Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Sign Another 1St Round Draft Pick!

shecolt

One of his latest tweets:

No,we're not signing T.O.--but Tyler Bra./D.E...might help us

I highly doubt that someone has the name Tyler Bra. At least, I hope not.

Anybody know who is talking about?

I hadnt seen this one posted, i just made a topic about Brayton, merge?

Oh yeah, I remember him. When Julius Peppers was there, Tyler Brayton filled in somewhat as the other DE till Charles Johnson came along for the Panthers. The Colts courted him then but he opted to sign with the lowly Panthers since he felt he had a greater shot at getting playing time as DE in their 4-3. Now that the Panthers cut his sorry behind, he then went to the Raiders and finally now took his chance with the Colts this time to be a 4-3 DE again, I guess.

The Indianapolis Colts continued to address their defensive line by signing veteran end Tyler Brayton.

Financial terms were not available, but Tom Mills, Brayton's agent, confirmed Brayton signed a one-year contract.

"I think they plan on using him in a variety of ways,'' Mills said. "This is a very good opportunity for him.''

The 6-6, 280-pound Brayton was a 2003 first-round draft pick of the Oakland Raiders. He appeared in 15 games with Oakland last year, 14 as a starter. He has started 92 games in eight seasons.

Brayton, 31, is the latest free-agent acquisition for the Colts. Previously, they signed tackle Tommie Harris and end Jamaal Anderson. Harris and Anderson also are former first-round picks

I hadnt seen this one posted, i just made a topic about Brayton, merge?

It's easy to understand why you didn't see this as my title wouldn't have lead you to think that I was posting anything about Taylor Brayton.

I will merge these threads, but keep your title as it makes much more sense now. :)

Hmm I wonder what substances they are taking. Looks like they are just taking gambles on multiple first rounders.. I like Simms & Anderson, Harris seems to washed up (we'll see) and this guy just seems like a punk. Hmmmmmmm, I'm confused with their strategy.. I guess any risk is better none. I don't know if I like this guy though, he seems like a  head. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Hmm I wonder what substances they are taking. Looks like they are just taking gambles on multiple first rounders....., Harris seems to washed up (we'll see) ....

From what I have been hearing, Tommy Harris has looked very good and his signing might end up looking like genius. Has there been recent news to the contrary that I may have missed?

Hmm I wonder what substances they are taking. Looks like they are just taking gambles on multiple first rounders.. I like Simms & Anderson, Harris seems to washed up (we'll see) and this guy just seems like a punk. Hmmmmmmm, I'm confused with their strategy.. I guess any risk is better none. I don't know if I like this guy though, he seems like a  head. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

ryan leaf might be the next 1st rounder we take

From what I have been hearing, Tommy Harris has looked very good and his signing might end up looking like genius. Has there been recent news to the contrary that I may have missed?

It's all been speculation. A recent post on here report he has a hamstring injury, not sure how valid it is. Also that his knees are gone, ect. All hypothetical, I hope he does well but we will just have to wait and see. I'm pulling for the guy regardless of how washed out people might speculate he is.

Whoa!!! washed up? harris is 28yrs old and i was watching him closely in the rams game and not once did he get man handeled. There was one play where the gave the RB the ball and he knew exactly where the runner was headed and drove his blocker that way with the rest of the line forcing the blocker to cut back for no gain i believe. Idk anything about brayton but i know panthers fans liked him. I think some of that toughness is exactly what the colts need... if you look on i think its either NFL.com or ESPN and see how they describe the colts they called both sides offense and defense "finesse" lol i dont think any defense would want to be called that.

Geez... We go years without doing much to help our D-line, just let Freeney carry it the same way we let Manning carry the whole team, and now all the sudden we're signing up every D linemen not bolted down... What gives?

Very awkward signing... Very awkward... We're already looking at carrying a total of 9 D-linemen on the final 53 with Freeney, Mathis, Hughes, Foster, Anderson, Harris, Johnson, Nevis, and Moala...

But, we'll see where this goes, I guess. Don't expect too much from it, though...

Hmm doesn't seem like a Polian guy to me, this is pretty surprising.

Chris has been doing this very differently from his dad. Bill would never have signed this many free agents and he rarely took a chance on a guy with character issues. Chris, on the other hand, has signed a number of free agents and has even taken chances on character-issue guys like Rucker. It will definitely be interesting to see how it works out. I don't see any problem with this; if the dude can play, we keep him. If not, we release him before the season starts.

Chris has been doing this very differently from his dad. Bill would never have signed this many free agents and he rarely took a chance on a guy with character issues. Chris, on the other hand, has signed a number of free agents and has even taken chances on character-issue guys like Rucker. It will definitely be interesting to see how it works out. I don't see any problem with this; if the dude can play, we keep him. If not, we release him before the season starts.

I don't know that this isn't something Bill would be against. This is a very weird offseason with so many free agents (I believe a record number). The Colts were just able to sign a number of underperforming former first rounders who weren't getting much interest on the market. It's an odd situation that I don't think there is much precedence for. To my knowledge, all of these guys were signed to one year deals. The character issue in this instance is a nonissue as the team did bring Brayton in back in 2008 for a look, so it's not like Polian didn't look into Brayton. In fact, I recall Brayton considering both Indy and Carolina before he settled for the latter. This is the only link I could find talking about it.

I just hope they're not looking to find a replacement for Mathis knowing he's gonna want a pay raise. Why do we need so many DE's. Just doesn't make sense to me. We need a quality backup QB Polian. We got all our eggs in one basket!

my guess is to keep freeney and mathis fresh for the later parts of the season

You could be right. I hope they do keep Mathis though. We spend to much money on our offense and because of that the defense has always struggled. Maybe Chris is going to change that since he's taking over the reigns. Manning doesn't need that many weapons if the defense could put up multiple 3 and outs during a game.

I watched film of him, saw him with the Raiders / Panthers. He has deteriorated every year hes played. Don't understand this signing,,, at least it's only a year, i can't see him making the 53. We need to keep the best players and I don't see how this is a fit. Must be another Chris P. signing, I heard he's trying to make his mark. That's ok with me, as long as 8 out of your 9 "ideas" don't pan out and the team gets filled with aging semi-no-name 1st rounders who need wheel-chairs at seasons end, as opposed to a contract extension.

Two things have happened since the Colts game in Saint Louis on Saturday. First, it is relatively clear to Colts fans and probably the front office that Jerry Hughes is still not where the team would like him to be. Second, Jamaal Anderson pulled a groin and may have to miss some time.

Not unlike many of Indy’s free agent signings this off-season, Brayton is a former First Round draft pick from the 2003 NFL Draft. The 6-foot 6-inch and 280 pound Brayton has had five productive years out of his eight in the league. In those years he has produced 233 tackles, 14.5 sacks, 12 passes defended, and an interception. Brayton is regarded as an average run defender and has shown the ability to still generate pressure on opposing quarterbacks but he also has a history of some on-field behavior that will not sit well with fans in Indianapolis.

My link

Geez... We go years without doing much to help our D-line, just let Freeney carry it the same way we let Manning carry the whole team, and now all the sudden we're signing up every D linemen not bolted down... What gives?

Very awkward signing... Very awkward... We're already looking at carrying a total of 9 D-linemen on the final 53 with Freeney, Mathis, Hughes, Foster, Anderson, Harris, Johnson, Nevis, and Moala...

But, we'll see where this goes, I guess. Don't expect too much from it, though...

I dont see this free agency frenzy continuing next year. Like someone else mentioned, this year was odd because the FA market was just flooded as a byproduct of the lockout. Lots of potential bargains to be had.....

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these signings aren't back next year. I wouldn't even be surprised if they didn't make the final cut this year because we have so little invested in them.

I think this is more about hughes being bad.

lol. Why does every single signing have to be an explanation of something else?

Chris is doing essentially what Bellicheck has done, but on a much less risky level. Bring in this guy and that guy, all who have shown promise at some point in their careers, and kick the tires to see what they have left.

Let's face it folks, outside of Freeney, Mathis, Bethea, and Brackett, a good deal of our defensive starting cast would be 2nd or 3rd string on other teams. So bringing in former starters who need the opportunity to prove themselves once again will only push others to earn their spots. Do you think Moala took the signings of Anderson, Harris, and Brayton lightly? Mookie Johnson? How about Kavell Conner or Pat Angerer with the signing of Sims?

Each and every signing that has been done thus far are all one year deals that can be torn up before the start of the regular season, with very little cap or wallet effect to the Colts FO. You kick the tires, and see if any cream rises to the top. And, should Harris or Sims (or anyone else for that matter) benefit our roster enough, come next season, the Colts may look to re-sign "their own" as they'll have a full year of experience with that player.

All of these signings only imply that the Colts are doing everything they can with the limited space they have to improve their roster. It is not an indication of how poor of a player Hughes, or anyone else is for that matter. Nor is the Brayton signing an indication that the Colts are trying to replace Mathis next year. Mathis >>>>>>>>> Brayton, by a long shot. There is a reason why Mathis was demanding a contract extension and also a reason why Brayton got cut.

As to the Brayton signing, I'd figure he and Anderson look to be the part of a Raheem Brock type of role here. Spend some time at UT on passing downs, spend some time at DE on rushing downs. Those two only have to be better than Moala, Nevis, or Mathews to have a shot at sticking to the roster. They may or may not make the cut. But in any case, they give the Colts better options to select from at DT.

And come next season, you do the same thing again. Bring in FAs on 1 year deals with the opportunity to stick to the 53 man roster. So long as you don't extend significant money to an unknown quantity, you can always continue to re-sign your own each and every off season.