Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Devin Mccourty's market

9-10m a year

Teams wanting him (like every):

Dallas, Philly, NYG, Washington, Chicago, St.Louis, Carolina, Atlanta, Tampa, New England, NYJ, Buffalo, INDY, Houston, Jacksonville, Tennesee, Pittsburgh, Cincy, Baltimore, Cleveland, San Diego, Denver and Oakland

I think we should pay him but considering 23 franchises probably will try our odds aren't great. Please come to indy devin

We need to get him IMO. Davis-Adams-McCourty-Toler make for a very scary secondary. Throw in Butler as our nickel CB too. Then if we shore up the front 7, and have guys putting consistent pressure on opposing QB's (Newsome, Mathis hopefully) it will make them an unbelievable secondary. We could most likely get him for 8 per instead of 9-10. 4/32 seems reasonable with todays market. I cant wait for free agency.

Don't want him for that much.

This.

At $10 m he better be a game changer. I know he's good in NE but this is #1 corner money we're talking. If Pagano is 100% certain that McCourty is perfect for his defensive philosophy then $8 m is still very rich, but doable.

Maybe the better option would be to re-sign Adams (3m), sign Pollard (3m) & sign Branch (2m). Or we could sign 2 of the 3 above, and draft either Thompson or Collins in the 1st.

Essentially we could have a fleet of good Safeties for the price of one very good Safety.

He will command $10 mil from probably a few teams. Safety FA market is thin and the draft is thin as well. I agree that he is not worth $10 mil. He has great range and instinct but not a game changer like Thomas.

IIRC, wasn't he drafted as a CB, then moved to safety?  I think he has the smallish size that's more typical of a CB...not that he's a smurf, but physicality isn't really part of his game is it?

IIRC, wasn't he drafted as a CB, then moved to safety?  I think he has the smallish size that's more typical of a CB...not that he's a smurf, but physicality isn't really part of his game is it?

Yes he was drafted as CB but he could not cover without drawing PI. The transition to safety was perfect for him as he has great range and good instincts.

I don't want him at 8+ million.

I think we pick up Tevon Branch from Oakland.  I think this is a lock because he is going to be cheap, his injuries were bone and not soft tissue, he has already visited with the team, and he is a  genetic "freak" that ran the 40 in 4.26 (as a safety!).  

Ohh, I almost forgot....he is know for shutting down the tight end "freaks" like Gronkowski because he has great man to man skills (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/06/23/countering-the-trend-how-branch-shut-down-gronkowski/).  Two years ago, before his back to back injuries, he was rated the best safety in the league vs the run. 

I know that the sexy pick right now is Da'Norris Searcy, and I think he will be good.  However, I think Tevon Branch fits the mold of a Grigs selection because his is going to be "undervalued" due to his lack of playing time the last 2 years.

In the draft I think we are going to look for a "ball hawk" safety that can play middle field like Derron Smith from Fresno State.  He can eventually take over Adam's position.

Am I crazy?   Before you answer... I also think Pagano wants Marcus Peters in the first round if he falls to us, and yes I know we need a DT.

I don't want him at 8+ million.

I think we pick up Tevon Branch from Oakland.  I think this is a lock because he is going to be cheap, his injuries were bone and not soft tissue, he has already visited with the team, and he is a  genetic "freak" that ran the 40 in 4.26 (as a safety!).  

Ohh, I almost forgot....he is know for shutting down the tight end "freaks" like Gronkowski because he has great man to man skills (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/06/23/countering-the-trend-how-branch-shut-down-gronkowski/).  Two years ago, before his back to back injuries, he was rated the best safety in the league vs the run. 

I know that the sexy pick right now is Da'Norris Searcy, and I think he will be good.  However, I think Tevon Branch fits the mold of a Grigs selection because his is going to be "undervalued" due to his lack of playing time the last 2 years.

In the draft I think we are going to look for a "ball hawk" safety that can play middle field like Derron Smith from Fresno State.  He can eventually take over Adam's position.

Am I crazy?   Before you answer... I also think Pagano wants Marcus Peters in the first round if he falls to us, and yes I know we need a DT.

Wow...good article about Tyvon and the job he did on Gronk. Now I can understand the Colts' interest in that guy. Hopefully if he comes here he can put his injury woes behind him. A safety that can do that to Gronk is a rarity and a tremendous potential asset.

It is what FA is all about you overpay for players gotta build it through the draft. Hopefully we find some help but not for that price.

I think we need to resign our guys Adams and Sergio.

We obviously need to grab some help on the back end in the draft. Hopefully Dewey can contribute this year.  

We have been hanging on the Price for a minute. He has the size and speed you are looking for if Pagano is the DB whisper.....maybe it is his time.

If we are spending that kind of money I hope it is on the front 7 specifically the DL.