Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TY Ranked #9 overall best wr in league

dbarcawwe

Just saw this article today ranking the top 10 receivers in the league and I have to say that for the most part I agree. Finally glad TY is getting some credit for the things he was able to do against some of the best defenses. (ea. Seahawks). As for the rest, they forgot to include Josh Gordon who is top 5 in my eyes and I would have AJ over Dez and Julio. What do you guys think?

http://cover32.com/2014/05/26/top-10-in-2014-the-best-wide-receivers-in-the-nfl-today/

Just saw this article today ranking the top 10 receivers in the league and I have to say that for the most part I agree. Finally glad TY is getting some credit for the things he was able to do against some of the best defenses. (ea. Seahawks). As for the rest, they forgot to include Josh Gordon who is top 5 in my eyes and I would have AJ over Dez and Julio. What do you guys think?

http://cover32.com/2014/05/26/top-10-in-2014-the-best-wide-receivers-in-the-nfl-today/

TY deserves it. 

In my mind, Josh Gordon is the most dominating WR in the NFL. If he could get his act together he might end up as a top 5 best of all time. It is really a shame to waste such a talent. Let's hope he pulls a Cris Carter and turns his life around.

I would put Josh Gordon at 3 behind Dez and Calvin. 

What puts Dez (in your eyes) so high?  He gets a ton of media attention yes, but moreso for the team he plays for and not the play on the field.  He is good yes, but I don't see him anywhere near the talent of Megatron, Jones, Green, and Fitz.  He has the physical ability, yest seem to get shut down more than have big games.  Maybe I don't watch enough of him but I haven't seen it.

Also imo of course Antonio Brown is way way way way way way to low.  He has Ben throwing to him and who again as the other threats?  And he still carries them.  

Ehh I think that's over-rating him a bit.  He's a valuable member of this team no question, but he's strongly limited by his size.  He's not a guy who can box out the defender and go out and get a 50/50 ball most of the time.  That's an aspect you need in a true #1.

He's either open or he's not.  There are several receivers out there who are still somewhat open even when a CB has blanket coverage on them.  

Also I havn't seen him do too many impressive plays on the sidelines where he catches a ball and taps both his feet in the field before going out.  So I don't think he has the body control of some of the top tier receivers.  

No Jordy Nelson or Alshon Jefferies on this list? I think TY is on his way to being a number one just not quit there yet imo.  I would consider him 1a type or tier 2 receiver on the cusp of being a star in this league.  This year If he puts up 1200 yds and 8 tds he is our unquestioned guy and a star.  

Im sure we as Colts fans appreciate the love, but I can't agree with this. 

TY has had some pretty monster games for us, and is a phenomenal player. But I wouldn't put him near the top 10. 

If Calvin, AJ, Dez, DT, Alshon, Marshall, Jones, Fitz were offered straight up for TY we would take it no questions asked. Thats 8 guys. 

But its the remaining WR that makes this an argument.....

Allen/Patterson/Brown/Nelson/Harvin/Cruz/Ffloyd/Crabtree/Desean/Garcon/Wallace.......What about older guys like Andre/Colston/Roddy?....What about some of the rookies like Evans/Watkins?.....Is TY better than Tavon Austin or just in a better situation?

Honestly I expect him to hover around the #15 range for his career,  maybe having a monster season here and there but never a truly elite guy......but thats still awesome. 

Im sure we as Colts fans appreciate the love, but I can't agree with this

TY has had some pretty monster games for us, and is a phenomenal player. But I wouldn't put him near the top 10. 

If Calvin, AJ, Dez, DT, Alshon, Marshall, Jones, Fitz were offered straight up for TY we would take it no questions asked. Thats 8 guys. 

Allen/Patterson/Brown/Nelson/Harvin/Cruz/Ffloyd/Crabtree/Desean/Garcon/Wallace.......What about older guys like Andre/Colston/Roddy?....What about some of the rookies like Evans/Watkins?.....Is TY better than Tavon Austin or just in a better situation?

Honestly I expect him to hover around the #15 range for his career,  maybe having a monster season here and there but never a truly elite guy......but thats still awesome. 

Why can't you agree with it?You just said yourself that 8 are above him. That puts him right at 9 or 10. I'm sorry but I wouldn't take any of those others listed after 8 for TY. Harvin is always hurt, Desean is a locker room cancer and overrated, Wallace is trash, etc etc. None of those guys are "better" than TY. TY shows up in the big games, then you have guys like Crabtree who disappear during the big moments. 

And yes...TY is definitely better than Tavon Austin. 

Im sure we as Colts fans appreciate the love, but I can't agree with this. 

The difficulty with a straight up trade is that TY plays a very specific role in our offense and a lot of those guys while they may be better overall or more complete receivers then TY can't play his role as well as he can.

I might put for example Crabtree and Garcon above him as complete receivers.  BUT trading them straight up for TY I'm not sure that's something I would want to do because those guys can't take the top off a defense like TY can. . . as far as I'm concerned at that one role he's the best in the NFL.  The only competition there is Austin, Jackson - who's a cancer and Wallace who's overrated and overpaid.  Plus TY is younger then both Wallace and Jackson.  

So trading TY straight up for one of those guys isn't something I would want to do because trading him for say Crabtree means essentially getting a 3rd receiver that fits into the Reggie Wayne/Hakeem Nicks role.  We already have receivers to do that, so getting rid of a guy who opens them up and provides a deep threat like TY doesn't make sense even if I do think that Crabtree and Garcon are better overall receivers.

Why can't you agree with it?You just said yourself that 8 are above him. That puts him right at 9 or 10. I'm sorry but I wouldn't take any of those others listed after 8 for TY. Harvin is always hurt, Desean is a locker room cancer and overrated, Wallace is trash, etc etc. None of those guys are "better" than TY. TY shows up in the big games, then you have guys like Crabtree who disappear during the big moments. 

And yes...TY is definitely better than Tavon Austin. 

Really? For 1 year you wouldn't take Andre Johnson over TY....Or Cruz?...Nelson?...Cobb?.....You pick the absolute bottom rung guys (Wallace) or the low hanging fruit (Desean is a bad guy!), and dont mention how actually talented they are. Its not the Top 10 Wr who are also the best teammates, or the top 10 wr who are also not nut jobs, its the top 10 WR, and those guys are better WR than TY....If you want to include mental stability, or locker room presence, we can have that conversation, but right now its BEST WR.  

TY is really good. A fantastic player. But I think some people over sell his impact.....He had a really great season, and it was barely 1kyards (without Reggie or another serviceable WR) and had 2 games in which he scored a TD......Lets pump our breaks a little bit on calling him 1 of the 10 Best WR in the NFL. 

And for what its worth...Tavon Austin had 1247 yards from scrimmage, and 6TDs....TY had 1248 yards from scrimmage and 5TDs....not the end all be all by any means, just a little info.....

And it's not particularly close. There's not really anything Tavon does better than TY. 

Lets not forget Hilton started 10 games with Andrew Luck while Tavon Austin had to deal with Kellen Clemens throwing to him and Hilton was targeted 69 more times, Have to be targeted to get the catches

Lets not forget Hilton started 10 games with Andrew Luck while Tavon Austin had to deal with Kellen Clemens throwing to him and Hilton was targeted 69 more times, Have to be targeted to get the catches

Have to be open to get targeted. Even on a per target basis, TY blew Austin out of the water (7.85 YPT {yards per target} for TY vs 6.06 YPT for Tavon). Austin also dropped hella balls (7 total, with a 10.1% drop rate, 2nd amongst wide receivers) and was terribly inefficient (80th in DVOA).

Have to be open to get targeted. Even on a per target basis, TY blew Austin out of the water (7.85 YPT for TY vs 6.06 YPT for Tavon) Austin also dropped hella balls (7 total, with a 10.1% drop rate, 2nd amongst wide receivers) and was terribly inefficient (80th in DVOA)

"Have to be open to get targeted."........No you don't but it sure increases your chance of catching the ball unless your name is DHB. Have to have a QB that's going to throw you the ball(Or can get ya the ball) and an OC that's willing to exploit a players strengths

"Have to be open to get targeted."........No you don't but it sure increases your chance of catching it unless your name is DHB. Have to have a QB that's going to throw you the ball and an OC that's willing to exploit a players strengths

Tavon Austin's only strengths (that he showed his rookie season) are elusiveness, lateral agility, and top end speed. He can't create separation, can't beat press, and has bad hands. He's a gadget player you have to scheme touches for. Which is why he had a bad rookie year, and won't justify his draft status until he can play like an actual WR and not just catch screen passes. 

There are very few other WRs I'd swap for TY. There are definitely at least 8 more talented receivers in the NFL. But at his age and what his ceiling is, I wouldn't swap TY for a few of the guys ranked ahead of him such as Marshall. You have to take into account all aspects of each receivers game, as well the fact that TY has potential to, at his peak, be a 1300+ yard 10+ TD receiver. He didn't have the opportunity to greatly improve his stats last year like some people assume he should have based on the fact that Reggie was gone. That's the exact reason he struggled, the focus of the defense was on TY. You could tell as the season went in he improved and adjusted to the load. That's the best I can express my view and opinion on the subject.

Tavon Austin's only strengths are elusiveness, lateral agility, and top end speed. He can't create separation, can't beat press, and has bad hands. He's a gadget player you have to scheme touches for.  Which is why he had a bad rookie year, and won't justify his draft status until he can play like an actual WR and not just catch screen passes. 

All true but Hilton also has some of those same issues, He had trouble getting open when pressed, A lot of his yards came off the Go Route, Im expecting Austin to have a good year, The raw talent is there, and again ya still have to be targeted to get catches

No he didn't. 

Sorry....All Purpose yards.....He had 1 less yard than TY (as a rookie), in a bad situation, in the hardest division in the league. Your trying to make the claim that TY is somehow a far superior player, when I just dont think thats the case. 

There are very few other WRs I'd swap for TY. There are definitely at least 8 more talented receivers in the NFL. But at his age and what his ceiling is, I wouldn't swap TY for a few of the guys ranked ahead of him such as Marshall. You have to take into account all aspects of each receivers game, as well the fact that TY has potential to, at his peak, be a 1300+ yard 10+ TD receiver. He didn't have the opportunity to greatly improve his stats last year like some people assume he should have based on the fact that Reggie was gone. That's the exact reason he struggled, the focus of the defense was on TY. You could tell as the season went in he improved and adjusted to the load. That's the best I can express my view and opinion on the subject.

Do you know what they say about potential.....It gets coaches fired.....

There is not a snow balls chance that me, or any GM would take TY Hilton over Brandon Marshall right here right now. None. 

You can talk about potential all you want. But while you THINK TY could peak at 1300yds and 10TDs (maaaybe yards, no way on TDs).....Where as a guy like Marshall finished last yr at 1295/12, with a backup QB most of the season, and another WR opposite of him that finished with 1421/7....

Im not trying to bash Hilton in the slightest, he is a remarkable player. But taking off my homer glasses, I can see that the league is FULL of quality WR, some of whom are much better than TY, and around a dozen or so that can do exactly what he does, maybe better/maybe worse....Of course we as Colts fans are going to side with Hilton. But no one can tell me Hilton is clearly better than Keenan Allen, or Nelson, or Cobb, or Cruz etc etc. Its all preference at that point and there is no right or wrong. Some can have TY top 10, thats fine, I just disagree.  

Sorry....All Purpose yards.....He had 1 less yard than TY (as a rookie), in a bad situation, in the hardest division in the league. Your trying to make the claim that TY is somehow a far superior player, when I just dont think thats the case. 

It is the case. How anyone can argue otherwise astounds me. 

All purpose yards have nothing to do with their ability as receivers. And even comparing their abilities as punt returners, TY has a 10.6 YPR average (9.35 YPR last season {which would place him 11th}) against Tavons 8.5 YPR, which would place him 15th.

Now Tavon does return kick-offs better, but that's about it. Had TY had as many chances on special teams as Tavon did, he'd have blown his all-purpose yards out of the water:

Had TY had the same amount of PR and KR opportunities as Tavon he would have bested him by 450 yards. 

It is the case. How anyone can argue otherwise astounds me. 

All purpose yards have nothing to do with their ability as receivers. And even comparing their abilities as punt returners, TY has a 10.6 YPR average (9.35 YPR last season {which would place him 11th}) against Tavons 8.5 YPR, which would place him 15th.

Now Tavon does return kick-offs better, but that's about it. Had TY had as many chances on special teams as Tavon did, he'd have blown his all-purpose yards out of the water:

Had TY had the same amount of PR and KR opportunities as Tavon he would have bested him by 450 yards. 

If your going to prorate TY yards, the same applies to Austin, he'd be around 800ish yards, 6/7TDs in receiving cats.

At this very moment, I think TY is a better WR than Austin, but I dont consider it by much.... I 100% believe its within the realm of possibility for Austin to have a 72rec/850yd/5TD season next yr. Which would put him right below TY terms of statistical production in comparable years. If that happens (and thats a big IF) I think you take a good look at the situations and how they could apply considerable advantages to either player.  

At this very moment, I think TY is a better WR than Austin

For the purposes of this topic, that essentially means you can cross Austin off the list. Hilton goes above him.

As for the others:

What about some of the rookies like Evans/Watkins?

Really? Since when do we rank rookies in July? (By the way, I like a lot of the WRs in this year's draft class, but we can't talk about them yet.)

Allen/Patterson/Brown/Nelson/Harvin/Cruz/Ffloyd/Crabtree/Desean/Garcon/Wallace

I've crossed out all the receivers that I don't think are better than Hilton. There are arguments to be had about Cruz, Allen, Brown and Nelson. I'd put them all on the same tier as Hilton, and it would probably come down to my mood at any given moment as to how I'd order them.

What about older guys like Andre/Colston/Roddy?

Andre, there's an argument (and I'd probably go with Andre). The other two, no. 

So, JMO, that places Hilton in the 9-14 range, with plenty of debate to be had as to where exactly he'd fall in that range. I'm not sure how you reach the conclusion that he belongs nowhere near the top ten, as you stated. I agree that the mid-teens range is highly respectable, but that's not the point. 

And I don't mean to bring up old stuff, but you have a tendency to argue against Colts players and their status on lists like this, or HOF consideration, etc. Are you just playing devil's advocate, or do really believe that Hilton belongs nowhere near the top ten?

For the purposes of this topic, that essentially means you can cross Austin off the list. Hilton goes above him.

As for the others:

Really? Since when do we rank rookies in July? (By the way, I like a lot of the WRs in this year's draft class, but we can't talk about them yet.)

I've crossed out all the receivers that I don't think are better than Hilton. There are arguments to be had about Cruz, Allen, Brown and Nelson. I'd put them all on the same tier as Hilton, and it would probably come down to my mood at any given moment as to how I'd order them.

Andre, there's an argument (and I'd probably go with Andre). The other two, no. 

So, JMO, that places Hilton in the 9-14 range, with plenty of debate to be had as to where exactly he'd fall in that range. I'm not sure how you reach the conclusion that he belongs nowhere near the top ten, as you stated. I agree that the mid-teens range is highly respectable, but that's not the point. 

And I don't mean to bring up old stuff, but you have a tendency to argue against Colts players and their status on lists like this, or HOF consideration, etc. Are you just playing devil's advocate, or do really believe that Hilton belongs nowhere near the top ten?

This whole ranking seems like a projection, and if we are projecting WRs then I feel its relevant to point out players like Austin, Patterson, rookies etc.....

But if this is not a projection and is truly a "The Best 10WR" then I do not consider TY anywhere close. No way I can rank him above players that have performed longer with better statisticaly success, as #1 options, or some who weren't #1s but complete monsters.....If we are standing in a vaccum and I said you can select any WR. Go!" I dont think TY gets listed for awhile. How is TYs 1 year of 82/1083/5 better than Roddy Whites 95/1300/10 4 of the last 5 yrs, or Nelsons 80/1300/8 etc etc......

And even if we are projecting, what are we considering his ceiling? 85/1300/8? That would have put him well outside the top 10 in every major rec. category in the league last year. 

Im not playing devils adovcate, I just try my best to look at our own players objectively. I also am able to watch nearly every game on sunday, and waste time reading every article or video etc etc, when most people dont have the time, or interest in doing such. Many Colts fans do however, but sometimes refuse to accept that 'our guys' dont magically get better just by wearing blue. Im not accusing anyone, or you, of believing this, but we are on a Colts fans board, we are going to have that....I've argued against our guys pretty hard in a few cases, some I end up being proven wrong, or incorrect (Garcon being a quality player). But I do on occassion hit the nail on the head (Freeney, Marv 1st Ballot)......Sometimes I'll argue my belief, sometimes I'll point out a counter, not because I believe/abide by it,  but to further a discussion, by providing evidence to the contrary of the popular belief, because I find it relevant to the discussion.     

Really? For 1 year you wouldn't take Andre Johnson over TY....Or Cruz?...Nelson?...Cobb?.....You pick the absolute bottom rung guys (Wallace) or the low hanging fruit (Desean is a bad guy!), and dont mention how actually talented they are. Its not the Top 10 Wr who are also the best teammates, or the top 10 wr who are also not nut jobs, its the top 10 WR, and those guys are better WR than TY....If you want to include mental stability, or locker room presence, we can have that conversation, but right now its BEST WR.  

TY is really good. A fantastic player. But I think some people over sell his impact.....He had a really great season, and it was barely 1kyards (without Reggie or another serviceable WR) and had 2 games in which he scored a TD......Lets pump our breaks a little bit on calling him 1 of the 10 Best WR in the NFL. 

And for what its worth...Tavon Austin had 1247 yards from scrimmage, and 6TDs....TY had 1248 yards from scrimmage and 5TDs....not the end all be all by any means, just a little info.....

Oops I missed Jordy Nelson in that list. I still think it's pretty close with the others(Cobb and Cruz) to TY then a lot of people think. Still, not very hard to argue that TY is a top 15 receiver which is real good after his first 2 years. 

This whole ranking seems like a projection, and if we are projecting WRs then I feel its relevant to point out players like Austin, Patterson, rookies etc.....

Even if it's purely a projection, you can't place a rookie in the top fifteen. I won't let you. And typically, you don't rank rookies, period, because they haven't played pro ball yet.

But if this is not a projection and is truly a "The Best 10WR" then I do not consider TY anywhere close. No way I can rank him above players that have performed longer with better statisticaly success, as #1 options, or some who weren't #1s but complete monsters.....If we are standing in a vaccum and I said you can select any WR. Go!" I dont think TY gets listed for awhile. How is TYs 1 year of 82/1083/5 better than Roddy Whites 95/1300/10 4 of the last 5 yrs, or Nelsons 80/1300/8 etc etc......

And even if we are projecting, what are we considering his ceiling? 85/1300/8? That would have put him well outside the top 10 in every major rec. category in the league last year. 

These lists are always a mix of projection/production, and it's up to the beholder to determine which is more important. And it's usually done on a case-by-case basis (see the thread about Jaws/ESPN ranking Luck #5). 

Comparing Hilton to Roddy White is a perfect example. White had a really bad year last year. He was bad prior to his injury (14 catches in five games), then came back and was slow to produce, then had a couple nice games late in the season. He'll be 33 this season. He's clearly on the back end of his career, and unlike Andre Johnson, for instance, he's coming off a bad season. Projection can easily push Hilton ahead.

Jordy Nelson is also interesting. Basically two good years, and the feeling is that this is as good as he'll ever be. A #2 receiver who can put up #1 production because he plays with one of the best QBs in the league (like Greg Jennings before him). At least he's still in his physical prime.

Hilton also has an electricity that surpasses what White and Nelson have. That doesn't make him better; Wallace, Jackson and Garcon have that factor as well. But when we're projecting, it's a factor. At least it is for me.

Im not playing devils adovcate, I just try my best to look at our own players objectively. I also am able to watch nearly every game on sunday, and waste time reading every article or video etc etc, when most people dont have the time, or interest in doing such. Many Colts fans do however, but sometimes refuse to accept that 'our guys' dont magically get better just by wearing blue. Im not accusing anyone, or you, of believing this, but we are on a Colts fans board, we are going to have that....I've argued against our guys pretty hard in a few cases, some I end up being proven wrong, or incorrect (Garcon being a quality player). But I do on occassion hit the nail on the head (Freeney, Marv 1st Ballot)......Sometimes I'll argue my belief, sometimes I'll point out a counter, not because I believe/abide by it,  but to further a discussion, by providing evidence to the contrary of the popular belief, because I find it relevant to the discussion.    

Fair points.

Even if it's purely a projection, you can't place a rookie in the top fifteen. I won't let you. And typically, you don't rank rookies, period, because they haven't played pro ball yet.

These lists are always a mix of projection/production, and it's up to the beholder to determine which is more important. And it's usually done on a case-by-case basis (see the thread about Jaws/ESPN ranking Luck #5).

Comparing Hilton to Roddy White is a perfect example. White had a really bad year last year. He was bad prior to his injury (14 catches in five games), then came back and was slow to produce, then had a couple nice games late in the season. He'll be 33 this season. He's clearly on the back end of his career, and unlike Andre Johnson, for instance, he's coming off a bad season. Projection can easily push Hilton ahead.

Jordy Nelson is also interesting. Basically two good years, and the feeling is that this is as good as he'll ever be. A #2 receiver who can put up #1 production because he plays with one of the best QBs in the league (like Greg Jennings before him). At least he's still in his physical prime.

Hilton also has an electricity that surpasses what White and Nelson have. That doesn't make him better; Wallace, Jackson and Garcon have that factor as well. But when we're projecting, it's a factor. At least it is for me.

Fair points.

Perhaps I just don't agree with what they project him at. Because I wouldn't be surprised if Roddy or Jordy put up 85/1250/8 this year. But personally I would be blown away by those #s if its TY.

And I may have agreed with you 5yrs ago on the rookie WR thing, but lately teams have rreally done well with early 1st WR...Jury is still out in Austin but he looks to be a nice player. Blackmon was on his way to being a top 10wr before his brain got in the way. AJ and Julio. DHB and Crabtree, then Calvin/Ginn Jr...those are the only WR taken in the first 10pickd of a draft since 07...nice group of players in there, some were bad selections at the time. But I think with recent success of early 1st rd WR, projecting is reasonable. It may be 0% accurate, but I think the old 3yr rule is pretty much dead.

Any of top WR's list  that does not include Josh Gordon is not a very good one.

Perhaps I just don't agree with what they project him at. Because I wouldn't be surprised if Roddy or Jordy put up 85/1250/8 this year. But personally I would be blown away by those #s if its TY.

And I may have agreed with you 5yrs ago on the rookie WR thing, but lately teams have rreally done well with early 1st WR...Jury is still out in Austin but he looks to be a nice player. Blackmon was on his way to being a top 10wr before his brain got in the way. AJ and Julio. DHB and Crabtree, then Calvin/Ginn Jr...those are the only WR taken in the first 10pickd of a draft since 07...nice group of players in there, some were bad selections at the time. But I think with recent success of early 1st rd WR, projecting is reasonable. It may be 0% accurate, but I think the old 3yr rule is pretty much dead.

Why would you be surprised by that statline from Hilton? He scored all of his TDs in two ganes last year, and had a handful of dry games, and was three TDs and 200 yards off. And that's with no run game and Luck completing 60% of his passes. The ability is there, and he's still young. The only obstacle will be his role on the offense with Reggie back and other new weapons added.

As for rookies, there's nothing wrong with projecting them to play well. That's different from ranking them. And it's definitely different from ranking them ahead of a guy who had 80 catches and a thousand yards, and then was unstoppable in the playoffs.