Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Arians on Fleener

HtownColt

Apparently Fleener's blocking ability isn't his weak spot according to Arians it's his Receiving ability(which is great just needs some more work). Least we know both Fleener and Allen can block it's just Allen is the more polished receiver as well

“He’s solid,” said Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians of Fleener. “He’s a really good blocker on the offensive line. We need to get him better as a receiver. But he’s making progress.”

Here is the link:

http://m.heraldbulletin.com/thb/pm_104142/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=VnwnSRex

Apparently Fleener's blocking ability isn't his weak spot according to Arians it's his Receiving ability(which is great just needs some more work). Least we know both Fleener and Allen can block it's just Allen is the more polished receiver as well

“He’s solid,” said Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians of Fleener. “He’s a really good blocker on the offensive line. We need to get him better as a receiver. But he’s making progress.”

Here is the link:

http://m.heraldbulle...ntguid=VnwnSRex

Thanks for finding this... a smaller paper that I haven't seen a story from before tonight...

But, does Arians actually say Allen is a more polished receiver. It's late where I am, and i didn't see that in the story.

I find the story.... well.... a bit odd.

As coaches like to say, tape doesn't lie. They drafted Fleener as more of a receiver than a blocker, and here's Arians saying it's more the other way around. Seems curious to me. Feels like there's a piece of the puzzle missing for me.

Not a big deal. I'm sure both Allen and Fleener will catch plenty of passes. It's just that the story doesn't seem to quite add-up for me. Who knows, maybe it's just me....

Thanks for finding this... a smaller paper that I haven't seen a story from before tonight...

But, does Arians actually say Allen is a more polished receiver. It's late where I am, and i didn't see that in the story.

As coaches like to say, tape doesn't lie. They drafted Fleener as more of a receiver than a blocker, and here's Arians saying it's more the other way around. Seems curious to me. Feels like there's a piece of the puzzle missing for me.

Not a big deal. I'm sure both Allen and Fleener will catch plenty of passes. It's just that the story doesn't seem to quite add-up for me. Who knows, maybe it's just me....

Oh the whole Allen part is just my opinion thrown in there that's all. I put in quotations the stuff that came out the article

Thanks for clearing that up for me.... as I mentioned, it's late here where I am and I'm fading fast....

Brain turning to mush. Must. Get. Sleep....... Must. Get. Sleep..........

Love the article. Thanks for sharing.

What I saw in limited highlights included Allen to me had better footwork in blocking in one on one drills. Fleener struggled. As Lollygagger says above if Fleener says "Just close your eyes and hope" with an aging Freeney.......that IS scary.

I love both Allen and Fleener, and I was actually one who praised the selection of Allen as our 2nd TE in this draft. I could not believe he was there at our pick. I will root for both of them to be Pro Bowl caliber TEs. Arians offense can take them there.... with a little bit of LUCK!!! Go Colts!

Love the article. Thanks for sharing.

What I saw in limited highlights included Allen to me had better footwork in blocking in one on one drills. Fleener struggled. As Lollygagger says above if Fleener says "Just close your eyes and hope" with an aging Freeney.......that IS scary.

I love both Allen and Fleener, and I was actually one who praised the selection of Allen as our 2nd TE in this draft. I could not believe he was there at our pick. I will root for both of them to be Pro Bowl caliber TEs. Arians offense can take them there.... with a little bit of LUCK!!! Go Colts!

Aging Freeney? everybody's aging...I guess

If Fleener can block Freeney on 3rd down..he can block anyone

Aging Freeney? everybody's aging...I guess

If Fleener can block Freeney on 3rd down..he can block anyone

Aging is relative :) Kind of like Old Uncle mark and a 15 year old avatar. "Close your eyes and hope" is not a way to try and block anyone...you will end up on IR in a New York second. (Please no Tebow or Ryans references :)

I dont know after watching highlights on youtube Fleener looks like he can blow Allen out of the water. But what do i know im just a blind fan. Will be interesting to see who starts.

There called highlights for a reason. Your basing that on a couple of plays. Allen has the John Mackey award to prove his dominance as a tight end

Allen is the better all around player, i wouldnt have figured Fleener as a bad blocker i mean the guys 6'5 255 so he has to be able to hold his own... in time i think he's gonna be better than Allen but not now.

Fleener is 6'6" 252 and Allen is 6'3" 255 so he should be more solid

Am I the ONLY One who thinks that Sounds Backwards? We all sit here Day In & Day Out saying how Fleener's BLOCKING is what Scares us. Now Coach comes out and Says it's his RECEIVING ABILITY that Needs Improvement?

I mean he is the Coach, so he would know more than us I guess. But when I watched that LIVE Coverage of us at TC, Fleener's Blocking was the Problem in my eyes. But ok, guess we'll see in 5 Days

Am I the ONLY One who thinks that Sounds Backwards? We all sit here Day In & Day Out saying how Fleener's BLOCKING is what Scares us. Now Coach comes out and Says it's his RECEIVING ABILITY that Needs Improvement?

I mean he is the Coach, so he would know more than us I guess. But when I watched that LIVE Coverage of us at TC, Fleener's Blocking was the Problem in my eyes. But ok, guess we'll see in 5 Days

It's probably Fleener's route running Arians is trying to say he can improve in not his hands. Because i hear Mathis is sticking him in man to man coverage so that might be what Arians is more focused on when he says receiving ability

It's probably Fleener's route running Arians is trying to say he can improve in not his hands. Because i hear Mathis is sticking him in man to man coverage so that might be what Arians is more focused on when he says receiving ability

That was my guess as well, route running. We know he has speed and solid hands from his film. Maybe he is just not used to being moved around so much in the offense. He'll get remarkably better as the season wears on I predict.

As for Arians saying Fleener needs to improve on his blocking, makes me wonder if Arians said that very tongue-in-cheek. Just poking a jab at Fleener. I think that could be the case or it also could be the route running. Fleener can run a go, post and corner route but maybe needs work on the more intermediate stuff. Personally, I was never as concerned as many have expressed about Fleener's blocking. Stanford had no problems at all running the ball and Fleener was a core piece of their offense. Granted, blocking at the collegiate level and blocking in the NFL are two different monsters but still, I never thought Fleener was a slouch in the blocking dept. like many have said. Now Michael Egnew on the other hand, is basically Fleener lite in that he has similar receiving skills but is not a good blocker. Just my 2 cents.

Also, as to Fleener's comment...is there really anyone who thinks that Fleener literally closed his eyes before trying to take on a block? I'm hoping not but...you never know.

Fleener is 6'6" 252 and Allen is 6'3" 255 so he should be more solid

Idk who you mean as more solid but every analyst has been raving about allen and how good he's been.... fleener not so much. Players gain and lose weight all the time during the season, could have sworn he weighed 255lbs one time.

Idk who you mean as more solid but every analyst has been raving about allen and how good he's been.... fleener not so much. Players gain and lose weight all the time during the season, could have sworn he weighed 255lbs one time.

For what little it's worth....

Coby was never 250 at Stanford. He arrived at 220, went to 230 during his redshirt year and then played in the 240's, low to high, during his time. Tipped the scales at 247 on his NFL pro day in late March.

I'd be surprised if he's a pound more than 250. Never seen him listed anywhere as 255. (doesn't mean it didn't happen) He's on the leaner side for a tight end. And if he's indeed 252, I'll be curious if he can keep it on all the way through the season. Losing weight is something that happens to some rookies as they adjust to the incredibly long NFL season....

Now, if only I could lose weight!

For what little it's worth....

Coby was never 250 at Stanford. He arrived at 220, went to 230 during his redshirt year and then played in the 240's, low to high, during his time. Tipped the scales at 247 on his NFL pro day in late March.

I'd be surprised if he's a pound more than 250. Never seen him listed anywhere as 255. (doesn't mean it didn't happen) He's on the leaner side for a tight end. And if he's indeed 252, I'll be curious if he can keep it on all the way through the season. Losing weight is something that happens to some rookies as they adjust to the incredibly long NFL season....

Now, if only I could lose weight!

Im sure i read it somewhere but it dont matter point is hes a big lanky guy... On the whole weight thing it does suck... Wish i could eat as much lasanga as i want and still have abs lol

Im sure i read it somewhere but it dont matter point is hes a big lanky guy... On the whole weight thing it does suck... Wish i could eat as much lasanga as i want and still have abs lol

Yes.... a big lanky guy... as some have said, a big wide receiver disguised as a tight end.

As to the lasagna and 6-pack abs.... it's the stuff dreams are made of! :facepalm::loco:haha

Chap has said Fleener has dropped a few... this is what needs "polishing" ...

Allen has caught every thing from what I have heard.

Here Chap talks about camp and in particular Allen and Fleener... He is saying Allen has had the better camp.

The Colts have hit the jackpot at the TE position this season....

http://www.1070thefan.com/podcast/Episodes.aspx?PID=2155

I think Indy hit a gold mine with two very talented TEs in a TE happy league. All the good offenses have that a very good TE.

Pats with Gronk and Hernandez

Saints with Jimmy Graham

49ers with Vernon Davis

and The Colts did it with Marcus Pollard and Dallas Clark for a couple years during Peyton's best years.

TEs are very important in today's game and Indy has two very good ones.

I think Indy hit a gold mine with two very talented TEs in a TE happy league. All the good offenses have that a very good TE.

Pats with Gronk and Hernandez

Saints with Jimmy Graham

49ers with Vernon Davis

and The Colts did it with Marcus Pollard and Dallas Clark for a couple years during Peyton's best years.

TEs are very important in today's game and Indy has two very good ones.

Pollard and Dilger started it all... Clark came later....

Coby needs more polish in the receiving game because he's going to see plenty of time out there. Our ultimate goal is to have him be effective lining up out wide at WR as well as a normal in-line TE. I'm not surprised he's not there yet, as most TE's never get to that level.

Sounds to me like his "struggles" are probably just him trying to do too much, which is when mistakes on routine plays happen. He'll acclimate and be fine.

Dwayne's already looking like he's ready for his H-back role, and that's great news for us. He's the exception to the rule because usually rookie TE's don't come in ready to be good from day 1.

I think Fleener had a couple nice catches today, at least thats what I thought I heard the announcer say during practice a couple times, Now I dont recall hearing much about Allen at all today

If anybody ever Watched Allen, you would see that 90% of the time he is lined up in the H-Back position, something very few teams have formation for anymore. I didn't wan't Allen for 2 reasons.

I didn't know how he would due lined up parallel to the O-lineman and He is runs pretty slow and sloppy routes.

I did like his blocking and his hands and although he is slow, his run after the catch is impressive. So to hear how well he is doing makes me feel good about picking him.

I think the Problem with Fleener is, he didn't get the ball a WHOLE lot at stanford, because Stanford, when facing a tough opponent would run run run run run. The NFL is more open, so maybe he is getting the ball more than he is used to. But like I said, I think well see how good he is on Sunday...you can never tell how good a TE is in practice.

i mean he is built solid at 6'3" 255 allen is gonna be our tony gonzalez and fleener our jimmy gahram lol