Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reitz A Starter?

Colts20593

Last year when the Colts picked this guy up we all heard that he was a "work in progress" and now he's listed as a starter. I know that could change, but has he played up to earning this? Has anyone seen him in camp perhaps or noticed him the game. Just wondering what other fans think about this, I'm surprised.

im sure the colts are just moving around players to see what will make the best o-line possible.

I agree, odds are this guy won't stay as a starter. They just want to see how he does and if he's worth a spot on the roster.

Hey, if he's playing the best, let him start. Who cares if anyone recognizes him? Who cares if he's the name everyone wants to hear out there?

I don't know much about him, but I'm all for playing the best we've got, no matter how tenured the Colt.

Agreed, but do you really believe that Joe Reitz is the best guard on the Colts.

Agreed, but do you really believe that Joe Reitz is the best guard on the Colts.

Do you believe he is worse than the rest of them?

He had some pretty decent upside from what the Colts said last year when they brought him in, and they were originally considering him for a tackle spot if I recall correctly. Came from the Ravens I think...had some sort of interesting/odd story to him but I cant recall what it was.

Anyway, he has more experience in the NFL than the others (not much, but at least a year, even if it is practice squad its still NFL), and it sounds like Diem is headed for a guard spot (I hope, because I think he would be great there if Ijilana can handle the RT spot), which if true means Reitz has to beat DeVan, and in that case, Id have to see it to believe it. I do think its very possible though.

Otherwise, if the Colts think he is the best option, I dont doubt it for a minute.

As someone else said, its not too tough to beat the others out for the Guard spot.

Why does it matter what I believe about him? That's what the coaches and scouts are for.

I know what we have on the inside has been a liability the last three years (Saturday included), so anything that suggests someone is leapfrogging ahead indicates potential, trial and error, or even improvement.

I agree, odds are this guy won't stay as a starter. They just want to see how he does and if he's worth a spot on the roster.

This would be the second game he's started, it's pretty clear the coaches are looking at him for something a little more than just being worth a roster spot. They see something in him they like and they think he can be a starter and he's getting his chance to prove that.

A starting guard with no collegiate experience and next to no nfl experience?, really it doesn't matter to me what he does in preseason I will be nervous all year lol. Any spot on the O line s a hard position to play, especialy with #18 behind you running an offense the way he does, it will be a tough job to pull off.

It don't matter what the fans think, but I can tell you that I've been to practice 3 times and IMO Reitz is better than McClendon(who im completely unimpressed with), Like I said though, don't matter what I think or anybody else on this message board.

Joe Reitz is a pretty interesting case: He was a 250/260 pound TE/OT in college, was signed undrafted to be groomed into an OT by Ravens but was eventually let go . He's now with the Colts weighing around 320 pounds, was on the practice squad last year and doesn't look like a lump of lard like some other tackles his weight. He was definitely a project player that the Ravens liked and it looks like he's improved enough to compete for a guard spot and on our team where our guards are Mike Pollak, who seems to be hated around here, and Jacques McClendon, who is unproven, there's a chance he's our best guard.

Reitz played college hoops - it is very likely he has good feet. At 320 lbs. with good feet, it isn't a big leap in logic to assume he might prove to be a solid OL. I feel badly for anyone who gets bumped to 2nd team, but know the coaching staff is doing what they feel is best.

I LOVE the possibility of Diem moving to Guard. He can be a force in limited space. The OL may be a strength this year before long, after all the talk. Can't wait for the season to begin.

Go COLTS!

Obviously size and strenght don't necessarily translate to being a good NFL Guard. McClendon is huge, strong, and reportedly very smart. Yet he hasn't shown he can play effectively in our offense. Actually, IMO Reitz has looked as good.

Reitz was good enough to be a starting center on a mid level college team. He's obviously athletic. If he can show continued improvement in the preseason, it means we'll at least have some depth at our weakest spot.

Obviously size and strenght don't necessarily translate to being a good NFL Guard. McClendon is huge, strong, and reportedly very smart. Yet he hasn't shown he can play effectively in our offense. Actually, IMO Reitz has looked as good.

Reitz was good enough to be a starting center on a mid level college team. He's obviously athletic. If he can show continued improvement in the preseason, it means we'll at least have some depth at our weakest spot.

Just to be clear we mean center in terms of basketball.

I agree I like what I have seen from Reitz. From all accounts he has worked his tail off and frankly I am happy to see a local kid having that pay off.

Again, that's the one thing about the Colts they don't care if you are the first over all draft pick or some undrafted kid who didn't play college football, if you can play they are going to play you. I know fans are in love with McClendon over his size but if just isn't giving us what we need and Reitz is I am all for playng Reitz.

Obviously size and strenght don't necessarily translate to being a good NFL Guard. McClendon is huge, strong, and reportedly very smart. Yet he hasn't shown he can play effectively in our offense.

Um excuse me?

What has Mcclendon done thats shows he can't play effectively in our offense?

What has Reitz done that shows he can play effectively in our offense?

Um excuse me?

Get benched for Reitz? Clearly they both did something that made the coaches set the depth chart they way they did or do you just think they have it out for McClendon? It's still the pre-season this line is probably going to change a bunch of times before the start of the season. With that said right now the coaches clearly feel Reitz is doing better than McClendon.

Um excuse me?

His play on Saturday is your answer. He wasn't horrible but he showed no push and was beat several times (as were just about every other guard).

At this point, they may be equally mediocre. Reitz played slightly better earning him the start this week. That's what the preseason is about, finding out which players can actually perform in game situations.

Get benched for Reitz? Clearly they both did something that made the coaches set the depth chart they way they did or do you just think they have it out for McClendon? It's still the pre-season this line is probably going to change a bunch of times before the start of the season. With that said right now the coaches clearly feel Reitz is doing better than McClendon.

Just because he got benched for Reitz doesn't mean can't play effectively in the Colts offense.

Just to be clear we mean center in terms of basketball.

I agree I like what I have seen from Reitz. From all accounts he has worked his tail off and frankly I am happy to see a local kid having that pay off.

Again, that's the one thing about the Colts they don't care if you are the first over all draft pick or some undrafted kid who didn't play college football, if you can play they are going to play you. I know fans are in love with McClendon over his size but if just isn't giving us what we need and Reitz is I am all for playng Reitz.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Not only a starting center, but I think he was their leading scorer. So he wasn't just a space eater.

I'm hoping both he and McClendon develop. The knock on Reitz is he didn't play college ball. But Big Mac didn't exactly turn heads on an average Tenn team either. I don't think he even started half the games he played there.

People keep saying how big McClendon is, Obviously those people have not seen him up close. I noticed it immediatly at the few times I've been to practice. He is not even as big as Pollack and looks like a dwarf compared to Reitz. I know that size don't automatically mean that Reitz is better, but IMO he completely outplayed McClendon both in practice and in the 1st preseason game.

I just watched the Rams game again in Slo-Mo and Joe Reitz played awesome. He drove guys into the secondary on run plays, pulled like a 5 year vet, and didn't allow his guy to even get a sniff of a QB. He and Ijalana are both bad *.

I just watched the Rams game again in Slo-Mo and Joe Reits played awesome. He drove guys into the secondary on run plays, pulled like a 5 year vet, and didn't allow his guy to even get a sniff of a QB. He and Ijalana are both bad *.

I agree. I can't see how Ijalana is not a starter by the time the regular season comes along and Reitz and Castonzo on the left side gives the Colts the best left side combination they can get IMO.

I feel we are just making moves to see what the best combination of linemen is going to be this year, or at least to start the regular season. There will probably a change or two in the starters on the O-line throughout the regular season. We are just trying to develop our young talent. I also think Diem is better suited to be a guard, but I do not necessarily trust Ijalana yet at the RT position, so that is kind of a catch 22 in my book. For me anyway, the best part of this years preseason is looking to see how both of our lines will fair in the pre-season. Lots of things can happen after three more pre-season games to solidify starting jobs on both fronts.

Just because he got benched for Reitz doesn't mean can't play effectively in the Colts offense.

I didn't say he couldn't, I was more defending Reitz by saying the simple fact that Reitz is higher on the depth chart right now than McClendon seems to show that Reitz CAN play effectively in the Colts offense at least in the coaches mind or at least is better at it at the moment than McClendon is at the moment.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Not only a starting center, but I think he was their leading scorer. So he wasn't just a space eater.

I'm hoping both he and McClendon develop. The knock on Reitz is he didn't play college ball. But Big Mac didn't exactly turn heads on an average Tenn team either. I don't think he even started half the games he played there.

He was a stud at Western, I went to Ball State at the time and every time we played them we just kept wondering how in the world Ball State let him get out of the state, or how a school like IU, Purdue, or Butler did for that matter.

Reitz started against the Rams so I don't know why people are saying that McClendon got benched? Right now they are 1A and 1B. McClendon did all right against the Rams, but Reitz was better. Reitz looks like a natural pass blocking and got up the field on his run blocks.

One other thing about Reitz, or rather a comparison experience wise, Pollard didnt play football in college either, but was VERY good as a TE for the Colts.

No football in college is odd for an NFL player, but obviously he can handle it well enough that he is on the Colts and as of right now penciled in as the starter.

I was hoping for good things out of McClendon, but he was a rather unknown player when the Colts drafted him, so if Reitz can beat him for the spot for the regular season, it shouldnt be looked at as a bad thing.

Do you believe he is worse than the rest of them?

He had some pretty decent upside from what the Colts said last year when they brought him in, and they were originally considering him for a tackle spot if I recall correctly. Came from the Ravens I think...had some sort of interesting/odd story to him but I cant recall what it was.

Anyway, he has more experience in the NFL than the others (not much, but at least a year, even if it is practice squad its still NFL), and it sounds like Diem is headed for a guard spot (I hope, because I think he would be great there if Ijilana can handle the RT spot), which if true means Reitz has to beat DeVan, and in that case, Id have to see it to believe it. I do think its very possible though.

Otherwise, if the Colts think he is the best option, I dont doubt it for a minute.

As someone else said, its not too tough to beat the others out for the Guard spot.

Story was, if i remember correctly, he used to play basketball in college.

I don't think the bigger issue is Mcclendon vs Reitz.I think Reitz will be and should be the starting LG.

What I'm trying to figure out is why Mcclendon isn't competing with Pollak and Devan for the starting RG position.Why did they move Mcclendon from RG to LG in the first place?

He (Reitz) and McClendon switched series the entire game against the Rams and Reitz did well. I thought McClendon did better but I don't know the assignments.

I do find it funny that people on this board think he's not a starter because they don't know who he is or have not seen him play and question the coaches who have watched him every practice for over a year now.

Reitz was a power forward in basketball. Mudd's (and now Metz) philosophy on pass blocking is similar to guarding the basket in basketball so a lot of the movements translates well. It's just you usually don't find many basketball players that are strong enough and bulky enough to play oline in the NFL.

Grew up knowing Joe. He has always been a very intelligent and very hard working individual. No doubt in my mind that he has worked hard enough to earn this starting position. Great size for a gaurd, every inch of 6'7 , not a fat 320 pounds by any means. Excited to see him play.

I don't think the bigger issue is Mcclendon vs Reitz.I think Reitz will be and should be the starting LG.

What I'm trying to figure out is why Mcclendon isn't competing with Pollak and Devan for the starting RG position.Why did they move Mcclendon from RG to LG in the first place?

Right now Diem is playing right guard so McClendon seems to be in the same spot as Pollak and DeVan are. It could be the Colts are trying to pick between McClendon and Reitz as starters and they know DeVan and Pollak are going to be the back ups too. It seems like they are more interested in trying Pollak at Center anyways.

As for why the moved him, if they are going to play Diem at right guard that leaves the left guard spot open and if McClendon is in the running for a starting spot he would have to move to left guard.