Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Freeney - could this potentially be his last game?

chad72

Maybe it was just me but Freeney wasn't beating many guys out there. He played hard but Mathis was more disruptive.

So long, Freeney, I suppose???

Our pass rush was not getting there consistently, and theirs was, basically the difference in the game in a nutshell.

I want him to be back more than anything. He has been great in the horseshoe.. Just doesn't fit the D scheme anymore, so I'm afraid he is gone unless he takes a significant pay cut

You said it all..Great player...no longer fits our defense..even if he wasnt 33

One of my all-time favroites...but we have to get better defensively and he's just a 3rd down rusher now...

i have thought the colts should have parted ways with him last year. i would be shocked if he is a colt next year, unless no other team wants to give him enough money to make it worth him risking an injury and he signs with the colts to retire a colt. he may end up in the media in some way.

Go to Denver Freeney

No, they dont need him, they have younger legs out there that play the run well at the edges, LOL :). Sad to point that deficiency out but Freeney may have to temper his own expectations. A team like the Falcons, Saints, or Vikings that play in a pass heavy division will probably use him in their 4-3

I love what Freeney has done for this team in his time here and I will always be a fan of his....but its time for him to move on IMO.

I just honestly dont think his lack of production this season warrants him being paid a sizeable contract instead of us drafting a considerably cheaper and younger player. 5 sacks,10 tackles and alot of out of position plays against the run through 14 games isnt enough to warrant a new contract for a soon to be 33 year old 4-3 DE.

No, they dont need him, they have younger legs out there that play the run well at the edges, LOL :). Sad to point that deficiency out but Freeney may have to temper his own expectations. A team like the Falcons, Saints, or Vikings that play in a pass heavy division will probably use him in their 4-3

I would like to see him ride out with Manning but yes they don't have a need for him. I think the falcons were interested last year

I would like to see him ride out with Manning but yes they don't have a need for him. I think the falcons were interested last year

Anyone interested would have been scared away with his contract.

Like Irsay paying Peyton the $23 mil. or whatever while Peyton did not play as gratitude, chalk Freeney's $19 mil. to gratitude as well. :)

Some serious gratitude, our owner has!!! I love Mr. Irsay, he has a large heart (and obviously checkbook). :)

After this year, $43 mil. of dead cap space plus Freeney's $14 mil. cap hit come off the books???

That's not a question, right?  

Freeney will be a situational guy no matter where he goes, or if he stays.  I'd like to keep him if he'd take what he's now worth, and be satisfied coming in on passing downs.  You can't have too many good pass rushers in this league.

That's not a question, right?  

Freeney will be a situational guy no matter where he goes, or if he stays.  I'd like to keep him if he'd take what he's now worth, and be satisfied coming in on passing downs.  You can't have too many good pass rushers in this league.

A statement in excitement that I want to pinch myself but wanted to make sure before I do, hence posed it as a question!!! :)

Wow, we can now afford Tebow!  

Which is the team that does not have cheerleaders? Maybe he should go there because his strength was being a cheerleader??? (j/k) :)

Shahid Khan will resurrect Tebow's career and thus enable upliftment of ticket sales and tarps. :)

Maybe it was just me but Freeney wasn't beating many guys out there. He played hard but Mathis was more disruptive.

So long, Freeney, I suppose???

Our pass rush was not getting there consistently, and theirs was, basically the difference in the game in a nutshell.

I'm not convinced that he even played hard. I haven't seen effort from him in two years. He's checked out. Another team and a 4/3 will be a welcome change for Freeney and the colts. 

he just didnt look like he had it anymore. atleast not from a 3-4 standpoint. maybe he will fair better in a 4-3 scheme. if he does leave where ever he goes hope it works out for him. now on to rooting for manning because lord knows i dont want brady winning another superbowl. i cant stand denver but manning should atleast get one more superbowl. 

I am not sure why every one feels he will be asking for 19 mil a year, or that he would get offered that by any team. He will be 33 soon... not many players heading for their last contract get maximum deals. let alone those who were hobbled in their contract year.

I am not sure why every one feels he will be asking for 19 mil a year, or that he would get offered that by any team. He will be 33 soon... not many players heading for their last contract get maximum deals. let alone those who were hobbled in their contract year.

This is a very good point.  Also it's not like Freeney's contract averaged out to the point he was making 19 mil a year over the course of the deal.  He signed a back loaded deal.  This is the price we pay for getting him for cheaper at the start of his contract.  I also think it was never meant for Freeney to play his contract out like this this year.  I think Polian set that up planning to do one of two things either release him for Jerry Hughes after Hughes was drafted or extending the contract before this season started.  Since Grigson came Polian never got to use that plan.  I don't think Grigson wanted to extend Freeney when they were unsure if they would keep him beyond this season thus putting themselves in a spot where if they did have to release him they would have to take dead money they would other wise not have to take on.  So they just dealt with the contract and paid him. 

With that all said I don't think he comes back next year.  I don't think he fits the 3/4 and I think he will sign a smaller deal with a team running a 4/3 defense.  I am thinking the Colts would be better suited going after a guy like Kruger who is a true 3/4 OLB. 

Wasn't Freeney's cap hit about $19M with about a $14M salary?

If the dead cap space was $43 mil., that meant for players no longer on the roster, right?

Freeney's salary was $19 mil. but his cap hit was $14 mil., I thought that was not part of the dead cap space because Freeney was alive, in a cap sense :).

Capologists chime in, please. :)