Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh Gordon flunks another drug test

RockThatBlue

he was suspended for four games.

I get that. But unless he is on probation for an alcohol-related offense, I don't see why he would be suspended for a legal substance. (I am not arguing with you. Just trying to make sense out of it.) Thanks.

I hate this so bad. The kid has so much talent. Top 5 WR. Before I say this I know everyone will say its the rules and all that and I understand, but the rules for substance abuse especially need to be changed. Why ruin a kids life because he drinks or smokes weed or whatever. I think it should be up to the team to suspend a player over this, that way he would only be suspended if his drug use was affecting his play and/or the team as a whole. I'm kind of a libertarian though and strongly believe in freedom of choice. They are trying to police the players personal lives and it shouldn't be happening!!!

I hate this so bad. The kid has so much talent. Top 5 WR. Before I say this I know everyone will say its the rules and all that and I understand, but the rules for substance abuse especially need to be changed. Why ruin a kids life because he drinks or smokes weed or whatever. I think it should be up to the team to suspend a player over this, that way he would only be suspended if his drug use was affecting his play and/or the team as a whole. I'm kind of a libertarian though and strongly believe in freedom of choice. They are trying to police the players personal lives and it shouldn't be happening!!!

Why can't they just play within the rules that are in place. He is a knucklehead, and has ruined any chance of getting a monster contract

Why can't they just play within the rules that are in place. He is a knucklehead, and has ruined any chance of getting a monster contract

I understand. I'm just disagreeing with the rules. I just think he's a immature kid who will figure it out. It just takes some kids longer to grow up and I hate to see this ruin his career and his life possibly. He's probably just not ready to give all that up yet. He isn't a real drug addict either. Its sad IMO.

I understand. I'm just disagreeing with the rules. I just think he's a immature kid who will figure it out. It just takes some kids longer to grow up and I hate to see this ruin his career and his life possibly. He's probably just not ready to give all that up yet. He isn't a real drug addict either. Its sad IMO.

Remember,  the players association has to sign off on this.    The NFL just doesn't hand down these rules.   They get collectively bargained.    So,  the players have agreed to this....

I get that. But unless he is on probation for an alcohol-related offense, I don't see why he would be suspended for a legal substance. (I am not arguing with you. Just trying to make sense out of it.) Thanks.

Profootballtalk's Mike Florio confirms Josh Gordon's one-year suspension stems from a failed test for alcohol, a substance Gordon was prohibited from consuming following his July 2014 DUI.

Consuming alcohol seems minor to all of us, but it was explicitly banned for Gordon as part of his DUI treatment plan. As NFL Network's Ian Rapoport noted on Twitter, the NFL's substance abuse policy is "extremely strict and spelled out. He'll wait for 2016." Gordon will be 25 1/2 years old when the 2016 season kicks off. He led the NFL in receiving yards at age 22.

I see your point about the rules....and things like a drink at home or at the bar (with a safe ride home), or even a toot of weed in the off-season in one's home....provided it's legal in the state.

But even with the rules as they stand.....he's still exercising his freedom of choice...right?

After all, he can choose not to step outta line with this weed/alcohol business, but he's instead repeatedly chosen against a reasonable measure of self-control and....with his talent....the opportunity for a Brinks truck full of $$$$$$.

Now....I'm not a shrink and I don't know what the clinical definition of "real drug addict" is.....but it certainly sounds like Gordon has some kind of problem.  

Profootballtalk's Mike Florio confirms Josh Gordon's one-year suspension stems from a failed test for alcohol, a substance Gordon was prohibited from consuming following his July 2014 DUI.

Consuming alcohol seems minor to all of us, but it was explicitly banned for Gordon as part of his DUI treatment plan. As NFL Network's Ian Rapoport noted on Twitter, the NFL's substance abuse policy is "extremely strict and spelled out. He'll wait for 2016." Gordon will be 25 1/2 years old when the 2016 season kicks off. He led the NFL in receiving yards at age 22.

Thank you for sharing that. Hopefully Gordon gets his life in order.

I hate this so bad. The kid has so much talent. Top 5 WR. Before I say this I know everyone will say its the rules and all that and I understand, but the rules for substance abuse especially need to be changed. Why ruin a kids life because he drinks or smokes weed or whatever. I think it should be up to the team to suspend a player over this, that way he would only be suspended if his drug use was affecting his play and/or the team as a whole. I'm kind of a libertarian though and strongly believe in freedom of choice. They are trying to police the players personal lives and it shouldn't be happening!!!

You answered you own question. Substance abuse. Ruin a kids life? He is doing a good enough job all by himself. He signed a contract to get paid. He cant follow rules. He used his freedom of choice not to follow the rules that were put in front of him. One of the largest problem this country is facing is substance abuse and you want it legalized?

Just because it's alcohol don't mean he is not an addict. Alcoholics are drug addicts just the same as any other drug. Alcohol and prescription drugs are the #1 abused drugs in America.

You answered you own question. Substance abuse. Ruin a kids life? He is doing a good enough job all by himself. He signed a contract to get paid. He cant follow rules. He used his freedom of choice not to follow the rules that were put in front of him. One of the largest problem this country is facing is substance abuse and you want it legalized?

That's another topic we could argue about for hours but I'm not going there.

You answered you own question. Substance abuse. Ruin a kids life? He is doing a good enough job all by himself. He signed a contract to get paid. He cant follow rules. He used his freedom of choice not to follow the rules that were put in front of him. One of the largest problem this country is facing is substance abuse and you want it legalized?

The FDA approves far more dangerous drugs every year than weed. No one has ever overdosed on weed.