Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

John Clayton Surprised With His Visit To Colts Camp

krunk

Everyone has their favorites and for me John Clayton, Tom Jackson and Dan Marino always get my attention when they speak. He likes our QB, OC, TE's and WR's.
That 2nd part of your Statement rises Two Scenarios. 1. GREAT Defense. Love to hear we're getting Pressure 2. Maybe that Pressure occured due to Poor O-Line play?
John Clayton is probably the best on ESPN IMO. Always very informative.
I do get NFL Network and thanks for reminding me I need to watch them a lot more. I'm liking what I hear from camp so far, too. More aggressiveness on defense, which will help our offense leading up to the season. The Monster is being built!

The only 3 analysts I listen to on ESPN are Mark Sherelth, Stephen A. Smith, and Skip Bayless. Marcelus Wylee is decent too. Okay, so that is 4 analysts and I can't count. Details...details. NFL Network has the best analysts around: Mike Mayock, Charles Davis, Solomon Wilcots, and I still miss Rod Woodson now a cornerbacks coach for the Oakland Raiders, a NFL HOF Safety for the Steelers.

The only 3 analysts I listen to on ESPN are Mark Sherelth, Stephen A. Smith, and Skip Bayless. Marcelus Wylee is decent too. Okay, so that is 4 analysts and I can't count. Details...details. NFL Network has the best analysts around: Mike Mayock, Charles Davis, Solomon Wilcots, and I still miss Rod Woodson now a cornerbacks coach for the Oakland Raiders, a NFL HOF Safety for the Steelers.

Those are 3 WORST analysts at ESPN lol.

Schlerith is decent but the other two you can have. They think they comedians, not analysts IMHO.

I like everyone on the NFL network except Fran Charles. Next time you see him count how many times he says "um". If you can count that high.

I like Schlereth but Bayless is interested in nothing but giving controversial answers and opinions I think, He is my least favorite and the bickering Stephen A an Skip do can give me a headache, I dont want the rehearsed debates I want facts and opinions based on players past experiences, and for god sakes who gave that talking big mouth Colin a radio show! He is another one who is all about storylines and creating controvery, Mayock is my favorite on the NFL Network

Those are 3 WORST analysts at ESPN lol.

Opinions vary...The 3 three analysts I mentioned could care less about popularity contests, will tell you when an athlete is playing poorly, and they understand how to evaluate public persona and player performance simultaneously. Stephen A. Smith can't be objective when it comes to Kobe Bryant. Skip Bayless can't be objective when it comes to Tim Tebow and the Dallas Cowboys. Mark Shereth can't be objective when it comes to John Elway. But beyond that, these 3 gentlemen are the best ESPN has to offer IMO.

Randal, weren't you the same individual who posted a forum topic about trading most of the Colts current roster for Tom Brady? Are you really in any position to critique the intellectual prowess of any other forum member on here? Everyone is entitled to their opinion including yourself as well. How much weight is given to that opinion is certainly open for debate I suppose.

Opinions vary...The 3 three analysts I mentioned could care less about popularity contests, will tell you when an athlete is playing poorly, and they understand how to evaluate public persona and player performance simultaneously. Stephen A. Smith can't be objective when it comes to Kobe Bryant. Skip Bayless can't be objective when it comes to Tim Tebow and the Dallas Cowboys. Mark Shereth can't be objective when it comes to John Elway. But beyond that, these 3 gentlemen are the best ESPN has to offer IMO.

Randal, weren't you the same individual who posted a forum topic about trading most of the Colts current roster for Tom Brady? Are you really in any position to critique the intellectual prowess of any other forum member on here? Everyone is entitled to their opinion including yourself as well. How much weight is given to that opinion is certainly open for debate I suppose.

I cant stand stephen a or skip bayless... Bayless is only employed to make stupid remarks that garner alot of attention,,,

Here is a great video of him getting owned by Mark Cuban

I cant stand stephen a or skip bayless... Bayless is only employed to make stupid remarks that garner alot of attention,,,

It's so easy to like Mark and that's just another perfect example of why.

It's so easy to like Mark and that's just another perfect example of why.

I never cared much for Mark Cuban at all. I despise the man as a matter of fact. One person's trash is yet another person's treasure as the old adage goes right? Mr. Cuban did not own anybody in that interview. The fact that so many people have a strong distaste for Skip Bayless makes me like him even more actually.

Skip isn't trying to impress anybody. He sticks to his guns and he refuses to backdown to anybody. I admire that. No athlete is beyond reproach. No athlete or GM is untouchable or immune from criticism. Do I agree with everything Skip Bayless says? Of course not. But, the man has paid his journalistic dues in football, basketball, boxing, and golf on sheer longevity alone as a beat sportswriter and that longevity and experience in the field carries more weight than Mark Cuban ever will in my book.

Schlerith is decent but the other two you can have. They think they comedians, not analysts IMHO.

I like everyone on the NFL network except Fran Charles. Next time you see him count how many times he says "um". If you can count that high.

Jim Irsay, the owner of the Colts is the undisputed Champion of the "and um" contest hands down. Mr. Irsay is a very nice man and a reputable NFL owner of the highest order, but as a public speaker....He desperately needs some professional tutoring and guidance overall.

love it. pretty much sums up the stupidity that is espn. i don't blame or dislike skip or any others like him. i'd take their job(s) if i could get it. the problem is people watch this mindless drivel. most other networks show similar garbage, whatever the genre

Jim Irsay, the owner of the Colts is the undisputed Champion of the "and um" contest hands down. Mr. Irsay is a very nice man and a reputable NFL owner of the highest order, but as a public speaker....He desperately needs some professional tutoring and guidance overall.

LOL! You are so right! At least he doesn't do it for a living like Charles. I really think Charles has a speech affliction or some form of tourrettes, so I shouldn't make light of him. But once he starts the 'uh' or 'um's he puts it in almost every word.

I think what we are seeing is the national media who just saw us go 2-14 last year and then saw us cut a bunch of players who had been stars for us in the past and just treated us like we were a 2-14 team who got worse.

Well frankly those players we lost other than Garcon and Clark aren't going to be starters on other teams. A good chunk of them aren't even on NFL rosters right now. So other than Manning clearly who I put in a different category than the others I don't know if any would count as a major loss. Sure losing Garcon wasn't ideal but I don't think losing a guy like him is a guy who is going to cripple your team especially since the Colts still have Collie resigned Wayne and drafted some young WRs. Either way I think true to ESPN they over stated our loses and didn't talk about anything we did right.

Frankly we have a better coaching staff in place now than we did last year. I also think we have done a great job replacing our older players with younger players who could have a bright future. Even when we lost Manning we replaced him with a guy who is supposed to be the best prospect since Elway (and that includes Manning in there) and thus far based on early returns he's living up to it. Then for the vets we did keep they seem to be energized by the change in direction. Sometimes change after doing things one way for so long is a good thing and I think it could go that way.

I also don't think we were a 2-14 team last year we lost a handful of games that had a play gone our way last year we would have won. We could have been like a 6-10 team last year for example. There was only really two games the Colts just never had a chance in last year the Saints game and the Texans game last year. So I do think this team wasn't as bad as they were made out to be last year to start with.

Also with Luck he's not following directly in Manning's footprints. Yes he's going to be linked to him but remember we spent all of last year watching Painter, Collins and Orlovsky lay QB. If Luck is better than them I think for the most part fans will be happy and I see no reason why Luck can't be better than them.

I do think there are going to be growing pains along the way though. I am not expecting a great season this year. I am sure Luck is doing very well in camp and the numbers back that up but I also wonder if some of that says a little more about our defense namely the secondary than it does about our offense. I think we have a very good reason to be concerned about the cornerback poistion. On offense big questions remain around the line and one of the guys that a lot of fans thought was going to be cornerstone of the new o-line is now gone. I think the line is still going to take a couple of years to pull together which probably means the running game is going to struggle. We are also still missing the big guy in the middle. I think we have some guys who can do the job but I also think any of our DTs could be released at any time if a better option came a long that the Colts could bring in.

So I think there are still concerns about this but with that said I do think unlike last year the Colts have a future to look forward too. I think we will end up with a better record than the 98 team but it'll be like the 98 team in that we'll be watching the ground work being laid for future success.

Yep. But he had to stretch to say something good about the D. Our success depends on the crowd at home games? Yeah, I know what he means, but ... come on man... Just come out and say it's a work in progress Mr. Peabody!

.......I could be wrong, but what I interpreted from that is: The defense is designed to confuse the offense and keep them guessing right up to the snap of the ball. Home crowd noise helps to prevent the QB from communicating to the offense while under center. Of course, Brady and Rogers won't get rattled, but the Colts play against alot of very average QB's this year who very well may not handle it well.

I really don't think they understand player performance. And as Jvan pointed out in the video with Mark Cuban, they really don't. But judging off your clear bias for Mark Cuban, I guess it doesn't hold any weight, even if he is right. Skip Bayless thinks Tim Tebow is a top 10 passer in the league along with other numerous sports gafs. Really shows how he much he knows about player performance right?

Actually I am and if you had any understanding of SARCASM you'd realize it was a joke thread. Guess it was clearly over your head. Maybe I shouldn't be the one having my "intellectual prowess" critqued.

Let me compile a list of some of the dumb things Skip has said:

-"Dwayne Wade is the Closest Thing To MJ"

-"The Chicago Bulls LUCKED into the #1 seed (last year)"

-"Tim Tebow is BETTER than Aaron Rodgers"

I really don't think they understand player performance. And as Jvan pointed out in the video with Mark Cuban, they really don't. But judging off your clear bias for Mark Cuban, I guess it doesn't hold any weight, even if he is right. Skip Bayless thinks Tim Tebow is a top 10 passer in the league along with other numerous sports gafs. Really shows how he much he knows about player performance right?

Actually I am and if you had any understanding of SARCASM you'd realize it was a joke thread. Guess it was clearly over your head. Maybe I shouldn't be the one having my "intellectual prowess" critqued.

Let me compile a list of some of the dumb things Skip has said:

-"Dwayne Wade is the Closest Thing To MJ"

-"The Chicago Bulls LUCKED into the #1 seed (last year)"

-"Tim Tebow is BETTER than Aaron Rodgers"

Sarcasm in it's best form Randall is supposed to be clever, witty, insightful, and possess a grain of truth to it. Your Tom Brady sarcasm failed miserably on every crucial comedic front sir. If the sarcasm is not readily apparent upon first read, the person in question has literally and symbolically crashed and burned in their method of execution, which typically is anything, but flawless. I do applaud the attempt though. The Wright Brothers crashed numerous times themselves before they successfully made their first landmark flight off the ground too.

Really? Is that the best argument you can make? Skip Bayless has said a number of dumb things. #1 I have already stated that Skip cannot be objective when it comes to both the Dallas Cowboys and the play of QB Tim Tebow. #2 Mark Cuban has been in the NBA long enough to honestly consider himself a master of basketball. #3 Skip Bayless has worked as a sportswriter for over 30 years as a journalist for the Miami Herald, the Los Angeles Times, the Dallas Morning Times, and the Chicago Tribune. During his time as a beat writer, Skip wrote extensively about Troy Aikman, Emmit Smith, Micheal Irvin, Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, and Dennis Rodman. If you seriously think Mark Cuban can compete with those legitimate credentials you are crazy Randall.

I needed a good laugh today Randall...Thank you for the comedic relief sir. haha:lol:

Once again, I do applaud your genuine and sincere attempt at launching a counter argument. You get an A+ for your effort; your final results in this endeavor however are better left unsaid...

Sarcasm in it's best form Randall is supposed to be clever, witty, insightful, and possess a grain of truth to it. Your Tom Brady sarcasm failed miserably on every crucial comedic front sir. If the sarcasm is not readily apparent upon first read, the person in question has literally and symbolically crashed and burned in their method of execution, which typically is anything, but flawless. I do applaud the attempt though. The Wright Brothers crashed numerous times themselves before they successfully made their first landmark flight off the ground too.

Really? Is that the best argument you can make? Skip Bayless has said a number of dumb things. #1 I have already stated that Skip cannot be objective when it comes to both the Dallas Cowboys and the play of QB Tim Tebow. #2 Mark Cuban has been in the NBA long enough to honestly consider himself a master of basketball. #3 Skip Bayless has worked as a sportswriter for over 30 years as a journalist for the Miami Herald, the Los Angeles Times, the Dallas Morning Times, and the Chicago Tribune. During his time as a beat writer, Skip wrote extensively about Troy Aikman, Emmit Smith, Micheal Irvin, Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, and Dennis Rodman. If you seriously think Mark Cuban can compete with those legitimate credentials you are crazy Randall.

I needed a good laugh today Randall...Thank you for the comedic relief sir. haha:lol:

Once again, I do applaud your genuine and sincere attempt at launching a counter argument. You get an A+ for your effort; your final results in this endeavor however are better left unsaid...

Did it now? Because I had numerous people DM me saying how funny it was and people getting a kick out of the thread. Anyone in their right mind would CLEARLY realize that trading a whole offense for Tom Brady is just silly and is a joke. And if you took an ounce of that trade thread seriously, I highly question your abilty to understand sarcasm when you claim you know what it is. I also made it enlight of numerous threads that were floating around about trades so it definetely was timely. But as I said previously, it went way over your head. Good try though.

You do realize that all of those credientials are in the MEDIA right? Mark Cuban is actually involved with an NBA team and understands fully how the system goes because he works in it. He doesn't sit there and think of opinions on what he sees like Skip does. Cuban actually sees and knows what goes on behind closed doors. You act like having 30+years in sports writing entails being a good reporter. You can be a 13 year player in the NFL and say you played on 5 different teams and be a career backup. Doesn't mean it makes you good at what you do.

Keep saying that Skip Bayless is a good reporter. The whole forum is laughing.

http://bleacherrepor...-past-few-years

I was listening to John Claytons podcast a couple of minutes ago, and even Colin Cowherd was on there

saying listen "People are underestimating the Colts". He said I love everything they have done so far to put talent on that team

Did it now? Because I had numerous people DM me saying how funny it was and people getting a kick out of the thread. Anyone in their right mind would CLEARLY realize that trading a whole offense for Tom Brady is just silly and is a joke. And if you took an ounce of that trade thread seriously, I highly question your abilty to understand sarcasm when you claim you know what it is. I also made it enlight of numerous threads that were floating around about trades so it definetely was timely. But as I said previously, it went way over your head. Good try though.

You do realize that all of those credientials are in the MEDIA right? Mark Cuban is actually involved with an NBA team and understands fully how the system goes because he works in it. He doesn't sit there and think of opinions on what he sees like Skip does. Cuban actually sees and knows what goes on behind closed doors. You act like having 30+years in sports writing entails being a good reporter. You can be a 13 year player in the NFL and say you played on 5 different teams and be a career backup. Doesn't mean it makes you good at what you do.

Keep saying that Skip Bayless is a good reporter. The whole forum is laughing.

http://bleacherrepor...-past-few-years

#1 Anyone who posts a link to a bleachers report tells me all I need to know about what they deem as a "reputable source" and I use the term loosely. #2 Thirty years in the journalism business in some of the largest cities in the U.S. namely, L.A., Dallas, and Chicago tells me that newspaper editors routinely sought out his opinion frequently on sports matters of football, baseball, basketball, boxing, and golf. When did a person's perspective on over 3 decades of sports evaluation become irrelevant simply because they possess a journalism degree and numerous awards? All "media personnel" are now null and void? Good luck trying to dissect your favorite team's strengths and weaknesses without the columns, blogs, and books they write using independent source verification and clubhouse and franchise networking then. #3 How many times do I need to saw this? When it comes to Tim Tebow and the Cowboys football organization, Skip Bayless cannot be objective. I never said everything he said was gospel sir. Would you like me to record that statement for you so you have it for future reference. 4. "The whole forum is laughing." Really? You have ESP and can read minds? If this is the case, your infinite talents are surely being wasted here. Care to reveal the winning PowerBall numbers? Now, that would be useful information.

Simply stating that numerous people found your Tom Brady thread humorous funny doesn't lend your theory credence Randall. What justification does that hypothesis reveal exactly? Someone who possess no grasp of sarcasm is going to claim that something went over my head. Okay fine, if that really makes you feel better Randall I will give you your shining moment in the sun if you so desperately need it. Fair enough.

Goodbye Randall. Clearly, we are on 2 different ends of the spectrum here. I don't care for Mark Cuban and you don't care for Skip Bayless. So be it. Have a pleasant evening Randall. It's been educational no doubt.

i predicted right after the draft that the colts will go 10-6 and make it to the afc championship game only loosing to the ravens. this will be the colts best draft class in the manning era. the colts will go as far as austin collie takes us barring injuries. collie is our wes welker and i believe he will make the 3rd down receptions in clutch situations to help luck out when needed.

C'mon guys we all know "experts" just look at names acquired. They don't do any in depth analysis.

Doing some depth analysis on a couple of these recent pickups is kinda scary they got potential but it has not been realized yet (Speaking of guys like Avery, Mcglynn, and Justice) barring injury I have some hope in Avery's ability to get deep

#1 Anyone who posts a link to a bleachers report tells me all I need to know about what they deem as a "reputable source" and I use the term loosely. #2 Thirty years in the journalism business in some of the largest cities in the U.S. namely, L.A., Dallas, and Chicago tells me that newspaper editors routinely sought out his opinion frequently on sports matters of football, baseball, basketball, boxing, and golf. When did a person's perspective on over 3 decades of sports evaluation become irrelevant simply because they possess a journalism degree and numerous awards? All "media personnel" are now null and void? Good luck trying to dissect your favorite team's strengths and weaknesses without the columns, blogs, and books they write using independent source verification and clubhouse and franchise networking then. #3 How many times do I need to saw this? When it comes to Tim Tebow and the Cowboys football organization, Skip Bayless cannot be objective. I never said everything he said was gospel sir. Would you like me to record that statement for you so you have it for future reference. 4. "The whole forum is laughing." Really? You have ESP and can read minds? If this is the case, your infinite talents are surely being wasted here. Care to reveal the winning PowerBall numbers? Now, that would be useful information.

Simply stating that numerous people found your Tom Brady thread humorous funny doesn't lend your theory credence Randall. What justification does that hypothesis reveal exactly? Someone who possess no grasp of sarcasm is going to claim that something went over my head. Okay fine, if that really makes you feel better Randall I will give you your shining moment in the sun if you so desperately need it. Fair enough.

Goodbye Randall. Clearly, we are on 2 different ends of the spectrum here. I don't care for Mark Cuban and you don't care for Skip Bayless. So be it. Have a pleasant evening Randall. It's been educational no doubt.

I don't deem Bleacher Report as reputable source for a lot of sports information but in this case we are debating "dumb" things a reporter has said. You don't need a journalism degree to post quotes which is all the article I linked is doing. Skip has been confirmed saying those things. No, it shows me that he couldn't keep a steady position within those organizations and is now a puppet for ESPN. Like I said, you can be in the NFL for 15 years and say you played for 5 different teams but be a career backup. You can say you started a few games and even won a few but at the end of the day, you are a career backup. Skip Bayless is the eqivliant to that. Please tell me what "independent sources" Skip has that has him saying all the insane things he says. I realize he's biased toward Tebow and the Cowboys but that's exactly my point. They had to do a nationwide Twitter bet with Skip in order for him NOT to talk about Tebow because he'd always find a way to bring him up in a completely irrelevent discussion almost all the time.

And as far as the forum laughing, I'm sure they are. If we did a poll asking if people though Skip Bayless is a good reporter, I'm sure the majority would say no. Hence the laughing part.

It means that people with a sense of humor actually found it funny and got a kick out of it and didn't take it seriously. Just because you are the exception to the rule doesn't mean the rule is broken. People knew it was a joke from the get go. You did not.

I don't deem Bleacher Report as reputable source for a lot of sports information but in this case we are debating "dumb" things a reporter has said. You don't need a journalism degree to post quotes which is all the article I linked is doing. Skip has been confirmed saying those things. No, it shows me that he couldn't keep a steady position within those organizations and is now a puppet for ESPN. Like I said, you can be in the NFL for 15 years and say you played for 5 different teams but be a career backup. You can say you started a few games and even won a few but at the end of the day, you are a career backup. Skip Bayless is the eqivliant to that. Please tell me what "independent sources" Skip has that has him saying all the insane things he says. I realize he's biased toward Tebow and the Cowboys but that's exactly my point. They had to do a nationwide Twitter bet with Skip in order for him NOT to talk about Tebow because he'd always find a way to bring him up in a completely irrelevent discussion almost all the time.

And as far as the forum laughing, I'm sure they are. If we did a poll asking if people though Skip Bayless is a good reporter, I'm sure the majority would say no. Hence the laughing part.

It means that people with a sense of humor actually found it funny and got a kick out of it and didn't take it seriously. Just because you are the exception to the rule doesn't mean the rule is broken. People knew it was a joke from the get go. You did not.

Posting a Bleachers Report link and using it to validate your argument is the equivalent to deeming that resource as a credible news source regardless of how closely the article's author parallels your original thesis Randal. Journalism 101. What a person says and what sources they chose to cite says a great deal about what they deem as reliable and credible unless the person highlights a different justification for using the link in the first place. You didn't do that Randal. The implication being that tabloid journalism is on the same level as the New York Times. Sorry, there is no equal level of reputation and integrity here.

Moving from one prestigious paper to another is simply moving up the journalistic ladder and paying your beat reporter dues not reminiscent of an NFL career backup. I have seen career athletes who have virtually no game dissection abilities and analysts who never played a down of football that are sharp, accurate, and insightful in their commentary about other players on the field.

"People knew it was a joke from the get go. You did not." Hmmm....I posted this You Tube video in response to your trade Tom Brady thread for gutting most of the Colts roster, but I have no sense of humor. Interesting...

If people hate Skip Bayless as an analyst, I am fine with that. If people laugh at me for watching Skip Bayless and finding him entertaining, I am okay with that too.

What I am not okay with is someone posting a Bleacher's Report to validate their argument and then claiming their reason for using it was to confirm "the dumb things a reporter said." Reputable sources matter Randal. The Bleacher Report is synonymous with tabloid trash like the National Inquirer. People can have a drastically different point of view from mine and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but the reliability of any source material must be able to withstand proper professional scrutiny by trusted media sources whose reputation has been well earned, proven, and validated IMO.

I am going to ask that we return the thread to its original topic, which is John Clayton's surprise at the Colts after his visit. Lets move past the argument about which analysts are legit, and which forum posters don't get it.

I find Clayton to be without fluff, and he delivers his information without bias, or at least it seems that way to me.