Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

HC Peyton Manning?

Nobody

I guess anything could happen.

He could go into TV, he could go into coaching.

If he does go into coaching, I could see it at the NCAA level prior to the NFL level. He does seem to be the type that is wired for competition and I'm not certain sitting on a pre-game show or in a booth calling a game will meet his needs when it comes to that.

I guess anything could happen.

He could go into TV, he could go into coaching.

If he does go into coaching, I could see it at the NCAA level prior to the NFL level. He does seem to be the type that is wired for competition and I'm not certain sitting on a pre-game show or in a booth calling a game will meet his needs when it comes to that.

I agree....I just dont see him on TV....

To listen to him talk, it sounds like he'd want to be on the sidelines helping out.

I think assistant offensive coordinator (QB coach) at a place like Tennessee...would be an entry level positon for him.

Could you imagine having Peyton as a coach?

"Look, we've gone over this a thousand times. If he lines up 2 inches outside the numbers with his left foot forward, he is in zone. If he lines up 2 inches inside with his left foot forward, he is in man. If he lines up 2 inches to the left of the numbers with his right foot forward, he is blitzing. But that's only if the safety is in the box. Now, if the safety is 15.25 yards from the line of scrimmage, everything is opposite. If the safety is less than that, it stays the same on the left side but opposite on the right side. Now, everything could change based on what the CB had for breakfast that morning..."

I think it is clear a lot of Peytons instincts could just not transfer but I see him being a qb coach and then an offensive coordinator. The only thing is that he has a HUGE TV PERSONALITY. He is just too good in front of the camera. Why in the world would you want to work that hard as a coach and deal with the pressure and stress of your team performing when you could sit in front of a camera with talking points and break down plays and use your charming personality to make money.

I would be VERY surprised to see him go to the sidelines. Great money being on TV the way Dan Marino and others are and he is so at ease and funny and his personality would gather huge ratings IMO. Analyst for FOX or CBS or NFL network for sure following Dungy and Marino. He could go the coaching route as he is more than capable but I just see him doing the Dan Marino gig but if his relationship with Irsay was good enough he could follow in John Elways footsteps. I would just be shocked if a network didn't swoop him up.

"Look, we've gone over this a thousand times. If he lines up 2 inches outside the numbers with his left foot forward, he is in zone. If he lines up 2 inches inside with his left foot forward, he is in man. If he lines up 2 inches to the left of the numbers with his right foot forward, he is blitzing. But that's only if the safety is in the box. Now, if the safety is 15.25 yards from the line of scrimmage, everything is opposite. If the safety is less than that, it stays the same on the left side but opposite on the right side. Now, everything could change based on what the CB had for breakfast that morning..."

'Supe'

Think about Peyton Manning coming to your house to recruit you or your son....

Dad says...'Okay coach...Sounds like a nice school...that UT.....But what do you REALLY know about football'???

A lot of former NFL players could easily pursue either a coaching career or television career as FJC suggests above. I also agree with FJC too that in TV the money is better and your work week is much shorter and more pleasant as well.

ESPN's own Skip Bayless has an intriguing theory about the greater the Superstar athlete you are the less likely you are to become a decent coach, coordinator, GM, or front office executive because your natural talent and gifts came too easily to you & you seldom faced any gut wrenching struggles or personal adversity. Perhaps, on some athletes that theory holds true, but I wouldn't adopt that hypothesis as a hard and fast rule myself. Although in the case of NBA Superstar Michael Jordan, the formula does indeed work. MJ was a fantastic basketball player, but a horrible GM and baseball player.

I can't see Peyton as an OC myself, but I have been wrong before. He certainly has the intellect to pull it off. If "those that can't do it teach," can those who excelled at football really teach that skill to a neophyte, still "wet behind the ears?" Knowing something well and teaching something well is a whole different animal. There are not 1 and the same thing. Being brilliant does not mean that you can effectively transfer that brilliance to someone else. If it was that simple, every franchise would just hire the smartest minds in the league and then simply accumulate Vince Lombardi trophies. It doesn't work that way unfortunately.

Yeah, there's a difference between being a brilliant football mind and being able to teach football to others. Belichick is a great teacher, but realized he had to be because he wasn't a good player. I don't know whether Manning has the temperament to become a great teacher.

'Supe'

Think about Peyton Manning coming to your house to recruit you or your son....

Dad says...'Okay coach...Sounds like a nice school...that UT.....But what do you REALLY know about football'???

lmao

"So, coach Manning...you see yourself as some kinda football expert, huh?"

Yeah, there's a difference between being a brilliant football mind and being able to teach football to others. Belichick is a great teacher, but realized he had to be because he wasn't a good player. I don't know whether Manning has the temperament to become a great teacher.

Well stated Superman. I couldn't have stated it better myself. Bravo!!! :thmup: Temperament is exactly right. Does #18 possess the patience and disposition to explain something well that a player is not grasping? Can he provide different multiple examples to get his point across? Can he detect and decipher genuine effort from sheer laziness? Only time will tell I guess.

I would love to see Peyton Manning teach Curtis Painter a thing or two. Most notably the long hair and how to cut it

Imagine your a high school kid choosing between Purdue and Tennessee...

Mom yells up to your room when you come home:

"OH I forgot to tell you. Got 2 phone calls for you today, baby!. A coach Curtis Painter from West Lafayette.

Sounded like a nice youngman. And there was this fellow named Dayton or Jaton Manning, I think it was. I'm not sure, exactly. Had a southern accent. Said he's from the University of Tennesse. ..

Wonder which number you call back first??

Imagine your a high school kid choosing between Purdue and Tennessee...

Mom yells up to your room when you come home:

"OH I forgot to tell you. Got 2 phone calls for you today, baby!. A coach Curtis Painter from West Lafayette.

Sounded like a nice youngman. And there was this fellow named Dayton or Jaton Manning, I think it was. I'm not sure, exactly. Had a southern accent. Said he's from the University of Tennesse. ..

Wonder which number you call back first??

What about a Drew Brees from Purdue....lol...a little tougher question now lol. Indeed Peyton could do no wrong in Tennessee. He could do anything he wants at that school. TBH I don't know if kids look at playing for a team like that. PM still wouldn't get the elite athletes that Saban and Miles get. He would have to prove himself all over again. His teams would have to put talent in the nfl like a factory like those schools do before he would have a shot at championship teams. I think he could be more than capable considering his mentality of being tough and precise and get a lot out of people but I just see him in front of a camera or in a front office. Lets be honest...kids now days don't respect the coaches and the nfl coaching I don't know if it would be rewarding enough. He has breathed and lived game tape and football for so long...by the time he retires his wife and kids are going to expect to see him more...and he will want to be a dad like his father was. Best opportunity to do that is being on camera working 1 to 2 days a week....not 7 days 16 hrs a day as a coach.

I love Peyton as much as anyone. But i think he would be a terrible position coach. Very few H.O.F. players have been good coaches. Their talent level is so high and expectations are so high, it would make it difficult for their players to meet expectations. I could see him in the front office though. And he would make a fantastic analyst.

I love Peyton as much as anyone. But i think he would be a terrible position coach. Very few H.O.F. players have been good coaches. Their talent level is so high and expectations are so high, it would make it difficult for their players to meet expectations. I could see him in the front office though. And he would make a fantastic analyst.

I agree with that assessment 100% jvan1973. Especially, the portion I bolded. Well said. :thmup:

lol. Peyton would make a person better but he'd be a difficult guy t work for

Peyton's not a sit behind the desk kinda guy. He's more hands on

This was some of the most fun I have had reading posts....some really fun and funny stuff. I think Peyton needs to finish out his HOF career on a positive note in Denver and most importantly end his playing career healthy.

Manning will have offers for TV sit coms, ESPN/NFL Network analyst, OC, HC, you name it he will have no problem finding the right job for him and his family. History suggests with his great character and work ethic he will succeed in anything he dedicates to.

That said, if I were him, I would make sure I had a chance to coach my kids and help them be the best they can be in life whether in sports or business etc. Life is too short not to watch the little ones grow and prosper.

I absolutely do not think that Peyton would make a good coach...he's a great player and he can do wonders for his team when he is on the field but I don't see him as a coach.

I can see him easily as a TV personality over a coach any day of the week...but we'll see what happens.

ESPN's own Skip Bayless has an intriguing theory about the greater the Superstar athlete you are the less likely you are to become a decent coach, coordinator, GM, or front office executive because your natural talent and gifts came too easily to you & you seldom faced any gut wrenching struggles or personal adversity. Perhaps, on some athletes that theory holds true, but I wouldn't adopt that hypothesis as a hard and fast rule myself. Although in the case of NBA Superstar Michael Jordan, the formula does indeed work. MJ was a fantastic basketball player, but a horrible GM and baseball player.

Interesting. Yes, MJ. and from a different sport, how about Chip Gnassi? A so-so driver, awesome winning team owner/mentor, and has reached Roger Penske level in my eyes.

I don't think Peyton will be motivated by money. Yes, it is a part, but likely not the driving factor. I'm not sure what he'll do at this point.

Interesting. Yes, MJ. and from a different sport, how about Chip Gnassi? A so-so driver, awesome winning team owner/mentor, and has reached Roger Penske level in my eyes.

I don't think Peyton will be motivated by money. Yes, it is a part, but likely not the driving factor. I'm not sure what he'll do at this point.

Nice racing comparison ColtsBlueFL. Ganassi Racing and Penske rule Indy Car andd at times have struggled to gain ground in Sprint Cup....both solid organizations.

SW mentions MJ. We can add Isiah Thomas to this list as stars who have not done well. Larry Bird was not the BEST Coach (surrounded himself with Dick Harter and Rick Carlisle) but did get the Pacers to the finals and won Coach of the Year. He also struggled early in his GM role, but patience helped him win executive of the Year.

We can go to baseball for a good example of a success story. Nolan Ryan has done an amazing job in making the Texas Rangers one of the top 3 organizations in baseball (I think number 1)

Thanks for the racing analogy!!! Good job!!

Never going to happen. With the money he has already accumulated, why would he dedicate all the time necessary to coaching when he would transition smoothly to television?

When the game is over for Peyton, he'll take part in his camps, be a great analyst, and spend time with his family to be with his kid(s).

Never going to happen. With the money he has already accumulated, why would he dedicate all the time necessary to coaching when he would transition smoothly to television?

When the game is over for Peyton, he'll take part in his camps, be a great analyst, and spend time with his family to be with his kid(s).

The only reason I would see him not doing what you just said is that it might not offer the level of competition that he might want to remain involved in.

TV would still be around football, so that might be enough, but it might not.

PM in front of the camera would be fantastic. I would tune in for that. Were Peyton in operations with some club like Indy for instance, I think he would be best in the GM position. His secret weapon is being able to communicate and teach "stuff" to not just receivers but coaches, team mates, owners, and media. I would trust his talent evaluation ability the same as I do Larry Bird's..

But, I really think that were the Manning Clan inclined to do so, they fit the perfect family structure for being a part of team ownership!

That all aside, this I know, PM will do whatever he puts his mind to doin' and that will be after he knocks off a coupla mo Super Bowls.

I think he is better suited as an offensive coordinator and obviously a quarterbacks coach, I could see him on tv doing broadcasting but I think he would want to be down on the sidelines and actually be better suited for that anyway, He would get that itch, I dont see him as a Head Coach unless its much later on in his career and he worked his way up to that.

I think he is better suited as an offensive coordinator and obviously a quarterbacks coach, I could see him on tv doing broadcasting but I think he would want to be down on the sidelines and actually be better suited for that anyway, He would get that itch, I dont see him as a Head Coach unless its much later on in his career and he worked his way up to that.

Everyone needs to keep in mind...Peyton can OWN the network! A QB coach? OC....why???...he has already done it....doing it now in Denver. He will do whatever HE wants.

Everyone needs to keep in mind...Peyton can OWN the network! A QB coach? OC....why???...he has already done it....doing it now in Denver. He will do whatever HE wants.

Yes, Peyton Manning sure can. I can see #18's billion dollar production T.V. and media powerhouse network now...Yoda Inc. "Lucrative and profitable this network will be." haha

coaching would mean a lot more hours for A LOT LESS PAY. i dont see manning as the kind of guy who will do anything for less pay

Obviously it depends on the coaching job & TV jobs.

I would say someone like Marino, Strahan, Bradshaw, or Howie Long at most make 3-4 million a year. Maybe 5.

http://www.huffingto...f_n_108868.html

The link is a report of Strahan signing with FOX at 2 million per year.

That would be the TV job I could see Manning stepping into

Someone like Gruden on MNF could likely pull in 4-5 a year. Great Money for the gig.

The money likely drops when you look at what the guys calling NCAA games make, both in the booth and studio.

Coaching

NCAA/SEC

This is from 2011 SEC football coaches, and I limited this to the SEC since that is likely where Manning would go if he were to coach college football.

http://espn.go.com/b...aching-salaries

LSU quarterbacks coach Steve Kragthorpe @ $700,000 was the highest paid position coach.

Auburn's offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn @ $1,309,600 was the highest paid coordinator.

Alabama’s Nick Saban @ $4,833,333 was the highest paid Head Coach

A USA today database on college salaries

http://www.usatoday....base/51244154/1

NFL

Belichick is reportedly earning 7.5 million

http://www.forbes.co...ches-in-sports/

Shanahan, Fisher & Carroll all pulling down 7 million a year.

http://www.theriches...id-nfl-coaches/

Coordinators and position coaches salaries aren't readily available.

This article is a bit dated, but according to it in 2005 Monte Kiffin was the highest paid OC/DC @ 1.7 million and that was 7 years ago.

http://articles.lati...ports/sp-chow10

In my opinion when it comes to Manning's future job, it won't really be about the money or the work. He's never been afraid of putting in the effort to do all he can, and he's going to put in that effort watching film whether he's talking about games or preparing for games. It's just how he is wired. A judge could sentence him to be a Buick car dealer and he's going to put in the effort of knowing everything about every model that Buick sells. That work ethic might not transfer itself into W's as a coach, and a broadcaster never has a losing record, well, maybe Tiki Barber had a losing record as a broadcaster. To me it will come down to the time he wants to spend away from his family, and how much his competitive spirit drives him into making the decision.

there's also a romantic myth that marginal or self-made players make better coaches..

That's a conclusiuon you can (andmany seem to want to) draw from a few but its juts as likely that marginal players dont know the game and that's why they were marginal players...

....i think to say that Bill Belicheck had a head startg in being a head coach because he had to learn more as a limited player is a nice made-for-TV movie but its a cliche..

....Look at presnet NFL ciaches and maybe 1/3 were good players (Harbaugh...Mike Munchak, Les Frazier.

I dont think guys like Lovie Smith and Tom Coughlin played inthe nFL at all. They were career coaches...

Manning, as a leader of the offense...would have as good a start as any of those guys

If we lived in a perfect world Peyton Manning would be our coach in 5 years :manning: :manning: :manning: . But since the world is flawed and cars dont fly yet, I see him as an analyst and most def potential H/C, O/C hopefully for our orginazation one day.

I see Peyton as a future broadcaster. He's great on TV and I always tend to fall back on one of my favorite quotes when this type of scenario is being discussed:

"Mediocre athletes that tried like heck to get good are the best coaches."

Being elite often means that much of the game just comes naturally to you and the things that you didn't have to work hard to learn tend to be difficult, if not impossible, to teach to those who don't have that same inherent grasp of the concept.