Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Player you wish we drafted instead? (Within reason)

dgambill

Just wondering what guy or couple of guys you feel we could have got instead of who we took this year. I looked at what the Giants did and I have to admit that they basically took 3 guys I wanted to get. At the end of round 2 they took WR Reuben Randle then CB Jaron Hosley in round 3 and in round 4 got Adrien Robinson TE. Now I am perfectly happy we got who we did but I can't say I would have complained if we would have got Randle at the top of round 3 (one pick later) then took Hosley at the top of round 4 (couple picks later) and taken Robinson in round 5.

Now I am totally ok with who we got but I have to admit I was really holding my breath to take Randle at the top of round 3. I really liked all three of those players and the only downside was we would have lost out on Chapman who I like as well so perhaps its for the best but that was my thinking at the time.

So I know a lot of people had different ideas and was wondering who they would have prefered (within reason...the guy would had to go pretty close right after or we would have had to move up a bit to get).

Everything till round 5 was fine with me till Chapman, the Ballard pick could have been Billy winn, and the Lavon Brazill pick could have been Audie Cole, that would have given us some solid players on D for the DE and LB rotation. At that point, yes, Grigson is right, the CBs were not good enough to be nickel starters unless we took a chance on Alfonso Dennard. A case could be made for Cordy Glenn but I am happy with Fleener overall if he pans out to be what he is hyped to be.

I'll go with Dennard over one of those random later picks that don't even matter. Not sure where he went exactly but he would have been better than a 3rd string back, practice squad G/OT, WR that might make the roster, or 3rd string OLB.

I could say Cordy Glenn, but I'm pretty happy with the Fleener pick.

Jamell Flemming. He and Casey Hayward are the most underrated talents of Secondary rookies.

I really really really wanted to take Hayward, but we didn't expect Packers to take him.

I'm liking the idea of Allen to go with Fleener, but I think I would have traded down and Taken Jamal Fleeming that round and use the extra pick to grab Ta'Amu or Chris Givens.

But either way, I like how the first 5 rounds of the draft went.

I think passing on a player with the plan to get player X is dangerous. Especially when you pick at the end or beginning of a round. In hindsight, yes, but when you are in that room - you just don't know how it will play out.

Pass on Fleener...we can get Allen later...well, you have to wait 30+ picks or trade up. We landed both, awesome.

I will be happy with the draft and hope that we get quality starters out of it.

I DO wish we would have come out with a corner, but Powers, Thomas, Rucker and UDFA XYZ will be fine for a year. We are definitely rebuilding...now with a possibly VERY competent offense.

Also...why the QB with the last pick?

Late round gems:

I really wanted DaQuan Menzie (5/146 - Chiefs) and/or Isaiah Frey (6/184 - Bears) for high value CB picks later in the draft. I think they'll both end up as steals for their respective teams. Part of me hopes the crowded Bears CB situation will mean Frey might become available on the waiver wire later this summer.

I really wanted Marvin Jones (5/166 - Bengals), I continue to suggest he was the most underrated WR in this year's class.

I really wanted to see us pick up Derek Moye with a 7th rounder or UDFA. Dude got shortchanged by not having a QB better than me his senior year. I still cannot believe he would want to sign as an UDFA with the Dolphins. That blows my mind. He could seek out an opportunity with so many teams, and surely someone with interest would have a better QB situation than Miami, right? This guy is big, fast, runs crisp routes, has outstanding body control, was showing improvement through his junior year, and got shortchanged by having McGloin "quarterbacking" in 2011.

The FO didnt select any CBs because they didnt see capable players who could contribute right away. Is it worth reaching for a CB when the ones you targeted are all gone? We would just end up with another kevin thomas...

Though I would have used the pick on the tackle from goergia on Dennard.... And Chandler Harnish pick on Lucas Nix...

But overall the draft was great. They stuck to a plan and didnt reach for a player that will probably be a backup at best..(besides the harnish and anderson picks)

Personally I really like fenelus and Chism. Fenelus particulary. I dont care what his 40 time was or how short he is, game tape is game tape. Arian Foster ran 4.7

Well obviously I'm going to say Tommy Streeter, who I've been talking about for months haha! Another one is taking Alfonzo Dennard instead of Justin Anderson. I would have also liked a legit guard, like Brandon Brooks or Brandon Washington who fell all the way to 200. I'm happy with how the draft turned out though.

I'm ok with how we did it really. I know a lot of people would have picked Upshaw and I must admit I would have been very tempted. That said he wouldn't start (Mathis/Freeney ahead of him unless we had a plan to move Freeney which clearly we don't) and we could have very well missed on Fleener AND Allen if we didn't take the first one available. No doubt in my mind we would have been forced to trade up into the later part of the second to get Allen if we didn't already have Fleener in tow.

That said I kinda would have liked to move up a couple picks when I saw Randle still on the board that late in round 2 as opposed to reaching for TY. To me he would start and we would have a pretty sick looking WR core. We then could have still got a solid TE in round 4 I believe (Green, Charles, or Robinson). Then perhaps since we had our WR in Randle instead of taking Brazill perhaps we look at Dennard. IDK Still satisfied with our team but I was very intrigued by Randle being there one pick ahead of us. Get the feeling he might have that Dwayne Bowe/Hakim Nicks thing. I think the Giants did very good with those picks 2,3, and 4. Not sure about the first round. When Doug Martin went off the board right before them I was thinking they would be ticked. I really didn't think Wilson was that highly rated and I thought they would either trade back or take Fleener.

Blackmon @ 4

Decastro @ 22

with an extra 2 and a 1 next year

With Colt McCoy thrown in to boot.

I'm guessing you are talking about trading the first pick and keeping Manning. That would have been nice too! lol I would have went that route myself. Could have got a qb for the future in the second round like the Broncos did or used that 1st rounder next year. Of course I'm not the Owner and we already beat that to death. Moving on....what might have been.

I think passing on a player with the plan to get player X is dangerous. Especially when you pick at the end or beginning of a round. In hindsight, yes, but when you are in that room - you just don't know how it will play out.

Pass on Fleener...we can get Allen later...well, you have to wait 30+ picks or trade up. We landed both, awesome.

I will be happy with the draft and hope that we get quality starters out of it.

I DO wish we would have come out with a corner, but Powers, Thomas, Rucker and UDFA XYZ will be fine for a year. We are definitely rebuilding...now with a possibly VERY competent offense.

Also...why the QB with the last pick?

The butterfly effect in the NFL draft. I like it. And I agree. Change one pick and all the rest could also change, since there is no way of knowing where any player ranked on boards. Allen was there at 64, but he was only there because of the 63 picks before him. Change those 63, and there is no way of knowing.

All that said... I would have taken Nix, G, Pittsburgh, instead of Brazill in the sixth. Which means I would have taken a player no NFL team drafted. Which is why I sit on message boards discussing drafts instead of working on them in real life. Brazill is the only selection I winced at (didn't understand), and I think Justice is terrible, so Ijalana has to play RT, and I would like bodies to battle it out for the one guard spot I think will be open.

I'm guessing you are talking about trading the first pick and keeping Manning. That would have been nice too! lol I would have went that route myself. Could have got a qb for the future in the second round like the Broncos did or used that 1st rounder next year. Of course I'm not the Owner and we already beat that to death. Moving on....what might have been.

I wasn't even considering Manning at that point. But yeah, that would have made it even nicer.

I wasn't even considering Manning at that point. But yeah, that would have made it even nicer.

Well no way we don't take Luck unless we didn't have Manning.

I was thinking our offense could have looked like this (as I would have drafted it) if we kept Manning and traded to the Browns as you suggest. We then get Blackmon at 4 and Reiff at 22. At 34 I would have taken Upshaw (since we would have to cut Freeney for the cap to work). In the 3rd I would have taken Trumaine Johnson. 4th round I take Ta'amu. 5th round I give up a pick next year like a 6th to move up and take Robinson at TE or next years 5th to get Charles (we would have resigned Tamme for Peyton). We can still take Ballard in the 5th with our compensatory. 6th would been nice to get Winn for DT help. 7th we get Dennard instead of our OL. Last pick is fine. Our offense and defense would have looked like this.

Blackmon (Avery #2)

Tamme (Robinson #2)

Reiff (Justice #2)

McGlynn

Satele Manning Brown (Ballard #2)

Ijalana

Costanzo

Collie

Wayne

Powers(#2 Thomas)

Upshaw (#2 Hughes)

Maola(#2 Nevis)

Ta'amu/McKinney Angerer Bethea

Redding(#2 Wynn) Conners Big Z

Mathis

Johnson(#2 Rucker) Dennard on nickle

That would be something like what we would have. WOW...there is no way that could happen like that but I still would have liked to kept Peyton and got a future qb later. Ok..I'm tired obviously this is making no sense. What could have been lol.

Unlike some others here, I trust in the colts to do what's best. I think they know better than me. At least I'm humble enough to admit it. There's nothing I would change. Roll the bones.

Minnifield

This is why nobody listens to some of you people.

I've seen several people that say we should have drafted 3 or more players Jeff fuller, Vontez Burfict and Minnifield, who weren't picked by 32 other teams in 253 picks.

You think we are the only team that needed a corner back or linebacker or a big WR.

To say you would willingly go back and draft a player you had the hindsight of knowing werent selected at all just shows why you aren't a good analyst of players.

Hindsight is 20/20 their was plenty of other moves I would have done, to late now, best to move on, we have so many needs to take one player would be to miss out on another at a position of need, with that said, yes we missed out on alot of good defensive talent but outside of Guard we took care of our offense (assuming these players we drafted work out) so now we can load up on defense next year

I've seen several people that say we should have drafted 3 or more players Jeff fuller, Vontez Burfict and Minnifield, who weren't picked by 32 other teams in 253 picks.

You think we are the only team that needed a corner back or linebacker or a big WR.

To say you would willingly go back and draft a player you had the hindsight of knowing werent selected at all just shows why you aren't a good analyst of players.

I didn't mean that I don't like our draft, I just thought that there was a pick we could have mad but didn't. I woud have picked Minnifield over Fugger, but I like Fugger a lot more than when I heard his name called because of the tapes I saw of him.

CHILL!

OUT!

This isn't ESPN or the NFL network.

CHILL!

OUT!

This isn't ESPN or the NFL network.

haha, I'm chill. But it just pevs me off when I hear people criticize the draft, then follow by saying, "I woulda" draft Dennard, Minnifield, Cliff Harris, Vontez Burfict, Jeff Fuller, Chris Polk....it's like. If I gave you a time machine, you would really go back and time and draft those fools. haha. It's almost laughable.

haha, I'm chill. But it just pevs me off when I hear people criticize the draft, then follow by saying, "I woulda" draft Dennard, Minnifield, Cliff Harris, Vontez Burfict, Jeff Fuller, Chris Polk....it's like. If I gave you a time machine, you would really go back and time and draft those fools. haha. It's almost laughable.

It's very tough to predict the draft in general. I personally would never want to be involved in picking for the draft. Heck, some people out there would've probably picked Tannehill over both Luck and RGiii. It can be tough but it still is always good to try and respect peoples opinions. Constructive critisicm is always nice, just try mellow out a bit on the guy. ;)

It's very tough to predict the draft in general. I personally would never want to be involved in picking for the draft. Heck, some people out there would've probably picked Tannehill over both Luck and RGiii. It can be tough but it still is always good to try and respect peoples opinions. Constructive critisicm is always nice, just try mellow out a bit on the guy. ;)

Please chill man I feel so sad :Cry: ;). But for realI wasn't criticizing the draft i just that minnifield could maybe have helped us more. I agree with you on that, but I feel that we could have used a later pick on a bigger need.

he mentioned Tannehill in the same breathe as Luck! :omg::excited::help:O.o

Just look at his form Gavin, how could you not mention him in the same category with Luck and RGiii. Sides his girlfriend is seriously pretty!

ns24aggienotes61145083c.jpg

eh I woulda taken Kirk Cousins if I was Miami and was gonna reach on a quarterback or Wilson, guy from Wisconsin