Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Draft Busts

Gavin

If everyone had to pick 1 bust from the entire draft who would it be and why? I think Tannehill, but that seems to be the easy pick because of limited starts as a quarterback in college and almost no talent around him at Miami or at least talent thats not past there prime anyway. also Bruce Irvin if Tannehill wasn't so easy a choice for me to pick

Robert Griffin the 3rd

1. I have my doubts as to whether Mike Shanahan can "build a system" around this kid that NFL defensive coordinators can't adjust to. For all his highly touted speed, he is now playing against the best of the best.....so a few flashes of his physical skills might happen early, but so was the case with other QBs with Vince Young and Michael Vick....and an accumulation of injuries that have degraded their dominance.

2. Add the fact that he took almost no snaps from under center at the college level and operated from a rather limited playbook...and with whatever Shanny is trying to devise, you have a learning curve to deal with at the very outset.

3. Last but not least....the Redskins gave up a king's ransom of draft picks for him. I would argue that the hype around Griffin has eclipsed that around Andrew Luck. If they don't become perennial NFC East champions or AT LEAST playoff contenders a couple of seasons from now and beyond....and given Daniel Snyder's patience level...I don't know how Griffin avoids the bust label.

I could wind up totally incorrect about this...but it's a very plausible scenario.

Robert Griffin the 3rd

1. I have my doubts as to whether Mike Shanahan can "build a system" around this kid that NFL defensive coordinators can't adjust to. For all his highly touted speed, he is now playing against the best of the best.....so a few flashes of his physical skills might happen early, but so was the case with other QBs with Vince Young and Michael Vick....and an accumulation of injuries that have degraded their dominance.

2. Add the fact that he took almost no snaps from under center at the college level and operated from a rather limited playbook...and with whatever Shanny is trying to devise, you have a learning curve to deal with at the very outset.

3. Last but not least....the Redskins gave up a king's ransom of draft picks for him. I would argue that the hype around Griffin has eclipsed that around Andrew Luck. If they don't become perennial NFC East champions or AT LEAST playoff contenders a couple of seasons from now and beyond....and given Daniel Snyder's patience level...I don't know how Griffin avoids the bust label.

I could wind up totally incorrect about this...but it's a very plausible scenario.

Don't forget reason number 4. NFC East defenses have learned how to shut down scrambling QBs like Vick and RG3, and RG3 isnt as talented a scrambler, IMO.

AJ Jenkins, like Tannehill, is a guy who just went before should have. Tannehill was a 2nd rounder in my opinion and Jenkins was a 3rd rounder. I wouldn't say both will be busts, but both went before they should have. The same could be said for Dontari Poe. As for Blackmon, I think he is a good, but not great WR. If he was in the 2011 draft, he would have gone after Green and Julio. I think Floyd will be the best WR from this draft class. As for busts, given their draft history, the Jets' selection of Coples is possible. But going from first rounders, I think the least impactful player will be AJ Jenkins. That's not to say he will be a bust and will be out of the league in a few years; he just won't live up to first round expectations.

Don't forget reason number 4. NFC East defenses have learned how to shut down scrambling QBs like Vick and RG3, and RG3 isnt as talented a scrambler, IMO.

In turn, Griffin is a much better passer than Vick. He won't have to run. He is definitely not the guy in this draft who is most likely to be a bust, not even close. I think some people tend to forget that had Luck gone to Carolina last year, they would probably be looking at a quarterback wearing number 10. That is how closely the draft experts graded Luck and Griffin, they are both going to excel in the NFL.

My choice would have to be A.J. Jenkins as well. He was not a first-round talent.

In turn, Griffin is a much better passer than Vick. He won't have to run. He is definitely not the guy in this draft who is most likely to be a bust, not even close. I think some people tend to forget that had Luck gone to Carolina last year, they would probably be looking at a quarterback wearing number 10. That is how closely the draft experts graded Luck and Griffin, they are both going to excel in the NFL.

My choice would have to be A.J. Jenkins as well. He was not a first-round talent.

He has a bad OL in front of him, so he will have to run. Also, he's a rookie, he'll panic and run or throw a bad pass when he's under pressure. Not to mention Washington is where players careers go to die. Plus, he's susceptible to injuries, and no QB with Denard Robinson, Michael Vick, or RG3 speed has succeded or won a SB. We wouldn't have drafted RG3, IMO. We wouldve kept Peyton, traded down, and tried for another SB. Then we would use the kings ransom of draft picks to start rebuilding.

He has a bad OL in front of him, so he will have to run. Also, he's a rookie, he'll panic and run or throw a bad pass when he's under pressure. Not to mention Washington is where players careers go to die. Plus, he's susceptible to injuries, and no QB with Denard Robinson, Michael Vick, or RG3 speed has succeded or won a SB. We wouldn't have drafted RG3, IMO. We wouldve kept Peyton, traded down, and tried for another SB. Then we would use the kings ransom of draft picks to start rebuilding.

Tearing your ACL once does not make you injury prone. If he does indeed have to run, he'll be good doing it, although his slighter build won't be an asset. The guy is fast, though, there is a difference between scrambling and running, ala Cam Newton. There will probably be designed plays for him and his athleticism. Elway was a running quarterback, and he won 2 Super Bowls. Manning was coming off neck surgery and was due a very significant amount of money... hypothetically, if he had stayed and gotten hurt, while there was a very good quarterback at the top of the draft, this team and it's front office would have suffered greatly, unless the Colts were bold enough to select a quarterback later in the first or early in the second with those kings ransom draft picks that you mentioned.

Tearing your ACL once does not make you injury prone.

I didn't say injury prone, I said he is more susceptible to injuries because he is small and scrambles more than most.

If he does indeed have to run, he'll be good doing it, although his slighter build won't be an asset. The guy is fast, though, there is a difference between scrambling and running, ala Cam Newton. There will probably be designed plays for him and his athleticism.

Yep.

Elway was a running quarterback, and he won 2 Super Bowls.

Elway wasnt Vick or RG3 fast, as I said. He was like Aaron Rodgers or Andrew Luck fast. Just looked it up, a 4.6 40.

Manning was coming off neck surgery and was due a very significant amount of money... hypothetically, if he had stayed and gotten hurt, while there was a very good quarterback at the top of the draft, this team and it's front office would have suffered greatly, unless the Colts were bold enough to select a quarterback later in the first or early in the second with those kings ransom draft picks that you mentioned.

We could've selected a developmental QB like the Broncos did. Yes, if it didn't work out we would start rebuilding next year.

I see what you mean. The way the quarterback position is being revolutionized now, in the next 20 years we might be looking at 32 passers who can also turn on the jets. I agree with the part about the developmental quarterback but if Manning had gone down within the first three or four games, there would be a second or third round rookie standing in the headlights trying to lead the team. I guess we should call it Curtis Painter syndrome, even though he wasn't a rookie. haha

The first guy that comes to mind for me is Tony Mandrich. Now there's a bust. Another bust who's living the good life is Back up QB for da Raiders. Matt Leinart. What's funny is he was Palmers back up at USC as well. Leinart,bust-o-matic if u ask me

AJ Jenkins, like Tannehill, is a guy who just went before should have. Tannehill was a 2nd rounder in my opinion and Jenkins was a 3rd rounder. I wouldn't say both will be busts, but both went before they should have. The same could be said for Dontari Poe. As for Blackmon, I think he is a good, but not great WR. If he was in the 2011 draft, he would have gone after Green and Julio. I think Floyd will be the best WR from this draft class. As for busts, given their draft history, the Jets' selection of Coples is possible. But going from first rounders, I think the least impactful player will be AJ Jenkins. That's not to say he will be a bust and will be out of the league in a few years; he just won't live up to first round expectations.
I think Poe will do better than some expect.

I would say a toss up between Bruce Irvin and Jenkins. Early reports on Jenkins is that he was usually on the ground in the last mini camp. Sad thing is it was a non contact camp. Also speculated that he was the 5th best WR on the team. Irvin is a one trick pony but at least he'll probably be able to be a situational player , but taken way too high.

Trent Richardson, or in particular, his ability to withstand injury. The Browns traded up one spot when they didn't have to for a 1st round 3rd overall pick when they don't have a trusted QB. This means Trent will see a ton of action, but will his 5'9" build withstand the rigors of professional football to warrant his draft status? I doubt it. Besides, "running back is the most dispensable position in the league. The Giants just won the Super Bowl after ranking dead last in rushing yards."

http://bleacherrepor...-injury-history

I don't know if you'd call that a bust pick, since I'm sure the Browns knew the risks, but I think Richardson was taken way too high. It will be a miracle if he lasts an entire season.

Trent Richardson, or in particular, his ability to withstand injury. The Browns traded up one spot when they didn't have to for a 1st round 3rd overall pick when they don't have a trusted QB. This means Trent will see a ton of action, but will his 5'9" build withstand the rigors of professional football to warrant his draft status? I doubt it. Besides, "running back is the most dispensable position in the league. The Giants just won the Super Bowl after ranking dead last in rushing yards."

I don't know if you'd call that a bust pick, since I'm sure the Browns knew the risks, but I think Richardson was taken way too high. It will be a miracle if he lasts an entire season.

Are you really saying Richardson will be injury prone because he's 5'9"? There is often a correlation between size and durability but you've got it all wrong if you're just looking at height. A 5'9" running back who weighs 230 pounds is actually going to be more durable on average than a taller player at the same weight provided that they each have similar athletic ability. Being a smaller target with a lower and more concentrated center of mass is a major benefit for the position.

The only reason there aren't a lot of backs like Richardson, Ray Rice, Frank Gore, or MJD in the league is that even by NFL standards these guys are freaks. Most guys that little can't carry 220-230 pounds of mass and still be quick enough to excel at the position.

Are you really saying Richardson will be injury prone because he's 5'9"? There is often a correlation between size and durability but you've got it all wrong if you're just looking at height. A 5'9" running back who weighs 230 pounds is actually going to be more durable on average than a taller player at the same weight provided that they each have similar athletic ability. Being a smaller target with a lower and more concentrated center of mass is a major benefit for the position.

The only reason there aren't a lot of backs like Richardson, Ray Rice, Frank Gore, or MJD in the league is that even by NFL standards these guys are freaks. Most guys that little can't carry 220-230 pounds of mass and still be quick enough to excel at the position.

Great points another worthwile "short" rb of mentioned who barely missed any time was Warrick Dunn. He was tiny and was awesome to watch! Noles Baby!

Lol. This a joke or something? As others have said, he is by no means a small running back. He's bigger than Tomlinson. He's nearly as big as Michael Turner. He's as big as Gore.

I won't say that I like a RB selection in the top 10, but if you can get good use out of the guy, why not? If it takes pressure of your passer, why not? If it balances out your offense, why not?

They felt the guy was a premiere talent that someone would've traded up to get, and the rumor was there were teams interested in trading with Minnesota to get that pick. They did what they had to do to get the guy they wanted. Smart move, IMO, if they feel that strongly about the guy.

Of course everyone is going to say AJ Jenkins and Bruce Irvin because that is who the media dubbed as "major reaches". Mel kiper and Todd Mcshay shape the public opinion.

But what if I told you Jeff Fisher was sitting on the 33rd pick hoping for AJ Jenkins to slip and was angry when the 49ers snagged him two picks before? Or that multiple teams reported having a 1st round grade on Bruce Irvin AFTER the pick (in other words, it couldn't have been a smoke screen)? Just do a quick google search with the appropriate key words and you will find legitimate sources, not some armchair hack's blog, reporting these.

As a Colts fan I LOVE ME SOME BIG 10 FOOTBALL. University of Illinois was garbage, but man, Aj Jenkins was something else. No one on that offense whatsoever except him. Awful QB play. Yet he somehow managed to light it up every week. Playmaker. Lightning fast. Amazing hands. His game is very similar to that of PITT's M. Wallace.

To be honest, I wish he had dropped to our early 2nd rd pick. But I didn't expect a player of his caliber to last. Just because Todd McShay says so doesn't make it a reach.

I dont hold Mcshays opinions high anyway. Im more of a Mike Mayock guy. But Jim Harbaugh himself had concerns of A.J. Jenkins being out of shape,. he clearly has ability, I dont know what role he will fill on the 49ers perhaps slot receiver. I haven't been following him, we will just have to wait and see.

I dont hold Mcshays opinions high anyway. Im more of a Mike Mayock guy. But Jim Harbaugh himself had concerns of A.J. Jenkins being out of shape,. he clearly has ability, I dont know what role he will fill on the 49ers perhaps slot receiver. I haven't been following him, we will just have to wait and see.

the 49ers are a complete team without many needs so they could afford to draft guys that may not see the field for awhile. even if he'd be good beforehand, I don't expect to see Jenkins to receive any type of significant action until year 3 or so. I believe SF will let him develop and play Manningham, Moss, Crabtree, Ginn, and Williams in the meantime

the 49ers are a complete team without many needs so they could afford to draft guys that may not see the field for awhile. even if he'd be good beforehand, I don't expect to see Jenkins to receive any type of significant action until year 3 or so. I believe SF will let him develop and play Manningham, Moss, Crabtree, Ginn, and Williams in the meantime

I dont see how the 49ers are a complete team without many needs. They still may need a Quarterback, having 1 decent season out of 7 could very well mean 1 hit wonder....which took 6 years to happen and even then he was just a game manager. 49ers also gave up 44 sacks last year which was tied 25th in the league

I dont see how the 49ers are a complete team without many needs. They still may need a Quarterback, having 1 decent season out of 7 could very well mean 1 hit wonder....which took 6 years to happen and even then he was just a game manager. 49ers also gave up 44 sacks last year which was tied 25th in the league

Yes but there are a lot of factors such as Alex constantly having different OC's, injuries, and a revolving door at the WR position. Also I'd say he had a pretty darn good season considering Davis was their only real offensive threat. Now with even more weapons and a year of the system under his belt, I think he will do just fine.

Their line is young, inexperienced (vs. Ravens), but still got the job done. 3 first rounders invested in that line and they'll only get better. I think they are the most complete team but not 100% complete.

Yes but there are a lot of factors such as Alex constantly having different OC's, injuries, and a revolving door at the WR position. Also I'd say he had a pretty darn good season considering Davis was their only real offensive threat. Now with even more weapons and a year of the system under his belt, I think he will do just fine.

Their line is young, inexperienced (vs. Ravens), but still got the job done. 3 first rounders invested in that line and they'll only get better. I think they are the most complete team but not 100% complete.

I think the Ravens, the Steelers and a host of others are more complete old in some spots but still productive and in some instances a high level.

• 3 weeks later...

Lol. This a joke or something?

Hey guys, guess who already needs surgery!

http://www.nfl.com/n..._headline_stack

Let's see how long he holds up when he returns presumably week 1. You know defenses are going to be licking their chops and aiming for his knees and they'll get plenty of licks if the Browns intend to use him a lot to warrant the trade and draft pick.

Hey guys, guess who already needs surgery!

http://www.nfl.com/n..._headline_stack

Let's see how long he holds up when he returns presumably week 1. You know defenses are going to be licking their chops and aiming for his knees and they'll get plenty of licks if the Browns intend to use him a lot to warrant the trade and draft pick.

I guess it must've been because the guy is 5'9". :rollseyes:

IMO

Tannehill -- On a terrible O in Miami has NO WR throw to and a so-so line. Add in he has tough D in the jets face twice and PROBABLY a tough D in Buffalo twice and oh ya you have try to stay up with the NE scoring machine as well twice. 9ASSUMING the Pats D hasnt improved at all.) Ya he is toast.

#1 Weeden - He's already older than Colt McCoy, but with LOADS less experience.

I'm going with Weeden. Seems like a great guy and a talented player. However, as you stated, he's unusually old for a rookie and this will mark him with such short shelf-life under most circumstances.

I'm calling him a '3-4 years and out of the league' kinda player.

I'm going with Weeden. Seems like a great guy and a talented player. However, as you stated, he's unusually old for a rookie and this will mark him with such short shelf-life under most circumstances.

I'm calling him a '3-4 years and out of the league' kinda player.

I would agree ruksak if he played any other position but QB, his added age MAY be a benefit as he is SMARTER than a typical rookie. And a QB can play with these new rules at a good level to age 40+.

I'm going to say Trent Richardson because I don't think running backs are worth a top 5 pick. He may give the Browns a few good to great years if he stays healthy but in the top 3 you need to draft players who will be leaders for a decade or more.

I agree with the Weeden picks, but the truth is, with his age he's been set up to be a bust, so I won't peg him as one, because truth is, he already is.

I'm not sure RG3 will be a bust, but I think he'll turn out to be pretty mediocre, and eventually a backup.

Tannehill has the potential to be, but the way the Dolphins reached on him so hard kinda make me leery to pick him. The truth is, he's a late 2nd to 3rd round QB, same as Weeden, who benefited from the Luck/RG3 debate... The media started getting hot rocks over Luck and RG3 and turned both Weeden and Tannehill into something they aren't because it gave them even more to talk about.

I think the first legitimate choice is Blackmon.