to tell you is that i am not comparing college players to nfl players anyhow, i'm comparing them to the nfl players while they were IN college...that makes it a fair comparisson

Really? "Throw AND pass"? GREAT IDEA. Next time you decide to throw me under the bus, make a competent post while you do it.

One more thing-- pay attention to my first post. This topic has NOTHING to do with what QB we take first, so DROP IT.

what i was trying to tell you is that i am not comparing college players to nfl players anyhow, i'm comparing them to the nfl players while they were IN college...that makes it a fair comparisson

Oh, but what I mean is comparing players in general isn't reliable because no players are the same. I just used NFL and college as the example since that's what we were talking about.

Oh, but what I mean is comparing players in general isn't reliable because no players are the same. I just used NFL and college as the example since that's what we were talking about.

I didnt say they were the same...comparing players implies that they are SIMILAR in some ways, not that they are exact copies of each other...and lots of players DO have a lot of similarities with each other.

For example, if someone were to comare you to your dad, they wouldnt say that you're the same person...only that there are a lot of similarities between the two. Do you see what i'm saying?